Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

[UK] CONGU handicap issue.

puttingpirate

Hey there. 

So this happened about 3 months ago.

I'm a member at a golf course in London, it's 6800y from the members tees and 7060 from championships. It's the first club ever I've joined, and thats where I've received / am holding my hcp. Been there for under a year now and it stands at a solid 18, which is what I can expect to play there on a 'oh its going well today' day.

But I also enjoy playing a lot of different courses, especially during the week when I can enjoy them being fairly quiet.

One Wednesday I show up to this club, ask for a pay for a green fee and they had a society playing there. They've overheard me and told me I can join them for £5 extra and play with them the same day provided my hcp was sub 24.

Played very well, scored 4 over gross. I was fairly familiar with the course, and have scored 10 or less there numerous times (2 eagles there this year).

We went all to the club house, handed in signed cards, started drinking more beer.

As far as I remember I ended up with around 50 stableford points.

They announced the lowest score and highest stableford winner, and to my surprise it was both me.

People got pissed off. First jokingly, then a little more serious as there was £100 cash and £100 american golf voucher for grabs.

The organiser asked for my club details, so they can confirm my hcp - I happily provided it. They've managed to check it, gave me the prizes but most people were quite hostile.

A few days later I get an email that I've been removed from the societies mailing list and MeetUp group. Not that I cared a lot.

So - question is - should I have been ostracised for obtaining my hcp at a much different/more difficult course? As the one we've played with the society is only 5200, par 69 with 3 par 4s between 270-310 and 2 par 5s between 450-470;  vs 6800 par 72 with 460 par 4s and 520+ par 5s.

So, what do you guys think?

Was the handicap you played with adjusted for the course slope and score rating?  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Sounds like a tough situation then.  If no adjustments are made in CONGU (sorry I'm not familiar) on a regular basis then you did nothing wrong.  The other players were just upset that you played a good round and an "outsider" won the money.

On the flip side an 18 on a 6800+ yd hard course is much different than an 18 on a 5200yd easier course.  Personally I feel like an adjustment would be appropriate.  But with no official slope and score ratings on courses I have no idea how you would do that.

In the states through the USGA there is a formula that will adjust your handicap for individual courses based off the slope and score rating.  So you might be a straight up 18 at one course, a 19 at another, and a 16 at another.  Trust me, it's not a perfect system but at least it does take course difficulty in to account when setting up a match.

This would probably be a good question for the pro at your home course.  Ask how your handicap should travel when you go to play other courses that may not be as long or difficult.

IMO the proper procedure would have been to take the winnings and buy a round for the other players, then enjoy the voucher as your prize.

I know there are differences between your handicapping system and ours. So long as yours was handled per the normal procedures there it's not your fault. In fact since there was a committee and you were forthcoming about your handicap and where it was obtained it's not your fault.

It's the handicap committee's job to make things equitable assuming all participants are being honest. Over here your handicap would have been adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sounds like a tough situation then.  If no adjustments are made in CONGU (sorry I'm not familiar) on a regular basis then you did nothing wrong.  The other players were just upset that you played a good round and an "outsider" won the money.

On the flip side an 18 on a 6800+ yd hard course is much different than an 18 on a 5200yd easier course.  Personally I feel like an adjustment would be appropriate.  But with no official slope and score ratings on courses I have no idea how you would do that.

In the states through the USGA there is a formula that will adjust your handicap for individual courses based off the slope and score rating.  So you might be a straight up 18 at one course, a 19 at another, and a 16 at another.  Trust me, it's not a perfect system but at least it does take course difficulty in to account when setting up a match.

This would probably be a good question for the pro at your home course.  Ask how your handicap should travel when you go to play other courses that may not be as long or difficult.

IMO the proper procedure would have been to take the winnings and buy a round for the other players, then enjoy the voucher as your prize.

Actually may ask my pro, see what he says.

I bought drinks for my playing group, as they were nice and welcoming. By the time I got the winnings a lot of people have left, and they've not been the nicest group so I thought - sod it. 

Actually may ask my pro, see what he says.

I bought drinks for my playing group, as they were nice and welcoming. By the time I got the winnings a lot of people have left, and they've not been the nicest group so I thought - sod it. 

Like Rev said, you told them your handicap and where you got it.  They had all the relevant information and let you play. 

Congrats on a good round and enjoy the winnings.  I wouldn't sweat it and it's on them for being poor sports.  Nobody likes a sore loser.

There's a big Day Game each Friday at my club. Can be as many as +-25 players some days. I don't play in it very much but it's fun once in a while. The skin buy-in is $20. It's hard to win a skin with that many players and quite a number of them are younger scratch players. It's not handicapped. Heads-up. So the few times I join the game it's a donation and I know that going in. One Friday afternoon late I arrived at the club to practice and saw one of the guys in the parking lot. I asked how he played and he replied he'd shot even. But.... he said, "some youngster" college player joined them and shot a 62 (par 70) and cleaned their clock. And their Cash! LOL I later heard grumblings that they didn't want him to play with them any more. LOL

I suppose your side of the pond is no different than ours pirate.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Sounds like the are just bitter wankers! If you shot 110 they would happily take your money and invite you back.

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

Sounds like the are just bitter wankers! If you shot 110 they would happily take your money and invite you back.

I agree. They'd have had no problems taking your money in the event that you lost. Congrats on your win

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I agree. They'd have had no problems taking your money in the event that you lost. Congrats on your win

Yeah tbh haven't thought of it that way. Very fair point. 

Thanks for it, now I don't feel bad.

Or as Morrey says in “Goodfellas” about owing money to DeNiro

F—- em

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Or as Morrey says in “Goodfellas” about owing money to DeNiro

F—- em

Agree, don't lose any sleep over those guys.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I thought Europe used the same hcp system?

Usually, you carry an index which then translates to a hcp depending on which course you play.

For instance 18 is your index, on a difficult course you get 25 strokes and on an easy course 13. If you got no course/slope rating, then it might be difficult. But that is not your fault.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I thought Europe used the same hcp system?

Usually, you carry an index which then translates to a hcp depending on which course you play.

For instance 18 is your index, on a difficult course you get 25 strokes and on an easy course 13. If you got no course/slope rating, then it might be difficult. But that is not your fault.

No, there are apps that try to do it for you like VPAR. And it gives you a vpar index. But the UK / CONGU hcp is flawed as it doesn't get adjusted.

Even if there were adjustments made to your HCP it likely wouldn't have been enough to help them. It would probably have been 3-4 strokes going from difficult to easier courses. Even with the change in length. Our blue tees are 136. The gold tees are 124, and it only changes about 3-4 strokes. Not sure of that would have changed the outcome of that match.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Bottom line is you won fair and square.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Listen to Rev, he knows what he's talking about

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Archived