Why people post there own topic on MGS.

Our Sponsors

.....wonder if anyone ever told Bubba to "go see a pro" when he had a question or issue?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amen. I've seen a lot of good threads get derailed, and some one get angry (me) when all of the answers are go get fit.   I'm not going to say anything else about it, but I seriously have no fittin

When someone asks for advice, I do my best to only answer with things that are fact or I try not to answer at all.   If someone says "why do my shots start left and go left" I will respond because y

If your fitter has caused anal leakage you may want to consult with a new fitter

.....wonder if anyone ever told Bubba to "go see a pro" when he had a question or issue?

Exceptions don't prove rules - when someone here wins a Masters we can stop giving the advice. It's advice, it's a part of the discussion it's as ignorable as any other advice or part of the discussion.

I will continue to offer it in threads that merit. People will not be happy - they will think they are the next Bubba or the expert in the room - those thoughts and comments are allowable to but so is the tried and true advice of go see a professional of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Exceptions don't prove rules - when someone here wins a Masters we can stop giving the advice. It's advice, it's a part of the discussion it's as ignorable as any other advice or part of the discussion.

I will continue to offer it in threads that merit. People will not be happy - they will think they are the next Bubba or the expert in the room - those thoughts and comments are allowable to but so is the tried and true advice of go see a professional of some sort.

If the only comment in a thread....as the OP stated....is "go see a pro".... without any context than it truly is a waste.

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

As probably one of the people who Rover Rick is referring to who posted over the weekend with the underlying theme of “see a pro” the real message I was trying to convey was, don't believe our own press. If your going to have a “club fitting”, don't tell the fitter what you want. Go in with a clear mind and you might be surprised what comes out. Just because a tour pro who practices for endless hours per day can hit said club doesn't mean I who plays here and there will have the same outcome!

• Like 4

As probably one of the people who Rover Rick is referring to who posted over the weekend with the underlying theme of “see a pro” the real message I was trying to convey was, don't believe our own press. If your going to have a “club fitting”, don't tell the fitter what you want. Go in with a clear mind and you might be surprised what comes out. Just because a tour pro who practices for endless hours per day can hit said club doesn't mean I who plays here and there will have the same outcome!

I do not even know who all the posters were, and it wasn't necessarily current threads as I was catching up on older discussions. I just didn't think that those comments in and of themselves were beneficial. Especially, since half the other posters said something to that effect in their posts.

• Like 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I don't mind the “go see a pro” too much, except when every answer in the thread says it. I use it on occasion although I have never seen my pro. I have asked a question to the pro, but haven't gone to see him yet.

My swing is my swing, but there are times when some advice is given to someone and that will trigger something for me, so I like when there is advice thrown around good or bad, because you never know when a lightbulb will go off. So keep the crazy advice coming. Sometimes it works sometimes it dont

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Amen. I've seen a lot of good threads get derailed, and some one get angry (me) when all of the answers are go get fit.

I'm not going to say anything else about it, but I seriously have no fitting options within reason.

The dude here was going to use the titleist cart to fit me for mizuno irons, and said he doesn't fit for driver because they are mostly all the same.

So... I may not be a fitter, but I can raise the BS flag on this “fitter/pro” here..

Now everyone go get fit and see your pro.

• Like 8

Including a disclaimer of this is my advice however a pro might be able to help you better than I can is totally fine. You still give your advice but you note it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Good advice or bad advice is for the OP to decide but if every answer is go see your pro no attempt at helpful advice is made.

Part of the reason we ask questions is so we can improve together.

We also may not trust our pro or haven't found one we can trust.

• Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If the only comment in a thread....as the OP stated....is "go see a pro".... without any context than it truly is a waste.

Perhaps the OP is the one who could provide the disclaimer - Without that my assumption is he doesn't know any better and therefore I'm going to give the best possible advice which is to seek professional help. That's the best advice. I wouldn't do that to you or Shankster anymore because I know that you won't. So if you post something that I can comment on I do, if not I don't. I'm staying away from Shankster's swing video. I would have nothing positive to add.

Another sound piece of advice (that you have reminded me of) is this: you need to know enough to recognize if the pro or fitter that you are talking to knows his stuff. That's where MGS comes in.

So going forward if I'm compelled to give the see a fitter advice - I will add some sort of disclaimer. It's a little thing and I'm not looking to tick people off. I am looking to help others play better golf as I receive advice that helps me to play better. Most of the time getting better requires an occasional peek from a trained set of eyes while ignoring advice from well meaning friends.

• Like 3

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

It may be of help if one knows a qualified pro/fitter that lives in an area near the one posting the question. To avoid free and or unwanted information posted on line, you could PM the poster. That would be another way to help without providing advice.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Would be nice if a golf forum never had an instructional sub forum.All conversations are peaceful in most other chats.Not sure why chatting about how one swings a club causes so many too go nutso.

Turns into my teacher is better than your teacher.Or the smartest guy in the class syndrome.Little do they know that many top local scratch ams have many a swing faults.But still go out and shoot sub par golf

I have mentioned a number of times that a person might want to seek-out a Pro, or fitting, or truly professional advice when in their description of what “ails” them they don't mention having done-so. I then add what has worked for me, or what I found in a fitting, or lesson, but if the post doesn't have in it “I have tried a fitting/lesson/seeing a pro”, I usually add that this would be a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

This all presumes that said fitter or "pro" are competent....

Some instructors are quacks, sure. So are some doctors, some attorneys, some financial advisors, some IT consulting client managers...

My first instructor sucked. But after that, all of the ones I've had the pleasure of working with have been very good. So I guess I'm biased. I had two great instructors at the club where I worked, who really wanted to see me get better. And I did. Working there, I got to know them and their business pretty well. The good parts and the tough parts. And believe me, there are more tough parts than good parts in that business.

Volunteering at TFT, I've gotten to know several more good instructors who have helped me and my girls. They've gotten my girls to improve in ways that I could never have. My youngest just had a breakthrough at her last lesson and played her best nine holes ever, by a long shot. And I knew what she was doing wrong, but I didn't have the ability to express it in a way that could get it through to her like her teacher did. I'd be doing her a grave disservice if I tried to teach her.

Her teacher and I have a deal. He doesn't manage IT consulting engagements, and I don't teach golf.

I know there are people out there that have been self-taught and hugely successful. I won't debate that for a second. I don't know that they asked for help as much as they dug it out of the dirt. Honestly, I'd probably pick a book written by someone whose build is similar to yours. "Five Lessons..." worked for Larry Nelson.

If I suggest that you go see a pro, it's not to brush you off, and it's not to try to kill the thread. It's because I know it works. And that's the best advice I can give.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

The discussion is the whole point of sticking around. Good group of peeps around here.

At the end of the day, I'm not 100% sold that “fit” equipment is exponentially better than off the shelf. Yes, optimizing spin and launch gains distance, but for us amateurs, I really think that only matters in the driver. I am a bigger equipment junky than most, and love to go to fitters to learn, but if you hook the ball, or slice, or just ain't that good, no equipment will fix that. I'm convinced, that I can go out with my old lynx blades, a Taylormade burner circa 2008 and shoot 85 with zero problems. With my new Gucci fit gear, I'll probably shoot 78-82. Was all that $$$ and time worth those couple strokes?? HECK YEAH,.....now go get fit and see your pro now!!!

• Like 3

The discussion is the whole point of sticking around. Good group of peeps around here.

At the end of the day, I'm not 100% sold that “fit” equipment is exponentially better than off the shelf. Yes, optimizing spin and launch gains distance, but for us amateurs, I really think that only matters in the driver. I am a bigger equipment junky than most, and love to go to fitters to learn, but if you hook the ball, or slice, or just ain't that good, no equipment will fix that. I'm convinced, that I can go out with my old lynx blades, a Taylormade burner circa 2008 and shoot 85 with zero problems. With my new Gucci fit gear, I'll probably shoot 78-82. Was all that $$$ and time worth those couple strokes?? HECK YEAH,.....now go get fit and see your pro now!!!

For me it matters in iron sets too. I get very different results from DG vs KBS Tour vs C Taper vs Nippon Modus. A set can go from pretty good to absolutely worthless to me if it's a poor shaft fit. KBS Tour in particular I find to be wildly inconsistent and other guys who play at my same level and same speed use them very effectively.
  • Like 1

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

For me it matters in iron sets too. I get very different results from DG vs KBS Tour vs C Taper vs Nippon Modus. A set can go from pretty good to absolutely worthless to me if it's a poor shaft fit. KBS Tour in particular I find to be wildly inconsistent and other guys who play at my same level and same speed use them very effectively.

It definitely matters, but the degree to which it does maybe a bit less than we think. I've been fit into everything from regular flex OBAN devotion shafts, to x stiff Aldila greens. These fittings from top 100 Callaway and Taylormade performance centers. I'd like to see a test with an above average golfer, say 5 or below, play perfectly fit clubs, then send him to dicks and buy the same type right off the shelf and see how much worse he plays.

It definitely matters, but the degree to which it does maybe a bit less than we think. I've been fit into everything from regular flex OBAN devotion shafts, to x stiff Aldila greens. These fittings from top 100 Callaway and Taylormade performance centers. I'd like to see a test with an above average golfer, say 5 or below, play perfectly fit clubs, then send him to dicks and buy the same type right off the shelf and see how much worse he plays.

How do you fit a Jekyll and Hide golfer? One who shoots 97 one day and 79 the next?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

How do you fit a Jekyll and Hide golfer? One who shoots 97 one day and 79 the next?

I'm that guy. High of 101 and low of 79 this year on the same course. Went to a GD top 100 fitter last year for a full iron fitting. Was fit to Mizuno Hot Metals and after about 20 rounds with them index went up from 13.5 to 15.5. Went and bought used JPX 900 Forged after about 10 swings with way more shaft than I could handle and index returned quickly to 13.5. Bought F8 one lengths this year off the rack and handicap dropped another stroke. Not saying fitting doesn't matter but my experience really soured me on the whole thing.

• Like 3

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'm no longer playing the irons I was fit for and am playing as well or better.... fitting has value but I think it has more value to people who are out of the norm. Taller than average... Shorter than normal arms, etc.

• Like 2