Sign in to follow this  
THeatherly

Greetings from the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC

Statesville/Hickory area, about an hour north of Charlotte and 2 west of the Triangle. My home course is River Oaks at Lake Norman. I'm old enough to qualify for the Champions tour, but can still bomb it now and then. I average 280 if i just hit off the tee, but whats the fun in that? I subscribe to swing hard and hope I can find it. :)

Not sure how much I can offer the forum, as I'm pretty close minded and will only ever own Pings. I'll hit my friends Taylormade, Callaway or others, but will only spend my $ for clubs from Karsten. 

I play 15-20 times a year. My favorite all time course is Bel Meadows, Clarksburg WV (designed by RTJ Sr.). Others are Tanglewood Champions course, Wicked Stick and Rocky River. 

I look forward to reading a lot and playing golf around the world via others posts. 

• Like 3

One of my best buddies lives there, and sells insurance: Deke Shepler. I went to App State, just up the mountain from you.

Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello and welcome from NY!

Plenty of discussions here today are not equipment-specific, eg. How'd You Play, What Did You Practice, What Was Your Shot of the Day?, etc.

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Statesville/Hickory area, about an hour north of Charlotte and 2 west of the Triangle. My home course is River Oaks at Lake Norman. I'm old enough to qualify for the Champions tour, but can still bomb it now and then. I average 280 if i just hit off the tee, but whats the fun in that? I subscribe to swing hard and hope I can find it. :)

Not sure how much I can offer the forum, as I'm pretty close minded and will only ever own Pings. I'll hit my friends Taylormade, Callaway or others, but will only spend my $ for clubs from Karsten. 

I play 15-20 times a year. My favorite all time course is Bel Meadows, Clarksburg WV (designed by RTJ Sr.). Others are Tanglewood Champions course, Wicked Stick and Rocky River. 

I look forward to reading a lot and playing golf around the world via others posts. 

Dude, you are living in my old stomping grounds.  I remember when River Oaks used to be called North Carolina National, and I think I was the first one on that course when they reopened it with the trailer for a club house.  I'm still not sure how it survives, but it looks like they are doing ok.  River Oaks has some goofy holes for sure, but I loved going out there, mostly because it's usually wide open and no one is on it.

I used to have a membership up at River Crest, which I guess they changed the name of that course to Ole Still.  I have great memories from that course, as I had an eagle on #18, as well as my low round ever at the time of 73 on that course.

I absolutely LOVE Tanglewood by the way.  I used to drive over there all the time, just because I loved that course so much.  Those greens have always been fantastic.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Fox Den as a course you played, but I guess it's called Larkin now? I used to play that course all the time, although who knows what it is now.  You'll have to fill me in.

I've also played Rocky River a few times, although any golf in the Charlotte area will certainly test your patience as it's always busy down that way.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Olde Beau, which is up north near Roaring Gap off of 77 near the Virginia border.  Absolutely loved that course, as the views from the 15th hole are absolutely spectacular.

Geez, I could go on for hours about golf in the Hickory area.  That's one aspect of living up there that I miss for sure.