Jump to content

On the road with KennyB - Irvine, CA April 3-7.


Recommended Posts

Starting this thread now .. which I'll be adding to later on .. about an upcoming meet-up with @Kenny B .. with whom I've been exchanging PMs and posts for a few years now, but have not yet had the opportunity to get together with IRL. Well, it's finally going to happen - over the first weekend in April - and centered around a Monte Scheinblum clinic.

Which is why I wanted to start this now -- there were 6 spots only in this clinic, of which 3 are now taken by myself, Kenny and his wife Martha.

SO..........

* If any other MGSers are in the SoCal area, or really anywhere, and want to come join us and help take over the clinic 😉 .. it's...
-- Saturday, April 4th thru Sunday or Monday .. depending on whether you sign up for a 2-day or 3-day clinic
-- third day Monday is on-course playing lesson
-- cost is $200/day (9a-4p) + a small facility fee
-- location is Oak Creek Golf Club in Irvine
-- info and sign-up at..
-- https://rebelliongolf.com/clinics/


Oh, PS:
I'm most likely arriving at least one day, maybe two, before the clinic and staying over at least one more day, too - ie. more potential spy-golf-beer-time.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is cool!

I know Monte as he  has used my course for his Baltimore/DC clinic the past three years.  It is a sellout each time, and I've sat in and watched parts of it.  He really does a great job and everyone I spoke to came away from it with great info and improvement.   

Hope you guys have a great time, and tell him Rob from Compass Pointe says hello!

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This is cool!

I know Monte as he  has used my course for his Baltimore/DC clinic the past three years.  It is a sellout each time, and I've sat in and watched parts of it.  He really does a great job and everyone I spoke to came away from it with great info and improvement.   

Hope you guys have a great time, and tell him Rob from Compass Pointe says hello!

Yeah, thx, have seen several very positive comments about his clinics .. really looking forward to it!

I'll have my phone on video recording when I mention "Rob" - so I can catch his reaction... 😝😝😝

  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Martha and I attended Monte's clinic in the Seattle area last summer.  Loved it.  I sent a PM to @cksurfdude (that's still ongoing, btw).  I was thinking about going to this clinic at the course where Monte teaches because it was limited to only 6 attendees.  That's lots of hands on contact over 3 days.  I'm happy that Chuck hit me up about going!!

So far, Monte has helped my swing quite a bit.  I would like to say that he is the first coach that has eliminated my shanks.  I would like to say that, but if I do they might come back so I'll just say that they are rare now.  ☺️

I'm looking forward to finally meeting Chuck after chatting here on the forum and PM.  Should be a great time.

  • Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, just an FYI update...
Our (Kenny's and mine) dates are set - we'll be there starting Thursday 4/02 and then leaving the following Wednesday morning 4/08.

  • Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also... ROAD TRIP!!!

My wife and I will be driving down to Irvine, CA from Washington; of course, listening to Steppenwolf, "Born to be Wild".  The route has not yet been determined, but stopping to play along the way is on the table.  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm... not Willie Nelson's "On The Road Again"... 😉

There must be so many great golf course options along the way b/w WA and SoCal .. how ya gonna choose?!?

  • Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 9:15 PM, Kenny B said:

Also... ROAD TRIP!!!

My wife and I will be driving down to Irvine, CA from Washington; of course, listening to Steppenwolf, "Born to be Wild".  The route has not yet been determined, but stopping to play along the way is on the table.  

If the route takes you through the Fresno area let me know. 

  • Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

If the route takes you through the Fresno area let me know. 

Will do!

I haven't set the route or the duration of the road trip yet.  I will do that as the dates get closer, and I see what our schedule might be.  Although I've driven from here to LA straight through, that was in my younger days.  We will at least take two days each way, but could make extra stops.  In the past we have always had to get there and get home when traveling, but now... no reason to rush.  This could be fun.

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Not surprisingly, we received the following from Monte....

---

Message from Monte Scheinblum:

Hello,

I know there is a lot going on right now, but I wanted to touch base about our scheduled clinic for April 4th-6th. I am following the news regarding the rapidly changing guidance and restrictions in regards to COVID-19. It is obviously very likely that we will need to reschedule our April clinic. For now, I'm in a holding pattern and monitoring this situation as it unfolds. If we do reschedule, I am 100% committed to finding dates that work for all of you, including rescheduling some of you on different dates as a part of other Irvine clinics as needed. For now, stay safe and understand that I will be in touch soon.

---

Quote

 

oh well....

  • Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Not surprisingly, we received the following from Monte....

---

Message from Monte Scheinblum:

Hello,

I know there is a lot going on right now, but I wanted to touch base about our scheduled clinic for April 4th-6th. I am following the news regarding the rapidly changing guidance and restrictions in regards to COVID-19. It is obviously very likely that we will need to reschedule our April clinic. For now, I'm in a holding pattern and monitoring this situation as it unfolds. If we do reschedule, I am 100% committed to finding dates that work for all of you, including rescheduling some of you on different dates as a part of other Irvine clinics as needed. For now, stay safe and understand that I will be in touch soon.

---

Well... we have two weeks.  TWO WEEKS!

 

 

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Monte is one of my favorite instructors and I was fortunate to be able to do 1 in-person lesson with him. What he had taught me changed my game quite a bit, in a good way. Now, just getting the things to stick that he had me work on, that's the hard part. Planning to attend the Seattle area clinic this year if things calm down with the coronavirus by the end of summer.

  • Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, Kenny B said:

Well... we have two weeks.  TWO WEEKS!

 

 

I hope this still happens for you guys with all of the recent news coming out of CA. Stay stoked and hopefully positive thoughts create a positive outcome!!

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Monte is one of my favorite instructors and I was fortunate to be able to do 1 in-person lesson with him. What he had taught me changed my game quite a bit, in a good way. Now, just getting the things to stick that he had me work on, that's the hard part. Planning to attend the Seattle area clinic this year if things calm down with the coronavirus by the end of summer.

I really like his teaching methods and I'd LOVE to get some coaching from him. I've mentioned him to @mr.hicksta a couple of times and I'm hoping he can get to see Monte at some point once he moves up there.

  • Like 3

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Tensei AV Raw Blue

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Monte is one of my favorite instructors and I was fortunate to be able to do 1 in-person lesson with him. What he had taught me changed my game quite a bit, in a good way. Now, just getting the things to stick that he had me work on, that's the hard part. Planning to attend the Seattle area clinic this year if things calm down with the coronavirus by the end of summer.

My wife and I went to Monte's clinic last August in Snohomish.  If this clinic doesn't go, then we will attend one somewhere this year.

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, yungkory said:

I hope this still happens for you guys with all of the recent news coming out of CA. Stay stoked and hopefully positive thoughts create a positive outcome!!

I really like his teaching methods and I'd LOVE to get some coaching from him. I've mentioned him to @mr.hicksta a couple of times and I'm hoping he can get to see Monte at some point once he moves up there.

His teaching methods are great. The difference between his videos and the in-person lesson was big for me. I was trying to fix issues with my swing, but after a few in-person swings, Monte was able to find the actual root cause. It turned out that I was trying to fix the symptoms, not the root cause.

  • Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well... if anyone's been watching the news .. anyone? lol .. CA announced a state-wide shutdown so it's not looking like this particular clinic is gonna happen at this time. Have not yet heard anything further from Monte. But chatted on the phone with Kenny earlier and mentioned I'm thinking of "calling it" and canceling - he said he may lean that way, too, as he's pondering the logistics of driving down with everything closed....

BUT... on the bright side .. maybe if this does get re-scheduled to a time that works not just for Kenny and I but also for @mr.hicksta and for @dlow206 -- that could be really fun!!

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Well... if anyone's been watching the news .. anyone? lol .. CA announced a state-wide shutdown so it's not looking like this particular clinic is gonna happen at this time. Have not yet heard anything further from Monte. But chatted on the phone with Kenny earlier and mentioned I'm thinking of "calling it" and canceling - he said he may lean that way, too, as he's pondering the logistics of driving down with everything closed....

BUT... on the bright side .. maybe if this does get re-scheduled to a time that works not just for Kenny and I but also for @mr.hicksta and for @dlow206 -- that could be really fun!!

I am hoping the Seattle one still takes place, it is not until August. But who knows what will be going on at that point.

  • Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I am hoping the Seattle one still takes place, it is not until August. But who knows what will be going on at that point.

Yeah, we're all still in wait and see mode.......

As of today the Irvine clinic is still on, but - I've cancelled this trip ☹️ and contacted Monte who said he'd work with people to arrange alternate dates ... so there's a remote possibility I might see you there. 

  • Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah, we're all still in wait and see mode.......

As of today the Irvine clinic is still on, but - I've cancelled this trip ☹️ and contacted Monte who said he'd work with people to arrange alternate dates ... so there's a remote possibility I might see you there. 

Monte said that he was going to create a new clinic sometime for everyone in this April clinic.  That may not be possible for us all, but he will move people around to fit their schedules.  If a Seattle clinic this summer is held, I doubt it will be with 6 students; he would need more to make it worthwhile to make the trip.  We had 12-13 last summer.  That's why I wanted to go to his home course and get in a clinic limited to 6 students.  It's a good deal for 3 days with 6 students, my wife and I + 4 others.

Whenever he reschedules it, I hope we all can make it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2020 at 2:15 PM, Kenny B said:

That's why I wanted to go to his home course and get in a clinic limited to 6 students.

Oh yeah -- great point!!

We'll have to see if Monte may be willing to add a whole new date in his calendar as a replacement for this group..? Otherwise, Kenny, what are you thinking as far as re-scheduling? 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...