Show us your Maltby!!!

azstu324

2 hours ago, pozzit said:

So???? How did it go?

Sooooo.. yesterday wasn't the best day to be testing a new set of irons unfortunately🫤. From about the 3rd hole to the end the wind was 2-3 clubs strong and in all directions. Also the group I played with was playing from the forward tees which really only puts the green within a wedge for most holes. I'm kind of writing yesterday off as a valid test day. 

The feeling of the clubs with these shafts is really good. It's solid but soft and the club just moves through the ball. Not quite the feeling like the ball isn't there like the TS3's that I'm reading but it feels as good as anything I've played and right there with Mizuno's and Callaway RAZR X MB's that I think are some of the best feeling irons ever made. 

I'm going to try to get to my exec where I can pretty much use all of the irons. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Beautiful those ts4s....Are those Steel fibers? 

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

9 minutes ago, KOG said:

Beautiful those ts4s....Are those Steel fibers? 

No they're actually KBS C-Taper Lites. Satin finish. Installed them logo down. Still considering just removing the label sticker altogether. 

Also contemplating some custom ferrules down the road. Eventually they'll just look too nice to even play and I'll have to get another set🤣

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 minute ago, azstu324 said:

No they're actually KBS C-Taper Lites. Satin finish. Installed them logo down. Still considering just removing the label sticker altogether. 

Also contemplating some custom ferrules down the road. Eventually they'll just look too nice to even play and I'll have to get another set🤣

Ohh ok. Love the way they look. The ribs on the sole like the max wedges just looks so high end and clean. I love my TS3 the more I play them. Let us know how easy these play as the TS3 are nearly as forgiving as the Ke4 Max. The location of the logo with the new minimalist designs makes mixed sets blend in so well. Love the minimalist design on their irons, hope they take the same path on the new woods/hybrids.

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

No doubt this year's design aesthetics are next level for Maltby. Their tech has always been on par but the looks this year might even get them noticed by reviewers 😜

I played my first round with these yesterday and while I was on the practice green waiting to be called up noticed 3 separate individuals stop and stare at the clubs trying to figure out what brand they were. The subtle silver M had them all scratching their heads and I LOVE that! 

As I was putting my putter away one of them actually ran up and asked about them. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Man I love the looks of those.  Please give us a review @azstu324.  I’m shocked that they look like that and their MPF is so high.  If you find that they are as forgiving as their MPF score and workable, these will have to be a strong consideration for me in the future when I tire of my current new irons.  (CHA in full effect.)  Thank you for sharing the photos!  And hope you love them. 

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

1 hour ago, IndyBonzo said:

Man I love the looks of those.  Please give us a review @azstu324.  I’m shocked that they look like that and their MPF is so high.  If you find that they are as forgiving as their MPF score and workable, these will have to be a strong consideration for me in the future when I tire of my current new irons.  (CHA in full effect.)  Thank you for sharing the photos!  And hope you love them. 

@IndyBonzo I'm hoping to get out for a more legit round this weekend (Sunday - Tuesday for me) 

I was going to re-up my membership at the PGATSS this week but found out that my store is remodeling their hitting bays so they're closed for a month or 2. I was ready for a serious #s session but that got shot down. 

TBC 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I keep reading about these.  I have lust in my heart for a combo TS3/TS4 set, and I haven’t even finished getting my second iron set reshafted yet and am likely getting my first set reshafted too (due to a faulty fitting).   I don’t need another set of irons but … these and the Edels!  Darnit.  I need a chaperone. 

At least I am going to wait to hear the reviews.  Maybe.!?!?

•  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Can anyone share thoughts on the TT Score shafts used in the paks?  

Comparable at all to the PX LZ 6.0 shaft?  I suspect not but worth asking   

Thank you in advance friends. 

If the PX is a higher launching shaft then yes. Very compatible. TT Score LT is a legitimate shaft. Don't let the price fool you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

Can’t compare it to the PX LZ 6.0, but can say I built it up to R+ for the TS3 (6 & 9-iron) and liked it, but found the weight difference from my Nippon 105s to be a little more than I was hoping for. However, for $13/shaft, could be worth a shot - you may love them, and if not, you're not out a huge investment. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

2 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

The LZ are a mid launch and a bit firmer overall except in the center section. The Score are more high launching with a softer tip. Weight is the same. 

They launch too high for me and I prefer a low lauch which is why Im still playing dg s300s.

Also, you can search shaft pulls on ebay and you often can find a bunch of shafts for cheap.  I personaly found a set Of Toski 3-pw for $75 on the bay that had the dg s300 shafts and pulled them and sold the heads for $100.

A secretly good deal are these nippon pro 840s which match the bend profile of the LZ but are lighter

https://www.hirekogolf.com/nippon-ns-pro-840-iron-shaft-s-flex.html

best deal out there if you need a lighter steel shaft

Some brands like Adams used legit shafts like kbs and a whole set goes for less than a set of shafts. Steel shafts can be pulled and re-used over and over unlike graphite.

Edited by KOG

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

35 minutes ago, KOG said:

The LZ are a mid launch and a bit firmer overall except in the center section. The Score are more high launching with a softer tip. Weight is the same. 

They launch too high for me and I prefer a low lauch which is why Im still playing dg s300s.

Also, you can search shaft pulls on ebay and you often can find a bunch of shafts for cheap.  I personaly found a set Of Toski 3-pw for $75 on the bay that had the dg s300 shafts and pulled them and sold the heads for $100.

A secretly good deal are these nippon pro 840s which match the bend profile of the LZ but are lighter

https://www.hirekogolf.com/nippon-ns-pro-840-iron-shaft-s-flex.html

best deal out there if you need a lighter steel shaft

Some brands like Adams used legit shafts like kbs and a whole set goes for less than a set of shafts. Steel shafts can be pulled and re-used over and over unlike graphite.

It's funny you mention that because I was having the same discussion with a guy that I traded a driver shaft for a whole set of Recoil 680's with. We both do hobby club work. If you have the know-how and some basic tools, you begin to see sets of clubs in a much different perspective. 

A $100 set of clubs could easily have $200 worth of shafts but most people wouldn't think that taking the clubs apart would make any sense. Forrest for the trees situation. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Thank you @KOG @Deepred@GolfSpy SAM @Popeye64and @azstu324 for the good input.  

I am trying to figure a way to test a TS3 and TS4 without spending $140 +/-apiece and was thinking of ordering them with the $10 Score shaft to save some coin.  

I have old clubs lying around and I suppose I could pull shafts and just buy the heads and build my own.  I have built drivers no problem (which I can configure using movable weights in the heads), but worry about jacking up swing weight if I shaft irons myself.  Maybe I should just get over my reticence and give it a whirl.  

Much appreciated. 

Thank you @KOG and @azstu324 for the good input.  

I am trying to figure a way to test a TS3 and TS4 without spending $140 +/-apiece and was thinking of ordering them with the $10 Score shaft to save some coin.  

I have old clubs lying around and I suppose I could pull shafts and just buy the heads and build my own.  I have built drivers no problem (which I can configure using movable weights in the heads), but worry about jacking up swing weight if I shaft irons myself.  Maybe I should just get over my reticence and give it a whirl.  

Much appreciated. 

If you have unused clubs def just pull a shaft. Its easy just heat the hosel up with a butane torch and rotate till you smell or hear the epoxy melt. Then step on the club head and twist and pull out from the grip. If you want to save the ferrule, razor blade it at the hosel so it separates and push it up a bit before hitting with the flame. Theres lots of vids on how to but its fairly simple, cant mess it up for steel shaft pulls

Otherwise, the pack is prob like $10-15 more so maybe save the effort. Up to you

Edited by KOG

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

15 minutes ago, KOG said:

If you have unused clubs def just pull a shaft. Its easy just heat the hosel up with a butane torch and rotate till you smell or hear the epoxy melt. Then step on the club head and twist and pull out from the grip. If you want to save the ferrule, razor blade it at the hosel so it separates and push it up a bit before hitting with the flame. Theres lots of vids on how to but its fairly simple, cant mess it up for steel shaft pulls

Otherwise, the pack is prob like $10-15 more so maybe save the effort. Up to you

Just to preface this method is for steel only! 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

very true. Graphite is delicate

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

I ordered a TS3 7 iron to try.  

I really have a problem.   Love this forum, but it’s not helping.  Lol. 

11 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

TS3s filling the bag today went on to score a -1 71. Simple setup with the Score LT shafts. Had a blast f12e6bc60645b63de6275abb139c3b5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Great looking clubs and super round!

Oh boy do I have some news to report.. 

First off.. I'm not a religious man.. but I'd like to start by thanking the Lord for the Maltby TS4! 

Today I played my favorite little exec Springfield GC. This course is really thoughtfully laid out. There are 7 decent sized par 4's and 11 par 3's. The par 3's are designed to allow you to use your entire bag ranging from 125 yds to 210 yds and everything in between. Additionally, most of the greens have shelves so shot placement is always a factor. 

I shot par which is 61.. And my personal best on this course! Of the 11 par 3's, I hit GIR on all but 1. These things are just point and shoot. They feel insanely good, and despite the slightly weaker lofts, I was keeping up with all of the distances from my OG TS1's. 

Hopefully next week I'll be playing a longer course to really stretch these things out. So far.. I'm 100% satisfied with these. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

My TS3 built to my playing specs arrives today.  I figured, if I end up loving it and build a set, it will be ready to go.  I am eager to give it a try.  (Clearly, if I am posting about it before it arrives.)

@azstu324 I am glad to hear you love the TS4s.  I am curious about the TS4 also. Based on handicap and your score cited above, you are clearly a better golfer than me, but -- do you find it forgiving and workable?  Is there another iron to which you would compare it?  Thank you in advance.

Got this head on their clearance section last year for 75 cents... yeah, less than a dollar. I was buying supplies for my first club build and figured why not.

Picked up a hybrid shaft on e b a y and it is now my 'stinger' iron. It's a little butter-knifey, but surprisingly forgiving. The number is 3 but loft is closer to 4.

IMG_2524.jpg.6f93be18384aa03d3e7266106b147528.jpgIMG_2523.jpg.7148f36be961a6bd7369959126cb3c37.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg.e4c522193a94bce9a8276be35941a4b9.jpg

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Based on handicap and your score cited above, you are clearly a better golfer than me, but -- do you find it forgiving and workable?  Is there another iron to which you would compare it?  Thank you in advance.

Take this all with a grain of salt as I've only had 1 round with them

Aesthetically these could be a little bit intimidating for some. I would say that they are a very inviting looking blade. The top line is medium thin with minimal offset but the blade length is longer than most and that's a characteristic of Maltby building in some extra forgiveness. 

As a higher single digits guy, these are absolutely perfect to my eye. 

As for workability, these will do anything that you ask of them. 

Forgiveness on these is exactly as advertised. If you can get past the blade-ish appearance, these play like a GI iron. Just the 1 round that I played, I'm already as confident with these as I was with my TS1-s that I played for 3 years. 

Not sure yet what club id compare these to. They're really their own thing which is also super cool. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

blade-ish appearance, 

Do you mean this as "not as confidence inspiring" (thin and forgiving) or "chunky blade" (forgiving and thin for its forgiveness level)

Slight difference but hope it makes sense.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

25 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Take this all with a grain of salt as I've only had 1 round with them

Aesthetically these could be a little bit intimidating for some. I would say that they are a very inviting looking blade. The top line is medium thin with minimal offset but the blade length is longer than most and that's a characteristic of Maltby building in some extra forgiveness. 

As a higher single digits guy, these are absolutely perfect to my eye. 

As for workability, these will do anything that you ask of them. 

Forgiveness on these is exactly as advertised. If you can get past the blade-ish appearance, these play like a GI iron. Just the 1 round that I played, I'm already as confident with these as I was with my TS1-s that I played for 3 years. 

Not sure yet what club id compare these to. They're really their own thing which is also super cool. 

Thank you @azstu324!  Much appreciated, and very glad you love them.

1 hour ago, pozzit said:

Do you mean this as "not as confidence inspiring" (thin and forgiving) or "chunky blade" (forgiving and thin for its forgiveness level)

Slight difference but hope it makes sense.

The term "blade" has always been kind of vague to me. Kind of like classifying shaft stiffness based on the label. there's definitely some overlapping of categories. Technically any MB is automatically categorized as a blade. That said I've seen some CB's more intimidating than MB's. These are definitely MB's in appearance and design but they aren't nearly as frightening as some "blades" I've seen or played in the past. For example, I played some Callaway X blade MB's and Cleveland TA1's that I would consider fine cutlery in the iron world. 

The TS4's aren't chunky AT ALL, but they aren't the smallest that I've seen. Let's call them "fuller figured" blades with some very sexy curves 😜. If you were to also classify the OG TS-1 as a version of a MB/blade, I'd say the TS4's are more of a blade in appearance and feel but maybe better forgiveness on toe or lower groove hits. This for me is great because those are the 2 areas that I find my inefficiencies in hitting. 

If anybody is at all familiar with the DBM/TE's, I'd say a similar top line width but with much narrower soles and similar length, but more forgiving and better feeling. Much better turf interaction and forgiveness. Also, MUCH better transition design from longer to shorter clubs.

Here's an image that I "borrowed" from another forum of the TS4 and DBM 6i

IMG_1845.JPG.12427b804770060aaccc7c748f283420.jpeg.6c4028242d24fc040e8755934e4e6061.jpeg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

10 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

The term "blade" has always been kind of vague to me. Kind of like classifying shaft stiffness based on the label. there's definitely some overlapping of categories. Technically any MB is automatically categorized as a blade. That said I've seen some CB's more intimidating than MB's. These are definitely MB's in appearance and design but they aren't nearly as frightening as some "blades" I've seen or played in the past. For example, I played some Callaway X blade MB's and Cleveland TA1's that I would consider fine cutlery in the iron world. 

The TS4's aren't chunky AT ALL, but they aren't the smallest that I've seen. Let's call them "fuller figured" blades with some very sexy curves 😜. If you were to also classify the OG TS-1 as a version of a MB/blade, I'd say the TS4's are more of a blade in appearance and feel but maybe better forgiveness on toe or lower groove hits. This for me is great because those are the 2 areas that I find my inefficiencies in hitting. 

If anybody is at all familiar with the DBM/TE's, I'd say a similar top line width but with much narrower soles and similar length, but more forgiving and better feeling. Much better turf interaction and forgiveness. Also, MUCH better transition design from longer to shorter clubs.

Really you think these compare to the TE in topline thickness? Thats great to hear. I love a thin topline with the forgiveness of something meatier. I was going back and forth between the TS1 and TE when i chose my last set. I just didnt prefer the shiny finish, weak lofts, and rear aesthetics of the TE. Appreciate the information. 

I suspect there will be a shiny new club head landing on my doorstep sooner then the wife wants.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

1 minute ago, pozzit said:

Really you think these compare to the TE in topline thickness? Thats great to hear. I love a thin topline with the forgiveness of something meatier. I was going back and forth between the TS1 and TE when i chose my last set. I just didnt prefer the shiny finish, weak lofts, and rear aesthetics of the TE. Appreciate the information. 

I suspect there will be a shiny new club head landing on my doorstep sooner then the wife wants.

In case you missed it, I updated my post with a comparison pic of the DBM and TS4. Hopefully that is helpful 😃

MAXFLI  Tour CG