Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Nike Lunar Control - Review

GolfSpy Tim

nike-03.jpg

Connect:

Facebook

Twitter

Intro:

Ever just golf and NOT notice the shoes on your feet?

That was the "problem" with the Nike Lunar Control shoes - I was trying to review them, and I felt like I kept forgetting to pay attention to them round after round. It wasn't until more than 2 months into trying these shoes that I remembered to "pay attention" to the shoes more carefully during a round, and I realized something HUGE.

nike-08.jpg

These are shoes that you DO NOT notice when you wear them. Basically, these shoes ROCK, and it took me realizing that not noticing them was what made them so magical.

nike-02.jpg

Features:

Premium full-grain waterproof leather

Flywire midfoot saddle

Lunarlon Foam Cushioning System

Full-length contoured sockliner

Nike Power Platform

2-year Limited Waterproof Warranty

Scorpion Stinger Spikes and Tri-LOK System

Comfort:

Nike NAILED it on the comfort side of things. So much so, that I didn't even take note of them when trying to be purposeful in reviewing them - they were that comfortable.

nike-01.jpg

I can't say it enough, I don't notice these shoes when they are on my feet. For a full-grain leather, waterproof shoe, they are actually pretty light weight!

You always hear about shoes "molding" to your feet, and I now know what that is supposed to equate to (most companies say it, but they don't pull it off very well)

nike-11.jpg

Knowing these are waterproof shoes, and knowing how much my feet sweat, I was concerned that I'd have swamp foot after every round played wearing these, but that was just never the case. They breath, and they keep your feet in a happy place.

Score: 35/35

Style:

We all know that size matters... but sometimes I feel companies and individuals forget that style matters just as much. For a guy with a size 13 foot, my shoes get noticed, there's no hiding them.

nike-09.jpg

While I like loud and obnoxious style, I don't know that Nike really nailed my style with the Lunar Control shoes. I think it's more the use of neon colors mixed with a shoe that attempts to bridget classic and modern design that loses me.

nike-04.jpg

I don't classify these shoes as "bad" looking, just not great looking. Kinda a middle-of-the-road style.

Score: 13/20

Performance:

This is another category where Nike knocked it out of the park with the Lunar Control golf shoes. Plain and simple, they perform. They do exactly what they are supposed to do without forcing you to think about what it is they are doing.

nike-06.jpg

I don't know if a golf shoe can be counted for in a lower scoring round, but these shoes do everything possible to help ensure you are comfortable and have no ideas floating in your head about whether or not your feet are going to be happy.

The cleats grip extremely well, the shoes fit like a glove for me, and the leather has held up well for me over an extended testing period with mud, water, heat and more. My feet have always stayed dry and I've never slipped.

Score: 35/35

Value:

$190 - for a performance golf shoe is where I would want to be. Over the $200 mark and I would definitely need better style, but go that direction with most other companies and I think you lose out on the comfort and performance that Nike has nearly perfected in these shoes.

nike-07.jpg

Score: 10/10

Total Score: 93/100

nike-10.jpg

Conclusion:

I can only find fault in these shoes in their styling. They perform and they are irritatingly comfortable. If you only ever own one pair of golf shoes, these are definitely worth a very serious consideration.

nike-05.jpg

Great review Tim.

I bought this pair on sale over X'mas and wore them for the first time yesterday.

Couldn't test the water-proof part, but hopefully will get to do that today.

The rest is just spot-on!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

one problem with all golf shoes that ive worn - dryjoy, adidas, fj sport is that i get both my little pinky toes pinched from the shoe and get ugly bruised nails. thats why ive switched to NIke frees atm to walk comfortably in.

Tim, are these shoes really so comfortable that u dont even notice them at all?

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

one problem with all golf shoes that ive worn - dryjoy, adidas, fj sport is that i get both my little pinky toes pinched from the shoe and get ugly bruised nails. thats why ive switched to NIke frees atm to walk comfortably in.

Tim, are these shoes really so comfortable that u dont even notice them at all?

Even wearing wide versions?

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

• 2 weeks later...

Even wearing wide versions?

ive never worn wide versions because my feet are actually quite narrow. but i dont seem to have the same problem with "street" styled shoes the only problem w street shoes is the grip, the rubber spikes are never really enuf. been looking for a shoe with spikes thats comfortable for ages. might try this one outt :)

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I honestly can't feel the difference between wide and normal, but those few milimeters could make a big difference to your pinky :unsure:

I honestly can't feel the difference between wide and normal, but those few milimeters could make a big difference to your pinky :unsure:

u might just be right steve :) ill keep that in mind

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Archived