Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How many sets of clubs have you owned in your lifetime

Age 10-17 - mixed set - best clubs were a Bruce Devlin 5 iron bought new and a very old hickory shaft niblick as my wedge

Age 18 - 24 - George Nicoll irons, graduation gift. Stolen

24-44 Titleist Tour models

44-48 Tommy Armour EVO25 forged. Fred Couples was my swing idol.

48-63 Titleist 704. Back to proven brands

63 Titleist T300 and George Nicoll mixed

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

Gosh, this is a good question.  Started with my father in laws McGregor clubs (and the woods were REAL wood), and then some Wilsons, and another set of McGregors.  Then starting to move around a lot for work I started to buy different clubs and leave them in different places.   So I would say between those, a couple of set of Cobra's, some cheap off the rack sets for when I visited a friend and wanted to go play, probably 12 sets.  The last 2 have been PING (G30's and now G425's), and probably still have 5 of those spread around or on standby if friends come over. I sometimes swap out things (wedges and putters) but stay with the new clubs for my personal play. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

My dad's old blades - 2 generations
Some Wilsons - name forgotten.
Mizuno Widec
Callaway Big Berthas
Mizuno MP62
Mizuno MP32
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

So 9 sets

Current Bag(s)

• Mizuno ST-X 230 Dr (Mitsubishi Kai'Li Blue 60R)
  • Mizuno ST-X 220 4H, 5W, 3W (Aldila Ascent 50 R)
  • Mizuno JPX-921 4i-PW, S22 50/08 T22 55, 60 (Modus 105 R)
  • Odyssey Strokelab Double Width Triple Track 
  • Chromesoft Triple Track or Supersoft

If you can count them you are not trying hard enough.  My first was a 5 iron and I was no more than 5 yrs old with it, oh unless you count the plastic heads and aluminum shaft clubs I had at 

my grand parents, ( had to get steel shafts I hit them so much)  

Three, Albatross'

Three Holes in One

Plus, when I was 5 the first ball I ever hit on a golf course went in the hole, so I have that going for me.

My bag is a mish mash of Srixon drivers, cobra and adams fairways, TA1 irons and Hopkins wedges, plus a Cure putter.  

Well, here's my trip down memory lane (iron sets only) :

Wilson X31

Wilson GE1200

* Ping Eye 2 (3 sets) 

* Ping Eye 2 BeCu

Ping G2

Ping i5

* (Florida) Ping i20 (3 sets) 

Ping S55

* (Idaho) Ping Anser Forged 2011(3 sets) 

Ping Anser Forged 2013

* (Michigan) Ping iE1(4 sets) 

20? Yikes! Of the 20, I still have at least one set of those sets marked above with an asterisk.

I currently game the Ping IE1s in New York, but I've got 3 sets of clubs that "reside" out of town with friends or family for when I visit.

86c515e9808c819d86820f451b93b04b_400x400 

Callaway Epic Max Driver & 3 Wood (R)

Mizuno JPX 850 Hybrids (19, 22 & 25) (R)

Ping ie1 irons (6-P) (S)

Mizuno T5 Wedges (52/9, 56/14, 60/10) (W)

Ping Anser Milled 3 Putter

Bettinardi BB 1 and BB8W Putter (v.2022)

Titleist Pro V1x / Taylor Made TP5X

To the best of my recollection it is 13 sets of irons. 

PXG Driver 9 degrees regular shaft

Taylormade 3 wood and 5 wood regular shaft

Taylormade  3 Rescue stiff shaft

Titliest  Volkey wedges 52 56 60 regular steel shafts

Bridgestone irons 4 thru PW regular steel shafts

Ball Maxfli Tour X or Titliest PV1 X

4 sets.....

Hogan's was the first set (can't remember the model)

High School (Wilson '56 dynapower musclebacks)

Hogan Apex in college

Won a set of P790's about 4 years ago and playing ever since.

Blades are blades.....swap out shafts and replace the grips.  If they look and feel good, play 'em.

Taylormade P790 P-5 / Vokey 50, 54, 58, 62 / Callaway sub-zero driver 8degree / Taylormade 3-wood / Callaway 3-hybrid / Taylormade spider X putter

Ram Complete set

Sets of irons:

Taylormade burner 2.0

Taylormade PSI Tour

Driver:

Taylormade R11

Callaway Rogue

Putter, 3W and Hybrid that I own now are the only ones I've owned. 

Ian Lydon

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9.5

3W: Cobra LTDx

3H: Callaway XR 16 Pro

Irons: Titleist T100 (2023) PW-6, Titleist T200 (2023) 5-4

Wedges: Sub 70 (52 and 58 Tester)

Putter: Ping Anser G2

OK, since returning to golf in my late 30's:

Spaulding irons (had them in my basement/garage since my late teens when my father gave them to me)

Walter Hagen boxed set (gift from my wife, still have them)

Callaway X20

TaylorMade SpeedBlades (2 sets)

Callaway Diablo Edge

Wilson/Staff Di11, D100, D200, D300, C300, D7 (not in that order but just easier to list them all here)

Cobra Baffler XL

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Started with a box set as a teen.  My first adult set were Cobra oversized irons in the 90s.  Graduated into KZG irons which were magic.  Played them for 18 years replacing them with the same head and better shafts after 9 years.  Moved to Muira after Tony wrote about them, played those for 9 years.  Switched to PXG 0311p gen three in my 60's and just got fit for the Gen 6. 

I would still play the KZG irons if I could get them.  They were the best.  The Muira were amazing and so unforgiving that as soon as my vision stopped being 20/20 I had to give them up.  The PXG irons are just as easy to hit and soft feeling as the KZG irons but the square groves were a big advantage.

Hey since the USGA have bifurcated the rules on the ball We should get square grooves and anchored putters back right???  They took them away from us because golf had to have one set of rules for everyone. 🤣

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I think of a set as mostly irons, but I think the answer is 4.  I had one set for just a short time, a purchase that I did not enjoy playing with just before my current set.  Just three putters, likely 5 drivers and fairway metals.

Dave Mueller

Only 5 Irons sets. 

In youth was a set a Wilson's 1970's from my dad.

In high school - golf team, had Golden Bear. played really good with those. Still have them.

College: Taylormade  Burner Midsize.

After College Ping i2

Mid years; TaylorMade RAC OS

Now; M4 Irons. Love them!

Drivers;

Corba 9.5 old one cannot remember name, but it was metal wood lol

Big Bertha.

Nike 9.5 Bigfoot one yellow lol, The sound was weird, hitting off tee, lol.

TaylorMade 9.5 R11

R1 < I hated that one

R15  < Fav one  Still have it.

Rocketballz Not my Fav, still have it

M5 Tour  < love it

Sim2 Max, just got that last week.

image.png.d7decdb0d9c79d82ad294d17928ade7d.pngSim2 Max ProjectX Cherry Tour Reg; M5 Tour Driver Fujikura Ventus Black 6 Reg

image.png.d7decdb0d9c79d82ad294d17928ade7d.pngSIM 2 MAX Fairway Woods: 3,5  Fujikura Ventus Blue Reg

image.png.f347c07f1c3d8a12cadd834746f189bd.png Mavrik Max 4 Hybrid, Tour AD HY 75 Reg

image.png.d7decdb0d9c79d82ad294d17928ade7d.png M4 Irons  5,-P,A  KBS Max 85 Red

image.png.d7decdb0d9c79d82ad294d17928ade7d.pngSIM 2 Max Rescue 5 Fujikura Ventus Blue Reg

Sand Wedge  image.png.d7decdb0d9c79d82ad294d17928ade7d.png Raw Milled Grind 2

Titleist Vokey 08 Spin 60° Wedge

Vintage Golden Bear Putter

Kirkland Signature v2.0 Putter  Golfballs; Taylormade Tour Soft, Titleist Tour Soft, Titleist Velocity

Golf Pride MCC Plus4 Team half-cord grips, FootJoy Men's Tour Alpha, Adidas Tech Response

I have only owned three sets in my life.  I have owned a set of Hogan Edge, Titleist DCI and now TaylorMade R7.  But if you count the junior set I have when younger, it is four.  I know I need an update.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver

:callaway-small: Mavrik Three wood

:taylormade-small: M2 Hybrids 3, 4 & 5

:taylormade-small: R7 irons 5 - AW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

Patty Berg Iron Set

MacGregor Golden Bear

Wilson Gooseneck Staff

Wilson Staff FG17

Ping Eye2  (BeCu)

Ping Eye2+

Ping i3 Blade

Ping Anser Forged

TM Tour Preferred T-D

Hogan Edge

Hogan Apex Grind

Mizuno MP29

Mizuno JPX

Ping Zing

Ping iBlade

Ping S59

Ping i500

Srixon 565

Srixxon ZX5

Titleist 690 CB

Titleist 690 MB

Titleist Tour Model

Titleist Box Blade

Ping G410

TM P790

PXG 0311T

PXG0311P

Titleist T100S (2x)

TItleist AP2

Callaway X188

Callaway Apex CF16

TM Tour Preferred TP

TM RAC TP

I may have missed a few - never played off-brands but rotated alot over 50 years playing, as you can see. 

Edited by BMart007

A set of Sam Snead Blue Ridge clubs, wood driver and FWs included. Then a set of Haig Ultras, wooden woods again. But the irons were blades. This was a bad choice of irons for me. Then, a set of Spalding blade irons, another bad choice. I built a set of clubs from Ralph Maltby or maybe Golfworks. I retired from the USAF and treated myself to a set of Titleist DCI+ Oversize irons. Gamed those for twenty years. I retired from teaching and got fitted (finally) for a set of Ping G400s, woods and irons. Played those for 4 years and currently have a set of Ping G425s with 4 Edison wedges. 

Ping G400 woods, hybrids, irons. 

I've only had 3 sets of clubs...to date

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

On 3/29/2023 at 8:59 AM, Pvicary said:

I must admit the number seems large. In fact since my posting my wife gave me the oldwaddabout . You know the what about this and what about that. And you know, she’s right. Must add the set of Macgregor MT Tourney’s and the almost embarrassed to say King Snakes. That brings the number of iron sets to 20. For this exercise I am looking at irons only as I have added and deleted drivers, fairway woods hybrid/ rescue clubs and let’s not forget putters . At one time when we were moving, the mover made the mistake of asking if I knew how many putters I had as they had to account for every thing. Unfortunately it was within earshot of my wife. When I said I had no idea he quickly answered, sir you have 158 putters. I told my wife he must be mistaken and I quickly retreated to the garage. 

So let’s look at iron sets only:

Campbell Pin Hi 1955

Ben Hogan Edge

Ben Hogan Plus 1

MacGregor MT Tourney

Golfcraft Continental

Spalding Elite

Wilson Staff

Wilson 1200

Custom Build No Name

King Snake

Tommy Armor 845

Ping Eye Two 

Callaway Big Bertha

Callaway Fusion

TaylorMade R11s

TaylorMade Burner 2

TaylorMade RSi

Cleveland Tour Action

TaylorMade Sim

Mizuno JPX 921

Wow! That makes 20 sets that I can remember. I guess that mover must have been right.

(20) sets and (158) putters ...... you amateur!  I'm probably right there with you in the putter category, but I estimate that I have owned at least (45) to (50) sets of irons and more drivers and fairway woods that I can imagine, and that doesn't count the demo sets that I have owned -- and continue to own -- as a representative of various OEM golf club manufacturers.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

12 hours ago, EZlife007 said:

You all make me feel good about starting to think about a new set. I've owned 3 sets over the last 30 years or so:

Titleist DCI oversize+

Mizuno MP14

Mizuno MP52

Kinda off topic. I see you are from Raleigh. My old man was a Raleigh native. Is the old RGA course still open on Tryon Hills road? I played golf there quite a bit when I was a teen when the old man would go to Raleigh and gamble there with his buddies. I know the old Cheviot Hills course on US 1 is long gone. The old man's friend used to own it and I played there some too. RGA holds some memories for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Only Listing the Irons

First set was my Dad's old set Spaulding Kro-flites 4-9 used for my first two years

Wilson Staff Fluid feel 1984 in high school Had to cut lawns for two years to be able to afford them 

Spaulding tour editions because that's what Greg Norman  played 

MacGregor Jack Nicklaus  Muirfield 20th  Because   JACK 

Wilson Staff dynapower 1965 

Wilson Staff Dynapower 1967

Wilson Staff Dynapower 1969  for some reason I got into a vintage Blade  binge 

Ping Zing  2  from 1995 - 2021   Hit them great for 25 years 

Callaway Apex Cf-16

Currently playing Srixon Z585 

54 years young, golfing for 40 years and still loving it play about 3 rounds per month

I'm one of those guys who plays a set of clubs until I wear them out.  My grandfather taught me how to play and I only remember him having one set of clubs his entire life.  They were some non-descript set my grandmother bought him at Kaufman's in the late 50s.  He was still using them well into the late 70s with the original leather grips.  So I come about my use of clubs genetically.

Anyway here's what I remember:

Wilson K-28 junior clubs

Northwestern Pro Built (bought one club at a time through a local grocery store chain), Wilson Arnold Palmer 8802 putter

Wilson 1200 Gear Effect--full set, Palmer putter still in the bag. 

Callaway X-14--Big Bertha Driver and woods--Slotline Intertial Putter

Mizuno 823s--Callaway Razr Fit Pro driver--Callaway X2 Hot 3 wood, 3-4 hybrid, Scotty Cameron Newport 2.  

Changes coming in 2023.

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 3/29/2023 at 8:59 AM, Pvicary said:

and the almost embarrassed to say King Snakes.

Played a full set of King Snakes plus AW and 1 iron grade 8-middle of 12, earned a college scholarship with them, loved that set. 

WITB: Driver Ping 410 LST 9 deg; 3W Ping 410 15 deg, Titleist 818 H2 3H 21 deg, Taylormade TP MB (3-PW), Cleveland RTG 54 and 60 deg, Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball, Pro-VI X or Srixon Z-Star XV

First set was a set of Ram, can’t remember model number after that

Hogan Radials

Wilson Staff

Cleveland TA5

Ping G15

Taylormade M2

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Titleist T350 5-pe

hybrids Taylormade 4 

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

31 minutes ago, Mackey said:

Started with a box set as a teen.  My first adult set were Cobra oversized irons in the 90s.  Graduated into KZG irons which were magic.  Played them for 18 years replacing them with the same head and better shafts after 9 years.  Moved to Muira after Tony wrote about them, played those for 9 years.  Switched to PXG 0311p gen three in my 60's and just got fit for the Gen 6. 

I would still play the KZG irons if I could get them.  They were the best.  The Muira were amazing and so unforgiving that as soon as my vision stopped being 20/20 I had to give them up.  The PXG irons are just as easy to hit and soft feeling as the KZG irons but the square groves were a big advantage.

Hey since the USGA have bifurcated the rules on the ball We should get square grooves and anchored putters back right???  They took them away from us because golf had to have one set of rules for everyone. 🤣

KZGs are great sticks. I have 2 sets of what I call the Teardrop CBs which as you pointed out are no longer conforming. I guess you know the soft feel comes from being Kyoei forged. I know my bud who was the KZG dealer here closed up shop and retired some 5 years ago now. In the past the dealers had some supply and problems with company management and that caused a lot of problems in the past. A lot of independent dealers dropped the line because of that. I think the only KZG dealer we have in SC is Haas ( yes those ones) Family Golf Center in Greenville SC. In fact since I have went to graphite shafts I am thinking on ordering a set of Recoil 60 g seniors and reshafting one of those sets. As far as being "conforming" I could care less I do not play stipulated comps or big money matches anymore. I only play the Shootouts on Saturday at my club and just joined the Men's leagues. No one cares in either one what anyone plays.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Junior - Acer (with the red shafts)

High School - King Snake+, 3-AW and 1 iron (great for playing high school comps from the white tees)

College - Mizuno MP-33's 3-PW

Post College - Taylormade R-7 TP 3-PW; Taylormade MB TP 3-PW

Also have a set of Titleist 690MB's and old Hogan Apex blade's that I throw in the bag occasionally for fun.

Donated my MP-33's a number of years ago and still regret it, miss those irons. 

WITB: Driver Ping 410 LST 9 deg; 3W Ping 410 15 deg, Titleist 818 H2 3H 21 deg, Taylormade TP MB (3-PW), Cleveland RTG 54 and 60 deg, Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball, Pro-VI X or Srixon Z-Star XV

15 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

(20) sets and (158) putters ...... you amateur!  I'm probably right there with you in the putter category, but I estimate that I have owned at least (45) to (50) sets of irons and more drivers and fairway woods that I can imagine, and that doesn't count the demo sets that I have owned -- and continue to own -- as a representative of various OEM golf club manufacturers.

Pretty good but I will tell you we can not hold a candle to some of the guys in the Classics section of WRX. One guy over there a few years back bought a 48 ft trailer stacked with clubs from a hoard in Niles Michigan. He rented a warehouse to sort stuff out. That hoard is legendary in WRX circles and the Forged Club Appreciation section on Facebook. Another guy from across the pond called Moaning M had a large collection and he was on WRX but he has not posted for years. Another big collector on FB is from Japan and he has an extensive collection and posts something new darn near every day. 

G

Looks like I'm somewhat in the minority here.  I started with a set of Wilson DynaPower as a teenager that my dad bought and never used.  Kept those all the way through college and then bought a set of Tommy Armor 845's.  Those lasted until 2019 when I finally broke down and bought a set of Srixon 585's.  Those are still in my bag.  I've gone through a few more drivers than clubs.  From a wooden McGregor to a Yonex, to a Callaway Diablo, a Bombtech, and now a Ping G425

:ping-small: G425 Driver

:ping-small: G425 3w

:callaway-small: 2 Hybrid

:srixon-small:  Z585 Irons 3-PW 

467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpg RTX Zipcore 50 Gap, 56 SW, 60 LW

:odyssey-small: 2 ball Putter

:taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour Balls