Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Anyone Tried The Straight Stick?

2 hours ago, King_Bogey said:

This thing looks legit.  Just wondering if anyone has tried this training aid out.

https://www.performancegolf.com/straight-stick/info-sc

I've been targeted with these ads a bunch - I have the Lag Shot and found it to be an extremely helpful aid.  I have no doubt that this, in the hands of someone who needs it, will benefit them.  I'm not sure about the promises being made - but that's true of most things sold these days 🙂 

Let us know if you pull the trigger. Very curious myself about the experience of using it.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I too have the lag shot and I like training aids you can use to hit the ball.

I think this has merit to it...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

It looks very interesting and could be amazing, however the super sales pitch and "amazing deals valued at $687" are just so gimmicky it overshadows what could be a good training tool. Hopefully some reviews will come out soon.

:titleist-small: TSI3 9°

:taylormade-small: M4 3W 15°

:srixon-small: Zx 5W 18°

:PXG: Gen 3 P 4-AW

:cleveland-small: CBW SW 56°

Harry Taylor LW 60° 

:PXG: Gunboat

I'm trying to get HQ to let me buy and review it 😉 so far it's a no-go, but...?

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Read on another forum that if you buy the device you are automatically enrolled in some additional service at $30 a month that you have to cancel.   It is a personal bias, but those scroll forever type websites always sell “shady” merchandises.  “Retail value of $697 but for a limited time you can get it for $197”. 

might be a great product, seems to be getting a lot of buzz on the internet forums, but haven’t seen any reviews.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just got mine.  Driver and the seven iron.  I haven't swung it outdoors hitting balls yet.  I have a 95 mph swing and I can easily trigger the swing weight set at 100 mph so I know that isn't correct.  I will report back when I have hit a few balls with it.  It works similar to the Super Sonic X10 Speed trainer.   The weight is activated by the centrifugal force your swing generates.  The X10 had settings that were much harder to activate but wasn't designed to hit balls.  I am just speculating but since the Straight stick is designed around the proper release and getting your grip correct, I suspect you can still hit a wide variety of crooked shots with it.  I tried swinging over the top and had no trouble activating the trigger so I'm not sure that is going to solve minor slicing issues.  I don't really slice as I spend most of my time on the left side of the course.  It might help casters and big slicers the most.   That's probably what it was designed for in actuality.

• 4 weeks later...

My advice after many years of experience is to never be an early adopter. I have read reviews that say it clicks all the time no matter the swing or the setting. Other reviewers  said they couldn't  get it to click no matter what. It could be a problem with the uniformity of the magnet strength. My opinion is there needs to be more time to assess the problems of new device and insure quality control  before you consider buying.

Callaway Rogue Irons 6-PW Senior Shaft. Tour Edge Driver C-721 senior shaft. Rogue 3 hybrid Senior shaft. Cleveland Wedges 52, 56, 60 degrees metal shafts stiff. Hope to add 9 wood tour edge.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:25 AM, cnosil said:

Read on another forum that if you buy the device you are automatically enrolled in some additional service at $30 a month that you have to cancel.   It is a personal bias, but those scroll forever type websites always sell “shady” merchandises.  “Retail value of $697 but for a limited time you can get it for $197”. 

might be a great product, seems to be getting a lot of buzz on the internet forums, but haven’t seen any reviews.  

The automatic enrollments in "Scratch Academy" and VIP Coaching appear to be true - please review the Terms and Conditions for this product and any other product you are considering to purchase 

Edited by dobrycki

Driver:   :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55 Graphite
3h:   :callaway-small:  Rouge X  Aldila Synergy 60 HYB X Graphite  
Irons 5-PW:   :callaway-small: Rouge X  Aldila Synergy 60IR Graphite
Wedges:   :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4 60* Fujikara 95 Graphite
Putter:    :odyssey-small:  O-WORKS BLACB #1 WIDE

Save your money everyone. Initially, it felt and looked great. It was well packaged and all. I took several practice swings at home and couldn't get it to click because I couldn't swing that fast in my living room. I took it to the range today and after 10 balls it broke. The dial for the grip strength at the butt end broke off the shaft. So basically I cannot properly set thegrip because now the entire grip rotates. I will be asking for a refund. The funny thing is 1 had it shipped to my box across the border('m from Canada). So I'm going to have to drive itover and ship it. Lol. Live and learn

Well I purchased the 7 iron and for the life of me I could not get it to click no matter how hard I tried.  The grip adjuster fell apart

so I returned the 7 iron.  For whatever reason then sent back a driver.  The only way I could get it to click was by hitting a ball.  On the informercial

they made it look easy to get it to click on practice swings.  That was my goal to get a consistent swing without coming over the top.

One of their videos is trouble shooting because I guess a lot of people are having the same issue and I can't get a definitive answer on how

to correct it  

On 6/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, mcath said:

My advice after many years of experience is to never be an early adopter. I have read reviews that say it clicks all the time no matter the swing or the setting. Other reviewers  said they couldn't  get it to click no matter what. It could be a problem with the uniformity of the magnet strength. My opinion is there needs to be more time to assess the problems of new device and insure quality control  before you consider buying.

Same here. I also like to see data that demonstrates actual improvement. Not just subjective (feel better), but actual data that translates to measurable change on the  course. 

Driver: :callaway-small:  Epic Max LX
Fairway:  :titelist-small: TSi3
Hybrid:  
image.png.a33451d0fe433de01b81fccc7a6c97a3.png Stealth 2; 3 hybrid
Irons:  
image.png.a33451d0fe433de01b81fccc7a6c97a3.png P770 (P-7) P790 (6-4)
Wedge: :titelist-small: SM8 50, 54, 58 Tour Chrome
Putter:   :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar
Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x (ProV1x Left Dash)

I too purchased the 7 iron and cannot make it click with a practice swing unless the club hits the ground.  If it hits the ground it will click no matter what speed setting or swing path I use.  I have emailed and asked for additional guidance on how to make it work and got nothing that was helpful.  My take is it certainly doesn't "correct" any swing path issue.  There may be a way to swing and make it work but it's certainly not an automatic fix as advertised.  Probably better off spending your money on a golf lesson.

We are not alone, most people that have tried the Straight Stick are reporting the same issues.  The informercial makes it look like each

practice swing you can make it click.  I haven't been able to make one practice swing click.  Not sure if it is a quality control issue or it flat out doesn't work??

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started swinging in my yard with it set to 60MPH. and finally got it to click. it took a little while. went to the range today and I could not square the face for anything. I was shanking and hitting directly right while getting a consistent click. i usually draw the ball or hook and I shoot in the low 80S. I picked up my own clubs and I was hammering the ball really far and straight. crushing it. no idea what happened. tried again and could not square the face again. my clubs?  hammering it like a champ. does it work? no? yes? I have no idea lol. it absolutely teaches you to release the club with authority to hear the click. at least mine does. I watched the videos and it seems to click real easy. not for me.i have to swing pretty good to hear mine. ill say it again, I could not square that face to save my life but with my clubs, no problem.

I would never buy this product out of sheer spite after YouTube forces me to watch this ad before every golf video! Oh, and is there a product, regardless of the quality & utility, that a golf pro won't endorse? #GOML

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

On 5/1/2023 at 1:13 PM, King_Bogey said:

This thing looks legit.  Just wondering if anyone has tried this training aid out.

https://www.performancegolf.com/straight-stick/info-sc

My $0.02 (having splurged on a lotta training aids over the years, and having then set aside a lotta training aids over the years) -

• What swing flaw are you trying to fix?
  • Has a teaching pro told you *what* that swing flaw is? (.. vs self diagnosed)
  • Does the trainer you're looking at specifically address that swing flaw?
  • For this trainer - do you know your (is it a 7i??) swing speed? (..else the release "click" timing may be off and it's not your swing...)

There are other swing tempo and impact/release trainers on the market .. does this one do a better job? 🤷‍♂️

Now it doesn't hurt to try something new but you may want to check their return policy...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 5/2/2023 at 11:02 AM, StrokerAce said:

I think this has merit to it...

Not too be a smartass, but I think Eric Cogorno (swing coach to the stars) could literally hit a golf ball with a 2x4 and make it look good! 😄

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

50 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Not too be a smartass, but I think Eric Cogorno (swing coach to the stars) could literally hit a golf ball with a 2x4 and make it look good! 😄

yeah - sounds like it's just a good bunch of marketing. too bad.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just received my new Straight Stick and find it an impressive training aid. As was suggested I set the "swing speed" on the lowest setting and found that I have a slightly early snap. Not by much but a little. I worked on it for a dozen or so hits and brought it closer to both ball and "click" sounds. The only draw back that I have is that the top adjustment mechanism for the face angle is too large and affects how I  have to grip the club.  If the adjustment mechanism was tapered or the whole adjustment mechanism was closer to the size of the grip it would be perfect. I would still recommend the Straight Stick to anyone that wants to get the power of the snap into their swing.

• 2 months later...

Well, there’s not too many golf swing aids out there that I haven’t tried through the years.  Ultimately, most fall short of expectations, and the “Straight Stick” is just another of those!  Attempting to determine where exactly that “click” happens during the swing is beyond me!  Additionally, I didn’t really enjoy hitting balls with the club as it didn’t have a comfortable feel.  In my opinion, the most rewarding element of this proposed training aid is the “grip.”

You have to careful with the add ons a membership that’s 40 a month then they show you the driver without be able to go to checkout. I tried and returned it it’s not as easy as they make it look. Everyone that’s in they’re ad are professionals. 

Hit my 8 iron 140

• 1 month later...

I purchased a "Straight Stick". I'm not impressed. The company "Performance Golf" called me every day offering an online program. I refused. I have now had a charge from this company for a subscription of $563.43, then a monthly charge of another $31. I have filed a fraud alert with my credit card company.

This company is unethical. Do not buy!!!

I have to agree.

I purchased one as well and it is junk.  No matter how hard I tried to swing I couldn't make it

click.  When hitting golf balls even the worst swing it would click.  Save your money.

Rocco should be ashamed!!