What Have You Built Recently?

3 minutes ago, DAKDAK said:

Hello all. I have been a master club builder for almost 40 years. (Been building for almost 50 years but took a while to become good). For many of you new to club building, this goes back to the days before metal woods so we had to whip woods to shafts. I have not been hitting my 3 wood well at the start of this golf season (NE Ohio) so cleaned up and regripped a Tommy Armour EQL. Hitting it almost as far as 3 wood but accuracy is substantially better. Also using Reid Lockhart 60 degree wedge that has 4 bounce angles for at least 15 years. Remains best wedge ever in my opinion. I use Avon Chamois OS Grips with 5 layers of tape under bottom hand.  

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

I haven’t seen Avon Chamois in a long time…used these for years growing up.  The grip was completely smooth after years of use and was still tacky!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

for those interested in swapping out ferrules I thought this was a great description of how to do it.
He doesn't use any fancy/expensive tools (i.e. belt sander) except for what he calls a "hotbox". I hadn't even heard of such a thing; I just boil some water on the stove and dunk the ferrules in a glass bowl. The water isn't hot enough to melt them but hot enough to soften them up.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

35 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

for those interested in swapping out ferrules I thought this was a great description of how to do it.
He doesn't use any fancy/expensive tools (i.e. belt sander) except for what he calls a "hotbox". I hadn't even heard of such a thing; I just boil some water on the stove and dunk the ferrules in a glass bowl. The water isn't hot enough to melt them but hot enough to soften them up.

I always like his video's

Woods:  :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, Stealth 2, 22*, both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S  

Irons: :Takomo: IRON 101 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 Stand Bag / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

image.png

For anyone wanting to save major dollars, the first tool I would buy is a shaft puller. There is a fine line between the epoxy melt point and the bonding agents used to hold graphite shafts together. I have a B & D workmate that I keep in the garage for removing shafts and also for gripping clubs. My wife is bothered by the smell, especially from using a propane torch to release shafts. To keep discoloring to a minimum, I place aluminum foil over the hosel. This is paramount with many of the paints used on drivers and fairways woods as the paint will easily discolor.

1 hour ago, DAKDAK said:

For anyone wanting to save major dollars, the first tool I would buy is a shaft puller. There is a fine line between the epoxy melt point and the bonding agents used to hold graphite shafts together. I have a B & D workmate that I keep in the garage for removing shafts and also for gripping clubs. My wife is bothered by the smell, especially from using a propane torch to release shafts. To keep discoloring to a minimum, I place aluminum foil over the hosel. This is paramount with many of the paints used on drivers and fairways woods as the paint will easily discolor.

*if you are working with graphite shafts. you don't need one of these for steel shafts, but yes, without a doubt the only safe way to remove anything from graphite is with a shaft puller.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I admit it, I have a problem... this poor bastard has more vinyl wrap than a civic at a Thursday night car meet in a Costco parking lot...

To answer your questions, no it doesn't seem to affect the roll of the ball, and yes the feel is almost the exact same.

It has a slightly more muted sound on soft putts, but anything more than 5ft it sounds and feels the same.

I dunno... I like it... 🫣

image.png.d8aa971e54b07f9206341319dfb6d4c1.png

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero

3W: Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5º (2015)

5W: Adams Tight Lies 16º (2014) Adams Black Super Hybrid 17º / Adams Super Hybrid 19º

Irons: Adams CB1 4 - GW / Adams CMB 4 - GW / Adams CB2 5 - GW 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56º / Burke Golf TF01 60º 

Putter(s): Odyssey 2-Ball original / O-Works 2-Ball Fang Tank