Music on the Golf Course?

58 minutes ago, Marv Town said:

I remember when nobody played music. I love music,wireless headphones, be respectful. I have playlist for front 9, back 9 and take me home. . But if I'm playing with my buddies no music,  conversation and catch up. And try to take their money

... and I remember when a phone was on a cord in the kitchen.

3 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

I'm not a fan.  I'm easily distracted and music, even music I like, just bugs me.   Dealing with distractions is a part of the game, so I don't say anything unless there's something on the line. 

XY

... If you played with me you would not be able to hear my music playing on the tee or the green and not in the fairway either unless you were right next to me. But if my music even at that low of a level bothered you at all, it would be great if you let me know because I would just turn it off. I LOVE music keeping me company but at level where I can still hear the wildlife and the wind as well as my partner when we are talking. I am lucky because all my playing partners love 70's music when we play. 

... I also think many posting here didn't bother to read previous comments because they seem to think everyone plays their music LOUD. And of course some do and they are most inconsiderate, but many more are playing music at such a low level they never hear it. As has been said many times in this thread, it is always about being considerate of others. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

I love music but I know not everybody else does. When I’m playing with people who aren’t close friends I always ask if it’s okay and turn the volume low. I think if you just bring it up to him, he’ll understand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strength coach💪

Friends and i have a playlist weve all agreed too. We play it loud enough for us to just be able to hear it 10ft away when on the tee box but any further you cant really hear it. We arent those guys blaring a speaker for the entire course to be annoyed. We always ask if we have a random paired with. I dont see the issue, especially when you have people that are so loud i can hear the audibly from 3 fairways away. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

I think as long as everyone in the group is alright with it, music on the course is fine. Just need to make sure it's at a respectable volume to not disturb others on the course. Make sure to be conscious about turning it down/off when approaching the clubhouse and other groups on nearby holes. Definitely not a necessity on the course but a fun way to lighten the mood. One way to avoid hearing the same music over and over is having members of your golf group rotate who chooses the playlist. If someone in your group doesn't want any music being played, be respectful and put it away. 

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e3cc5559919d7bec2abdbe999c30614b.jpg P7CB (4-PW), Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff (testing in progress)

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

On 7/31/2023 at 7:26 PM, chisag said:

... and I remember when a phone was on a cord in the kitchen.

... If you played with me you would not be able to hear my music playing on the tee or the green and not in the fairway either unless you were right next to me. But if my music even at that low of a level bothered you at all, it would be great if you let me know because I would just turn it off. I LOVE music keeping me company but at level where I can still hear the wildlife and the wind as well as my partner when we are talking. I am lucky because all my playing partners love 70's music when we play. 

... I also think many posting here didn't bother to read previous comments because they seem to think everyone plays their music LOUD. And of course some do and they are most inconsiderate, but many more are playing music at such a low level they never hear it. As has been said many times in this thread, it is always about being considerate of others. 

I jumped to the conclusion that we were talking about music played at levels that could be heard by other than the individual(s) playing it.

Of course if I can't hear it, it wouldn't be distracting and everyone has a right to enjoy the game their way.

Those that play it at distracting high levels are probably not going to appreciate comment nor respond as respectfully as those who are concerned about distracting others in the first place. Given that, I play it as it lies most times. Personally, my walkup tune is AC/DC TNT, and I play Lynyrd Skynyrd in my head all the time!

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

How do you feel about somebody blowing cigar/cigarette smoke in your face?  How do you feel about somebody interrupting a conversation you're having?

Typically, I fall into the "MY rights extend only as far as they interfere with YOUR rights" mentality.  If somebody is going to light up a stogie, cigarette or joint and has a cart mate, it's polite to ask if your partner would be bothered.  If we're walking or I'm in another cart, no need to ask.  

Music is the same thing. I'm personally not a fan, despite the fact that a.) I'm a musician and b.) I really love music.  What I may NOT love, however, is your playlist.  Nor can I expect you to like mine.  So if somebody asks, I'll usually say ok, but my preference would be that you just use earbuds than making me enjoy your playlist.

I like music, but probably won't like your music.

I like cigars, but probably won't like your cigars.

I like cologne, but probably won't like your cologne.

And you probably won't like mine.

However, beer usually accompanies overly loud music and then crazy behavior makes an appearance...

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

I enjoy listening to music, if the group I'm playing with wants to listen then we'll play music, but if we get close to somebody we'll pause it as not to distract them.  I have noticed that some of my better rounds happen when I have ear buds in and just block out everything else. 

Edited by tonyl87
Incorrect grammer

Anthony Lowe

I usually get the WRONG SONG stuck in my head and then my already to-quick tempo is accelerated.

For best play, I need waltzes, etc., and most playing companions don't want that.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

THAT is definitely my excuse when chunking a 40 yard pitch after a humongous drive [I love that word, humongous. It's so rare when you can use it in a sentence].

I try to keep a clear auralization of a Lynyrd Skynyrd song in my head by listening to it repeatedly on the way to the golf course!😄

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

I don't personally choose to listen to music while playing, but if I get paired with someone who wants to listen, it's okay. I can deal with it.

TaylorMade M5 driver, M2 3 wood

Mizuno JPX921 blend - Hot Metal Pro 4-6, Forged 7-PW

Cleveland CBX ZipCore Wedges - 48, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron Squareback putter

I personally dont mind music.  
What irritates me is when you have two carts in the group playing music.  Happens almost every league night.  What makes it worse is they are usually two seperate genres 😂

WITB

... I was able to do a little experiment yesterday. Record Heat combined with aerated greens/fairways left my course empty in the late afternoon. By "empty" I mean absolutely nobody on the course. So in a cart I turned up my music to a much louder level than I ever would when playing with others. For me, it was very loud but even at that high a level, I could barely hear it on the greens and a few  with some elevation from cart path to the green I could not hear it at all. 

... The eye opener for me was if I had it at a level louder than I like in my car all by myself, how LOUD do Bro's have to play their music to be heard an entire fairway away? I just can't imagine sitting in a cart with music loud enough to rival a Truck and Tractor pull and not knowing it can be heard faaaaaar beyond my group. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 2:22 PM, Ron Folkinga said:

What are your thoughts about music while playing golf? I've played about four or five rounds with a guy I ran into last summer. He is a friend of a friend who I had met once before but didn't know at all. He insists on bringing a speaker and installing it on the cart and playing 70's rock all day long while playing. The first few times it didn't bother me too much but I still wasn't wild about it. The last couple of times it really started bugging me and affecting my game. For the record we're both in our 60's and I love music. I have a nice stereo set up at home and love listening to good music. I like a lot of different genres and I do listen to some oldies once in a while. But four and half hours of listening to 70's rock just doesn't do it for me. The last time we played we were on the first tee and on came Bob Segar's "Old Time Rock and Roll." I just couldn't take it any more and asked him politely if we could just cut the music this time. He seemed somewhat offended even though he insisted he wasn't. He replied that he would agree "this one time." He's never asked if music bothers anyone and if anyone so much as makes a peep while he's on the tee box he has no problem turning around and giving them a dirty look. 

What do you think, pro music or no music?

I could go either way with music but if I’m the one playing or controlling it, I’ll always ask the group if they’re okay with it. And I’ll have it at a level that you can’t here it 2-3 holes away. 

I feel like there should be a general sense of common courtesy on the course. Or what about a single AirPod in for the guy who does like it. Can still listen but without being disconnected from conversation and being a possible distraction. 

RevBare from Canada

Music should be played at a level that doesn't bother other groups if you're listening. If your group prefers it, no big deal at all! Just don't disrupt other groups in my opinion.  

:callaway-small:Driver: Ai SmokeTriple Diamond

:ping-small: G425 MAX 12* w/ 3 Wood shaft

:srixon-small: Utility 3 Iron

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:titleist-small:Wedges:  SM10 50* 54* F Grinds and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

I don't care to listen to music while I'm playing. That being said, last week I played with a couple of young guys (they were 15/16, I'm 40) who were both playing music. They were polite about it and asked me if it was ok to play music. The thing was, they had it so low, that I couldn't even hear it unless I was within 5 ft of them. I didn't actually notice it until the 3rd hole and I never actually heard it during any of my shots. For those of you that want to have a little soundtrack at a respectable volume for your golf round, I enthusiastically support you. I won't start carrying around my own speaker anytime soon, though. 

Cobra LTDx Max Driver & 3w
Taylormade M2 3 hybrid & M6 4 hybrid
Taylormade Burner irons 5-PW 
Pinemeadow Wedges (52, 56, 60)
Cobra KING Stingray putter

People should wear headphones, understand there's a small courteous minority who turn it down for other groups, but hate a great day out being ruined by tunes. I play golf to be in nature!

Driver: Titleist TSR2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6s

Mini-Driver: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 340 13.snsei AV Limited Blue FW 75

Irons: Ping i230 4-PW, KBS Tour 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design SM10 Chrome (50/08F, 54/10S and 60/04T)

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser, SuperStroke Zenergy Tour 3.0 Grip 17"

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x White, Bag: Srixon Tour Staff Bag The Open Staff Bag 2022, Buggy: Clicgear Model 4.0 Buggy, Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V6 Shift Rangefinder, Grips: Golf Pride ZGRIP Cord 1 Paper

1 hour ago, stratgolf said:

People should wear headphones, understand there's a small courteous minority who turn it down for other groups, but hate a great day out being ruined by tunes. I play golf to be in nature!

So your entire day is ruined because someone is listening to music?

Interesting…

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

31 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

So your entire day is ruined because someone is listening to music?

Interesting…

No - the day is ruined if someone else deems I should have to listen to their music. It's not a concert.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x White, Bag: Srixon Tour Staff Bag The Open Staff Bag 2022, Buggy: Clicgear Model 4.0 Buggy, Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V6 Shift Rangefinder, Grips: Golf Pride ZGRIP Cord 1 Paper

7 hours ago, stratgolf said:

No - the day is ruined if someone else deems I should have to listen to their music. It's not a concert.

If your entire day is ruined, not just golf but your ENTIRE DAY, may I suggest taking up another hobby that doesn’t involve being around other people? 

I hear reading a book by yourself in your living room can be quite enjoyable…

YES I am saying this tongue in cheek. I can understand being upset that playing partners aren’t considerate. However, having your ENTIRE DAY ruined because of that is far more of a you problem. Don’t like it? Say something politely about it, or suck it up and deal with it. Or just leave if it’s going to bother you so much that your ENTIRE DAY is ruined. 

I’m starting to think that folks just want to find something to complain about nowadays. I’m also not quite sure when we decided to stop being adaptable to the situations we find ourselves in for the most part. Sure there are going to be situations that just aren’t tolerable in life, but I don't quite know when “hearing someone else’s music while playing a game” became one of them based on some of the responses in this thread. 

37 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

If your entire day is ruined, not just golf but your ENTIRE DAY, may I suggest taking up another hobby that doesn’t involve being around other people? 

I hear reading a book by yourself in your living room can be quite enjoyable…

YES I am saying this tongue in cheek. I can understand being upset that playing partners aren’t considerate. However, having your ENTIRE DAY ruined because of that is far more of a you problem. Don’t like it? Say something politely about it, or suck it up and deal with it. Or just leave if it’s going to bother you so much that your ENTIRE DAY is ruined. 

I’m starting to think that folks just want to find something to complain about nowadays. I’m also not quite sure when we decided to stop being adaptable to the situations we find ourselves in for the most part. Sure there are going to be situations that just aren’t tolerable in life, but I don't quite know when “hearing someone else’s music while playing a game” became one of them based on some of the responses in this thread. 

It's interesting that you have more of an issue with someone being irriated by being subjected to someone's music than the person forcing everybody else to listen to their shuffle playlist. Like all things in life - do what you want as long as you don't impose on others and it won't bother anyone. That's common courtesy.

You should also realise this is a debate forum - you may encounter people complaining about things. Perhaps you should stick to reading your book in your living room? I hear it's enjoyable.

1 hour ago, stratgolf said:

You should also realise this is a debate forum - you may encounter people complaining about things. Perhaps you should stick to reading your book in your living room? I hear it's enjoyable.

Nah, I'm just going to keep golfing and remembering that as an adult, I'm fully in control of my own actions and reactions. And if there's something I don't like I know that it's up to me if I'm going to let it ruin my whole round of golf, and my entire day as well. If someone's playing music, I'm going to shrug it off and continue to play my game and remember that I'm playing golf, not working or stuck doing yardwork or anything like that. I find things to be so much more enjoyable when I remember that someone else's actions don't need to provoke a reaction in me. 

19 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Nah, I'm just going to keep golfing and remembering that as an adult, I'm fully in control of my own actions and reactions. And if there's something I don't like I know that it's up to me if I'm going to let it ruin my whole round of golf, and my entire day as well. If someone's playing music, I'm going to shrug it off and continue to play my game and remember that I'm playing golf, not working or stuck doing yardwork or anything like that. I find things to be so much more enjoyable when I remember that someone else's actions don't need to provoke a reaction in me. 

I love this Russ.  A lot of people are actively seeking inconvenience when they could choose to go about their way.  Music on the course should be encouraged IF you wish to listen.  If not, remember you’re in a public space…and if you’re at a CC, abide by club rules.  Besides that, play golf at a healthy pace. 

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I love this Russ.  A lot of people are actively seeking inconvenience when they could choose to go about their way.  Music on the course should be encouraged IF you wish to listen.  If not, remember you’re in a public space…and if you’re at a CC, abide by club rules.  Besides that, play golf at a healthy pace. 

giphy.gif

But in all seriousness, yep - keep up pace of play, respect the course, and just follow the #1 rule in life: don't be a Richard. Pretty much takes care of everything. And if you don't like something, make the personal decision as to whether or not it's going to impact your game or your day. Bad shots on my end or poor decision making? Sure that'll make me upset for a bit. Someone else listening to music, even music I don't like? Nope, doesn't bother me at all.

I might try some music this week for my Match Play round, get me fired up. We used to legit carry a boombox during some practices in high school and even in a couple of matches... it kinda helped from time to time.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Max, 12*, set -1/D, Project X RDX Smoke Red 50, 6.0 Flex

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titleist-small: Prov V1X Left Dash... for now

5 hours ago, stratgolf said:

you should also realise this is a debate forum - you may encounter people complaining about things.

... I have been on golf forums longer than you have been alive and I have never heard any of them referred to as a "debate forum". We are here to exchange knowledge, both giving and receiving of all things golf. Some forums have been more argumentative than others but my golf spy is not one of them. 

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

A lot of people are actively seeking inconvenience when they could choose to go about their way.  Music on the course should be encouraged IF you wish to listen.  If not, remember you’re in a public space

... Goodness knows I love music but there is a good chance I don't love yours. Or you mine. Like politics, the extreme sides on this issue are in the minority but always seem to be the loudest. It is unreasonable to expect to play a public golf course and not hear some music in 2023. It is also unreasonable to play your music so loud everyone else is subjected to it. Neither is "your right" you are both just being selfish. 

... Ideally you should play your music at a level only you can hear when near your walking or riding cart. I say ideally because everyone can be happy. But I play lots of golf in season with strangers as I am on the course 4-6 times a week and with a friend in town I might be out there 7 days in a row. I have been paired up with those playing their music, especially music I don't care for, louder than ideal but never once has it been obnoxiously so. I am aware of it on the tee or green but not so loud as to be distracting. As you and Russ have covered, letting that bother me is a choice, and one I choose not to make so I am no longer even aware of the music in the background because my focus is on my golf and my partners. 

... And to be fair yes, I have run across Drunk Bro's that think they are in their private own world playing music so LOUD it can be heard from a fairly or two away. And it is always rap or country. 🙄  But when I consider how many golfers are on the course everyday and playing over 200 rounds a year they are a statistically insignificant number. Certainly less than 1% so unless I am sitting in front of my window with a megaphone just looking for someone missing the sidewalk and barely touching my lawn with their shoe so I can scream at them dammit, they aren't really a problem. I am not gonna waste any energy on people so selfish they don't care how their actions affect others and in some cases are doing it on purpose anyway because again 99% of the time they aren't an issue.