Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Handicap Cut

gingerbeast87

I currently have 10 score cards saved to my Garmin account. My past three scorecards however have come out a lot better. My current handicap is 26.4 (according to the Garmin golf app).

Speaking to my neighbour about the fact that my score today was only 16 over (awaiting my call from the PGA btw).  This meant that I had a stableford score of 43.  He suggested that I might need a handicap cut.  

I had a look online but couldn't find how to calculate this.  Is there anyone on the forum here who might be able to tell me how I work out a handicap cut?

Many thanks

Ryan

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

23 minutes ago, gingerbeast87 said:

I currently have 10 score cards saved to my Garmin account. My past three scorecards however have come out a lot better. My current handicap is 26.4 (according to the Garmin golf app).

Speaking to my neighbour about the fact that my score today was only 16 over (awaiting my call from the PGA btw).  This meant that I had a stableford score of 43.  He suggested that I might need a handicap cut.  

I had a look online but couldn't find how to calculate this.  Is there anyone on the forum here who might be able to tell me how I work out a handicap cut?

Many thanks

Ryan

I’d suggest reading the rules of handicapping.  See rule 5.9 for posting an exceptional score.  

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Goodness me but trying to work this stuff out seems like it takes a degree in of itself.

However, if I am reading that correctly, if you score 7-9.9 better, you take off 1.0 (so handicap would be 25.4) or 10+ would be 2 off (giving 24.4) which would then need to be double checked against the course handicap chart to see how many strokes i would in fact get.

Being not overly experienced in this sort of thing it makes me head hurt a little bit.

Ryan Gardiner 

4 hours ago, gingerbeast87 said:

Goodness me but trying to work this stuff out seems like it takes a degree in of itself.

However, if I am reading that correctly, if you score 7-9.9 better, you take off 1.0 (so handicap would be 25.4) or 10+ would be 2 off (giving 24.4) which would then need to be double checked against the course handicap chart to see how many strokes i would in fact get.

Being not overly experienced in this sort of thing it makes me head hurt a little bit.

That's why you let the handicap systems figure it out for you 🤣     I don't know if the Garmin unit follows all the rules for computing a handicap.  The other side is that you haven't gotten 20 rounds entered.   I don't maintain an official handicap but I have 20 scores so I just go with what the app I am using calculates.   Handicap index is always checked against the course to determine the number of strokes you get for that course.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

That's why you let the handicap systems figure it out for you 🤣     I don't know if the Garmin unit follows all the rules for computing a handicap.  The other side is that you haven't gotten 20 rounds entered.   I don't maintain an official handicap but I have 20 scores so I just go with what the app I am using calculates.   Handicap index is always checked against the course to determine the number of strokes you get for that course.  

Which app do you use? I'm hoping it won't be too long until I have 20 rounds logged. 

Ryan Gardiner 

8 minutes ago, gingerbeast87 said:

Which app do you use? I'm hoping it won't be too long until I have 20 rounds logged. 

I just use this one:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.companyname.Handicap&hl=en_US&gl=US

There is an iOS version as well.