Big Cedar Lodge Courses (Payne's Valley, Mountain Top, Buffalo Ridge, etc.) vs. RTJ Golf Trail (some combination of courses)???

crb128

Looking to surprise my dad with a golf trip within the next year or two.  If you had to pick one or the other for a week long getaway, which would you choose?  A week playing the courses at Big Cedar Lodge?  Or some of the RTJ Golf Trail courses?  I've visited the courses with Big Cedar, but haven't played.  Looks SPECTACULAR!  At the same time, I have done plenty of researching the RTJ courses and REALLY want to play courses Capitol Hill, Ross Bridge, Grand National, and The Shoals just to name a few.  

What would you choose and what's your reason?  Any advice or suggestions related are very much welcomed as well!

Thanks!

• Driver:  Titleist TSr3 - 9 degree - Tensei 1K Black 65G - X
  • Fairway:  Titleist TSr2 - 15 degree - GD Tour AD BB 7 - X
  • Fairway: Titleist TSi2 - 21 degree - Tensei AV Raw Blue - S
  • Irons:  Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120 - S
  • Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.08F, 54.12D, 58.12D)
  • Putter:  Scotty Cameron Futura (2005)
  • Ball:  Srixon Z-Star Diamond (2023)
  • Bag:  Titleist Hybird 14 (2023)

Cost no option: Big Cedar

Budget constraints: RTJ Trail

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I live in Alabama,  and can say that Capitol Hill is amazing to play. I've run all 3 courses there, and each has its own style. The Judge course hole 1 will absolutely blow your mind!

If you decide to go that route, right now they are offering an Alabama RTJ trail discount card discount for $46.  That gets you 50%off running rates for all of 2024.

You would need 2 cards, but it pays for itself in 1 round. I've also played the Highlands (local to me) and it's fun too with 4,   9 hole courses .

They have so many courses here too. Playing the lower west Alabama courses in the spring hopefully. 

Not trying to sway you,  just offering my personal experience. 

either way you and he will surely have an epic trip!

Having only seen the other courses you've talked about on youtube, it looks amazing!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

In terms of being memorable, Big Cedar Lodge blows RTJ trail out of the water. RTJ is a great budget option and offers a cool experience but cannot compare to what is going in Missouri. Unless you guys live relatively close to an RTJ site I don't think this is even a question. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

I agree with Vandyland. Big Cedar will be much more expensive but worth it in my opinion. I live in AL and the RTJ courses are great but Big Cedar is another level. I went in April of 2022 and it was immaculate. If you stay in the anglers lodge hotel it make it much more affordable as well. Osage is an awesome restaurant also. Top of the Rock par 3 is expensive but incredibly fun. IMG_0223.jpeg.8b79be03aed2f37880749ef93c797417.jpegIMG_0161.jpeg.26a06cf060fe25754178ab082fd24ff0.jpegIMG_0148.jpeg.097c066a6266965d0e3dc70d7f6dc634.jpegIMG_2409.jpeg.bff86bb2abed92ba33167ff3a43f75e8.jpeg

Edited by Ben_Howell34

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

With that being said, on a budget RTJ is a great option. Birmingham and Huntsville are both fun cities and have great courses around besides RTJ that you can play. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter