Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

How many of the Forum members would classify themselves as Adaptive Golfers?

Good afternoon all!

Wow...4 days before Christmas, I should be shopping/wrapping instead of talking golf!  Be here I am.  😂

As the title indicates, how many forum members are Adaptive Golfers?

Rather than take your time to read my description, I would like you to take a look at the following two websites that provide better descriptions of this golfer than I can.

https://www.usaga.org/
https://www.usdgagolf.org/

If there is enough interest, I will continue the discussion from this point.  Thanks!

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Steve

gowfer1959  😎

Spoiler

I am one. A below knee amputee of the left leg, and I just started playing "fetch the ball" in June of this year. It's been a challenge on both fronts.

I did attend three adaptive golf clinics this past Spring which is probably why I took up this sport/game.

I am one. A below knee amputee of the left leg, and I just started playing "fetch the ball" in June of this year. It's been a challenge on both fronts.

I did attend three adaptive golf clinics this past Spring which is probably why I took up this sport/game.

======================================================================

No doubt, there is a challenge.  I have a neurological challenge that has affected my balance within the past 18 months.  I started golfing when I was 8 years of age (I am now 64) - I have re-taught myself an "adapted" swing.  I will spend 2024 getting my golf handicap down.  Maybe I will be able to play in WR4GD tournaments in 2025.  That is the goal anyway.

You say that you attended 3 clinics - are there other day-to-day resources in your area?

Jimmie V. said it best:  "Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.”

Thanks for saying hello!!

Edited by MIgowfer59

gowfer1959  😎

Spoiler

Fantastic resources! I am not, however my brother attends and plays through VA sponsored events.  I'll have to ask him if he is a member through these associations as well. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Fantastic resources! I am not, however my brother attends and plays through VA sponsored events.  I'll have to ask him if he is a member through these associations as well. 

Excellent!  I hope that there is some useful information in those links for him.  Merry Christmas!

Steve

gowfer1959  😎

Spoiler

On 12/24/2023 at 12:37 PM, MIgowfer59 said:

======================================================================

No doubt, there is a challenge.  I have a neurological challenge that has affected my balance within the past 18 months.  I started golfing when I was 8 years of age (I am now 64) - I have re-taught myself an "adapted" swing.  I will spend 2024 getting my golf handicap down.  Maybe I will be able to play in WR4GD tournaments in 2025.  That is the goal anyway.

You say that you attended 3 clinics - are there other day-to-day resources in your area?

Jimmie V. said it best:  "Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.”

Thanks for saying hello!!

@MIgowfer59

I'm 63 so we're in the same age group, and I have balance issues as well because I have no sensation of where my foot is even if i'm looking at it. I adapt to pressure points on my residual limb, and muscle memory. I could be standing on your foot without even knowing it.

Kudo's to you on wanting to compete! Last week the USGA announced the 2025/26 US Adaptive Open near Washington, DC which is about a 5 hour drive for me and I would love to compete but it's highly unlikely I could get my handicap low enough to qualify. I'm around 50+ right now with 15 rounds of golf experience and everything would have to click in a short period of time for that to happen.

Not sure what you mean re: "other resources"? I do have plenty of golf courses close by though. The clinics I attended were put on by Rehab Centers and not limited to amputees only. I found out about those through eaga.org. They have clinics from Maine to Florida.

Edited by scolist

Hello Steve,

Firstly, kudos for diverting from the holiday hustle to delve into the world of golf! I explored the provided links and found the concept of Adaptive Golf truly inspiring. It's heartening to see a community fostering inclusivity and embracing diverse abilities on the golf course. I believe the spirit of Adaptive Golf not only adds a layer of resilience to the sport but also exemplifies the profound impact it can have on individuals' lives. The commitment of organizations like USA Golf to provide resources and support is commendable. Count me in as someone who admires the Adaptive Golfers, and I'd be keen to learn more and contribute to the discussion. Happy holidays to you and all the forum members!

Best,

William

I am not an adaptive golfer, but I've been aware of the abilities of these kinds of players close to 30 years ago.  The son of my club's head pro won the world one-armed golf championship for two years running back in 1993 and 1994.  Obviously not all players are at that level of ability, I still admire the perseverance of these players.  My wife was a volunteer for the 2023 USGA Adaptive Open at Pinehurst, and was impressed both by the golf ability and the attitudes of all the competitors.  I imagine we'll both volunteer when the tournament comes to Woodmont CC in 2025 and 2026 in Maryland.

For @scolist, welcome to golf, for @MIgowfer59 welcome back to golf, best of luck going forward!.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, william_abu said:

Hello Steve,

Firstly, kudos for diverting from the holiday hustle to delve into the world of golf! I explored the provided links and found the concept of Adaptive Golf truly inspiring. It's heartening to see a community fostering inclusivity and embracing diverse abilities on the golf course. I believe the spirit of Adaptive Golf not only adds a layer of resilience to the sport but also exemplifies the profound impact it can have on individuals' lives. The commitment of organizations like USA Golf to provide resources and support is commendable. Count me in as someone who admires the Adaptive Golfers, and I'd be keen to learn more and contribute to the discussion. Happy holidays to you and all the forum members!

Best,

William

VERY kind words!!  And yes, the sphere of Adaptive Golf reaches worldwide.  It has been a part of the European golf world for longer than it has in the USA.  However, the USA is making up for lost time quickly.  Although I would like to shoot 68 on a 7,000-yard course, that is not my reality now.  However, the opportunities presented in golf extend beyond tour-level courses/players.  

From golfers with various physical disabilities (including www.denniswalters.com), to intellectual disabilities (read about Amy @ https://www.igotthis.foundation/,) non-sighted golfers, stroke survivors, those on the autism spectrum, and others.  There is a world of golfers out there that are only now beginning to emerge into a world of ability versus disability, increasing in self-confidence, a spirit of camaraderie, and well...heck...just having fun at a sport many never imagined that they could participate in.

My issue, although limiting, is mild compared to many.  And like you, the inspiration I have gained in my short association with golf in its adaptive forms is tremendous.  So much so in that I have received a Coaches Certification from the USAGA and I look forward to receiving my  World Ranking for Golfers with Disability (WR4GD) which will allow me to compete on a formal basis with other Adaptive Golfers.  

Heh, I started in this sport when I was 8 years old - now 57 years later, I am not going to give in or give it up.

I again thank you for your kind words and I too hope that you had a great Holiday season.  I am looking forward to a new year of golf.  I trust that you are too!

Take good care and hit'em straight!!

Steve

gowfer1959  😎

Spoiler

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I am not an adaptive golfer, but I've been aware of the abilities of these kinds of players close to 30 years ago.  The son of my club's head pro won the world one-armed golf championship for two years running back in 1993 and 1994.  Obviously not all players are at that level of ability, I still admire the perseverance of these players.  My wife was a volunteer for the 2023 USGA Adaptive Open at Pinehurst, and was impressed both by the golf ability and the attitudes of all the competitors.  I imagine we'll both volunteer when the tournament comes to Woodmont CC in 2025 and 2026 in Maryland.

For @scolist, welcome to golf, for @MIgowfer59 welcome back to golf, best of luck going forward!.

Dave, 

Again, thank you for your kind words!  Yes, I have marveled at the talent and abilities of many Adaptive Golfers!  I was aware of the 2023 US Adaptive Open at Pinehurst and this became the source of my interest in rejoining the sport.  Ironically, Pinehurst No. 6 was where I played my last full round of golf in the fall of 2016.  My golf score(s) took a hit from that point on as the neurosurgeon kept chasing a solution to my issue - and succeeded in stopping the progression.  But, while we were at Pinehurst looking at Real Estate, that dream of living on the fairway faded.  Revival is now at hand and the goal is to be competing in 2025 albeit with a slight "adapted" golf swing.  Perhaps we can shake hands hello at that time.  It is a small world after all!

Happy New Year!!

Steve

gowfer1959  😎

Spoiler

@Rob Person Rob, if you ever have the desire and opportunity to join your brother at one of his events, you might be surprised at what actually takes place.

@william_abu William, it's almost the same as I mentioned to Rob, If you can find a clinic/seminar near you, ask if you can attend as an observer? No guarantees on how they'll respond. 

@DaveP043 Dave, you have first hand knowledge on Adaptive Golf through your own eyes and from your wife's volunteering at The Adaptive Open. Please send my thanks to your wife as I don't really expect there to be enough volunteers to work these events. Hopefully by 2025/26 I'll be good enough to qualify, and attend the Adaptive Open and thank you personally.

@MIgowfer59 Steve, congratulations on receiving your Coaching Certification! It appears you've dug in deep on Adaptive Golf and your aim to help others is extremely admirable. Thank You! At your first chance to coach an Adaptive Clinic, I wouldn't be surprised if you became "In Demand". Hopefully we'll cross paths somewhere down the road. Wish you all the best!

Happy New Year!!! 

I actually spoke with him last night, and he is not a member of any Adaptive golf associations.  His participation in VA golf related events is limited to tournaments local to him. (Cocoa, Rockledge, Daytona, Etc.) He told me he does have a friend who takes part in disabled events though. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

8 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I actually spoke with him last night, and he is not a member of any Adaptive golf associations.  His participation in VA golf related events is limited to tournaments local to him. (Cocoa, Rockledge, Daytona, Etc.) He told me he does have a friend who takes part in disabled events though. 

That's awesome!