Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Does Golf Remain Fun?

On 1/24/2024 at 10:59 AM, Josh Parker said:

I recently had a discussion with my wife about how some rounds are frustrating and in general about how hard the game of golf can be.  It really got me thinking about a topic and figured I would start one to see what everyone else has to say.

We never become perfect in golf, and I truly believe that this is something that keeps most of us coming back week after week.  Whether it is enjoying being outdoors walking the course, out with friends or co-workers, or competing in competitions, we are all out here because we love the game. 

So, my question to the Spies is this: As you get better at the game of golf, does it become less fun and more about a personal contest within yourself or does the game continue to remain just as fun as when you started?

I was trying to explain to my wife that I have hard days on the course and it's not because I don't love the game or enjoy spending the time outdoors, but because I know that I could have played better.  I am honestly trying to think where that turn happened for me, where I quit saying, "I'm learning the game" and on to "I know I have this shot or could have played better."

Was it at a certain handicap or a particular moment in a round?  

I know every day that I get on the course or out to the range that I love playing golf and that hopefully will never go away but I do have days that I am working on enjoying the round more.

The game the better you get sets expectations that if not achieved create frustration and causes stressful moments, it’s still great fun with the company you keep but is not fun when you don’t reach your expectations and that’s all generated within because when it all come down , nobody cares what you shot but you and anyone you’re playing against 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

I started playing when I was 11 years old. None of my friends played at the time so it was always with my parents.

I loved the game then and I still do to this day. 

I also love competing and do get a little mad when I play bad but because you're playing with friends and strangers (sometimes), I find a way to find pleasure even on bad days.

In order to keep it interesting, a few of the guys have a 1$ match play going on every day. So if you mess up on hole 1 (and sometimes 2-3-4 more holes), you have something else to play for on top of the exercise!

-Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5 (Kai'Li Stiff shaft)

-5 wood: Cobra Aerojet (stiff shaft)

-Hybrids: Cobra F7 stiff shaft set at 19.5 and 23.5 degree

-Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 forged 5 to PW ( Project X LZ 6.5)

-Wedges: Vokey SM7, 50, 54 and 58 degree

-Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7 (33 inches)

I play between 70 to 80 rounds per year. Living in Alberta, Canada, our season is shorter and with work, that is all I can get in, but watch out when I retire...

P.S. The picture is from my favorite course so far.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:59 AM, Josh Parker said:

I recently had a discussion with my wife about how some rounds are frustrating and in general about how hard the game of golf can be.  It really got me thinking about a topic and figured I would start one to see what everyone else has to say.

We never become perfect in golf, and I truly believe that this is something that keeps most of us coming back week after week.  Whether it is enjoying being outdoors walking the course, out with friends or co-workers, or competing in competitions, we are all out here because we love the game. 

So, my question to the Spies is this: As you get better at the game of golf, does it become less fun and more about a personal contest within yourself or does the game continue to remain just as fun as when you started?

I was trying to explain to my wife that I have hard days on the course and it's not because I don't love the game or enjoy spending the time outdoors, but because I know that I could have played better.  I am honestly trying to think where that turn happened for me, where I quit saying, "I'm learning the game" and on to "I know I have this shot or could have played better."

Was it at a certain handicap or a particular moment in a round?  

I know every day that I get on the course or out to the range that I love playing golf and that hopefully will never go away but I do have days that I am working on enjoying the round more.

Hello @Josh Parker Your message truly resonates with me, as I have been playing this fantastic game for 35 years and have a handicap of 5. It's been an incredible journey, spending countless hours on the course, striving to improve my skills, and enjoying every moment. 

Golf is truly a unique game that challenges us in many ways and never allows us to reach perfection, but that's part of what makes it alluring. You bring up an interesting point about the evolution of fun in golf as our skills improve. From my experience, I found that as I progressed, the nature of fun started to change. It used to be exhilarating to learn and hit a good shot now and then. But as I got better, the satisfaction shifted to setting more challenging goals, like breaking 70 or mastering a particular shot.

However, as much as golf is about setting and achieving goals, it's also about the journey. There's something extraordinary about the game that keeps us coming back for more, whether it's the stunning beauty of the courses, the camaraderie with other golfers, or the personal challenges that the game presents. 

Now, at 58 years old, with a stable handicap and a solid understanding of my abilities, I take pleasure in the game's subtleties. I relish the good days and learn from the bad ones. The desire to improve is still there, but it's balanced with appreciating where I am as a golfer. While hitting longer drives and scoring a hole-in-one will always be a dream, I'm content with the skills I've developed and the enjoyment I derive from playing.

Ultimately, the heart of golf lies in the love for the game itself. It's about the joy of playing, the beauty of the courses, the camaraderie with fellow golfers, and the personal challenges it presents. And while the nature of fun in golf may evolve, the core joy of playing remains constant. So keep enjoying your rounds and cherish every moment on the course, regardless of the scorecard.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

Great responses so far!

One thing I am working on personally is to slow down.  Enjoy the slow rounds.  I am spoiled in the fact that I can go off the first tee at daylight and be done with my round in just over 2 hours.  Most of the time that is so I can get back home and do work and other chores, but I took the wife and one kiddo on a "tart tart" ride for 9 holes yesterday.  I slowed down and just enjoyed the time with them. I wasn't hitting the ball great, and while I was flustered by a couple shots, I slowed down and looked at the smile on my daughters face, getting to ride around with dad checking out the deer and having fun putting a ball in the cup. That 9 holes took almost 2 hours, but it was a great two hours!  

This game allows us to experience so much and I'm thankful for the opportunity. 

Edited by Josh Parker

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I got into golf 8 years ago as it was a sport/game that required no time commitment. I had recently married, started my career, and could no longer commit to soccer/softball/basketball  leagues that held games on a set schedule. Golf intrigued me since I could just go play by myself, whenever I had time. Something to do quickly turned into my obsession: being a high school/collegiate athlete makes me a highly competitive perfectionist, which makes golf a hideous addiction, lol. There’s just something about watching your handicap go down( by huge chunks at first) that just adds to the obsession. Then there’s which sub obsession appeals to you: will you be a club ho(like me) a gear junkie, or a technique/skill player? Will you play more or practice more? The possibilities are endless, and as I’ve come to terms with me reaching the limits of my abilities, I enjoy golf more and worry about my score less. My wife plays with me once a week, and that round with her and friends is always special. I’m way more critical of my play in my Monday league or rounds with a few bucks on the line with friends. Golf is many different things to many different people, and that’s why it’s the greatest game ever.

Edited by Micah T

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I think “fun” is dependent on age, ability and competitive nature. When you’re younger, ability and competitive nature should be at their highest level - with one or both likely declining with age. 

That said, “fun” is what you make it.

If you golf for exercise, friends and “mental floss,” “fun” should be easy. On the other hand, if you’re focused on performance/outcome than pleasure - YRMV. 

Edited by Golf Dawg

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

When I first started playing golf, it was enjoyable - yet frustrating because I hit so many bad shots.  Yet, I continued.

When I finally broke down and took a series of lessons, the real improvement came.  After an initial 10-set of lessons, I went from a 26 handicap to a 12.

Golf became fun, really fun!! 

Then, after several years - I came to expect good rounds and found myself getting angry when I didn't play well.  Dumb...  Yet, I still expect to play well.  I sometimes have to remind myself that if I hit a bad shot, miss a short putt, or lose a ball over the water - nobody died.  I am grateful to have the health and wealth to play this game that I still love (almost 40 years of playing) and look forward to every single round.  So yes, for me - it's still so much fun!

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

11 minutes ago, Peejer said:

Yet, I still expect to play well.  I sometimes have to remind myself that if I hit a bad shot, miss a short putt, or lose a ball over the water - nobody died. 

I am grateful to have the health and wealth to play this game that I still love (almost 40 years of playing) and look forward to every single round.

... Peejer, I do think everyone should expect to play well. Positive thinking can produce positive results. But the real key to happiness in golf and life is "not getting what you want, but wanting what you get". Or another cliche "hope for the best, plan for the worst". Learning to enjoy your good shots while accepting your bad shots can makes every round enjoyable.

... Of course some are more enjoyable than others and your 2nd statement is well stated. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I can't disagree with anything anyone else has said. For me, golf has always been a fun game. Granted it has taken quite a few years to get over the "being angry" aspect of the game when I don't do well or as well as I expected. As I've gotten better it has also increased how much I enjoy it. Since I really don't compete in tournaments or really organized events that has limited the amount of frustrations. What always keeps me coming back is that ONE shot or PUTT that felt sooooo good and the result was as good as any on TV.  

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

great topic

for me golf is frustrating but I absolutely love it!  I don't care for playing solo working on my game.  I can easily spend hours at driving range happily working on my swing and fine tuning clubs, but for me golf is as much a social time as anything.  I am fortunate enough that I get to go to 8+  golf outings every year.  Those are the absolute most fun I have playing.  I am also fortunate enough that my now 21 year old son loves the game and he and I can spend 3-5 hours together bonding.

Paul Mitcham

A very good question.  Does golf remain fun?  According to Webster's New World when discussing sports; "Any activity or experience that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion.'  According to that definition, we would have to answer yes.  According to the late greatest golfer of all times, in my opinion, Bobby Jones, he played golf for the love of the game.  I would venture to say he also played it for the fun of it as well.  He won just about everything he entered and beat the best pros out there as an amateur and yet chose not to become a professional golfer.  First on the list of challenges is that golf is not a game that we can totally beat.  Some have tried and even shot a 58.  As one neared a 59 this past weekend I had to ask myself was he having fun and when he was interviewed, he said he never really thought about the score because he was in a zone.  Does thinking take the fun out of the game.  That six inches between our ears?  Does that interfere with us having fun on the golf course?  Do we put so much pressure on ourselves to shoot a score that we forget the love of this wonderful game and the fun goes array.  As I watched this very talented golf play and I thought to myself what would be the perfect golf score and how much fun it would be to shoot it.  Thinking again, there goes the fun.  Well came up with something close.  Thought 22 under.  That would be 14 birdies and 4 eagles.  Very possible but not highly probable, but would be fun.  At my age of soon to be 78 this year, I strive to shoot bogey golf.  I have realized that low double digit handicap is just in the cards any longer for me, 95% physical and the other 5% in my head.  Also realized that when I go out and play my three rounds a week on our renovated course, the hitting one perfect shoot on each hole can make a fun day for me now.  Having fun on a golf course is getting your ducks in order; ability, expectations, age, difficulty of course, health, and love of the game.  Just understanding what the game offers you and you can offer the game.  Find U Niche.  Hakuna Matata.  👍        

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE