Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf and Yoga

GolfSpy_APH

So I am new to yoga... my wife and I tried to make it a routine but kids decided to make that tricky. I am interested in getting into it a doing some at home programs, but am curious for those who do it already. Does it help with your daily routine or anything? Does it have a positive effect on your golf?

Let me know!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Not yoga, but I have used mainly at work a very,  very  basic form of Tai Chi for nearly 40 years. Though it might be hard to tell by looking at me, I firmly believe it has helped in flexibility and agility throughout the years. Bonus gift, it has helped my frame of mind as to not actually commit any violence towards co-workers or subordinates. 

I love doing yoga (I am going to get in 30 minutes of it today). I think it helps with the golf swing as core strength, flexibility, body awareness, and balance are transferable skills. I have not done a full "flow", but I watch Yoga with Adriene on YT. She's easy to follow (and look at), and has something like 600 videos to pick from. I typically stick to the spine and hip mobility sessions, which have many to choose from. https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene The biggest challenge for me is trying to do it without my kids interrupting. 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

Before I retired my employer brought in a therapeutic yoga instructor weekly. She was amazing and I found it helped with core strength and flexibility if followed at home. This was before I was golfing but I don’t see how it wouldn’t be beneficial, especially as you age. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max Woods/Hybrids/Irons, Clevelend Zipcore Wedges, Odyssey Putters

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So I am new to yoga... my wife and I tried to make it a routine but kids decided to make that tricky. I am interested in getting into it a doing some at home programs, but am curious for those who do it already. Does it help with your daily routine or anything? Does it have a positive effect on your golf?

Let me know!

I will say 110% yes to all questions!

I have a bad lower back that can get tight quick and have been doing stretching and yoga for a while now and it has made a world of difference.  Has helped with rotation in my swing and just overall made me feel better.  I don't wake up hurting like I have for years.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I start most days with a 10 minute yoga session that also includes the McGill 3.  I highly recommend it to all golfers.  I'm 65 and I am more flexible (and less injury prone) now than in my 30s.  It definitely helps with golf--a stronger core, bigger turn and a lot less soreness after a round. 

I also will do longer sessions a couple of times a week to work on specific areas of tightness.

The past year I have been doing parts of my yoga routine on a vibration plate.  It ups the stretching/strengthening to 11.  The vibration plate especially helps hit hard to stretch areas like the psoas and illiacis, and for me, the upper back (between the shoulder blades).

I have lower back issues (spondylolithesis at l4/l5, stenosis,  and other bulging discs) and several years ago took a series of classes called yoga for golfers.  I also do workouts to strengthen the core and hamstrings among other things and maintain flexibility.  

I do 15-20 minutes of yoga before going to range or play a round.  They are easy and effective.  I often spread the yoga exercises over the course of 30-40 minutes while doing other things to get ready.  It absolutely helps.  By the time I get to the range, I have full flexibility, so I can focus on each warmup shot. Most of my friends do zero exercise before getting to the range.  I don’t say anything, but sometimes it’s laughable.  There are many forms of exercise and stretching, but yoga works for me.

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

I do DDPY.  Any old WCW wrestling fan will remember Diamond Dallas Page.  After he retired from wresting he started a yoga program that I've been doing off and on for a few years now.  I mainly started doing it because of my lower back, so every morning I do stretches from his program that focus on the lower back.  I made it through the whole golf season last year without my back going out, so I am a believer.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Does it help with your daily routine or anything? Does it have a positive effect on your golf?

Yes, and absolutely unquestionably yes!

Like others I've suffered from various back issues over the years and adding yoga to my other stretching and exercising (along with chiro and acupuncture) has really helped.

Years ago I'd bought an illustrated guide book to yoga but only really looked into it more recently. I started with the most basic flow and since have added in a few more moves targeting back and hips (that have been recommended by my PT or Chiro or I've seen in a golf mag or website, etc.)

Also the article by the golfer formerly known as jnoble has some great mobility exercises that complement yoga.

The important thing, imho, is to.. (1) get started with a short, basic routine and (2) do it regularly. You WILL see the benefits!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Like all the above - love yoga and find it to be very beneficial. I specifically took it up to help w mobility and flexibility in my golf game.  But today I’d keep doing it even if I was told I could never golf again. Good for the body and mind. 

one suggestion - while I know there are a million videos on line, find a class and instructor. A good one will give  you subtle cues in class that make all the difference.  And don’t worry if you feel like you don’t know what you are doing, or can’t get into a pose.  A) no one cares, B) everyone was there once. 

Depending on where you live, you can often find classes on the MindBody or Momence apps.  Look for a beginner class but don’t be afraid to jump into an intermediate flow. 

my personal favorite is Astanga (half primary series) it’s the same flow every time. Very meditative because you know where you are going.  Builds core strength and some heat. I also love a hot class, but I know that’s not for everyone. I also like a good yin class in the evening. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I can’t say I do yoga but there are some yoga moves I do as a stretching routine. Which I really need to do more of. I have always taken flexibility for granted having it pretty naturally but have been realizing how much I am loosing now. Been trying to do it more but haven’t made it a routine yet. But I think yoga is great for golf as it mixes stretching and stability strengthening. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

I do 10-15 mins of yoga every morning. It started to help my back feel better but I can say with absolute confidence it’s helped strengthen my core and made me more flexible overall when it comes to golf.  I highly recommend it. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have numerous back issues with strenuous, protruding discs, and spondilitis. My back was tightening up so badly that I almost had to give up the game in spite of my daily stretching routines. I started taking a Liposomal Tumereric (Synchro) daily which has really quieted down the inflammation and got me back on the course. I'm 83 y/o and shot my age last week. I'm now in a golf performance program with an emphasis on avoiding injuries sponsored by my local healthcare group and TPI. I'm also curious about the benefits of Yoga. 

I do yoga once or twice a week, a full class at a local studio. It's a game changer in my opinion.

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

I believe yoga has a big impact on mobility and flexibility. While I've attended a couple of classes, I found it's easier to do the various exercises at home, especially since I need to do them after a workout or 18 holes. I do the stretching exercises found in "Yoga For Golfers - Katherine Roberts" dvd series. She is also on youtube, however, it's just easier for me to scroll the DVD. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart