Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf shaft replacement question

I have been playing golf for 3 years, practicing, lessons and playing 2-3 times/week with Ping G720 irons and Ping 420 driver, scoring 96-104 with the goal of breaking 100 consistently and shooting low 90 to high 80’s a few times this year. When is a good time to consider upgrading the driver shaft? And if so, what is the best shaft for my swing speed; 90-100 mph.

FDC

It's really a personal preference, there isn't a specific number/time set in stone. If you are playing well with the current shaft, I personally wouldn't switch anything up. If there is something you are looking for in terms of feel or maybe spin, then you can certainly venture down the shaft rabbit hole. But, it's really hard to recommend one based solely on swing speed.

I know it isn't the easiest option, but your best bet would be to go somewhere and hit a few to see what suits you. Otherwise, check out some reviews here on MGS or YouTube and then maybe try and pick one up secondhand and give it a whack.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

8 hours ago, FDC said:

I have been playing golf for 3 years, practicing, lessons and playing 2-3 times/week with Ping G720 irons and Ping 420 driver, scoring 96-104 with the goal of breaking 100 consistently and shooting low 90 to high 80’s a few times this year. When is a good time to consider upgrading the driver shaft? And if so, what is the best shaft for my swing speed; 90-100 mph.

What is it about the driver that makes you believe the shaft needs to be changed? 

Your driver is likely pretty adjustable in terms of changing the loft up or down, flattening the lie, etc.  If it were me I'd be adjusting it to each setting and making notes on how it performs as a logical first step.

Beyond that there's a ton of questions that need answers before you proceed.  You want distance?  You want more fairways off the tee?  You want a higher or lower flight?  You get the idea.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Hey Bobbers, thank you for your reply. I have never been to one to tinker, but I guess, it is time to start.

Great advice!!

FDC