Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Quick Review: Bridgestone E6+

Matt Saternus

I picked up a dozen of these a Golfsmith a few weeks ago because I had a bit of store credit and their price fit what I had. I used them today during my pre-round warm up and 18 holes at Myrtle Beach.

Warm ups:

I started off doing some chipping with them on a practice green. Because of how crowded it was, I like limited to hitting chips from the fringe, no pitches at all. The ball felt pretty good, and the results were good, though all I was really asking the ball to do on these shots was to be round. When I moved to the putting green, I re-confirmed the results of my carpet putting ball test: this ball is hard. I was using my new copper plated, carbon steel Byron Morgan 006 and with this ball there was a distinct high pitch "tink" that preceded the normal soft feedback. This sound and feel isn't awful, but it is noticeably harsher than any tour quality ball.

On to the course:

How straight is it?

The selling point of the E6+ is that it is straight. I found this to be true, within reason. This ball will not automatically correct a bad swing, but I didn't see the small fades and draws - those became very straight shots. I guess the problem with my saying this is that my ballstriking, while above average (in my mind), is not so good that I can say definitively "That swing would be a 5 yard fade with a ProV1, but the E6 made it dead straight." That is my impression, but you can take it with a grain of salt.

How long is it?

Very comparable to every other good ball I play. Didn't notice any distance differences with my irons and my drives were in the right ball park. I will give the ball credit for being good in the wind, held its line pretty well and cut through it for good distance.

How is it around the greens (100 yards and in)?

Terrible, no other way to say it. Now, is it fair to rip a ball that claims to be straight (i.e. no sidespin) for not spinning around the green? Maybe not, but this ball does not spin AT ALL.

I am not a "drop and stop" or "pull the string" kind of wedge/short game player, but I do expect a full wedge to stop where it lands (give or take a couple feet), and I expect my half wedges and pitches to tap the brakes a bit after they land.

During the course of this round, I hit at least 6 half wedges (my pet shot) and 4 full wedges. Each time, I hit the E6 and then hit a ProV1 to compare. Each time, the E6 hit the green and kept running like I'd hit it with a 3W where the ProV1 would, with a full wedge, stop in its tracks, or with a half wedge, check up a bit and roll to stop within a couple yards. These comparisons were made with equivalent swings. In some cases I even hit a second E6 just to make sure I was giving the ball a good swing and a chance to perform well.

Summary:

This ball will not see the course again on this trip. I can see this being a fine ball for the occasional "I'm going to take on way more water/hazard than I should" shot, or it could be useful in a scramble because it's pretty long and straight off the tee. Beyond those applications, it's not for me. While it is a bit straighter than average, it gives up way too much performance around the green.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I had this same experience. Before my driver and I had our current understanding, I did the B'stone fitting and was a side spin machine. Dude running it said here hit these. e6+

Wanted the Rx's. This did motivate me to address driver issues and the next time he rolled in with the fitting, the rx was the fit. Remembered me and my messy output from before and complimented me on my efforts. :)

Back to the e6+. OK on the tee. Hated it near the green, chip or putter did not agree with me.

I did just pick up a bunch of boxes of e5+ from target clearance last month for $7 a dozen though.

At that price I will forgive a lot and hopefully the urethane cover on the 5 will stop it. I may hit these too high though...

Give the extras to some young kid on the course.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I had this same experience. Before my driver and I had our current understanding, I did the B'stone fitting and was a side spin machine. Dude running it said here hit these. e6+

Wanted the Rx's. This did motivate me to address driver issues and the next time he rolled in with the fitting, the rx was the fit. Remembered me and my messy output from before and complimented me on my efforts. :)

Back to the e6+. OK on the tee. Hated it near the green, chip or putter did not agree with me.

I did just pick up a bunch of boxes of e5+ from target clearance last month for $7 a dozen though.

At that price I will forgive a lot and hopefully the urethane cover on the 5 will stop it. I may hit these too high though...

Give the extras to some young kid on the course.

That's a good idea, I'll do that. I'll need to bring them back home, though, it's nothing but big groups of old guys here.

What is the e5 supposed to do? I didn't realize that different e series balls had different covers.

• SPY VIP

That's a good idea, I'll do that. I'll need to bring them back home, though, it's nothing but big groups of old guys here.

What is the e5 supposed to do? I didn't realize that different e series balls had different covers.

I didn;t know it was urethane until I looked at the box. Supposed to promote increased height. Hopefully it will not be the 155 yard 7i that is 155 up and 10 forward.

Only a 2 piece. little crisp on the putter when I have taken it out in the cold. it may be a totally fun summer ball though.

I do have 3 boxes to move through. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

I didn;t know it was urethane until I looked at the box. Supposed to promote increased height. Hopefully it will not be the 155 yard 7i that is 155 up and 10 forward.

Only a 2 piece. little crisp on the putter when I have taken it out in the cold. it may be a totally fun summer ball though.

I do have 3 boxes to move through. :)

Haha, everyone is trying to sell me balls. I've still got a stash and there are half a dozen different things I want to try: TriSpeed, Wilsons, RXs, probably some others.

I have 2 doz Mojos that I can pass on to you for cheap too.

I played the Mojo for a good long time, and I think my dad still has a couple boxes somewhere. That was a nice ball for me when I was getting started - better than a lot of other balls, but not too expensive that I was upset about losing one.

I'm trying the Gamer tomorrow, have you played that one?

• SPY VIP

I played the Mojo for a good long time, and I think my dad still has a couple boxes somewhere. That was a nice ball for me when I was getting started - better than a lot of other balls, but not too expensive that I was upset about losing one.

I'm trying the Gamer tomorrow, have you played that one?

No but that is my buddies dad's ball. He really likes it. Talks tons of smack to his son with the pro v1's when he beats him on a hole.

My budget ball is the Zip. Not sure why, but I find it's softness comforting. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

No but that is my buddies dad's ball. He really likes it. Talks tons of smack to his son with the pro v1's when he beats him on a hole.

My budget ball is the Zip. Not sure why, but I find it's softness comforting. :)

I do like that aspect of the Gamer: I'm playing a $1 ball and whipping your @$$. I'm glad they got rid of those Kenny Mayne commercials, can't stand that guy.

If the Gamer doesn't work out, I'll give the Zip a look. $15/dozen is a nice price. Is the Zip a 2 piece? You mention softness - do you mean that in terms of low compression or a soft cover?

• SPY VIP

I do like that aspect of the Gamer: I'm playing a $1 ball and whipping your @$$. I'm glad they got rid of those Kenny Mayne commercials, can't stand that guy.

If the Gamer doesn't work out, I'll give the Zip a look. $15/dozen is a nice price. Is the Zip a 2 piece? You mention softness - do you mean that in terms of low compression or a soft cover?

The zip is touted as "zero compression" and I think it is a two piece. I find that it does have issues stopping sometimes, but not as bad as the e6.

No yellow srixons?

Volvo Intorqueo

The zip is touted as "zero compression" and I think it is a two piece. I find that it does have issues stopping sometimes, but not as bad as the e6.

No yellow srixons?

No yellow srixons at $40+/dozen, that's for sure. I'm hoping that by the time I need to buy balls the yellow will have made itself to the Trispeed.

No yellow srixons at $40+/dozen, that's for sure.

And yet your comparison ball in your E6+ test was the ProV1?

A more valid test would be to pit it against the Titleist NXT Tour or even the Trispeed which is at a comparable price point. A mid priced ball isn't going to spin as much as a premium ball because it lacks a Urethane cover (no matter how many layers it has).

I guess my experience was different. I think the E6+ is a relatively soft ball - somewhere between a marshmallow like AD333 and a hard ball like the E5. I like the way it feels off the putter.

In terms of spin, for a Surlyn cover ball I think it does OK - maybe one hop and some roll out. It doesn't spin as much as the NXT Tour, but its straighter off the tee and I will take that trade-off because if you end up in the rough for your approach, then you're not going to get any spin regardless and I'd much rather be hitting from the short stuff in that situation.

The other thing I like about the E6+ is that it is durable. I rarely have to replace it due to a cut cover.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

A more valid test would be to pit it against the Titleist NXT Tour or even the Trispeed which is at a comparable price point. A mid priced ball isn't going to spin as much as a premium ball because it lacks a Urethane cover (no matter how many layers it has).

I guess my experience was different. I think the E6+ is a relatively soft ball - somewhere between a marshmallow like AD333 and a hard ball like the E5. I like the way it feels off the putter.

In terms of spin, for a Surlyn cover ball I think it does OK - maybe one hop and some roll out. It doesn't spin as much as the NXT Tour, but its straighter off the tee and I will take that trade-off because if you end up in the rough for your approach, then you're not going to get any spin regardless and I'd much rather be hitting from the short stuff in that situation.

The other thing I like about the E6+ is that it is durable. I rarely have to replace it due to a cut cover.

Don't you play the NXT? Why do you choose that one rather than one of the high end offerings? Is it value/budget?

Volvo Intorqueo

I wasn't trying to compare the E6+ as apples to apples against the ProV1, I'm aware they're not comparable balls. The purpose of hitting a couple of ProV1's was to prove to myself that stopping the ball on these greens was possible given the course conditions and the swing I was putting on the ball. I have played many mid-level balls, so this was really a comparison against them.

Don't you play the NXT? Why do you choose that one rather than one of the high end offerings? Is it value/budget?

I do play the NXT Tour. I will post a review later today.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I wasn't trying to compare the E6+ as apples to apples against the ProV1, I'm aware they're not comparable balls. The purpose of hitting a couple of ProV1's was to prove to myself that stopping the ball on these greens was possible given the course conditions and the swing I was putting on the ball. I have played many mid-level balls, so this was really a comparison against them.

No, that makes sense. The reason I brought up the ProV1 is that you mentioned in another post in this thread that the Srixon Z-Star Tour was too expensive and yet you were bagging the ProV1, which is one of the most expensive balls on the market.

BTW, I failed to compliment you on your review. Very detailed and well written. Nicely done sir. :D

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

when testing balls, I always tell customers to take a sleeve of 2 different balls to the course and hit them on a hole when it is not busy. Hit 6 tee shots, 6 approach shots, 6 pitch shots, 6 chips, and 6 putts. You should have a really good idea after that...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

No, that makes sense. The reason I brought up the ProV1 is that you mentioned in another post in this thread that the Srixon Z-Star Tour was too expensive and yet you were bagging the ProV1, which is one of the most expensive balls on the market.

BTW, I failed to compliment you on your review. Very detailed and well written. Nicely done sir. :)

I see. The ProV1's that I play are all recycled, as I mentioned in yet another thread. Thanks for the props on the review. I'll be posting reviews of the TM Burner TP, TP Black, and ProV1X in the next couple of days.

I see. The ProV1's that I play are all recycled, as I mentioned in yet another thread. Thanks for the props on the review. I'll be posting reviews of the TM Burner TP, TP Black, and ProV1X in the next couple of days.

Gotcha. I must have missed your mention of that. I've always wondered about recycled product but I think its off topic so maybe a subject for another thread...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 9 years later...

Just found one of these, wondered about them! 

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

Archived