L.A.B. DF3 - my fitting, testing and review - the hottest putter in golf?

Braehead

It’s a wonderful thing…witnessing the L.A.B. Growth within golf.  Everyday it seems there are more and more people putting their bias aside and putting them through a fair test. 

Nice job!

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I am happy with my fitting, but it's different to the online result.  That's all I'm trying to point out here.  I can only assume from my results that my current putter is a poor fit and I have manipulated my body position to fit it.  Otherwise I'd have expected my video fit and in person fit to be the same.

However you can see from my testing that the putter I used still outperformed my current putter despite being very different from my recommended specs.  The online fit may well have done the same but I am personally happier to have had an in person fit.   

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway Paradym, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Toulon Atlanta with KBS OneStep shaft

Ball: ProV1x (or Wilson Staff Model X)

Nice review.  I have been extremely happy with the online fitting and my DF2.1 has worked great. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

27 minutes ago, Braehead said:

I've copied and pasted this review from my own blog, but I've struggled to copy over the photo's so please bear with me and I'll copy them over as and when I can.

Before getting into the review, if you can't read a green, pick a line or judge pace, then a new putter will not solve your problems. Invest some time to learn these skills before going for a fitting and you will get much greater benefit. I know that sounds rich coming from me, especially given how many putters I've gone through over the years, but it's true! My lessons with Mike Rae at Drumoig and Mike Lander at the Academy have produced big improvements in my green reading and aim. Most (if not all) of my putting issues are mental/confidence-driven! Putting is a beguiling combination of art and science. I believe I've got a decent grasp on the art part, so let's see if the science of putter design is the missing link. Maybe even the L.A.B. Link.1 putter!!

Who and what are L.A.B Putters?

Link 1 and Mezz

If you've not heard of L.A.B. Putters then where have you been? I know a couple of people who were early adopters of the DF2.1 and after Adam Scott started using the broomstick model, I started noticing them more on tour. Their profile exploded when Lucas Glover had his storming end to the 2023 season using the Mezz Max broomstick. If you listen to interviews with the CEO, he says orders went mad after that. Now it seems I can't open YouTube without seeing someone reviewing the new DF3 or experimenting with the other models (especially the broomstick). Watching the recent Cognizant Classic from Florida, I noticed several players using L.A.B. putters. Even Phil Mickelson had one in the bag over on LIV and that's a massive change for him. My understanding is that L.A.B. doesn't pay anyone to use their putters, so these are professional golfers making their own choices.

L.A.B. stands for Lie Angle Balanced. These putters are designed to eliminate torque during the putting stroke and bring the head back square at impact. All other putters on the market will twist to some degree during the swing, which can lead some players to try and manipulate the club to bring it back square. Therefore, in theory, you should be able to make a smoother, more repeatable stroke with a L.A.B. putter. For more detailed information I would direct you here https://labgolf.com/low-torque-putter-revolution/ The L.A.B. 101 section of their website is an excellent resource and explains everything much better than I can.

The fitting experience with Adam at Auchterlonies

I've been interested in L.A.B. putters since my friend Graeme Clark started using the DF2.1 a few years ago. Despite his eulogising, I just couldn't get comfortable with the looks. When they launched the Link.1 and the Mezz, my interest increased and I would always pick them up for a "waggle" in Auchterlonies. I've continued to meet more players using them (mostly Mezz) and I always ask how they find them. Most are evangelical, with comments like "it's my cheat stick" image.png.03f6ab7af4c971ceee333699dbe5c0c2.pngor "it's my magic wand" being common. Some have bought them speculatively in standard specs and others have gone through the L.A.B. online fitting service (more below). Given how much these putters cost, I've not been prepared to use either of those methods. When Adam Legg at Auchterlonies said he had the fitting kit and the new DF3 was about to be released, I thought it was the perfect chance to try them properly and booked an appointment.

Adam knows my history with putters and also my likes and dislikes. While familiarising myself with the L.A.B. range in the fitting bay, we had a wide-ranging conversation about eye dominance, posture, the impact of my glasses, my miss tendency and what frustrates me most about putting. Addressing the point I made at the start of the blog, we also chatted about how I read greens and assess pace. Because we still had my SAM data from the last session we already know I can make a good, repeatable stroke in the studio. Therefore we decided not to repeat SAM analysis this time and go straight into the L.A.B. fitting itself.

Can you fit a putter correctly online?

L.A.B think you can, but I've got some serious doubts! Static measurements are taken for preferred length and lie using an adjustable version of the DF2.1. You stand in the posure you feel most comfortable with and where you you best see the line of the putt. The club is then tightened and the measurements are recorded. My fitting came out at 33 inch long with a 73 degree lie angle. When I did the online fitting https://labgolf.com/remote-fitting/, it recommended 32.5 inch long with a 68 degree lie angle. That's a considerable difference between the two methods and justifies my scepticism towards the online method. For the online fitting, you use your current putter. If you have manipulated your posture to fit that club then I would suggest you are going to get the wrong results using this method. If anyone from L.A.B. happens to read this review, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts about this. When I did a similar exercise with Bruce Rearick he has you stand in putting posture WITHOUT a putter. This will more accurately reflect your natural tendencies and more closely resembles the in-person method above. Adam thought I might have manipulated the handle a bit so we split the difference between the fittings and adjusted the DF2.1 to 71 degrees and 33 inches long, then hit some putts. My goodness, it performed well!

Moving swiftly on, I tried the Link.1, Mezz and DF3, before I settled on DF3 as my preferred shape. The Link failed the confidence test on short putts and I wasn't keen on the shape of the Mezz or the Press 1.5 grip. Unfortunately, Adam's demo DF3 was a standard 35 inches long and 69 degree lie, so I had to grip down and manipulate the lie slightly when trying it out. As I will come on to later regarding cost, I was keen to see if I could fit into a standard spec putter. Gripping down a couple of inches was fine but we could both see that I was manipulating the lie angle somewhat. Despite achieving decent results (detailed below), the custom specs would be the best option.

Testing, testing, testing

The studio only has three different lengths of putt and you soon get used to them, so Adam suggested I take the club away for a couple of days to try on the academy practice green and on course if possible. He also suggested I take a Mezz with the optional Accra shaft upgrade. Obviously, I jumped at the chance and headed to the practice green. Given the cost of this putter, I didn't want to make a purchase decision based only on how it performed in the studio. I would strongly urge anyone doing a putter fitting to find a facility where you can try the putter on a real green using a wide variety of different putts. Like sports teams, putters can look great on paper but perform poorly on grass! Testing inside isn't a true reflection. As Adam didn't have another L.A.B. fitting booked for a couple of days, I was fortunate to get an even longer trial.

Living in St Andrews, I am extremely fortunate to have such fantastic practice facilities close by. The last picture with the cored green is at The Duke's with the rest all being at the Academy. I set up several challenges including round-the-clock from 3ft, 6ft and 9ft, a ladder drill and a gate drill to check my start line. Without hitting the same putt twice, I took random putts with different lengths and breaks to check distance control. Then I finished with a par 2 trip around the green using one ball. You only get one attempt on the course, so practice should be as close to that as possible. I used games to get some pressure into the practice sessions, especially for short putts. Day 1, had two practice sessions on two different greens. On day two I put the DF3 head-to-head with my Toulon Atlanta and also spent some time using my PuttOut mat and Devil Ball in the garage. On day 3, I played 9 holes on the Eden course and spent more time on the Academy practice green doing further head to head testing.

The indoor testing had some interesting results. If you've not heard of the Devil Ball you can find more information here https://puttout.golf/products/devil-ball. It's an easy-to-use practice aid for assessing impact angle. It proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the Maranello is NOT the putter for me. I could hardly keep the ball on the mat, it was coming off the face at such wild angles. The comparison between the DF3 and the Toulon Atlanta was much closer. If I had to call it, I'd say I was initially more consistent with the Atlanta than the DF3 but the DF3 improved as I got used to it. The grip on the DF3 is too large to use my Blast Motion sensor, so I can't see what was happening in my swing, but I had a slight tendency to start the Devil Ball right. Moving the ball position around made improved the contact. Moving to real balls saw the DF3 pull ahead of the Atlanta. My pace control was better and I "holed" the ball in the Perfect Putt more often. Both putters outperformed the other options and I would call this test a draw. The Atlanta is a good example of a putter that has performed well indoors but less well on grass, particularly with shorter putts. I wouldn't be trying the DF3 otherwise!

Looks

In my opinion, the DF3 is the most attractive option in the current L.A.B. line-up, although its unconventional looks will still not appeal to everyone. The photo here doesn't do the putter justice and its size is more appealing when you get it in hand. It is considerably smaller than the DF2.1 and not much larger than how I remember the original Taylormade Spiders. It certainly can't be any bigger than the one that Brian Harman uses! Owning more compact mallets, I was initially concerned about the size, but quickly got used to it. In fact, after about 10 minutes I stopped noticing the head altogether as my attention was drawn almost exclusively to the T alignment lines. The rest of the head almost melted away, which was an odd sensation. The Atlanta wins for looks, but neither putters can match the beautiful Maranello.

Winner: Toulon Atlanta

Grips

The new pistol grip is excellent and I far preferred it to the other L.A.B. grips I tried. It is very disappointing that it only comes in white though, as black would be much more practical. A quick look at Adam's Mezz, with the same grip, proves how quickly it will discolour. I don't think any white grips, from any brands, age particularly well.

My Atlanta is fitted with my all-time favourite putter grip, the Lamkin Deep Etched. But being totally honest, I slightly preferred the shape and feel of the new L.A.B. grip. Please offer a black one!

Winner: DF3, but only just

Feel

Just like looks, sound/feel are also very personal. The DF3 makes a reassuring "clunk" that was a nice, solid sound. The Mezz had more of a high-pitched "ting" that I really didn't like. Another golfer close by was using a Mezz with the standard steel shaft, so I asked if he would mind swapping to see if we felt any differences. Interestingly, the Mezz with the steel shaft had a similar sound to the DF3. Neither of us liked the sound with the Accra upgrade or noticed any significant difference in how putts performed. That's an easy "no" to the Accra shaft upgrade.

I've always liked the feel of my Atlanta. Toulon make lovely milled heads with a feel that's just the right balance of firmness off the face. It's also make a similar "clunk" sound to the L.A.B. I've retrofitted a KBS One-Step and far prefer it to the original StokeLab.

Winner: Draw

Performance: alignment

Even though the DF3 wasn't in my specification, it continued to impress. Putting practice has never filled me with enthusiasm, but I enjoyed using this putter so much that I've had four long sessions with it. I particularly like the T alignment aid on top of the head and found it easy to aim, most especially on shorter putts. I like the similar arrangement on my Maranello too. I wasn't keen on the small single line on the Mezz and the back flange line used on the Link.1. I've never liked the large flange line on the Atlanta and wish I'd found one with a top line instead.

Winner: DF3, especially with short putts

Performance: lag putting and pace control

Moving to pace control, I found the DF3 much better than the Mezz, which I felt had a hotter face and was difficult to control. Was this due to the Accra shaft? I've seen some reviews talk about needing to grip these putters more lightly than conventional putters, but I didn't feel the need to make any changes. If you're gripping your current putter too tightly then that's probably the first thing you should work on. The big positive with lag putting was that I wasn't worried about second putts, as I was already more confident from shorter distances.

The Atlanta acquitted itself well in these tests too but has the big benefit of familiarity from use over two seasons. The main difference was that I was less confident on the second putts with it. My testing highlights that I can indeed putt well with the Atlanta, but the L.A.B. just inspired more confidence.

Winner: DF3

Performance on the course

For an extended test, I managed to play 9 holes on the Eden course. Main greens have been aerated and sanded recently but the Eden greens seem to be further into their recovery and were rolling nicely. There was nothing worse than a two putt during the round and the DF3 acquitted itself very nicely. Play was slow so I had a chance to take some extra practice putts and compare with the Atlanta while I was waiting for the tee boxes to clear. The Atlanta benefits again from immediate familiarity, but the more I used the DF3, the more confident I got with it. It was easier to swing the Atlanta hard for very long putts, but I'm sure I would get used to that with the DF3 with more practice. If there was a dominant miss, it was to the right, whereas the Atlanta was to the left. This was similar to the Devil Ball experiment.

Winner: DF3, but it was close

Conclusion

L.A.B. advertising uses the phrase, "Less to think about" and that really sums up this putter. Especially when it came to my nemisis of short putts. I've been very fortunate to benefit from an extended test with it and would like to thank Adam Legg and Auchterlonies again for that opportunity. I've needed the time though as this is an expensive club, and not one to buy on a whim or after a short session on mat. I've been very fortunate to subject it to comprehensive testing.

If you are lucky and fit the standard specification, the DF3 costs around £459, but if, like me me you need a custom spec then it will set you back an eye-watering £549. That's a significant difference to alter the length and lie. Playing about with custom shafts and different alignment patterns, I even got the price up to a staggering £944!

However, with L.A.B. putters you're getting something truly innovative. You're paying for years of research and development into the technology and the fact that all putters currently have to be balanced by hand, which is labour-intensive. L.A.B. CEO Sam Hahn claims his margins are lower than other manufacturers and when I watch videos of the factory and build process, I can believe him. Modern drivers now regularly cost over £500, yet seem to change every six months and players seem happy to pay that for the promise of longer, more consistent drives. We use our putter more often, will (hopefully) keep it longer and it could contribute more to lowering your scores. After all, greater confidence putting undoubtedly has a beneficial impact on the rest of your game too.

So I'm left asking myself, "How much is confidence worth?" Because confidence was the primary thing this putter gave me over my Atlanta. If I've aimed it correctly, it's going in. There were no horrible, wobbly backswings or twitchy, wristy, steery stabs at the ball either. Having trialled the DF3 for an extended period, including on the course, it simply made me feel positive about putting again. I believe that confidence has been my missing link to better putting and that's what the DF3 gives me. Therefore, it's worth the investment for me and I've placed an order.

Now, does anyone want to buy my old putters? I need to raise some money!!

Excellent review, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole thing.  

🙃

I've been looking at LAB putters for a while but man is the price steep. It shouldn't be an issue considering I'll pay a lot for a driver I might use 14 times a round but a putter I'll use for almost half my strokes... I do agree that the looks of the DF3 are a major upgrade compared to the previous version. 

Edited by BreakfastBall15

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

10 minutes ago, Braehead said:

However you can see from my testing that the putter I used still outperformed my current putter despite being very different from my recommended specs.  The online fit may well have done the same but I am personally happier to have had an in person fit.   

II see you have worked with Bruce Rearick.  I noticed in some of his recent posts and videos he has mentioned L.A.B. putters.   Does your putting align with what he sees working with putters like the Edel, L.A.B., and Axis 1 ?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

II see you have worked with Bruce Rearick.  I noticed in some of his recent posts and videos he has mentioned L.A.B. putters.   Does your putting align with what he sees working with putters like the Edel, L.A.B., and Axis 1 ?   

Yes - I've worked with Bruce but don't know his views on these putters.  My Atlanta is the result of working with him though and you can see how closely it's come to the DF3.  

I have been very interested in the Lab putters for a while but my aim with them always seems a little off and inconsistent when trying them in stores. A putter fitting last year also showed this and I ended up in a Edel putter. This new DF3 has really got me thinking as I seem to aim it well when I have tried it. Just really hard to justify the money when I just got the Edel last year. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

51 minutes ago, ZackS said:

I have been very interested in the Lab putters for a while but my aim with them always seems a little off and inconsistent when trying them in stores. A putter fitting last year also showed this and I ended up in a Edel putter. This new DF3 has really got me thinking as I seem to aim it well when I have tried it. Just really hard to justify the money when I just got the Edel last year. 

I'd have loved to have gone for an Edel fitting but they don't have an agent in Scotland.  Watching David Edel explain the impact of head shape, neck, alignment lines and the way they test all those things really sets them apart from other brands.  The other manufacturers give you what they want to make, rather than what you need.  

Great review, lots of good info!

I get the comments about static fitting - eg. "For the online fitting, you use your current putter. If you have manipulated your posture to fit that club then I would suggest you are going to get the wrong results using this method."

I agree in principle, although just a random thought that the potential purchaser may not have any idea that they are, in fact, manipulating the putter's aspect to fit them .. instead of the other way around like it's supposed to be.

So I guess the next question, which is really for LAB, is 'does the online fitting adjust for any discrepancies - can it distinguish if the putter seems artificially toe up or toe down?'

Ok enough rambling 😄

Also curious about the DF3 line others but can see the importance of getting the lie angle right with this one...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

23 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Going to push back on the fitting side. I have seen enough of us go through the virtual fit to know it works. Maybe not for everyone, but we have had enough members try and use it to know that it works for the majority. 

It is a simple easy way to effectively fit golfers into a putter that will work for them. Which is more than can be said for most golfers that walk into a store and roll a few putts then decide that putter is good for them. 

Of course it may not work for all, but they have a good system and I think that should be recognized for its simplicity and functionality to the masses. 

12 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

I get the comments about static fitting - eg. "For the online fitting, you use your current putter. If you have manipulated your posture to fit that club then I would suggest you are going to get the wrong results using this method."

I agree in principle, although just a random thought that the potential purchaser may not have any idea that they are, in fact, manipulating the putter's aspect to fit them .. instead of the other way around like it's supposed to be.

So I guess the next question, which is really for LAB, is 'does the online fitting adjust for any discrepancies - can it distinguish if the putter seems artificially toe up or toe down?'

To @GolfSpy_APH I would say a resounding "maybe". I think there's a really big assumption that your current putting setup/stroke is remotely likely to lead to success in real life. I agree that it likely gets most golfers pretty close with their current setup most of the time. I think their assumption is "the golfer in this video is comfortable", and for those with not-so great setups that isn't always a fair assumption if they've putted with stock length/lie angle their whole golfing life. I think there is a high likelihood that virtual fitting alone misses out on edge cases where your existing setup and grip is garbage (my use case). 

I would be very interested to hear LAB's own thoughts on this, but from what I have read, LAB were a bit more interventionist in the early days - i.e. pointing out if a golfer's setup/eye location were not ideal from the virtual fitting video. I get the impression (anecdotal, non-confirmed) that now they take more of a "dance with the one ya brung" fitting approach of mild adjustment for toe up/down from the putter in your video as opposed to recommending a totally different setup.

My own LAB journey has been instructive, as I saw some solid improvements in start line, but quickly realized there was more going wrong inside my swing as a result of the LAB holding up an unbiased mirror on every stroke. When I sent in my fitting video I was using a toe hang putter, putting left hand low, and on further review had my eyes about 2-3 inches outside the ball. No wonder I was manipulating things a lot!

Once I got my LAB I experimented with ball position, putting mirror, and laser, and realized I was setting up with an incorrect eyeline and way too open shoulders. I dropped left hand low, and moved my eyeline inside the ball (experimenting to see what position had me seeing the ball straight into the hole). As a result, my posture changed and my hands are now way too far out in front of my given a too upright lie angle.

I was lucky to be able to go to a store that had the LAB fitting putter (with adjusable length/lie angle) and play around until I got putts rolling where I was aimed 100% of the time, in a position that felt comfortable and repeatable.

My use case may be extreme (even if the solution was only a 2 degree lie angle change for me), but I do think some folks think a LAB putter can fix poor technique/setup, which is false. It is very possible it will improve outcomes, but putting a more consistent roll and line on badly hit putts, but you will also hit a ceiling that is limited by poor technique. 

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

Over the past nine months, I have been conducting extensive research on LAB Golf putters, and I am highly interested in trying one for the upcoming 2024 golf season. As a golfer, I have always been confident in my putting skills, but I have experienced occasional mishaps due to a push or a pull. Therefore, I am curious to see how the new DF3 putter will work for me, given that I have always played with a blade putter, but have had some decent results with mallet putters as well.

In summary, I am eagerly looking forward to trying out the LAB DF3 putter to see if it can help me improve my putting game in 2024.

JSki_Golf

44 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

from what I have read, LAB were a bit more interventionist in the early days - i.e. pointing out if a golfer's setup/eye location were not ideal from the virtual fitting video. I get the impression (anecdotal, non-confirmed) that now they take more of a "dance with the one ya brung" fitting approach of mild adjustment for toe up/down from the putter in your video as opposed to recommending a totally different setup.

The ultimate question becomes do you fit the putter to what the payer is doing or do you  change the player to fit the putter or maybe something in between.   This question remains in a live fitting as well.  Changing a player  starts to be instruction and could interfere with what a players actual instructor is doing.  Are the LAB fitting guys actually instructors?  Will they ever say that a LAB putter doesn’t fit how you putt?  

the Lab approach seems to be we are going to fit you to what you are doing and then if you say it doesn’t work we will coach you to help make the fitter putter work better.   

multiple approaches that can work and like the full swing part of it is dependent on if you are willing to put in the effort to make the putter work. 

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

The ultimate question becomes do you fit the putter to what the payer is doing or do you  change the player to fit the putter or maybe something in between.   This question remains in a live fitting as well.  Changing a player  starts to be instruction and could interfere with what a players actual instructor is doing.  Are the LAB fitting guys actually instructors?  Will they ever say that a LAB putter doesn’t fit how you putt?  

Great take. I guess for me putting is such a small motion/high proportion of your scoring total that it makes more sense to fix the player not the equipment first. There are so many variables in a 90mph+ full swing, that it can be very tough to retrain one element without some other compensation also coming into play. Putting changes can often reveal benefits so quickly that it was a no brainer to spend time there.

My own personal decision to fix my putting stroke was motivated by the fact that 2º open or closed with my driver is often recoverable (as long as it's consistent in one direction), but 2º closed with my putter will result in a miss 80% of the time over 3ft. I think I've bought into the idea that the consequences for a missed shot are much greater the closer you get to the hole.

Anyway, I don't want to distract from @Braehead's excellent review thread, but it has been fascinating to watch the LAB Facebook group and see people selling putters after 2-3 rounds that didn't have immediate effects. My own putting journey has shown it takes a lot of time, practice, and almost a brand new swing to get the best out of LAB putters.

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

2 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Great take. I guess for me putting is such a small motion/high proportion of your scoring total that it makes more sense to fix the player not the equipment first. There are so many variables in a 90mph+ full swing, that it can be very tough to retrain one element without some other compensation also coming into play. Putting changes can often reveal benefits so quickly that it was a no brainer to spend time there.

My own personal decision to fix my putting stroke was motivated by the fact that 2º open or closed with my driver is often recoverable (as long as it's consistent in one direction), but 2º closed with my putter will result in a miss 80% of the time over 3ft. I think I've bought into the idea that the consequences for a missed shot are much greater the closer you get to the hole.

Anyway, I don't want to distract from @Braehead's excellent review thread, but it has been fascinating to watch the LAB Facebook group and see people selling putters after 2-3 rounds that didn't have immediate effects. My own putting journey has shown it takes a lot of time, practice, and almost a brand new swing to get the best out of LAB putters.

You're right.  That's really the point I'm trying to make in the first paragraph.  I'm very fortunate I was given the time to put the putter through such an extended test and the result was really close with my Atlanta.  Certainly no slam dunk for the L.A.B.  I've owned a LOT of putters and none have been a substitute for practice!  

5 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

I don’t think we are taking away from his review; just discussing our feelings based on his statements.  

Your perspective is the same as many the putting stroke is easy and let’s just change.  In your scenario putter fitting isn’t necessary except for maybe length, just grab something and figure out how to make it work.    I prefer to go the opposite want and find a putter to fit what I am doing.   When the pressure is on we typically fall back into old habits.   The OP original fit was based on working with Bruce Rearick and I have also worked with Bruce.   Based on Bruce’s experience the LAB isn’t a putter that works well for my stroke and my experience with the putter proved that to be true.   

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t think we are taking away from his review; just discussing our feelings based on his statements.  

Your perspective is the same as many the putting stroke is easy and let’s just change.  In your scenario putter fitting isn’t necessary except for maybe length, just grab something and figure out how to make it work.    I prefer to go the opposite want and find a putter to fit what I am doing.   When the pressure is on we typically fall back into old habits.   The OP original fit was based on working with Bruce Rearick and I have also worked with Bruce.   Based on Bruce’s experience the LAB isn’t a putter that works well for my stroke and my experience with the putter proved that to be true.   

I'm really pleased to see the discussion, so please don't have any concerns about that.  It's all additive to the review, especially with other LAB owners commenting too.  

This putter does not conform with Bruce's fitting - that would be a heal shafted, high toe hang putter.  I know that Bruce would tell me that my dominant tendencies will reassert and this putter will ultimately break down as a result.  When I'm on my game and confident, then I putt really well with that style of putter.  I've owned and tried a lot of different flow-neck blades over the last few years, but prefer the forgiveness the Atlanta mid mallet gives.  If Odyssey did a flow neck version of the TriHot 5K Two or Doublewide rather than just the Three, then I might not even be here.  The tech in those clubs really works and gives a lot of forgiveness for a blade.  I've just sold my 5K Three and the Maranello is listed for sale too.  

I've gone to L.A.B. because I feel I can make a better stroke with those awkward 3-8ft putts.  The true test will come in 5-6 weeks time when I get my fitted club and put it into competitive play.  I can try to recreate pressure in practice but it can never match reality.  I'll decide what to do with the Atlanta at a later date.  

40 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think I'm actually closer to your opinion that you think 🙂 I've become a firm believer in three things this past 12 months of golf:

1. Mental game > almost everything else
  2. Setup determines the outcome of shots more than any other factor
  3. Improving at golf requires targeting and working on the places you're losing the most strokes

I agree with you that under stress we revert to old habits, and so in my mind that means I want to start every shot in golf from the most natural/comfortable body position that I can achieve, and consistently aim where I mean to. Obviously none of us are golf pros, but I find it fascinating that most of what they practice pre-round is alignment and setup. I've read a LOT of Rotella/Faxon etc. this year as my putting has been horrendous (including a career high of 45 putts on one round).

Things I have learned on my "trying to suck less at putting" journey.

1. Pace wins, always
  2. Face angle is 80%+ of start direction of putt
  3. Quiet eyes may or may not be a thing, but 100% commitment to target is essential
  4. Good putting strokes flow and are based on a consistent tempo, with stroke length determining putt distance not "force" of impact
  5. Confidence is a huge part of "loving putting"

For me, my LAB Mezz has been unbelievably effective in making putts inside of 10ft as close to automatic as they have ever been.

IMG_DF5172BB9EF9-1.jpeg.fb2a8aef2065246c8adf7dadf7e59bdf.jpeg

My ethos is now based entirely on getting into a setup that allows a comfortable repeatable stroke (hence sending my LAB putter back to get lie angle adjusted more flat), and practicing the hell out of lag putts from 20-40ft (my current three putt nemesis). The ExPutt has been a game changer for real time feedback on face angle at impact and dialling my lag putts.

TLDR - find a putting position that feels comfortable and lets you start the ball there you think you're aiming it, then get fit for a putter that allows that stroke to happen with as close to 0º face angle deviation as possible. LAB removes the torque angle for me, and as a result I can putt the ball 5ft past the hole and still feel confident I will hit the comebacker 70% of the time.

For reference, my last three rounds post-ExPutt have been insanely good from inside 10ft:

IMG_1938.jpg.e4826f6443fc5f156fb13691f4bed4df.jpg

Edited by Rearviewmirror

On 3/11/2024 at 10:25 AM, ZackS said:

check out that video at the 4:33 mark. for me, adjusting the position of my eyes to get the coins to line up was an absolute game changer as far as aiming. I have to line up with my eyes passed the ball to make that work, and now I don’t even think about aiming, since I can actually see the line correctly while in a putting stance. also, i did some research and found that many right eye dominant golfers can aim a dot better than a line, so I got a dot on my df2.1, and i’ve never looked back.

as to whether you should pull the trigger on the df3… no equipment recommendation is going to be fool proof, but this is as close as it gets. for me, traditional putters are like the brakes on classic cars, and lab putters are like antilock brakes. there are certainly classic car aficionados out there, and more power to them, but i’m more comfortable driving my family around in a vehicle with antilock breaks, because they work better every time. 

Edited by ryan.mzzz
spelling, grammar

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

How long does it take to get used to the forward press grip as I am told it is a different feeling to using another putter

Driver:  Callaway Paradym X 10.5* HZRDUS Blue 6.0

5W: TM Stealth 2 HD Speeder NX Red Stiff

7W: PXG 0211 Tensei Blue 65 Stiff

Irons:  Takomo 101s 5-PW KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX2 52/56/60 DG115 Wedge Flex

Putter: Lab Golf Link 1

Ball:   TP5

Tech: Flightscope Mevo+, Shotscope V3, DeWiz

1 hour ago, Nemac said:

How long does it take to get used to the forward press grip as I am told it is a different feeling to using another putter

Let's use the Mezz, which I've fooled around with, as an example.  There's a "line" formed between the black and white segments of the Presse grip as you grip it when addressing the putt.

If you center that line over the leading edge of the putter face you'd be in pretty good alignment.

Another way to look at it is this: if you hold the putter grip in a perpendicular orientation to the ground you'll have the intended "forward press" of the putter face.  Simply "ignore" the putter head and take your stroke.

Simple answer is that it's not a big deal to get used to using the Presse grip.

Of course that's not applicable to your Lab Link.1, they don't recommend using the Presse grip on that model in their line.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

It's arrived - shame the Scottish weather is so poor right now as I'm desperate to get out and try it! 

Using it on the mat in the garage, it's much better than the demo now that I've got it in the correct length and lie angle.  I'm looking forward to trying it for real.  

When collecting, I compared its size against the Odyssey Ai Cruiser that is so popular right now and front to back it is almost exactly the same.  Obviously, the shape of the DF3 is less conventional but if anyone says it's massive etc, then point them to the AI Cruiser.  I'd be interested to see it against an original Spider too but there are not many of them around these days.

IMG_8861.jpeg.2885bec44661cdff6245404051158547.jpegIMG_8864.jpeg.71ed07741007aebb302206c07aa6c190.jpegIMG_8862.jpeg.d440247d8f7218d5e4e5f0d65bbd75d2.jpegIMG_8863.jpeg.46100820825913d813c7568daebec15d.jpeg

Edited by Braehead
extra content

Finally got the pictures into the main part of the review - I'll get better at this eventually!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, I'm 8 rounds in with the DF3 and according to Tangent I'm +1.1 strokes gained putting against scratch player.  I'm pretty happy with that.  I'm just back from playing 5 rounds in Turkey where the greens were rather different than here in St Andrews too, so an even better performance.

One thing I've notice with this putter relative to my Toulon is that it's definitely faster off the face and I'm not missing short as often as I used to (like to die the ball in the hole).  I actually quite like that but I'll need to adjust my putt reading and take less break if I continue to hit it firmly.  

My primary gripe - please, please, please bring out a black version of the grip - mine is already filthy!  

Edited by Braehead
Extra content

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A playing partner recently looked at the DF3 headcover in my bag and said "MC Hammer"

I can't get that image out of my head now and every time I pull the putter from the bag I'm thinking "Hammer Time" 🤪  I wonder if they should try to get Jason Day with his baggy trousers to use one......

IMG_9100.jpeg.f2e030e6d2b3997991301a818fdac03b.jpeg

As an aside, the head cover is not holding up well.  I've only had it a few weeks and already it is flaking at the edges.  

Edited by Braehead