TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts ×

BagBoy Volt - Unofficial Review

Posted (edited)

Very interesting. Thanks for the posts.  I love my Nitron but would love so help with the electric, so I think I will wait to see if they improve the model.

EDIT Love you flag bag!

Edited by johnsomp
Ping G425 Max

Callaway Mavrik SZ 3 wood

Ping G410 3 Hybrid

Mizuno 900 JPX Forged 4-GW

Vokey SM8 54 & 58

LAB Mezz.1

Titleist ProV1

On 5/18/2024 at 8:24 AM, johnsomp said:

Very interesting. Thanks for the posts.  I love my Nitron but would love so help with the electric, so I think I will wait to see if they improve the model.

EDIT Love you flag bag!

Went to this from my Nitron, which I too loved.  It is every bit as stable, if not more so.  I have about 12 rounds in on mine and the only challenges I have had are wet grass and hills, my group cutting the cart off and my needing to make a quick adjustment, or just plain head up my backside operator error.  I don't quite understand why people think remote carts are Billy goats that can and should go everywhere.  A simple tap of the button and it goes into manual mode to push it around the toughest part of the journey, for 95%+ it is smooth and easy to operate, 4% you have to think about, and that last 1% just grab it.  As for people complaining about it shutting off while they are walking behind it, this is a much better option that having accidently set it in motion and it takes off on its own....ending up in a lake, creek, etc..  It is not perfect, but way better than the Alphard my my clicgear and way easier to deal with than the big bulky models.  Can't make everyone happy, but for ease of use, knowing you may have to think your way around some obstacle, or at worst case touch the cart, it has been a good investment for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve purchased my BagBoy Volt just 2 months ago. I have maybe 20 rounds of golf on it, and I’m very happy with my purchase.

One issue came up, the release button for the battery got stuck in the depressed position and would not “pop” out. Before I man handled it - I contacted the support person and discussed. He never ran to the issue before, looking at the clip that holds the button in place - it seemed fairly easy to assume- push the 2 tabs in and it should release. As we were confirming the theory. He came up with a quick solution- to use small needle nose pliers to push both tabs in together and at the same time push the assembly through the frame. Worked great - cause was debris that caused the button to stick. Very easy fix. 
Comments about tracking, yes - your not going to go straight on an incline- but I can hold the handle and help the cart up or down the course as needed (tip) one real help for me - I switch the cart into manual mode going down hills, crossing bridges, or anywhere that may cause a tip and fall.

Tipping over when going up hill. So I could some small square 2 lb weights (2x4x1” thick) they are used in weight work out vests - based on my bag and “stuff” and my umbrella (old guys need to stay out of the sun) I add the number of weights to create counter balance. It works great! I do lose some battery - but on average I have 2 lights at the end of 18 holes.

Scorecard hack, this has worked out great for me. I don’t like using the lid cover as a clipboard so I made one to fit the unused side of the umbrella holder. $3 small clipboard, pvc (3/4” tee, 3”s of 3/4” pipe, 3/4” cap, 3” bolt and twist nut, rubber washer) paint - because I like it to match. Purchased a small clipboard (it needed to be trimmed to a scorecard size. Cut the upper half of a pvc t in half and epoxied to the bottom of the clipboard. Drilled a hole in the top of the cap to hold the nut added a washer. The used my belt sander to miter the cap - so once assembled the scorecard would tilt towards the rear of the cart. ( after mitering the cap - I covered the mitered area with epoxy to strengthen- and fill the hole left after the miter) painted it black - and it works great!! Highly recommend a little DIY time.

TIp - I see lots of courses now renting these e-carts , give it a try - who knows - you may have one next!

Scorecard holder pic’s  (google link)

at the end of the day. My BagBoy Volt - Best retirement gift I’ve ever given myself. 

1 hour ago, Benny B said:

I’ve purchased my BagBoy Volt just 2 months ago. I have maybe 20 rounds of golf on it, and I’m very happy with my purchase.

Yeah, I’ve learned to switch to Manual Mode more and more often to avoid the tipping. 

I’ve thought about adding weights, or even attach something to the front of the cart where the bag rests- just haven’t figured out what. 

Looking at your pictures - are you storing the Volt in a storage tub?  If so can I ask what size?  Can you get a lid on it? I’ve been using a caddy tech bag but it’s an imperfect solution.  Love the idea of a rigid storage tub  

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Yes, I keep the BagBoy in a tub I picked up at Home Depot. And, no the lid will not fit.

Tub purchased at Home Depot 14 Gallon, photo

attached is the Tub Label - keeps all the debris out of the car. You’ll need to remove the front wheel. I lay the wheel in the tub it sits under the BagBoy. 
please notice, the front of the Bagboy hangs on top of and over the tubs edge. This has never been a problem for me.

On 5/31/2024 at 2:14 PM, Benny B said:

One issue came up, the release button for the battery got stuck in the depressed position and would not “pop” out. Before I man handled it - I contacted the support person and discussed. He never ran to the issue before, looking at the clip that holds the button in place - it seemed fairly easy to assume- push the 2 tabs in and it should release. As we were confirming the theory. He came up with a quick solution- to use small needle nose pliers to push both tabs in together and at the same time push the assembly through the frame. Worked great - cause was debris that caused the button to stick. Very easy fix. 

I’ve had this same issue - battery won’t lock in place. I tried your solution, pushed the tabs w pliers and it popped back up - but still won’t lock.  And when I push back down on the button it gets stuck again. Not sure if there is just grit or sand in there or what. But same issue. Luckily the weight of the batter pay and the bag on top of it seems to keep it in place. Because even without it locking the battery has never come out 🤞

The zippers on my CaddyTech bag are not the best and your idea of a tub inspired me - tried one size larger - doesn’t want to fit right - certainly not w a lid. Oh well. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

1 hour ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I’ve had this same issue - battery won’t lock in place. I tried your solution, pushed the tabs w pliers and it popped back up - but still won’t lock.  And when I push back down on the button it gets stuck again. Not sure if there is just grit or sand in there or what. But same issue. Luckily the weight of the batter pay and the bag on top of it seems to keep it in place. Because even without it locking the battery has never come out 🤞

The zippers on my CaddyTech bag are not the best and your idea of a tub inspired me - tried one size larger - doesn’t want to fit right - certainly not w a lid. Oh well. 

I've found with drill batteries that don't want to lock or get stuck tabs a piece of gorilla tape or duct tape over them helps keep the battery secure.  Maybe it will help?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Wafflehousetour,

Before removing the lock from the cart. Are you able to push the locking tooth in an and have it recoil easily on its own? If it feels gritty or the spring is not pushing the tooth out easily, in my case I removed the button from the cart (be careful the locking button has 2 internal spring - it would create a whole new problem if 1 was lost) I used my compressor to blast out as much sand, dirt or whatever else may have been obstructing the button from working correctly, then used WD40 dry lube to help with sticking (I’m sure with the location of the button it will be a regular maintenance item) so far for me - it’s working good. I’m no expert, but you may want to look at the spring behind the locking tooth to see if something is obstructing that spring from traveling back and forth correctly. Best of luck!

Two birds - One stone 

IMG_6196.jpeg.d7140dfd864a723d5687591173acbe1c.jpeg  IMG_6197.jpeg.c70f45a76a4d2f001cd96c104bf795d8.jpeg

Dont know why I haven’t thought of this before…. I always feel a little guilty not filling my dicots while walking. Been thinking about getting some extra weight over the front wheel to help keep it from tipping. 

Drilled the hole to mount it this evening. Anxious to see if it works as I hoped tomorrow. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Two birds - One stone 

IMG_6196.jpeg.d7140dfd864a723d5687591173acbe1c.jpeg  IMG_6197.jpeg.c70f45a76a4d2f001cd96c104bf795d8.jpeg

Dont know why I haven’t thought of this before…. I always feel a little guilty not filling my dicots while walking. Been thinking about getting some extra weight over the front wheel to help keep it from tipping. 

Drilled the hole to mount it this evening. Anxious to see if it works as I hoped tomorrow. 

Thats awesome!  I was looking to get a tube one that would sit in a clamped on cup holder for the franken-cart , your location is brilliant!

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

On 6/5/2024 at 6:13 AM, Rob Person said:

Thats awesome! 

Yeah, easily one of my better ideas. I’ve been looking for a place, or method to attach a bottle. But there are no round tubes on the volt. Unless you use the handle and I don’t want any more weight higher or behind the wheels. 

yesterday was the maiden voyage and it worked great. Sure, it’ll still tilt bake if left unattended on a big incline. But no more popping wheelies just rolling down the fairway. It’s not a lot more weight but the fact it’s out in front of that lead wheel helps. 

I’ve got a sand bottle w a cap on it.  Just have to make sure I get no leaks in the “golf bag” in the trunk carrying my gear. Also an incentive to use up the sand by 18

4 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Yeah, easily one of my better ideas. I’ve been looking for a place, or method to attach a bottle. But there are no round tubes on the volt. Unless you use the handle and I don’t want any more weight higher or behind the wheels. 

yesterday was the maiden voyage and it worked great. Sure, it’ll still tilt bake if left unattended on a big incline. But no more popping wheelies just rolling down the fairway. It’s not a lot more weight but the fact it’s out in front of that lead wheel helps. 

I’ve got a sand bottle w a cap on it.  Just have to make sure I get no leaks in the “golf bag” in the trunk carrying my gear. Also an incentive to use up the sand by 18

Forgoce me WHT, but It sort of looks like one of those hospital urine jugs.  😆 🤣 😂 

15 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Forgoce me WHT, but It sort of looks like one of those hospital urine jugs.  😆 🤣 😂 

Yeah, SheawhoMustBeObeyed has already commented on that. We’ll see what other kind of feedback i get out in the course. 

• 3 weeks later...

100 Mile Check In

IMG_6282.JPG.66df0c8ab9602b8a7d7b5d976a00c8de.JPG 

I'm actually over 100 miles after the last two days, but I thought it was time to give a long term update. 

I've been kind of hard on the Volt.  However, I've learned to love the manual mode around the green complexes and every time I'm going down hill. I just won't let it go on piloted mode downhill anymore.  Doesn't have the braking control.  So I hold onto it in manual mode.  The addition of the sand bottle has resulted in no pop ups, wheelies, getting stuck spinning or tipping.  Just a sand bottle with a pound or two of sand hanging out over the wheel and its completely changed my perspective.  For those with a heavier bag I doubt you will have a problem.   So let me repeat - in the last four weeks - no tipping!  No wheelies.  I think it has made it a lot more stable. 

After the sand bottle on the 9th tee box...

Previously posted before the sand bottle on the 9th tee box...

The big pluses:

Without question #1 is the battery. So easy to remove and charge.  Also I have gotten two rounds out of a single charge.  Forgot to charge it one night and went on the road for a few days, came home, played a round and discovered I was starting at half a charge.  I made it around.  Nothing to spare but I made it around. 

#2 is size - I've got it folded up in a bag in my trunk with other gear.  Its been easy to open/close and stow. And I love the storage bag under the dashboard. 

#3 is the remote - simple and the range to the cart is long.  How long I don't know, but I've gotten it moving from probably 60 to 70 yards away.  I think I initially complained there was no holster or belt clip.  I have gotten used to just putting it in the holder on the carts dashboard.  Second nature now.  

The minus - I still find that automatic shut off to be annoying.  Really annoying.  If it must be, I wish it was a longer time.  Though I have learned to just click a button - slight steer to the left or right - just to keep it moving even if it doesn't need it.  And not walk directly behind it...

As I said at the start of this post - I've been pretty critical of the Volt.  I also added the caveat that I carried a pretty light weight bag.  So I thought it was fair to share the updated experience since I added some heft to my set up.  

IMG_6283.JPG.4cbc17d64eb743530c2c754d45f60df5.JPG

6 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

100 Mile Check In

IMG_6282.JPG.66df0c8ab9602b8a7d7b5d976a00c8de.JPG 

I'm actually over 100 miles after the last two days, but I thought it was time to give a long term update. 

I've been kind of hard on the Volt.  However, I've learned to love the manual mode around the green complexes and every time I'm going down hill. I just won't let it go on piloted mode downhill anymore.  Doesn't have the braking control.  So I hold onto it in manual mode.  The addition of the sand bottle has resulted in no pop ups, wheelies, getting stuck spinning or tipping.  Just a sand bottle with a pound or two of sand hanging out over the wheel and its completely changed my perspective.  For those with a heavier bag I doubt you will have a problem.   So let me repeat - in the last four weeks - no tipping!  No wheelies.  I think it has made it a lot more stable. 

After the sand bottle on the 9th tee box...

Previously posted before the sand bottle on the 9th tee box...

The big pluses:

Without question #1 is the battery. So easy to remove and charge.  Also I have gotten two rounds out of a single charge.  Forgot to charge it one night and went on the road for a few days, came home, played a round and discovered I was starting at half a charge.  I made it around.  Nothing to spare but I made it around. 

#2 is size - I've got it folded up in a bag in my trunk with other gear.  Its been easy to open/close and stow. And I love the storage bag under the dashboard. 

#3 is the remote - simple and the range to the cart is long.  How long I don't know, but I've gotten it moving from probably 60 to 70 yards away.  I think I initially complained there was no holster or belt clip.  I have gotten used to just putting it in the holder on the carts dashboard.  Second nature now.  

The minus - I still find that automatic shut off to be annoying.  Really annoying.  If it must be, I wish it was a longer time.  Though I have learned to just click a button - slight steer to the left or right - just to keep it moving even if it doesn't need it.  And not walk directly behind it...

As I said at the start of this post - I've been pretty critical of the Volt.  I also added the caveat that I carried a pretty light weight bag.  So I thought it was fair to share the updated experience since I added some heft to my set up.  

IMG_6283.JPG.4cbc17d64eb743530c2c754d45f60df5.JPG

Okay, now you are just showing off with some cart stunting! 😆 

Seriously though,  glad the little extra weight has improved its functionality!!!

Amd I can't laugh at the pee jug anymore,  as I am using an actual hospital collection jug as a sandpot!