Tester

JCole

52 minutes ago, SDGolf619 said:

I understand all the requirements about testing. However, I tried updating my user image and it's showing an error (something went wrong, unknown error, error 200) after I resized the file which should be compliant.

My bigger question is, I am left handed. I understand I could be selected to test something non-dexterity based, but are the clubs and putters themselves ever left-handed or are demo clubs all right handed?

There are tests for lefties, I just recently did the Odyssey Ai-ONE test as a lefty.

There are also plenty of other lefties on the forum overall.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

This is exactly a get out what you put in situation. Anyone can write one paper or say I’ll do what I promise. Sorry but that isn’t good enough when OEM’s are trusting the staff with HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS worth of equipment every year to give to members to keep free of charge. All the members have to do is follow the rules and SHOW they can be trusted. It’s not really that hard of a concept.  

We are up front and honest about the criteria to qualify. Whether you like it or not is your choice.  It also doesn’t take a ton of time or effort to prove you would make a good tester. We aren’t asking for 50 posts and 5 hours a day of your time.  There are members that have been chosen with less than 50 posts in 6 months that have been chosen.   Unofficial reviews of clubs you have or have tried recently are a great start.  If you have a club that the members are reviewing now, hop in and give your thoughts.  

If you stick around(hopefully you do), you will find out pretty quick there is always something to talk about as there are many things that aren’t even fully golf related that are discussed. 

I just don't see how you'll ever a) gain trust, or b) know how well someone will test and review something, just from forum posts on the internet.  A submitted piece of writing would make much more sense.  We'll just have to agree to disagree; I see your mind is set.  I love golf and I do chat in forums (car repairs, technical matters, etc.), but golf just isn't something I can see chatting about in forums.  It's a very personal sport/activity, and I can't really ask or give advice about the golf swing without it being in-person.  I could certainly write a review of a product, but again, I'm not going to just churn out a bunch of those in hopes that the right person will see it, like it, and pick me for something.  That's just a strange process to me.  Sorry.

SIM2 Driver, Apex irons, MD5 wedges, Odyssey putter

10 minutes ago, BrianVT said:

I just don't see how you'll ever a) gain trust, or b) know how well someone will test and review something, just from forum posts on the internet.  A submitted piece of writing would make much more sense.  We'll just have to agree to disagree; I see your mind is set.  I love golf and I do chat in forums (car repairs, technical matters, etc.), but golf just isn't something I can see chatting about in forums.  It's a very personal sport/activity, and I can't really ask or give advice about the golf swing without it being in-person.  I could certainly write a review of a product, but again, I'm not going to just churn out a bunch of those in hopes that the right person will see it, like it, and pick me for something.  That's just a strange process to me.  Sorry.

You are missing the point of wanting to see posts in the forum. It shows a little commitment to this place. As I said anyone can write one paper but that shows us nothing for your commitment to MGS.  This is a community of golfers not a review site. Yes we do member reviews but that’s not what this forums core is about. It’s a Perk given to those that care to take the time to be a part of this family.  

I’ll just put it like this. You are right, my mind is set and you arent gonna change it. I’m not gonna agree to send someone $1500 set of irons cuz they gave me their word they’d be a good reviewer but don’t have time/want to post here to prove it unless it’s for a review.  

Sorry not sorry. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

6 minutes ago, BrianVT said:

I don't see how submitting a piece of writing gains trust and know how well someone will test and review something.    Everyone has interests and things they want to get involved in.  The forum is more than tests;  it is a community of people that want to talk about all things golf not just the golf swing.  The selection criteria is spelled out and how this forum has decided to do things it seems pretty successful.  Perhaps one of the other golf forums can provide a selection process that works better for you.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don't see how submitting a piece of writing gains trust and know how well someone will test and review something.    Everyone has interests and things they want to get involved in.  The forum is more than tests;  it is a community of people that want to talk about all things golf not just the golf swing.  The selection criteria is spelled out and how this forum has decided to do things it seems pretty successful.  Perhaps one of the other golf forums can provide a selection process that works better for you.   

Another golf forum?  I just said I can't see myself chatting about golf.  I'm not looking for a golf forum.  I wanted to test a product and leave a review.  I think what he's leaving out here is that he needs a lot of activity on the forums for ad revenue and other similar targets for the platform, which give him the ability to "receive hundreds of thousands of dollars of product."  He's not actually looking for trust or proof of good writing, and that's all good and fine.  Probably just needs to layout that there's some type of quota before you can be selected because of internal targets.

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

You are missing the point of wanting to see posts in the forum. It shows a little commitment to this place. As I said anyone can write one paper but that shows us nothing for your commitment to MGS.  This is a community of golfers not a review site. Yes we do member reviews but that’s not what this forums core is about. It’s a Perk given to those that care to take the time to be a part of this family.  

I’ll just put it like this. You are right, my mind is set and you arent gonna change it. I’m not gonna agree to send someone $1500 set of irons cuz they gave me their word they’d be a good reviewer but don’t have time/want to post here to prove it unless it’s for a review.  

Sorry not sorry. 

Anyone can write a paper; not anyone can write a good one.  That's the point.

If that recent post up above that just came through is an example of a review that gives you the 'trust" to have him test and review something, wowzers...

3 minutes ago, BrianVT said:

Anyone can write a paper; not anyone can write a good one.  That's the point.

If that recent post up above that just came through is an example of a review that gives you the 'trust" to have him test and review something, wowzers...

It seems clear you don't agree with the testing selection process, and honestly, that's totally fine. But there is a method to the madness, and it's nothing as nefarious as "ad revenue  and other similar targets."  Someone posting "cool!" or "I like this" 50 times is not the same thing as someone posting about their recent round, asking a question about gear, asking advice on a swing (believe it or not, a lot of people give advice about someone's swing based on a video of it, including a lot of highly-paid coaches), etc.  While it ISN'T about quantity, it's a basic guidepost we use to see how involved someone is.  Ironically, your back and forth here on this thread, despite perhaps feeling combative at points, is the kind of discussion and liveliness that we (as forum staff) LOVE.  It honestly helps illuminate the process even more, which we're all about.  It's why we posted the "How to be a tester" post in the first place, and why it constantly gets brought up again and again, as it's all laid out right there.  

I totally understand where you're coming from, raising a family and working, and a golf forum might not fit in with that schedule.  I have two kids of my own, and once school is over, it's non-stop until bedtime, and by then, I'm usually exhausted and want to crawl into bed.  That being said, I have a desk job with JUST enough down-time to keep a tab on things and poke my head into various threads to see what's happening.  But for a lot of people, that's not an option, and god bless you - no sarcasm.  

If and when you're interested in joining a community of a bunch of genuinely passionate golfers, come on back - we'll be here with even more testing opportunity, because the people here who are picked for testing, LOVE it, and want to do even more. 

Appreciate your viewpoint, and hopefully you can recognize the passion that people have for this place (that sometimes MAY come out aggressively 😉 ).

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

It seems clear you don't agree with the testing selection process, and honestly, that's totally fine. But there is a method to the madness, and it's nothing as nefarious as "ad revenue  and other similar targets."  Someone posting "cool!" or "I like this" 50 times is not the same thing as someone posting about their recent round, asking a question about gear, asking advice on a swing (believe it or not, a lot of people give advice about someone's swing based on a video of it, including a lot of highly-paid coaches), etc.  While it ISN'T about quantity, it's a basic guidepost we use to see how involved someone is.  Ironically, your back and forth here on this thread, despite perhaps feeling combative at points, is the kind of discussion and liveliness that we (as forum staff) LOVE.  It honestly helps illuminate the process even more, which we're all about.  It's why we posted the "How to be a tester" post in the first place, and why it constantly gets brought up again and again, as it's all laid out right there.  

I totally understand where you're coming from, raising a family and working, and a golf forum might not fit in with that schedule.  I have two kids of my own, and once school is over, it's non-stop until bedtime, and by then, I'm usually exhausted and want to crawl into bed.  That being said, I have a desk job with JUST enough down-time to keep a tab on things and poke my head into various threads to see what's happening.  But for a lot of people, that's not an option, and god bless you - no sarcasm.  

If and when you're interested in joining a community of a bunch of genuinely passionate golfers, come on back - we'll be here with even more testing opportunity, because the people here who are picked for testing, LOVE it, and want to do even more. 

Appreciate your viewpoint, and hopefully you can recognize the passion that people have for this place (that sometimes MAY come out aggressively 😉 ).

Thank you.  That was a very nice and productive post.  BTW, yes, videos definitely work for swing advice; I was speaking specifically about discussing in text on a forum.  That would just be very difficult, IMO.  Take care and good luck with the work and family!

16 minutes ago, BrianVT said:

Another golf forum?  I just said I can't see myself chatting about golf.  I'm not looking for a golf forum.  I wanted to test a product and leave a review.  I think what he's leaving out here is that he needs a lot of activity on the forums for ad revenue and other similar targets for the platform, which give him the ability to "receive hundreds of thousands of dollars of product."  He's not actually looking for trust or proof of good writing, and that's all good and fine.  Probably just needs to layout that there's some type of quota before you can be selected because of internal targets.

But doing a review on here is chatting about golf.  It is typically a 6ish+ week assignment where you provide info, answer questions,  post photos,  create videos, and report on progress.  Basically you chat about golf so it isn't get product, write a paper, disappear.   

Sure, there is a financial benefit to MyGolfSpy based on ad revenue.   I am sure that happens on the non golf forums you view as well. 

Obviously you don't agree with the process and that's fine; not everyone does.  maybe when you have more free time you can spend a little more time on the forum and chat.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

39 minutes ago, BrianVT said:

Where did I or any other staff member say anything about ad revenue?  

You can try to make me out to be a bad guy or twist this into whatever you’d like but this system has proven to work.  As mentioned above a review is a 4-6 week(sometimes longer) responsibility for a member to use the equipment and talk about it before giving the final review. 

While you are correct not everyone can write a good paper, but that good paper that is written doesn’t tell us anything other than that person can write a paper.  Again you are missing the point of posts being a tiny requirement.  

Im sorry you don’t care for how we do things.   All we can do is be upfront with how we chose testers and that it isn’t just some contest or whatever word anyone wants to use.  

We have a responsibility to the OEMs to make sure that the equipment they provide for a review is in fact reviewed. This has nothing to do with advertising or even money. My comment about the amount of $ in equipment was meant to provide some context on why we do it this way. We expect the same effort for a ball review as we do an iron set review. 

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

2 minutes ago, BrianVT said:

You didn't.  Relax bud, all is good.

Ok then. Don’t look now but you are chatting on a golf forum😉

Edit: Just trying to show I can joke around too. Wasn’t trying to come off as an a$$. 

54 minutes ago, cnosil said:

But doing a review on here is chatting about golf.  It is typically a 6ish+ week assignment where you provide info, answer questions,  post photos,  create videos, and report on progress.  Basically you chat about golf so it isn't get product, write a paper, disappear.   

Yeah, I got that, and that would be fun and I'd put a lot of effort into it.  I was talking about all of the chatting and "on your own" types of reviews you need to do beforehand, before you get do do that real/official one.

There isn’t a necessity to do an “on your own” review before you are selected. I am currently in the middle of my first ever review on the site but before that I was just involved in the site. All that entailed was getting involved in some of the discussions that arise here. Whether that be about equipment, what you’re looking to buy, or just how your day has been. It doesn’t involve been totally engrossed in the site but just the odd 10 minutes of free time looking at posts that interest you and commenting.  
Ultimately we are all here because we like golf and it is an outlet for us to discuss that, as well as being part of a like minded community. The mods are not looking for someone to devote all of their free time to the site, just those that can show they are regularly involved in it and are willing to demonstrate that they are able to fulfil the criteria for a testing opportunity. It’s totally understandable that not everyone has the time, or the inclination, to commit to what is required for a test/review and that is why the mods are quite clear on what is required. 
Hopefully you’ll stick around and see what the site is about, and enjoy it

Edited by Northern Monkey

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik  4-AW,

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws MD5 50 and 56 wedges

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

IMG_5085.jpeg

2 hours ago, Northern Monkey said:

There isn’t a necessity to do an “on your own” review before you are selected. I am currently in the middle of my first ever review on the site but before that I was just involved in the site. All that entailed was getting involved in some of the discussions that arise here. Whether that be about equipment, what you’re looking to buy, or just how your day has been. It doesn’t involve been totally engrossed in the site but just the odd 10 minutes of free time looking at posts that interest you and commenting.  
Ultimately we are all here because we like golf and it is an outlet for us to discuss that, as well as being part of a like minded community. The mods are not looking for someone to devote all of their free time to the site, just those that can show they are regularly involved in it and are willing to demonstrate that they are able to fulfil the criteria for a testing opportunity. It’s totally understandable that not everyone has the time, or the inclination, to commit to what is required for a test/review and that is why the mods are quite clear on what is required. 
Hopefully you’ll stick around and see what the site is about, and enjoy it

Awesome, man!  Glad it worked out for you.

Well, everyone, like I said, gotta let this one go.  Thanks for the (non-golf) chat.  I'm glad I could temporarily contribute to the traffic.  Seems like a great community.  The next "TESTERS NEEDED" tweet I see from MGS, I'll just scroll on by.  Lesson learned.  Take care!

On 4/21/2024 at 12:26 PM, JCole said:

Question do you think when you enter the chance to be a tester you have a chance at actually being picked? I will say I don’t believe I will ever be picked, I enter just for the **** of it. But never expect to be picked. What are your thoughts.

I see you just joined in March of this year, you have an equal chance of being a tester as someone that's been around for years, that being said, you have to apply yourself in a few forum threads, make some posts engage others and enjoy the site re-read the How to be a tester guide. The MGS MODS take everything into consideration, doesn't matter how old you are, handicap, how long you've been playing, ETC.

They have certain metrics to met with the manufactures to provide the most accurate tests and feedback, as testers we put in a lot of time and energy to complete, post, follow-up and engage with any and all members of MGS. So when you say that you will never be selected, I highly disagree! It may take a little time, but the time will come when it is your chance.

Hope you stay with MGS, it's an exceptional platform for information, friendships, and engaging conversations on any topic with nothing but honest responses and even some joking around.

ALL MGS members are AWESOME from the Top dog all the way down to little ole me. . what they say on the PGA TOUT... THESE GUYS/LADIES are GOOD!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

Guess my previous response was "too harsh".

Point blank, whining wont help your case.

I got picked after only being on here 4 months.

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

It is possible to close an account?  LOL.  Sorry, couldn't figure out how to do it in the settings.  I did try searching the forum and also sent message to the mod this morning.  Just would rather not have too many things floating around on the internet that I don't use.  Thanks in advance if anyone knows how to!

6 hours ago, skraeling said:

Guess my previous response was "too harsh".

Point blank, whining wont help your case.

I got picked after only being on here 4 months.

Ping v2 raptor driver

ray cook sr900 putter