HAYWOOD DRIVER | Unofficial Review and Test

I love the look of the Haywood Driver and will one day get my hands on one.

Thanks for sharing do far and I will be eagerly following along!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

As far as aesthetics goes, I do like the look of the Haywood. Kind of reminds me of a PXG look or the Cobra Darkspeed. Nice work on the initial review and congratulations on winning the club! 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

Fantastic ongoing review! (Unofficially,  of course. 😆)

Can you adjust the loft and lie of the club or just the one asjustment?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

7 hours ago, FallenSaber said:

As far as aesthetics goes, I do like the look of the Haywood. Kind of reminds me of a PXG look or the Cobra Darkspeed. Nice work on the initial review and congratulations on winning the club! 

Was just about to point out the same thing on the crown - looks just like a Darkspeed.  Great review @LeakyValve!!!

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the kind words. Getting real excited to hammer this thing. 

I hadn't even thought about the dark speed but looking at pictures it's real close

Edited by LeakyValve

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

Posted (edited)

@Rob Person the hozel will go up or down .75 and 1.5 degrees. And upright 4*. I'll have to do a bit more digging to see what else it can do 

** I just checked on theit site. On the driver spec tab, the only things mentioned are the lofts going up or down and the lie going up 4*

Edited by LeakyValve

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

Club looks good - only negative is that it and you are on the wrong side of the ball! 🙂

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

9 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

And upright 4*.

4 degrees lie angle adjustment?? That seems huge on a driver!

But great start, really interesting read 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Posted (edited)

@cksurfdude I think so too. To compare to the Mizuno sleeve. I think the Haywood would do something similar. Though they only post as it going 4 upright 

ST-Z-Adaptability-9_5.png.a0d39be7f98b18680fdf4fa5af329349.png

Edited by LeakyValve

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

4 degrees lie angle adjustment?? That seems huge on a driver!

But great start, really interesting read 👍

Happy to share additional details on this:

Most OEM's have multiple settings, as the lofts change, so do the lie angles (usually 0.25/0.75º)

As an example, if you look at the TM spec chart, their upright is also 4º and will show the lie angle changing at all various settings.

Edited by haywoodgolf

Official account of Haywood Golf

Little cool this evening running around 10* C. Wind was pushing a bit to. Only played 9 and was only able to hit driver 3 times. I know, weird, but alot of the holes on the course I played are dog legs where I can comfortably play a long iron to inside 150 from the back tees. Played with a Bridgestone Tour X B or BX or whatever it is. 

First hole I hit driver, was hole 3. Long-ish par 4 that is wide open on the left side where it bends. You can be aggressive and rip away at the lone tree on the left side. A big shot left will have you digging in the fescue, especially when it grows in. And to the right it's the same on the hills. I was only nervous to hit the shot since I didn't want to go ob. Needless to say. I got all of it. Wind was pushing hard left to right and I hit it a bit low and in the heel. It was trying to fade but I believe the wind held it a bit. 

Screenshot_20240503_205255_ShotScope.jpg.28279664d3c4d78af03627e88ba50ae3.jpg

My god. The sound. It's unreal

Next chance to hit driver was a long par 5. Dog legs left then right. Usually I play the hole as long as I can straight to take my second shot from the rough. This usually leaves me a mid iron into this green. Keeping in mind I'm usually playing a tee box up. I got harassed when I played from the blues last time.... This hole I ended up hitting 2. One was my typical big ballooning slice. Which landed further left than on the picture but I think roughly the same distance.  Amplified by the right to left wind and it was gonzo. But still super solid contact feeling. Sound was incredible. And I think without the wind it would have held a bit better. Second shot was a stock fade that comes out. Wind pushed it left more than a would have liked. Didn't fly as far but I'm not complaining. 

Screenshot_20240503_205349_ShotScope.jpg.3bcf3bf28a301852a311e3f6d5ded6a3.jpg

Last was a straight up par 4. Trouble left with big trees that are between OB and the fairway. Making a miss left double bad as it's tough to clear the suckers if you're there. I figured the ball would cut a bit since it was doing that for the other ones and played for it. The wind behind me didn't help my cause as it pushed it a bit more left than I would have liked. Had the tree not stopped it, the ball would have been gone forever. But also gone deeper than it shows.

Screenshot_20240503_205341_ShotScope.jpg.3b6786aed5163d73acd987f60053c56c.jpg

I cannot wait to get back to the course to play more. I'm excited to pull driver. 

Now I will admit. I fully believe that the shaft is making a bit of a difference in terms of misses. This proved true indoors especially with the lower heel and toe hits. It feels like the face still stayed square. However. The Haywood still is the point of contact. And even with the lower heel hits. The ball still rockets away. Compared to the Mizuno when I get that kind of contact it feels a bit flat. Or dull. Mute maybe?  However you can think of it, it's not solid. 

So far the driver is holding its own against my wants from a big stick. Might have to stick it in the hands of a few friends to see if it's any better than their "Big 4" drivers.