What is the best way to golf with a 1 year old?

In September, my wife will be returning to work from her Maternity leave and i took a month off to look after my 1 year old daughter as we are waiting on childcare. My immediate thought was, how can I take her golfing with me?  

My current game plan is to put her in a stroller, load up a diaper bag, and have a net around the stroller for safety. (Luckily, my course doesn’t have a lot of “fore” holes). For myself I am going to pick up an ultralight carry bag and walk as many holes as my daughter lets me 

Is this the best way to go about it ?
I would love to hear what other parents have done, how it went, what worked and what didn’t.

TaylorMade P790s (4-PW), Callaway EPIC- LS driver, 3W/5W Cobra Radspeeds, TaylorMade SLDR hybrid Vokey Sm9 wedges (52,56,60), LAB B2 putter - ProV1s 

Stay home. Play with her. Enjoy your time being interactive with her and bonding because it goes by WAY too fast.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

2 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Negative Attack Angle  I just saw this on a random video. Seems like a really clever idea that might work for you.  

check out kidcaddiegolf.com

I saw that on instagram, I thought I was cool but a bit gimmicky.  Curious if anyone actually bought one of these 

TaylorMade P790s (4-PW), Callaway EPIC- LS driver, 3W/5W Cobra Radspeeds, TaylorMade SLDR hybrid Vokey Sm9 wedges (52,56,60), LAB B2 putter - ProV1s 

Kid caddie was tested on here last year you could give that a read to see if it’s something you want to do. 

I played last summer with my then 9 month old daughter and did exactly what you described. I carried my full bag and loaded her up with all the toys and necessities in her stroller. One day I played a full 9 plus a couple holes and another day she only wanted to get 5.5 holes in before we booked it back to the truck. For safety reasons I went at very off times to avoid potential unsafe situations but I still got a lot of head turns and words of encouragement which I thought was funny  

One thing I recommend is similar to what @russtopherb said but in a different way, make it interesting and interactive for them. While it’s nice that you get out to play, it’s more about spending time with them and introducing them to a game/hobby you love. Try to not make that a negative for them. 

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes!

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S (currently Testing AI Smoke🔹🔹🔹)

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

2024 Skytrak+ Official Forum Test

9 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Stay home. Play with her. Enjoy your time being interactive with her and bonding because it goes by WAY too fast.

I dont disagree with you one bit especially the it going fast part.  However, we gotta go on walks together anyway and there are still naps that need to be had. So why not on the course ? Haha 

36 minutes ago, Negative Attack Angle said:

I saw that on instagram, I thought I was cool but a bit gimmicky.  Curious if anyone actually bought one of these 

@Negative Attack Angle I just dropped your name on the product review that @Swood1994 mentioned 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

3 hours ago, Swood1994 said:

Kid caddie was tested on here last year you could give that a read to see if it’s something you want to do. 

I played last summer with my then 9 month old daughter and did exactly what you described. I carried my full bag and loaded her up with all the toys and necessities in her stroller. One day I played a full 9 plus a couple holes and another day she only wanted to get 5.5 holes in before we booked it back to the truck. For safety reasons I went at very off times to avoid potential unsafe situations but I still got a lot of head turns and words of encouragement which I thought was funny  

One thing I recommend is similar to what @russtopherb said but in a different way, make it interesting and interactive for them. While it’s nice that you get out to play, it’s more about spending time with them and introducing them to a game/hobby you love. Try to not make that a negative for them. 

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes!

Thank you for the response and insight. It is nice to know it can been done. I agree regarding the timing for safety, that is definitely my priority.  I also fully expect to have to bail on a moments notice if she is not into it. 

I really appreciate your recommendation because it helped me reframe the situation.  I need to look at it as spending time, interacting, and bonding with my daughter through golf and not just taking her on the course so I can play.  I am looking forward to trying to make it fun and memorable for the both of us. 

I will definitely keep you posted 

thanks again 

3 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Negative Attack Angle I just dropped your name on the product review that @Swood1994 mentioned 

thank you @Hacker60521 i checked out the website and product review. 

Golfing with a 1-Year-Old: A Challenge, But Possible
Let's be honest: Golfing with a 1-year-old is more about enjoying the fresh air and spending quality time together than it is about improving your handicap.

Here are some tips:

Choose the right time: Early mornings or late afternoons when it's less crowded might be ideal.
Bring essentials: Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, snacks, toys, and a stroller are must-haves.
Keep it short: Aim for a quick nine holes or even just practice on the driving range.
Safety first: Ensure the course is safe for a little one. Be aware of water hazards, golf carts, and other potential dangers.
Embrace the unexpected: A 1-year-old is unpredictable. Be prepared for anything!
Consider a stroller: A stroller can be a lifesaver, especially if your little one needs a nap.
Remember: It's important to prioritize your child's safety and comfort. If you find the experience too stressful, consider leaving them at home with a sitter.

On 8/7/2024 at 4:45 AM, Alightmotionsapps said:

Golfing with a 1-Year-Old: A Challenge, But Possible
Let's be honest: Golfing with a 1-year-old is more about enjoying the fresh air and spending quality time together than it is about improving your handicap.

Here are some tips:

Choose the right time: Early mornings or late afternoons when it's less crowded might be ideal.
Bring essentials: Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, snacks, toys, and a stroller are must-haves.
Keep it short: Aim for a quick nine holes or even just practice on the driving range.
Safety first: Ensure the course is safe for a little one. Be aware of water hazards, golf carts, and other potential dangers.
Embrace the unexpected: A 1-year-old is unpredictable. Be prepared for anything!
Consider a stroller: A stroller can be a lifesaver, especially if your little one needs a nap.
Remember: It's important to prioritize your child's safety and comfort. If you find the experience too stressful, consider leaving them at home with a sitter.

I couldn’t have put it better.  I agree will all your points and I’m excited to get out and be with my daughter.  I’ll let you guys know how it goes. 

Sounds like a good plan, Negative Attack Angle! Maybe bring some toys to keep her entertained in the stroller, and some snacks? Also, consider asking the course if they have a junior ranger program - some courses offer activities specifically for kids while parents play. Good luck!

On 8/15/2024 at 6:37 AM, Genesis17 said:

Sounds like a good plan, Negative Attack Angle! Maybe bring some toys to keep her entertained in the stroller, and some snacks? Also, consider asking the course if they have a junior ranger program - some courses offer activities specifically for kids while parents play. Good luck!

O man that’s a killer idea! have a daycare / child minding at the golf course.  Unfortunately, my course definitely doesn’t have that.  Milk, baby snacks, toys, and diapers are all in the bag. I’m rearing to go 

On 8/15/2024 at 6:43 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

Golf with a one-year-old?

I think that even Tiger's dad waited until he was two!

The only way to be better than tiger is to start earlier !

On 8/6/2024 at 12:47 PM, Negative Attack Angle said:

In September, my wife will be returning to work from her Maternity leave and i took a month off to look after my 1 year old daughter as we are waiting on childcare. My immediate thought was, how can I take her golfing with me?  

My current game plan is to put her in a stroller, load up a diaper bag, and have a net around the stroller for safety. (Luckily, my course doesn’t have a lot of “fore” holes). For myself I am going to pick up an ultralight carry bag and walk as many holes as my daughter lets me 

Is this the best way to go about it ?
I would love to hear what other parents have done, how it went, what worked and what didn’t.

I started taking my son to the course around that age as well. The carry bag and stroller is the easier part of the entire process. I will say, a jogging stroller was such a better choice for it that just a regular stroller (we have a Nuna, which is great for most things, but can be cumbersome when it comes to walking along fairways and rough). Snacks, snacks, and more snacks will be your saving grace. I know you get it, because there are days where you’ll get 5 holes in before they tap out. But the days when you can get 9 or even 18 in feel like major wins. My son loves music, so I could keep him happy with that if he started to get fussy, but the biggest thing is knowing when to say enough is enough and the round is over. I would suggest doing some range sessions first to see how it’ll go. I took him to the practice facility a dozen times before we ever stepped foot on the actual course. 

Taylormade Stealth 9 Degree Fujikura Ventus Red 5-S

Titleist TS2 15 Degree Project X Hzrdus Smoke 70g

Titleist TSr1 18 Degree Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75g

Mizuno MP-32 True Temper S400

Titleist Vokey SM8 56, 60 Degree

Ping Anser 2 2024 Release

3 hours ago, Nick_Chilelli said:

I started taking my son to the course around that age as well. The carry bag and stroller is the easier part of the entire process. I will say, a jogging stroller was such a better choice for it that just a regular stroller (we have a Nuna, which is great for most things, but can be cumbersome when it comes to walking along fairways and rough). Snacks, snacks, and more snacks will be your saving grace. I know you get it, because there are days where you’ll get 5 holes in before they tap out. But the days when you can get 9 or even 18 in feel like major wins. My son loves music, so I could keep him happy with that if he started to get fussy, but the biggest thing is knowing when to say enough is enough and the round is over. I would suggest doing some range sessions first to see how it’ll go. I took him to the practice facility a dozen times before we ever stepped foot on the actual course. 

Really well put, we did a trial run on Monday my wife and I took my daughter for a nice 9 holes. We got a cart and basically played hot potato with her while the other person hit the ball. My daughter did great, was happy the whole way through and was crawling on the greens. Great first step. 

IMG_7401.jpeg

11 hours ago, Negative Attack Angle said:

Really well put, we did a trial run on Monday my wife and I took my daughter for a nice 9 holes. We got a cart and basically played hot potato with her while the other person hit the ball. My daughter did great, was happy the whole way through and was crawling on the greens. Great first step. 

IMG_7401.jpeg

Love it man! You’re gonna have to get some clubs in her hand soon!

https://www.buyimmi.com/product/lil-caddie-child-positioner-for-golf-carts/

@Negative Attack Angle I bought this for my son when he got big enough, and it is perfect for a quick 9 in a cart as well. Definitely something to keep in mind for when she’s a little older!

On 8/22/2024 at 7:34 AM, Nick_Chilelli said:

https://www.buyimmi.com/product/lil-caddie-child-positioner-for-golf-carts/

@Negative Attack Angle I bought this for my son when he got big enough, and it is perfect for a quick 9 in a cart as well. Definitely something to keep in mind for when she’s a little older!

This is actually cool because I was talking to my wife about wanting a kids cart seat that could be harnessed to the cart. This looks like the best option. 

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update,

I bought a carry bag, the PING hoofer 14way, (Great carry bag, I might do a review) . Strapped my daughter into the stroller and finished my 3rd 9 hole round with her today. Everything has gone fairly smooth in large part to my daughter being pretty chill. However,  The key to success is timing a nap as you start the round. I like to get to the course early, and give her a bottle. That usually gets her to think about a nap. Today by hole 4 she was out and she woke up as I tee’d off of 9. Big thank you to extra milk, soothers, snacks, and clean golf balls. 

I was not expecting as getting as much attention as I did from other golfers.  All the ladies were coming up and asking about my daughter, and lots of guys were giving the “good for you”. I had one older gentleman say he has never seen that in 50 years of playing golf. Lots of really great reactions. 

Overall I had a great experience and hope to get out a couple more times before the snow flies here.  

IMG_7626.jpeg.82e339e835d35cb71f75d3449ed60215.jpegIMG_7629.jpeg.9ec85dda12155234ee02c4cb38a46275.jpegIMG_7605.jpeg.00d880bb55ddc7fb49345d24aa917488.jpegIMG_7600.jpeg.657509ed4450bd7090ca0a815151895f.jpeg