Mizuno2

New Fairway wood and shaft ideas?

Our Sponsors

I need or should say want a new fairway wood and shaft combo. My current fairway wood is an Adams Tight Lies 16* with fubuki tour 73 xflex. I am looking at replacing it with something more for off the tee and maybe add a 5 wood for the fairway.

I am also curious as to everyone's opinion as too having the same shaft for the driver as the fairway woods but just maybe different weight?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

Fairway wood for primarily off the tee? Would be hard to beat the Tour Edge Exotics line. You can can probably find the e8 Beta for a steal right now. Used to have it, but the M2 beat it out off the tee and off the deck. M2 is still $250 while you can probably snag the e8 Beta for half that.

Shafts can definitely be the same, but the normal way of thinking is you'd want your fairway wood shafts to be a little heavier than your driver shaft (about 10 grams)

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* LST VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

I just gave up my SLDR 3 wood for an m1 5 wood. I hit the SLDR 3 wood too far (265 - with roll) compared to the Driver (278 - with roll) and the courses I normally play. It was a low spin beast! Paired with a Diamana S+ 70. I also play a diamana S+ 60 in my driver. The SLDR just isn't as forgiving as the M1 and the 5 wood is great off the deck and the tee. Now I finally have a 235 club! Hope this helps.

You and me and the devil makes three...

TM 2017 M2 9.5 | Fuji Atmos Black TS 6S
TM 2016 M1 19* Diamana S+ 70S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-Gw PX LZ 5.5 2 Flat
Cleveland RTX3 52, 56, 60 TT S400 2 Flat
Evnroll ER2 34"

I have a Ping Anser with a speeder 757 x flex set at 14, and just got a Wilson FG5 with Speeder Evolution Tour Spec xflex. I might just set the Wilson on highest loft and drop the driver for a bit carry 2 3w. Anser is quite a bit longer when set at similar loft.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

My XR is awesome! I have a 70g shaft in my driver and 82 in the fwy. I play the Diamana D+ in X and it's awesome. XR fairways are way cheap right now on Callaway golf preowned.

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

If you keep your Adams 16*, then you can do away with a 5W and add an extra wedge.........what's wrong with the 16* Adams?

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

If you keep your Adams 16*, then you can do away with a 5W and add an extra wedge.........what's wrong with the 16* Adams?

I just want something different just not playing well with it

• Like 1

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

One of the best clubs in my bag the past few years was the Optiforce 5w in the standard pxi 5.5 shaft.   I don't currently have it in the bag now.  But based on the 917 15 degree 3W  I just picked up, if I was going to add a 5w again, I'd strongly look at the 917 5W

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Recommended by fellow spies here: X2Hot Deep (easier off the tee than off the deck, but still manageable). Stock Aldila Tour Green 75 worked great for me and I play a Fubuki alpha 65 in my driver.

Brought my spin down and it's my 230-240 yard club now.

I had the Tight Lies as well and it robbed me off distance (launching too high with too much spin).

GBB, XR Pro, M2, XTD so many choices for a 5W... I'm also looking for something that doesn't break the bank :D

EDIT: I used to dislike Callaway so much and now have so much of their stuff in my bag :P

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If you like the feel of the shaft, then there wouldn't be any reason why you couldn't use the same shaft in the 5W.  You may need to get a heavier shaft since it's going to be shorter going into a 5W.  Get fitted by a good fitter if possible.  As for recommendations on a 5W in no particular order,  M1/M2, Titleist 917, and the Callaway Big Bertha Fusion would all be good candidates.  It just depends on what your looking for in a 5W. 

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Try the Cobra Baffler....it's a 4W-5W with rails on the bottom.  Very easy to hit off the deck and the launch is high.  

f6-baff-fwy-hero.jpgf6-baff-fwy-address.jpgf6-baff-fwy-toe.jpgf6-baff-fwy-face.jpg

http://www.cobragolf.com/king-f6-baffler-fairway

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I can tell you I have the Callaway XR16 3W/5W and they are rocket ships. Both are shafted with the HZRDOUS Red shafts which while they are in the same line as my driver (I play HZRDOUS Yellow) they're not the same. From what I was told by a professional is that it usually doesn't make sense to play the same shaft in your fairway as your driver. But it all just depends on the golfer.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I can tell you I have the Callaway XR16 3W/5W and they are rocket ships. Both are shafted with the HZRDOUS Red shafts which while they are in the same line as my driver (I play HZRDOUS Yellow) they're not the same. From what I was told by a professional is that it usually doesn't make sense to play the same shaft in your fairway as your driver. But it all just depends on the golfer.

+1 on the XR. Just picked one up with a Tour Issue Matrix RUL and it is a beast. Two swings and my beloved 3 Deep was on the bench.

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

They really are just a kickass fairway wood.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

If you're looking for an option off the tee then maybe a mini driver or stronger 3 wood would work well for you. The Callaway Mini 1.5 is solid. Until recently I was using a Bridgestone J15 3+ wood and it's a beast off the tee. However I ended up switching to the M2 3 wood as it's just as long and it a little easier off the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Orange that if you are looking for a primary tee option, the big Bertha mini 1.5 is great. Don't lose much off the tee, but very hard to hit off the deck. Use it on courses that require more control.

I agree with everyone on there opinions of the callaway woods. They have really stepped up there game since the xhot. I used to have an xhot pro with an aerotech driver shaft and I loved it. I regret getting rid of it.