Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

First Tournament Stories

JohnSmalls

We all have our first tournament story. Some good, some bad, some legendary but none the same---so let's hear them. What happened in your first tournament??

A little background first: I played enough golf as a kid to know which end of the club to hold and that's about it. Subsequently I played maybe 2-3 rounds a year thereafter. Back in February I legitimately enjoyed my first round of golf ever---the bug bit and now I love (almost) everything about golf.

Fast forward: I felt my game was consistent enough for public consumption and convinced myself that I was ready to play in the club championship at my home course.

The day started off early---I'm buzzing to get out for some prematch practice. Bag of balls goes well for me, got the fairway woods working, irons in check, and putter was humming. Finish the first hole with a usual double--all things are gearing up for a normal round. Second tee, duck hook, shank, duff, and then a 3 putt. The rest of the day was a 4.5 hour nightmare of OB--lost balls, one par (thank goodness), and shooting 13 strokes over my worst score ever. Many four letter words substituted for the word golf on Saturday. I have never been so embarrassed and anxious to finish a round in my life.

And now I can't wait to get back on the course--funny game we play isn't it?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

In my first tournament, I missed a bunch of short putts the first 2 days but still found myself within striking distance for the final round. I wasn't hitting the ball as well but scrapped together some nice saves to keep it close. On 16, I blasted a shot out of the mud to save double and was actually feeling good about it. On 17 I knew I needed something good and..... long story short...... took a 17.

Fell down to the middle of the pack and couldn't get off the course fast enough. At least they had free beer at the finish!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

In my first tournament, I missed a bunch of short putts the first 2 days but still found myself within striking distance for the final round. I wasn't hitting the ball as well but scrapped together some nice saves to keep it close. On 16, I blasted a shot out of the mud to save double and was actually feeling good about it. On 17 I knew I needed something good and..... long story short...... took a 17.

Fell down to the middle of the pack and couldn't get off the course fast enough. At least they had free beer at the finish!

Free beer would have been icing on the cake for me...but we had to buy it

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

When I was 10, my teacher at the time thought it was a good idea to sign me up for the bobby bowers tournament in Springfield VA, and he caddied for me.  This was in the 10-13 year old division.  I topped my first drive, made a 10, finished last, shot 122, and had a blast.  I think the cut to make it to match play was 82.  There was a rain delay, and since my group was the last group (they send kids out in order of their estimated handicap you put on the entry form), we played until it was pitch black at almost 10:00 at night.  My dad told me later that the only reason they didn't stopped us for darkness was because none of us were anywhere near the cutline.  2 or 3 years later I shot 76 in that same tournament and made a decent run at it in match play. 

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Great thread and story.

My first big tournament was a qualifier for the New York State Am in the summer of 1978. Pretty stupid of me. I didn't have the game to be in that crowd at that time.

I don't remember what I shot but it was in the 80's. The guys that I was paired with both played DI golf at the time and could bomb it (persimmon wood bomb it). I didn't totally embarrass myself but I had a couple of moments. I had a brain fart on a par 3 where I needed a 6 iron and took 8 because that's what they did. I hit 6 iron in my practice rounds. Found fescue that was so high it took six of us to find. I told my caddy to stay with my ball but he came with me and we almost lost the stupid ball again.

I also topped my drive on 10 after the group ahead of us told us they were backed up because some guy ahead of them waited forever and then knocked it on the green in 2. The guy was a college kid named Joey Sindelar. He shot a 66.

After the round we sat around, drank beer by the pitcher and watched the US Open. Too bad because one of my playing partners ended up in a big playoff for the last spot. I don't think he made it. :)

My next tournament was the Ithaca City. I shot a 74 and qualified for the Championship flight. I got knocked out in the quarter finals but that was much more my level. Club/city type championships - local money games with the good players in town was always the right sized competition level for my game. I could hold my own, win some, lose some but always be in it.

I did try to qualify for the Senior US Open when I turned 50 and Senior AM when I turned 55. I had the handicap index and wanted to give a USGA event a try. The Senior Open qualifier was a hoot because there were former tour guys at it. I played well for that but didn't come close. Shot 77 and didn't slow my fellow competitors down, in fact beat one, on Southern Hills playing at 6800. 74 made it to Whistling Straits.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great thread and story.

My first big tournament was a qualifier for the New York State Am in the summer of 1978. Pretty stupid of me. I didn't have the game to be in that crowd at that time.

I don't remember what I shot but it was in the 80's. The guys that I was paired with both played DI golf at the time and could bomb it (persimmon wood bomb it). I didn't totally embarrass myself but I had a couple of moments. I had a brain fart on a par 3 where I needed a 6 iron and took 8 because that's what they did. I hit 6 iron in my practice rounds. Found fescue that was so high it took six of us to find. I told my caddy to stay with my ball but he came with me and we almost lost the stupid ball again.

I also topped my drive on 10 after the group ahead of us told us they were backed up because some guy ahead of them waited forever and then knocked it on the green in 2. The guy was a college kid named Joey Sindelar. He shot a 66.

After the round we sat around, drank beer by the pitcher and watched the US Open. Too bad because one of my playing partners ended up in a big playoff for the last spot. I don't think he made it. :)

My next tournament was the Ithaca City. I shot a 74 and qualified for the Championship flight. I got knocked out in the quarter finals but that was much more my level. Club/city type championships - local money games with the good players in town was always the right sized competition level for my game. I could hold my own, win some, lose some but always be in it.

I did try to qualify for the Senior US Open when I turned 50 and Senior AM when I turned 55. I had the handicap index and wanted to give a USGA event a try. The Senior Open qualifier was a hoot because there were former tour guys at it. I played well for that but didn't come close. Shot 77 and didn't slow my fellow competitors down, in fact beat one, on Southern Hills playing at 6800. 74 made it to Whistling Straits.

Great stories! Did you notice any big difference in course setup with the USGA events?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

My 1st real tournament if you cal it that.. Was about 12 years ago. league championship, we take it on the road go play 1 good course and 1 ok course.. We leave seattle area heading to Eastern Washington Friday afternoon, Better weather, Tourney is Sat afternoon Sun morning. 

Get checked into hotel, and the phone calls start. Everyone else is just finishing up a practice round and going to dinner. we head over to meet up 3 hours later and lots of drinks. we head back to hotel, and do our best to finish the case of Coronas, and half Gallon of Crown Royal. we were all staying in same hotel.. 

Was so hung over on sat that i had a hard time playing, finished dead last in my group. So did one of the other guys i was enjoying the evening with... so Sun we go out in the 1st group and have a blast, played great but more importantly enjoyed my day. finished like crap but didn't care.. 

3 years later won the lower division and 2 years after that won the top division.. Learned NOT to drink as much the night before a tourney... LOL

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

First tournament was Colorado match play last chance qualifier (lowest 2 in stroke play went on to match play).  I was 32 at the time and I was just trying to get out and see competition, learn how tourneys were played etc.  I didn't have any expectations whatsoever.  Pure donation to the CGA.  Was paired with 3 others, two slightly older than me, and the last a young gun that played on a DII championship golf team in west texas.  All were very good sticks.  

cliff notes version: young gun was dang good, ended up shooting the lowest and qualifying for the Match play championship tourney.  The two older gentlemen struggled here and there.  

Surprisingly after 11, I was even.  I was playing some of the best golf ever.  During the round there was hardly any conversing, it was all business.  To lighten the mood, around the turn, I was asking general questions about golf, tournaments played, etc.  One older guy was not in the mood to talk.  On hole 11, I remember this well as you will see why, I asked "How do they pair us together?".  Specifically how did they pair us for this qualifier...thinking handicap or something (now I realize it was random.).  The older guy immediately turned to me and said "You mean you are too good to be playing with us!?".  I was taken back, not my intent whatsoever and I felt REALLY bad he took it that way.  I was toast after.  Proceeded to shoot 11 over the next 7 holes.  DONE! Couldn't wait to hit my final putt, sign my card and GTHO of there.  Next time I will keep my trap shut.  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

So, my first tournament was more of an accident than anything else. It has the high school league year-end tournament and my school was hosting. I was on JV as an 8th Grader and we weren't supposed to be there that day. I had shown up just to practice on the back nine as we were allowed to but no one else was interested in going and it made sense. However, opportunity knocked with the 6th guy from the varsity team didn't show up and as the only other golfer there from my school, they asked me if I would play. I was a 6 play, 5 count situation, very NCAA of them.

Being also a sacrificial lamb, I got the play with the lead group, including a young man by the name of David May. He would go on to win the ACC title playing for Clemson in 2009. No surprise he also won our tournament posting 3 under. I was super nervous and had never played the front nine of our home course before. I hacked it around in 47 (+10). The only highlight was of my round was on our sixth hole, a short par 4 with water in front, from 85 yards I nearly jarred and I'll always remember what David said to me walking up to the green, "Those kick in birdies are my favorite type."

Also, to my surprise my score ended up counting for the tournament as our 5th best. We finished middle of the pack but it was an awesome experience.

My first non-school tournament was a Syracuse youth amateur event. I had the lead until the last three holes where I came back in +5 to lose by 2. That was a sad day and started my mental block period of important golf events (sectional tournaments, league events, college walk-on tryouts) and not getting over it until a few years ago when I closed out our club championship.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

All awesome stories guys!  As a follow up, what did you look for in your next tournament?  Did you go straight to a stroke play event or did you move to a captains choice event?

Gameday

Classic Bag

First tournament was actually a few weeks ago in club championships. I've golfed for a long time as a kid and it's only been the last few years that I've really gotten into playing/improving and keeping a handicap.

So I hadn't swung a club in the week leading up to clubs because I was away working. My expectations weren't too high even though I felt I could piece together a good round and have a shot at it. Started off very well only 2 over through 6 holes and well then everything fell apart. I silly decision off the tee, rain started coming down and having not looked at the forecast I didn't have rain gloves or anything so I lost all confidence in my swing and really be able to attack because I didn't feel I could put a good strike on the ball. Ended up with my worst round of the season at 96.

Day two! Knowing I was out and still had some good holes the previous day I really wanted to piece together a proper round and thankfully with some luck and a few made outs for around to 79.

I couldn't help but laugh afterwards, I had so much fun and despite having a awful first day knowing it just wasn't my day I still thoroughly enjoyed my time and will certainly bring what I learned into future tournaments.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The first real tournament I ever played in was the World Am in Myrtle Beach.  I was about a 15 handicap at the time, but I was nervous as hell on that first tee.  When it was my turn to start, I topped it about 15 yards right down the middle.  I knew then it was going to be a long day and I think I shot somewhere around 110.  I still get a little nervous for tournaments after probably 15 years of playing in them, but I know how to control it now and it doesn't bother me anywhere near as bad as it did then. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

All awesome stories guys!  As a follow up, what did you look for in your next tournament?  Did you go straight to a stroke play event or did you move to a captains choice event?

I stuck with stroke play and even dropped 13 shots from my first tournament to my second tournament...although I still only shot 109 the second time around.  

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Great stories! Did you notice any big difference in course setup with the USGA events?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Other than the length not really. These were senior events. The USGA specifies 6,800 yards at Sea level for the Senior Open and 6,500 at Sea level for the Senior Am. The rough is tough at any event in Florida in the summer. Both of the courses that I played have generous fairways though. The greens were fast but I'm more than used to that.

My club's course is tougher than these courses any day. Southern Hills is typical Pete Dye. I love Pete Dye courses and Dunedin is a Donald Ross course. Enough said there.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My first competitive round with a real handicap was a club "Monthly Medal" I was playing off 25, after not going under 100 in the three rounds to get my handicap. My first scoring round for handicap I remember well, 102 with a 60/42 split.

I missed winning the medal by a shot after shooting a 91/66. I also just missed getting strung up from the nearest tree, as Monthly Medals are taken pretty seriously, and bushrangers aren't appreciated!

Handicap dropped 8 shots in about 5 rounds at the start. It took me 22 years to finally win a medal.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Wow...where to start. My first tournament was at 13 in jr. High. I s*** 143 133 to win the tournament. Of course, i was hooked. That was in 1971.

Ive played many tournaments in many formats since then. My favorite win was a two man 6,6,6 tornament where we won by six strikes and I had full blown gout and couldnt stand on my right foot.

Currently I play GC Am Tour and my first tournament there was like the first ever. I was sooooo nervous i was hyperventilating, hit many bad shots and was unimpressive. (Still am for that matter).

Finished in the middle of yhe pack this season (first full season) but have dedicated myself to qualifying for Nationals next year (i've got to improve to do so). But the continual personal challenge is invigorating and keeps the game fresh and exciting even having played it now for 45 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

@JD

I'd like to know more about the GC Am Tour.

Do they use handicaps?

How much travel is involved?

What's the cost?

How stiff is the competition?

GC An Tour is age and handicap based, usually in 4 point ranges. For example, Hogan is 8 - 11.9, Sarazen is 12 - 15.9. Seniors in each division.

Travel depends on whete you live. There are state and regional "groups". I'm in the Houston TX group, but there is also a Dallas, Hill Country, etc. You can check the website to determine if theres a semi-local group. You can always travel and play with any other group in any other locale. So, you decide in most cases your travel budget.

Ive played with guys who come to Texas in Feb and March from northern states. They love it.

Cost is $199 a year for membership. Tournament costs vary but range from $120 - 150 for single day tournaments. Major, multiple day tournaments are around $400.

Before you blow it off, many times this is for high quality tracts. For example, we play Redstone, ex-home of the Shell Houston Open for abour $150. Daily fees are $250.

Top places pay gift cards depending upon number of entries, usually 3-5 spots.

For me, most importantly, is the competition. These guys for the most part can play! There's no mulligans, no ball bumping. We play the rules which has helped me be a better golfer.

PM me for more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 1 year later...

Let's get this old post humming again.  Share your tournament nightmares for a good Christmas season laugh!

Gameday

Classic Bag

Let's get this old post humming again.  Share your tournament nightmares for a good Christmas season laugh!

So not me personally but a teammate 2 years ago. It was the biggest tournament at our Club (50th anniversary of this club), on a par 3 hole over the water. My teammate hit several successive balls into the water and had to take a 17 for the hole. FYI he normally shoots in the high 90's.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Boy this a blast from the past....

Honestly, I can only vaguely remember it. I was about 10-11 I think. It was 18 holes stroke play (pretty sure) and me and my buddy had some kind of old el cheapo blades and wooden drivers, etc. But that was my first tournament.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

13 years old, a nine hole ntpga jr event at Hank Haney’s place in the Dfw area in mid July if I remember right, sure was hot enough to be at least. Got into the parking lot and couldn’t help but shiver from being a nervous wreck. Ended up being dead last and almost getting in a shouting match with another kid till both fathers quickly put a stop to it and a got a well deserved talking to among other things lol. I will always remember that as me jumping into competitions waaaaaay before I was ready both physically and mentally. 12 years later I’m feeling a bit better but I’ll still never play that course again lol.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I don't know why I missed this thread last year.

I started golf late in life; 45 I think.  I really stunk it up for awhile.  When I got to where I was a bogey golfer, I played in our club championship. I had just turned 50 so I thought I had a better chance playing with the old guys.  Boy, was I wrong.  Low tournament score was someone over 50.

I actually was doing OK, until I got to the 14th hole.  Short par 4; I was on in two shots about 20 feet for birdie.  Did I mention that putting was not the strongest part of my game?  I 4-putted... missed a tap-in for a 3-putt.  It wasn't my first 4-putt, and it hasn't been my last, but it sure ruined my game for the rest of the round.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived