Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Iron Refinishing

JTexGolfer

Has anyone here used any iron refinishing services? I have seen a place on ebay that refinishes irons and wedges in Black Nitride of Black Chrome, and I am entertaining the thought of sending my Srixon's to them in a couple of months. Not putting their name out there because I don't know them or want this to sound like an ad.

I have loved the look of black wedges and my driver and fairway woods are all black, so I am thinking that I would enjoy my irons being that color as well. Srixon made some black 745's for the Japanese market, but they were $$$$$$$$$$$ and still are if you ever see a set come open.

Srixon-Black-Series-Edition-7.jpg

Any reservations of that Black Nitride or Black Chrome fisish on an iron? The place I saw says that they do the following on the clubs they refinish:

Completely Refinish heads, Check Lie, Loft & Length, Spine align shafts, Set Swing-weight & Install Grips. You get your choice of paint-fill and ferrule color

What do you guys think?

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

TigerNick does some sweet stuff. I'm not sure which finish would last longer, but I'm a fan of the black chrome. Considering all the steps and detail work,

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

TigerNick does some sweet stuff. I'm not sure which finish would last longer, but I'm a fan of the black chrome. Considering all the steps and detail work,

That's who I was looking at. Have you had anything done by them or known any that have?

Looks like a 4 week turnaround which is the only kind of scary thing for me. Sounds very reasonable I just might go crazy without clubs for that long!

I am leaning Black Chrome as well, I think it would more closely match the raw black finish on my SM5's.

WITB 4 2018.JPG

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

That's who I was looking at. Have you had anything done by them or known any that have?

Looks like a 4 week turnaround which is the only kind of scary thing for me. Sounds very reasonable I just might go crazy without clubs for that long!

I am leaning Black Chrome as well, I think it would more closely match the raw black finish on my SM5's.

attachicon.gifWITB 4 2018.JPG

Non personal experience, but with the amount of work they do with making sure they are as precise as possible, in addition to the sweet chrome job, looks awesome.

If you can go without your clubs for that long, have the coin to do it and want to breath some serious new life into them, why not?

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

The Golf Garage will do black DLC coatings on irons.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbm0A51Fkta/

That looks good!

Can't contribute to the iron finishing but... I too bag Rocket Tour headcovers. been my fav for years.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Can't contribute to the iron finishing but... I too bag Rocket Tour headcovers. been my fav for years.

I like mine a lot. The Pom Pom lost some strands and then they just come out in clumps so I “shaved” mine. Have one for a 5 wood too that I'm gonna use as soon as I buy a 5 wood!

Kyle at The Golf Garage does DLC. So does Ross at Tour Quality Golf in Broken Arrow OK. DLC is going to be the most durable option

I know jlukes had a delay in his DLC from The Golf Garage. Ross is a good dude too.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Kyle at The Golf Garage does DLC. So does Ross at Tour Quality Golf in Broken Arrow OK. DLC is going to be the most durable option

I know jlukes had a delay in his DLC from The Golf Garage. Ross is a good dude too.

Thanks! I hadn't seen the Oklahoma guys before so I will cruise over to their site and take a look.

Another set of 965s done by the golf garage

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh9TO7oA-F9/

Those look really good! What finish is that?

• 1 month later...

Does PXG use the DLC finish? I played with a guy who was gaming black PXG irons and they were worn out after a season of play. The Cobra Pro Forged combo irons I played with last year had the black finish that really held up well. I was stunned how good that finish held up after beating range balls on sand-based ranges. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Does PXG use the DLC finish? I played with a guy who was gaming black PXG irons and they were worn out after a season of play. The Cobra Pro Forged combo irons I played with last year had the black finish that really held up well. I was stunned how good that finish held up after beating range balls on sand-based ranges. 

I was always curious as to whether that claim by Cobra was true. Great to hear that they held up so well. I have always loved the look of an all black iron, I had a set of Adams CB1 way back in the day but after a few range sessions they looked horrid. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

So I have finally decided to pull the trigger on this as wife and kiddos are going to let me do this for Father's Day present. Playing in a scramble tomorrow and then disassembling my clubs and shipping them off to Tiger Nick for Black Nitride finish. After a lot of thought and testing I am going to replace the Recoils with Steelfiber 110s. I had shafted a wedge and a 6 iron in those and prefer the feel and distance consistency I am getting with them. I had X flex when I had them before which was too much for me but the S flex has been great.

Gonna put the pulled recoils in a used set of Adams CB1 irons to give me something to use for the 4-5 week wait. 

I will start a new thread to detail the refinish process once I get ready to ship them out!

According to this article https://mygolfspy.com/pxg-dlc-finish/ PXG uses DLC which is extremely hard but still a PVD based process where the material is vaporized and deposited on the surface. Tiger Nick's black chrome is different in that it's an electrodeposited coating where the bring the old club down to bare metal then chemically deposit the chrome-based coating on the surface. This should allow the black chrome to wear more like a traditional chrome coating and less like any of the vapor deposited caotings. Depending on how much you play all coatings will wear down with time though.

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone want to share a rough price estimate to DLC a set of irons? 4-PW? Is it about the same as a new set of irons? And does anyone know of folks who use the DBM finish similar to Cobra instead of the DLC...or is there that much of a difference? 

PM me if you don't want to throw out prices on this thread. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Does anyone want to share a rough price estimate to DLC a set of irons? 4-PW? Is it about the same as a new set of irons? And does anyone know of folks who use the DBM finish similar to Cobra instead of the DLC...or is there that much of a difference? 

PM me if you don't want to throw out prices on this thread. 

As far as I know only Cobra, Hogan and Maltby use DMB. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff PGA Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS (7.5*) - Tensei 1K White 60TX 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour (13.5*) - Kai'li White 90X

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - Accra i110

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 (3iron Head weak to 4iron loft) - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Gap Wedge: image.png.51ba7b90defbd34f4ec9a71328ba8435.png MG4 Black 50.09 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Sand Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG4 Black 55.11 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe 3 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Putter: :taylormade-small: Custom Center Shaft Spider GTX - 33"

Bag:  :taylormade-small: Tour Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X MySymbol

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX10

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Archived