Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Looking for Sand Box loft

First of all, I have not hit into a sand hazard in years; best way to master them is to avoid them!

Today, I was practicing the inevitable with my 56º wedge and hitting out of deeper very soft sand with 5' -8' of the trap before the lip.  I was getting just enough loft to miss dealing with the lip (with the exception to one I buried so far into the sand I simply laughed.). However, I was landing without any bite so I usually ended up with a long runner well past the pin.  I only had one of my 30 practice shots fully runoff the green. 

So, given my advanced duffer status, I should be happy.

Any suggestions on how together better loft in deep soft sand? Or given the success in avoiding traps in general and, with my ability to get out of traps usually in one wack, am I worrying too much?

th-4.jpeg

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Use a 60 degree instead of a 56 and open up the face.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My off topic suggestion would be to go purchase a lottery ticket immediately, because an 18 handicapper who hasn’t had a ball come to rest within a bunker for “years” has to be the luckiest human walking the earth.

Back on topic - without video of your action, none of us can responsibly offer counsel... besides the sage club selection advice @hckymeyer already shared. I use a Yoozon Selfie Stick to capture video of my practice sessions - it’s a very compact design with a built in tripod and Bluetooth remote.

Yoozon.thumb.jpg.879b72dd9a4ec9eda9b2f49e31e1eac9.jpg

Also, assuming potential practice time is finite, why devote resources to practicing a situation you never encounter? 

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

1 hour ago, downlowkey said:

My off topic suggestion would be to go purchase a lottery ticket immediately, because an 18 handicapper who hasn’t had a ball come to rest within a bunker for “years” has to be the luckiest human walking the earth.

Back on topic - without video of your action, none of us can responsibly offer counsel... besides the sage club selection advice @hckymeyer already shared. I use a Yoozon Selfie Stick to capture video of my practice sessions - it’s a very compact design with a built in tripod and Bluetooth remote.

Yoozon.thumb.jpg.879b72dd9a4ec9eda9b2f49e31e1eac9.jpg

Also, assuming potential practice time is finite, why devote resources to practicing a situation you never encounter? 

I have only been back to playing golf for about 20 months, so the "years" includes 2+ decades of not playing, but in 20 months I have not hit any.  Dumb luck, I agree!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I'd wager at least 90% of all sand shots are played to roll out rather than spin. Trying to hit a sand shot with spin is an extremely low percentage shot. 

Unless you're picking it clean out of a firm bunker, you're not going to get any bite. 

YouTube will be your friend or an instructor. There are different techniques used by pros to achieve different results.  TaylorMade just did a video with DJ, Rory and Rahm in bunker shots 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived