Quigleyd

Cobra Speedzone driver

Our Sponsors

4 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I like the way it looks. Do we know if the crown is matte on the white version?

I almost like the more colorful f9, but I’m guessing the stripes will grow on me. Looks like they made some solid improvements on an already awesome driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm almost certain from what I recall the white version has a matte finish. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

This thread kind of had me expecting something much more radical looking than what it is.

That being said, I like the look of it and am definitely interested in giving it a test.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah, I'm sure all the tight lips we had to have may have built up for something radical.  But i must say the infinity face to me is a pretty big dparture from what anyone has done, I know some may say it's just a different way to show alignment, but from what I was told at Cobra by one of the product managers, it also increases ball speed all around the edges of the face, not that we hope to miss out there 🙂

And I as I said earlier, it's probably the first Cobra driver in  few years, that I will actually seek out to demo. 

• Like 1

I'm almost certain from what I recall the white version has a matte finish. 

If true, that could look really slick next to the infinity face.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's basically just a 360° cup face that's more visible to the eye than other brands.

Using the milling lines as part of the aero package is interesting though, but largely irrelevant to anyone not swinging 115+ mph.

Yeah, I'm sure all the tight lips we had to have may have built up for something radical.  But i must say the infinity face to me is a pretty big dparture from what anyone has done, I know some may say it's just a different way to show alignment, but from what I was told at Cobra by one of the product managers, it also increases ball speed all around the edges of the face, not that we hope to miss out there
And I as I said earlier, it's probably the first Cobra driver in  few years, that I will actually seek out to demo. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

On 11/7/2019 at 9:28 AM, Tarheelvolvo said:

...Maybe prices of current gen will drop too 😉

Cobra, but not SpeedZone, related - Budget Golf has F8 drivers on sale for $180 ... caveat tho is only Tensei CK Blue shaft in Regular.

• Like 3

Just read over Tony's article and have to say I'm excited to try out the new driver in January! Only critique would be a photo or two of the crown, especially that matte black action 🤤

Thoughts on the design, MOI characteristics, colorways, weights? What do you guys think??

• Like 2

209346FD-EC3B-4CDD-BBA1-364B1E5C125D.thumb.jpeg.532139389972fd7b46da290755cf87be.jpeg
3AF24629-CADF-4C5C-B56B-24F29957136C.thumb.jpeg.07617eeb688e7e9171f8b85a5594a4ae.jpeg
683680E0-3C81-46E0-AB0C-C78CC8820A4C.thumb.jpeg.72a235dd19a22523c1d06b0336aa227f.jpeg

Rally car vs Showroom car.

The looks are growing on me.

I’m a rally car fan.
  • Like 2

That infinity face doesn't seem wide enough. I think I can still manage a sky mark easily 😄

But love how they give you matte and glossy options.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kanoito said:

That infinity face doesn't seem wide enough. I think I can still manage a sky mark easily 😄

But love how they give you matte and glossy options.

That matte to me is easily the best. 

• Like 3

I am certainly leaning that way if it works for me in testing. Coming from a G30 I’ve been looking at matte finishes for a long time.

I’m looking forward to testing this versus an M5 which is on my list to look for on eBay over the winter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

... I have always played and preferred a gloss black driver head. That said, with the milled wrap around face on the SpeedZone, I also think the matte finish looks better. I give a lot of credit to Cobra for offering both.  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

209346FD-EC3B-4CDD-BBA1-364B1E5C125D.jpeg

3AF24629-CADF-4C5C-B56B-24F29957136C.jpeg

683680E0-3C81-46E0-AB0C-C78CC8820A4C.jpeg

image.png.43f4c87478e5d85c03078c2bde4c9318.png

Thanks for the extra pics @Quigleyd! That matte look is fantastic. Really looking forward to trying this out in a couple months.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

image.png.43f4c87478e5d85c03078c2bde4c9318.png

Thanks for the extra pics @Quigleyd! That matte look is fantastic. Really looking forward to trying this out in a couple months.

Haha. No problem!! Just trying to contribute.

• Like 3

Absolutely love the look of the standard Speedzone with the matte crown 

• Like 1

The logo change on the crown is the cherry on top.  This is a great looking driver at address!

18 hours ago, chisag said:

... I have always played and preferred a gloss black driver head. That said, with the milled wrap around face on the SpeedZone, I also think the matte finish looks better. I give a lot of credit to Cobra for offering both.  

Will you be reviewing the SZ this coming season?

1 minute ago, JohnSmalls said:

Will you be reviewing the SZ this coming season?

... I will be heading out to Phoenix in January and hope to have the driver and fairway wood for review by then. I honestly don't expect much difference when compared to the F9 on center hits but will be very interested in seeing how the Extreme performs on mishits with the fully milled face. I already have the F9 low spin 9* option so I want to give the more forgiving high MOI Extreme an extended review.  

• Like 2

This is a great looking driver. It's definitely a club I'm looking at upgrading and will obviously be a must-try. 

If 2019 was the year of the driver then 2020 looks like it will have some stiff competition. However, since many OEM's are on 18 or 24 month cycles for clubs, there will likely be less competition. I think that will help Cobra as people may be more likely to test it if there are less other options.

• Like 1

Gonna go demo one on the 12th 🙂

I'll post any pics and thoughts if I can!

• Like 5