Sign in to follow this  
Jphill68

Hard draw from shortened shaft

Our Sponsors

I recently broke the shaft on my driver that was 45.5". Bought a replacement at 44.5" because I wanted to pick up a few more fairways. I'm having huge problems with straightening out a massive draw. I've always had a slight draw, but this thing is exaggerated. I've tried everything I could think of... moving the ball back in my stance, more neutral grip, adjusted driver to neutral and hook settings. I'm not sure if the shorter shaft just squares up faster or what. Need some tips. 

If you need it:

Avg carry ~265/270

Swing speed around 113/115

Kuro Kaged Tini 50g Stiff Flex Shaft

Callaway Big Bertha 2014 - adjustable

Couple of threads on shortened drivers. Some people are more sensitive to swingweight changes and if you are one of them,
You may need to add weight to the head to compensate for the shorter shaft. Don’t know if you put in a different grip, but that will also impact SW if the grip doesn’t weigh the same as the original. Assuming same weight and model shaft so that wouldn’t impact.

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Couple of threads on shortened drivers. Some people are more sensitive to swingweight changes and if you are one of them,
You may need to add weight to the head to compensate for the shorter shaft. Don’t know if you put in a different grip, but that will also impact SW if the grip doesn’t weigh the same as the original. Assuming same weight and model shaft so that wouldn’t impact.

This is where I would start. 

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

As others have mentioned, a 1" change in length on a driver is a big deal - not least because of swing weight, but also the effect on flex assuming like for like shafts. The closure rate on the shorter shaft would be faster, so for a square to closing face angle for the previous driver at 45.5" length (giving a moderate draw perhaps) the shorter shaft with a faster closure rate would start to create hooks or pulls for the same swing path. The face angle needs to be considered relative to the loft - lower loft with an open face at address will close to make loft even lower - reducing backspin, which makes it even harder to control. 

As always - I would recommend a fitting to assess your requirements - a 36 handicap with a 115mph swing speed and a sub 55g shaft in stiff flex sounds like a recipe for wayward shots as it is - and could explain the failure of the first shaft.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I had no idea. I thought it was just going to be plug and play. It's not the stock shaft or grip.

Check where your typical strike is too. With the shorter shaft, you may hit them more in the toe causing your hooking ball flight.

• Like 1

:cobra-small:            Cobra F9 10.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

:srixon-small:                     H85 16° and 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

:mizuno-small:                    MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 51°, 8° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 55°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 59°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:yes-small:                         Tracy 33"

:bridgestone-small:      Tour BX

Guest Delete
On 6/4/2020 at 11:53 AM, Jphill68 said:

I recently broke the shaft on my driver that was 45.5". Bought a replacement at 44.5" because I wanted to pick up a few more fairways. I'm having huge problems with straightening out a massive draw. I've always had a slight draw, but this thing is exaggerated. I've tried everything I could think of... moving the ball back in my stance, more neutral grip, adjusted driver to neutral and hook settings. I'm not sure if the shorter shaft just squares up faster or what. Need some tips. 

If you need it:

Avg carry ~265/270

Swing speed around 113/115

Kuro Kaged Tini 50g Stiff Flex Shaft

Callaway Big Bertha 2014 - adjustable

As others have mentioned, shortening makes the club play at a lower swingweight. 

You can have hotmelt added by a club repair tech to bring the swingweight back to stock. 

You can also try lead tape yourself to see if it would help before committing to hotmelt. 

I'm in agreement with what everyone else has said to this point. 

Only thing I might add is to try and make an appointment with a fitter/pro who has a Trackman, Flightscope, or GCQuad to get some additional data on swings and strikes

Driver:  :titelist-small: TS3 (8.5*) - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 70X , 1" short & tipped 1", 4 extra grams of head weight

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TS3 (14.25*) - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 80X, 2 extra grams of head weight

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

CURRENTLY TESTING THE HONMA TR20 DRIVER