Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Green Speed

GolfSpy_SHARK

Green Speed?! How slick is slick enough  

11 members have voted

1. 1. For green speeds what do you prefer? Strictly speed, hopefully they are smooth.

• Roll off the green Tour speed (12+ on stimp)
    • Middle of the road
    • Molasses

Just wanted to see what everyone prefers for their green speed. Local courses I typically play are usually rolling 10+ and have played on tour type speeds. I would have to say I prefer my greens slick. It really adds an element to the game and typically find myself putting better on faster greens.

Have seen my cousin who is a local head greenskeep go through the stimp meter and is pretty cool to watch.

image.jpeg.02636cc6c1bcce6965600e7767d0ac77.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I generally prefer fast greens. But they can slow down #3 at hopedale. #dontgolong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I adapt better to faster greens better than slower greens.  I picked middle of the road because that is probably the ideal.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I prefer to just hit the ball in the hole before I have to worry about putting.

I’ve played on some super fast greens. Don’t like them, like a tile floor. I don’t like shag carpet though. Somewhere in between.

SIAP, But every B1G POY under Izzo...

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I adapt better to faster greens better than slower greens.  I picked middle of the road because that is probably the ideal.  

I agree. Good thought "adapting". I find myself in the same boat. Slow greens just have me scratching my head sometimes vs a faster green.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Can I just get greens that roll true? And greenskeepers that aren't nuts? It seems like on the courses with the faster greens the pins are in tougher positions to boot.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

i tend to putt better on a faster green, but I think that mostly has to do with the fact that the ball rolls true.  I am of the mindset that if you can putt, you can putt anywhere, anytime.

I don't mind slow greens, but I'd prefer something nice and slick

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

6 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Can I just get greens that roll true? And greenskeepers that aren't nuts? It seems like on the courses with the faster greens the pins are in tougher positions to boot.

Take Dead Aim

Roll is key and I would take a true roll on a slower green vs the opposite.

I think you need to find a course that does that. We have a few around here that  you have your mark and they just roll, no bumps or anything like that (still have to get the correct line though cant help you with that lol). 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I prefer fast greens. Find less variation hole to hole. Much easier to control distance. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I prefer faster greens, in general faster greens also tend to be more true.  On the other hand, the green speed should also match the green contours.  Severely sloped greens should not be allowed to get too fast, putting becomes excessively difficult, and can slow play substantially.  The fastest greens I can remember were at Latrobe CC (yes, Arnold's home).  The conditions were great, the greens VERY fast, but there were one or two holes where the ball would not stop near the hole.  Not coming from above the hole, not putting uphill from below, it simply wouldn't stop, and that's unreasonably fast.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I prefer faster greens, in general faster greens also tend to be more true.  On the other hand, the green speed should also match the green contours.  Severely sloped greens should not be allowed to get too fast, putting becomes excessively difficult, and can slow play substantially.  The fastest greens I can remember were at Latrobe CC (yes, Arnold's home).  The conditions were great, the greens VERY fast, but there were one or two holes where the ball would not stop near the hole.  Not coming from above the hole, not putting uphill from below, it simply wouldn't stop, and that's unreasonably fast.
Agree 100% no one wants to 3 putt all day because the greens are too quick and pins on nubbins where the ball won't stop.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Give me "bikini waxed" greens everyday. As long as they are receptive. Have played too many rounds where greens were hard and fast and that is a nasty combination. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

7 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Give me "bikini waxed" greens everyday. As long as they are receptive. Have played too many rounds where greens were hard and fast and that is a nasty combination. 

Love it 

image.gif.ec49b5b1d0713d317f96c41ee3d154e4.gif

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I like middle of the road, because you can still be aggressive and don't have to lag from 10-15 ft. I don't mind the challenge of fast greens, and short putts are easier to hit a good stroke. Slow greens I same to push and pull more short/mid range putts trying to hit them hard enough

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

I prefer and tend to do better on faster greens, but I have no idea what my idea of "fast" is on a stimp meter, so I picked middle of the road.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Put me in the moderate camp.

I will add that IMO over fast greens are a huge cause of slow play particularly at upper end daily fee courses.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Put me in the moderate camp.

I will add that IMO over fast greens are a huge cause of slow play particularly at upper end daily fee courses.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Its definitely tough to gauge. Really is a skill to be able to have good touch (especially going downhill) there is a hole at a course I play (#3) if you are pin high you are side dooring it and typically you will have to putt up hill and come down hill, it is brutal and when that is rolling....forget it. It can really slow pace of play on that hole....Thats why I play early morning 🤪

Check out my reviews:

WITB: