Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Miura PI-401 vs JPX 921 Tour vs JPX 921 Forged

I recently did a fitting at cc to get fit for the latest equipment. I currently game some pretty old clubs and wanted to get the whole bag fit.

Current clubs:

Driver : Callaway Diablo Edge 9.5* (stock shaft)

3 wood : Callaway Diablo Edge 13* (stock shaft)

2 Hybrid : Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 19* (stock shaft/demo club)

Irons : 4-GW Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, 56*, 60* Mizuno T-12 Wedges (DG S300 shafts)

The fitting came out with recommendations for the Miura PI-401 irons with C-taper lite S shafts. They are quoting me almost $4000 for these with the shaft upcharge + puring whereas Miura direct is a little cheaper. I did hit the Titleist CNCPT irons which also seemed to work well as well as some Mizuno Hot Metal Pros but didnt feel as good as the Miuras. I paused on the order since spending $4k for just irons seems ridiculous to me. Feel/performance of the Miuras was good but I think Mizunos are in general a little softer on the pure hits.

After a couple of weeks I went to PGA SS to see what other alternative there were that could be had for maybe cheaper. Honestly, I can get a whole bag of top OEM drivers + woods + Mizuno irons with around $2-$2.5k. I did gravitate towards the JPX 921 Tour and the Forged over the hot metal pros because of the looks and similar performance to my clubs. So I was trying to see how much more different the newer (JPX) clubs felt/performed than my current gamers. Honestly they didnt feel all that different. I am looking for suggestions on if I should just hunker down and spend the money on Miuras and order direct OR get fit for either JPX 921 Tour/Forged OR get my current gamers reshafted to the C Taper Lite shaft which I seem to like? The guy at CC said reshafting my current wont change my trajectory but Im not sure about that. I am looking for a slightly lower trajectory than my current setup.

Looking for suggestions/expert advice!

If it was me I am going with the new mizuno's and saving that movie to spend on other clubs without question. There is next to no way I could justify spending 4k on only irons. Miura without question are amazing and great feeling clubs, but so are mizzy's and the fact your money goes that much farther is awesome. Mizuno also has a great variety of shafts available for no upcharge as well. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I also think looking at the new mizuno line is a great option. Feel will be good still and yes save some bucks. Of course you can also look at different builders for the Murias if you were set in getting them as CC had been noted to have pretty high build costs, but as your said they will still be expensive. Good luck with finding the right fit.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Mizuno/Srixon irons all the way! My game doesn't justify 4K on set of irons... sometimes it doesn't even justify 1K 😄

Opinions on Srixon are a little bit varied, while for Mizuno, I honestly haven't heard a single person tell me they don't like them.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Agree with the Mizuno recommendations - Miura makes a very nice club, but I don't think it's worth the cost relative to what Mizuno offers. If you're torn between Forged and Tour and think the Tour could be right, consider a mixed set - I have JPX 919s with 4-6 Forged, 7-PW Tour, which works pretty well for me, but there is a bit of a gap between the 6 and 7 in terms of distance. But before considering that...

Watch out for the sales pitch with the fitting - you might only be hearing part of the story and may want to ask more questions or try other shaft/head combos before making the final call. Changing a shaft on an iron absolutely should affect launch, but it might not result in what you're looking for and won't match the results of the same shaft in a different head. If you're actually looking for lower launch...Your current DG shaft is actually a very low launching shaft, and C Taper Lite shouldn't give you lower launch on it's own (you should actually expect it to be higher, but there are swing factors at play too). Simply reshafting might be going in the wrong direction (plus at $50+ per shaft, the cost alone would influence me toward getting newer heads)

There are other factors in the iron heads that affect launch/traj - for example, weighting and lofts. Focusing on loft, the Miuras are very strong relative to your current set and the 921s - comparing 7 irons, we have:

• Current gamer: 33°
  • JPX Tour: 34°
  • JPX Forged: 31°
  • Miura: 30° (That's a full club stronger than JPX Tour - it's basically a 6 iron with a 0.5" shorter shaft)

It seems your fitter may have hit your ideal launch numbers by taking a higher launch shaft paired with a lower lofted head.  That's not necessarily a bad thing - if the shaft profile leads to better contact relative to the DG (which is a reasonable expectation), then that's great, but then you would need something else to get the launch back down, and loft can do the trick. If you put the C-Tapers into your current set or JPX Tour, you might see significantly different results. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

Regarding your irons, the current Mizuno forgings aren't very different from what your are currently playing outside of aesthetics. The only real world differences are going to be lofts and probably newer/sharper grooves. Miura's are perfectly fine irons but they offer no performance advantages over Mizunos or any other iron for that matter. If you're set on replacing your clubs, I would order from the PGA SS and get some new woods on the top end of the bag. There is no reason to pay the high CC premium if the PGA SS can do it for way less.

3 hours ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

Agree with the Mizuno recommendations - Miura makes a very nice club, but I don't think it's worth the cost relative to what Mizuno offers. If you're torn between Forged and Tour and think the Tour could be right, consider a mixed set - I have JPX 919s with 4-6 Forged, 7-PW Tour, which works pretty well for me, but there is a bit of a gap between the 6 and 7 in terms of distance. But before considering that...

Watch out for the sales pitch with the fitting - you might only be hearing part of the story and may want to ask more questions or try other shaft/head combos before making the final call. Changing a shaft on an iron absolutely should affect launch, but it might not result in what you're looking for and won't match the results of the same shaft in a different head. If you're actually looking for lower launch...Your current DG shaft is actually a very low launching shaft, and C Taper Lite shouldn't give you lower launch on it's own (you should actually expect it to be higher, but there are swing factors at play too). Simply reshafting might be going in the wrong direction (plus at $50+ per shaft, the cost alone would influence me toward getting newer heads)

There are other factors in the iron heads that affect launch/traj - for example, weighting and lofts. Focusing on loft, the Miuras are very strong relative to your current set and the 921s - comparing 7 irons, we have:

• Current gamer: 33°
  • JPX Tour: 34°
  • JPX Forged: 31°
  • Miura: 30° (That's a full club stronger than JPX Tour - it's basically a 6 iron with a 0.5" shorter shaft)

It seems your fitter may have hit your ideal launch numbers by taking a higher launch shaft paired with a lower lofted head.  That's not necessarily a bad thing - if the shaft profile leads to better contact relative to the DG (which is a reasonable expectation), then that's great, but then you would need something else to get the launch back down, and loft can do the trick. If you put the C-Tapers into your current set or JPX Tour, you might see significantly different results. 

Thanks for the recommedations. I believe this is exactly what happened where he may have used the head/shaft combo to get me the right trajectory and distance. 

Overall now I am leaning towards 921 Tour and forged combo. I really like the shape and look of the Tour but may need the extra forgiveness of the forged in the higher irons. Maybe a combo set is the way to go! Will inform everyone how this works out. 

Another thing I am considering is 919 Tour/Forged combo as well. I do not need the latest irons and might even find value in the previous models. I am a little skeptical however with buying it on ebay.

I will also say that Id rather do a fitting with the Mizuno shaft optimizer to determine the correct shaft for me. It seems to have improved a lot from the first gen of when the device came out. 

Believe it or not the GG near my place has better service than the PGASS (where Im not waiting in line like a restaurant with a pager) just to get some attention and a bay to hit some clubs for feel and trackman numbers.

Also I have found that all bays at either PGASS or GG are very different from each other. PGASS uses the foresight machine and GG uses the Trackman and in general I feel like Trackman is more accurate at giving the real yardages/height/shape/numbers on shots.