Has anyone tried counter balancing their clubs or putters with something similar to the TourLock weights?

KenBender

16 minutes ago, KenBender said:

Thinking of trying this, but, looking to see if anyone here has experience with this.

Yes,  most people have counterbalanced their putters whether they think about it or not.   The larger putter grips are heavier and in superstroke lines they come with weights.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've never used a superstroke or extra large grip.The large grips just feel weird to me( I understand why some people use them). I'm looking for an answer from someone who might have actually used the weights in the grip/butt end of their clubs.

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

27 minutes ago, KenBender said:

I've never used a superstroke or extra large grip.The large grips just feel weird to me( I understand why some people use them). I'm looking for an answer from someone who might have actually used the weights in the grip/butt end of their clubs.

even normal size grips can be heavy.   But to answer your question, I have used the balanced certified weights in the past.   If you have specific questions might be best to post them so you can get specific answers.  

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Ok, when you did the cb to your clubs did it help? was it noticeable? Or did you abandon the process? Since you stated that you did it in the past. 

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

even normal size grips can be heavy.   But to answer your question, I have used the balanced certified weights in the past.   If you have specific questions might be best to post them so you can get specific answers.  

I, too, used the Balance Certified weights in the past. It started with the putter and made a huge difference there. Then I progressed to the driver, and, eventually, had them in all my clubs. I felt the added distance as the back weight added mass but made the club feel lighter, so I could increase swing speed. 

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

7 hours ago, KenBender said:

Ok, when you did the cb to your clubs did it help? was it noticeable? Or did you abandon the process? Since you stated that you did it in the past. 

I would say it helped a bit with distance control.   The feeling is noticeable and you can see the results when being fit for the proper weighting.   I switch putters a lot and you would have to be fit for the weight with each putter so I abandoned the process.   The most experiment that showed the effects of counterbalancing was when I did an Edel fitting which also took weight placement into account.   I guess you could say my current putter is counterbalanced since i am using a stroke lab shaft which is about moving weight.  Mine is the gen1 which had a 30g weight in the butt end and a heavy grip.  When I disassembled it I experimented with just the heavier grip and it had the same effect.

counterbalancing putters goes though phases, it was the big thing for a while and people were shoving lag bolts and all kinds of objects in the butt end of putters as cheap options.   During the balanced certified era you would see all kinds of used putters with the hold cut in the end of the grip to allow for the weight insertion.    Kind if died off and the use of heavier grips became the norm since it was easy to experiment with grips    It’s back in vogue becuase of the success a few tour players have had….the old if they do it it must be right for me mentality.   

On full swing clubs I tried the secret grip and didn’t like it very much   Shafts are now  counterbalanced to produce a similar effect   I’ve tried them in my driver and they didn’t do much for me.   

Success will vary from person to person; some people like to feel weight in the  head and some like to feel the weight in their hands.  If you want to cheaply experiment tape nickels to the end of your grip, they weigh 5g.   

here’s a video that one of our clubfitting members @McGolf did about counterbalancing putters. That might give you some good info.  

Thanks for the info, it definitely helps. I’m about to change grips on my set from a midsize back to a standard which is 10-12g lighter per grip and I was wondering how much it might throw off the feel of the clubs. If I don’t like it I guess I’ll need to raise the weight in the butt end. 

countering balancing the putter using the correct weight will almost assuredly bring positive results.

countering balancing irons or woods not so much.  I have found that if you are a smoother swinger or have an easy transition you will not receive much of a benefit.

However the more aggressive golfer may get a bonus from the weights. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 6 months later...

There was a guy slapping weights on clubs at driving range last summer. Yes it changes the swing weight and balance of your putter and other clubs. Is probably do that in the context of a proper fitting