Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pulling a shaft from a non hosel clubhead

If anyone has pulled say a Callaway FT-5 I would like to compare your step by step methods so we can exchange techniques!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Lots of shops won't touch an FT-5, and for good reason, they're very delicate. There are 2 ways to go about it though, and neither is problematic for an experienced club builder. It honeslty depends on what a person wants to do with the shaft they're pulling.

1. If the shaft is of no consequence, and doesn't need to be saved, it's simple. Cut the shaft and then drill the hosel out. Thay's possibly the easiest method on that particular club. It's invasive, but not on the proprietary materials of the club.

2. If the pull needs to be saved, it gets a little more tricky due to the composite crown, but not more so than your experienced builder can handle. The easiest method, for me, when worrying about saving the shaft is to make sure I have a high quality hydraulic shaft puller, and a good heat gun where I can regulate the temperature. I generally set it to the lowest setting and heat it slowly, allowing the epoxy to break down slowly and evenly. I also make sure to wrap the shaft puller with leather strips to help protect the clubhead more. Then it's simply a game of finding the epoxy's happy medium of breakdown temp and letting the hydraulic puller do the work, ensuring the shaft doesn't twist.

With either method, I make sure to clean the hosel out with acetone and a bore brush before installing the new shaft. Once I'm sure everything is clean and dry and the shaft is properly prepped, it's just installing the shaft and setting it so it can dry.

Patience is the key.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I would add the comment that I also put Cool Gel and/or Bloc-It on the composite crown while heating the hosel.

The gel will keep the crown cool ( put lots of it on the top and you could reclaim it later for next use ). I use torch simply because it's faster than a heat gun.

The above post describes quite well how to these. You can also wrap the head in a cold, wet towel and there are also protective sleeves you can use so a puller doesn't cause damage to the crown as well. Another method that can be used is with a hot rod down the shaft to heat the shaft from the inside.

If anyone has pulled say a Callaway FT-5 I would like to compare your step by step methods so we can exchange techniques!

Never have had to pulled one out...

Most of the players over here,stay with the standard shafts in their drivers...

They like more to buy a new driver, than to replace a shaft :mellow:

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent posts. I would never do this on my own but its interesting to read about the process and how involved it is. It sounds like patience is a virtue when it comes to this work.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I will wrap the head in a wet towel and position the head so that the head is angled so that the heat gun will apply heat to the heel portion of the face. I will then heat a ramrod with a torch and warm the shaft from the inside while having the heat gun on it's lowest setting.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• 4 weeks later...

Archived