Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Need suggestions for a back friendly swing

I hurt my lower back decades ago.  I have 3 vertebrae that show signs of deterioration.  Until the last couple of months, the golf swing never bothered my back.  It was only lifting objects that caused problems.  Now, my back starts hurting after a few holes and gets really stiff.  I have started core exercises and stretches for my back and hips.  I am looking for any tips for a swing and/or set up that is easy on the back.  Any ideas?

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Proper hip turn and sequencing will help alleviate back pain in fine swing as they take pressure off the back.

Any good golf swing would be what’s needed. Best bet is to find an instructor that can work with you based on your current back issues and swing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You can try to open your back foot to match how open your front foot is.  That helps me during cold weather golf when my back is not nearly as loose as summer golf.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I suffer from the same, along with stenosis, degenerative disks from lumbar to lower-thoracic, and rampant arthritis. L4/L5 is my worst area.

Epidural shots have been a godsend, but after they wore off and I was hit with yet another herniation on 7/29, the unexpected happened. That is, insurance denied more shots. Twice. Road closed there, I feared.

After a 7 week layoff, still too early to come back, and I knew it, I gambled. I'd previously bought an inexpensive sports back brace in 2019 but never even bothered to remove it from its original packaging. Desperate to play, I finally tried it out.

It works.

I can play. At a high level, at that, and my back feels very supported. The proof is in the post-round symptoms. They've been minimal.

Even though the very unexpected happened, being that the doctor's office stayed on it, and insurance finally approved the shots (received them on 10/6), I've found the brace to still be best when playing. I played one round without it, and even with the shots' full effect, during the round, my back muscles became fatigued quickly. And post round was very uncomfortable. No pain, the meds take care of that. But the spasming was terrible.

Used the brace again for the past two rounds, and I've felt awesome.

This has been a very long story, LOL... to lead me to this. While I haven't yet had surgery, fellow golfers who have, had long recommended that I try using a back brace. I always resisted the thought. The idea seemed counterproductive to me as to freedom of movement. Prohibitive. And even though I bought mine in 2019, I only did so as a last resort measure that I never really planned to use.

Well, for my condition, anyway... I should've listened to my friends long ago. It helps, protects, supports, and even provides warmth. It's terribly uncomfortable to put it on and drive to the course. But once playing, I honestly never consider it, not even once beyond the very first round. It doesn't at all inhibit any golf movement. No discomfort, I just lock-in and play. But, LOL... once the round is over, awareness of its tension registers once again, and I can't wait to rip it off post-round.

But the danged thing works. I'll be using it to play until surgery becomes a necessity.

Best of luck to you.

Try pulling your trail foot back a bit so your stance is closed. But keep your shoulders square to slightly closed. Then, if you have a strong grip, weaken it to neutral and work on a swing that's more hands and arms oriented. A pivot-dominated swing isn't going to help your back. And work on getting your hands high in the backswing while letting your front heel come off the ground. A really good swing to look at is Rocco Mediate's move. Very back friendly.

WITB:

Taylor Made SIM Max 10.5, Speeder 569 Evo-V S

Ping G425 15.5*, Speeder 569 Evo-V S

Ping G425 18*, Evenflow Blue 65 6.0

Ping G425 22* 4-hybrid, KBS Graphite Tour Prototype 80, S

Mizuno 921 SEL, Nippon 750 Wraptech S

Vokey SM8 50/54/60, Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5, 32"

Thanks for the suggestions.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

• 1 month later...

I have herniated discs/central tear on L4/L5 region along with neglected misaligned hips due to not knowing my legs were different lengths (the more you know!).  I went to a TPI certified Osteopath and had a full screening to see where my "weaknesses" were in terms of golf movements with gradual programs to work on these areas.   Once these had built up we then looked at my swing, I had a great move but it was terrible for my back.  We then worked at moves that were specific for me and my injuries which was a complete set up/posture change along with a grip change.  been at it for 8 weeks now and still have more to do as my back can only last one round a week now with recovery in between.  My personal advice is to seek out someone who can advise for your specific needs rather one swing fits all

#integrity of those fat cats pockets

On 10/14/2023 at 2:08 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

I hurt my lower back decades ago.  I have 3 vertebrae that show signs of deterioration.  Until the last couple of months, the golf swing never bothered my back.  It was only lifting objects that caused problems.  Now, my back starts hurting after a few holes and gets really stiff.  I have started core exercises and stretches for my back and hips.  I am looking for any tips for a swing and/or set up that is easy on the back.  Any ideas?

Not sure how I missed this but I did. I have a very similar condition. Destroyed my back in the 80’s down hill skiing. They wanted to fuse my spine back then and I said “not gonna happen” I have advanced degenerative disc disease in the L2, L3 area. You wouldn’t know it if you were around me on the golf course.  I can’t hold any weight out in front of me. Way too painful. But in golf I decreased the length of my backswing and take the club back slowly (at least I think I do). Once I’m at the top all the speed is in the down swing and I follow the club down the line. The more active I am the better I am. If I took off from golf for an extended period of time things actually get worse because I am not keeping the back loose.  

Doctor recommended the following :

Lay on the bed and pull a knee up to your chest and hold it for a few seconds. Repeat 5 or 6 times. The switch to the other leg and repeat the process. Then do both at the same time. 
The other one is to lay on your side. Take the leg that is up off the bed and bring your knee up as high as you can on its own and let it lay on the bed. Keep the lower body in that position. Now rotate your upper body to get both shoulders to lay flat on the bed. Hold for a few seconds and repeat. Then do the other side.

I do this several times a week and it has kept me away from the knife for the last 35 years. 

I would love to try the CBD gummies or ointment but my work has a strict drug policy. If anything shows up that you don’t have a prescription for your fired. They said taking a chance on CBD products is up to you and you know the consequences. But I hear this really helps.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Something i discovered in early summer trying to play through back pain is to use scotty schefflers back foot slide on the follow thru.  That move really helped ease the pain i had.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.