Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2024 PING G430 MAX 10K Driver

GolfSpy_APH

1 hour ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Back from the range. I will say - it was 40ºF today and I also felt a bit stiff so definitely wasn't giving my best. I was topping out at around 99mph SS and most were in the 95mph range. All of that said, I think these were pretty spectacular numbers for a cold day and range balls (albeit this is the TopTracer adjusted numbers). 

That said - here's what I was seeing - this is all the range from highest to lowest, and I only subtracted true heel ball misshits:

- G425 Max (10.5º flat) - Carry 220-241yds - Total 248-272yds - Height 54 to 72ft
- G430 10K (10.5º flat) - Carry 211-239yds - Total 239-271 yds - Height 42 to 90ft
- G430 10K (11.5º flat) - Carry 224-246yds - Total 256-281 yds - Height 66 to 87ft

My PRGR launch monitor had carries in 238-240yd range for the 10K @ 11.5º, so I'm fairly confident the TopTracer numbers are close enough ± 5yds for what I would see with regular balls. I also definitely needed the 11.5º in the to get the ball consistently in the air.

On to the dispersion - Red (G425 Max) Yellow (10K @ 10.5º) Blue (10K @ 11.5º) : 

IMG_1779.jpg.c4c13c330de5213fcbea5f37da9b91f6.jpg

Like I said, it was a pretty trash day for me in terms of swing quality and consistent strike, but if this was a bad day on the golf course I would be fine. I pushed one 10K at 11.5º way right, and then also hit one a little low out of the bottom of the face which was a little short, but if you look how tight the other six shots are, it was insane - literally 30yds right to left and 15yds front to back.

What this doesn't show is that almost every single shot with the 10K at 11.5º (what I was fit into) was either a tight 20yd push draw, or a dead straight frozen rope. I honestly cannot understand the witchcraft that has gone into this driver. I'll be putting my G425 on sale this weekend, so that's a pretty strong endorsement given I haven't even gamed this on the course yet.

Playing golf Monday, so can report back on the on the course performance. I did find I had to tee it a hair lower, and also have the ball a little further towards the toe to find the center of the face.

It doesn't seem like there was much difference between the 3 in both distance and dispersion.

4 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

It doesn't seem like there was much difference between the 3 in both distance and dispersion.

4-5 yards of additional carry and 8-9 yards of additional total on a 40ºF day? Dispersion front to back with the 10K at 11.5º was markedly tighter.

Edited by Rearviewmirror

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  - Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz.1

The flatter sole of this driver head looks so pure. I can tell its gonna look amazing behind the ball.

Callaway Maverik 9.0 (Hazerdus Smoke 6.0 55g)

Callaway Epic Max 3w (Hazerdus smoke 6.0 65g)

Ping G400 3hy (stock stiff shaft 70g)

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-9 (project x LZ 6.0 120g)

Cleveland RTX 6 46, 50, 54

Cleveland RTX fullface 58

So I actually spent a few hrs over 3 days testing out all of the new drivers before they came out. I put them up against my current gamer, g425 max, and their previous generations (i.e. paradym vs paradym a.i. smoke etc)

Generally the new models were just as good or better. The biggest difference though, far and away was the g430 max 10k over the g430 max and LST models. I did use the Chrome TTour2.0 65 S shaft for all the ping drivers and i play the previous generation shaft on my g425. All heads 9° for ping.

Launch was up for the 10k. But spin was way down compared to both the 425 and 430 max models. Carry and overall distance were up. Only then LST came close but not nearly as consistent. Shot shape was straight or slight draw. The couple of shots right we pushes that still wanted to be dead straight. Overall dispersion was noticeably tighter with the 10k. It felt very stable and easy to swing. Ball was hot coming off the face. The sound was a loud crack, but still and improvement over the 425 sound. The overall shape still framed the ball nicely at address and the shallower face almost felt easier to find the middle.

Ball speeds sat around 136-139 but i didnt really get after it. Average carry sat around 232y and overall at 256y. Spin was 2400 and launch angle was high, almost 17*. I already hit a high ball with launch between 15.5 and 17 but the 10k didn't ballon up due to the lack of spin. Average peak height was 94ft. I did notice i had 2 shots that dipped to about 1920 and 1875 rpm on backspin, which would be unheard of on my g425. 

The 10k seems to be a max version of the LST. I am sure for some, they won't see much of a difference between the 2. But if you are playing the 425 still, this is the model you need to start with when you are looking for a replacement. 

:ping-small:G430 Max 10k 9°

:cleveland-small:3+ Hy-wood 17°

:cleveland-small:4+ Hy-wood 20°

:ping-small:4 Hybrid 22°

:srixon-small:Zx5 mkII 5i-P

:cleveland-small:CBX 48°, CBX FF 53° & 58°

:cleveland-small:Frontline Elevado 

:srixon-small:Z-Star

First round on the course today and I'm a hair perplexed. I felt like I was hitting them fairly well at the range beforehand, but it was very sunny so couldn't see where the ball was landing.

On the course it was a bit all over the map. Best drive of the day was only 252 total and the first nine I was beset by zero spin dead ball hooks that went ~200yds. Back nine I really consciously focused on hitting up on the ball and that improved matters, but still only seeing 220-240 total on my drives. 

I'm playing my home course on Thursday so hopefully I'll be able to figure out what's going on. I'm guessing it may just take a little time to acclimatize. 

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  - Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz.1

So I finally got mine out this weekend.  I hit 67% of fairways and had my lowest score ever. I am really confident with this club.  I put a Graphite Destin VF 7s in it, and it feels super stable. I didn’t feel like I lost any distance, in fact my miss hits went further. I really love this club!

Matt

I demoed the G430 Max 10.5 tonight at Golf Galaxy in Raleigh. He put a 45g shaft on it, but I don't know which brand. My solid strikes (they weren't all solid) were about 2100-2300 rpm and mostly pushed way right to a little right. I hit a few of my baby cuts which would have been center-cut in the fairway. Distance overall was probably just a tad better than I got two weeks ago with the Ai Smoke, but it didn't feel as good, and my direction was better with the Callaway. The search for the perfect driver continues...

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

I had a G425 Max.  Demo'ed the G430 Max 10K, Qi10, and Ai Smoke.  Gained an additional 25 yards of carry on the driver with the 10K, mostly dead straight.  Didn't look back and ordered it.  Already dreaming of my future scores in the 70's...until I realize my real problem still is in my putting.

I'm 63, and only 5'7" and I played last year with a Callaway Paradigm driver. I tested the new Ping 10K (Golf Galaxy) to improve fairway accuracy and not only did my dispersion decrease, I added 10-15 yards to 250 with the driver. The readings were pretty clear in that the spin decreased significantly, while going straight.  Anyway, it was a no brainer to change drivers. 

This is definitely the most intriguing driver of the year. Some Low spin tech but still maintaining 10k MOI? The perfect driver? Every tester I've seen on YouTube has been shocked at how well it performs. 

1. QI10 9* degree
  2. TSR 2+ 3 wood
  3. Stealth+ hybrid
  4. Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW
  5. Vokey SM8 wedges 50*, 54*, 59*
  6. Spider FCG

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a 2024 driver fitting, not expecting a Ping driver to be the top performer, but was curious about the Ping 10k. Had thought I was going to fit into an AI Smoke model, given I have been fit into a Callaway driver two years in a row. 

• The AI Smoke was no better than my Paradym X, performance was statistically exactly the same. I did not find it any hotter off the toe, which is where I miss. 
  • Qi10 Max (not 10k) was also not it. Spin was unbelievably low for me. Spun at like 1600, compared to 2500 with the AI smoke, both at 10.5.
  • Hit the Ping 10k with I think the Kaili White in the standard setting, was better than the AI Smoke, similar distance but no snap hooks.
  • TSR2 was decent but not any better than the Callaway.
  • Ping 10k with the Tour Chrome 2.0, in the flat setting, this was the one. Hit the ball longer, straighter, none of the wild misses. 

Ordered the Ping 10k with that Tour Chrome 2.0 and it arrived mid-week last week. Took it to the course for the first time on Sunday. Warming up on the range, it was decent, but had some of my normal bad shots. Noticed I was hitting very far off the toe. Wondered if it was just a combo that worked well during a fitting but not on course.

Took a few holes to work things out, but after that, it was on. Would have to say, it was up there with one of the best driving days of my life. No snap hooks after the third hole. Only one wild high push fade miss the entire round. Everything else was small push draw or straight, high launch, in places on the course where I am at only in the summer (it was rainy and wet). 

Normally I am the tinkerer, needing to try out different aftermarket shafts, but I don't want to put anything else in the 10k. Something about this combo, 10k + Tour Chrome 2.0 is just really good. 

The guys that I play with regularly said my best shots were better and my bad shots were better. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I was fitted for the g430 Max 10k yesterday, unfortunately I'm a lefty and they only had the 10.5 degree head.  Would you all recommend the 9 degree or 10.5 degree head based on my averages with 10.5? Most shots were draws/right side fairway/rough during testing:

Head/Shaft: 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Stiff

Club speed: 97 mph

Launch Angle: 16.5 degrees

Spin: 2,500 rpm

Carry: 232 yds

Total: 255 yds

I've always struggled keeping spin under 3,000 rpm, I was shocked that I was averaging ~500 rpm less spin with the 10k driver vs the g430 Max!

I did a driver fitting this past Saturday and tested a bunch of drivers to replace my Ping G425 Max. Some notes from my experience:

• Titleist TSR2: Hated it. Not forgiving. And didn't like the looks. 
  • TaylorMade Qi10 Max: Didn't like the looks, especially at address. Used to playing a Ping driver with it's curved face and the Qi10's face looks like the flat side of a cinder block. The face felt dead and dull. Numbers were subpar and spin was much higher than any of the other drivers. A few hit 4k spin, which is super odd. I'm a pretty low driver spin guy.
  • Callaway AI Smoke Max: Not a fan of Callaway clubs for whatever reason, but I hit this really well. Hit the longest drive of the testing at 294 yards. It was between this and the Ping G430 Max 10K and I'm a Ping fanboi. 
  • Ping G430 Max and Max 10K: G430 Max was pretty good, but really didn't feel much of a difference over my current G425 Max besides it sounding slightly better. The 10K was another story. My fitter moved me into a heavier, stiffer shaft (Ping Tour 2.0 Black Extra Stiff) and I felt like I could swing full out and not worry about missing 30 yards left or right. The 10K is the sturdiest, most forgiving driver I've ever hit and it was pretty much point and shoot for me. Averaged 280+ yds total distance with a few 290-294 yards. And most were no more than 10-15 yards left or right of center. 

Winner: Ping G430 Max 10K

Edited by brogies
Proofreading

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I hit the 10.5* head with a Tour Chrome stiff shaft today and honestly didn’t see too much of a difference from my G425 Max with a Tensei Orange stiff shaft. I think the dispersion may have been better but not by much. I want to do a legit fitting and try different shafts to see if I can get some more ball speed and distance out of it. 

I have been looking into the G430 Max 10k and Taylormade Qi10 Max for a few months now, been reading all the MOI info and how these are the most forgiving clubs ever made etc.  And please excuse me for asking a dumb question, but why would people not play these types of clubs?  I realize thats a bit of a loaded question, but is the Max and 10k drivers losing that much ball speed that its not beneficial to switch?  Are the forgiveness gains exaggerated?

Again these are unanswerable questions without going to hit them and play different setups on your own.  However it seems like what is being reported about these clubs is a huge technological shift in driver equipment for amateur golfers?  Or perhaps I am just reading too much into this?

I hope we get some true MGS testing on these clubs(I am confident they are working on this as quickly as possible, they always are) and comparing them to the OEMs other models as well as last years similar models.  I would love to see how the LS models compare to the MAX models, especially for your average 10-15 HDC player.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

I went to fitting and compared the TaylorMade Qi10 LS , Callaway AI Standard , Ping G430 lST, Ping G430 max and the Ping 10k . All of them were 9 degree heads set to approx. 8.

The two best for me were the Taylormade Qi10 LS and the Ping 10k. They both produced approx. 155-62 ball speed and 1900-2200 spin on solid 106-110 mph hits . However, the Ping was more consistent and the spin stayed closer to the average when I missed.

I tried the TaylorMade with the black 1k in Stiff and Xstiff. Both produced about the same results as above. I tried the Ping Black tour shaft in the LST and 10k in stiff and Xstiff with ok results (I averaged in the low 150's ball speed and 2200-2500 spin). However, when I put the Kai'li White 60x in, the numbers increased to the above results.

I bought the 9* Ping max 10k with the Kai'li White 60x but I still really like the TaylorMade LS. It will be next on the list for me.

SjW

5 hours ago, DeBartola_B said:

I have been looking into the G430 Max 10k and Taylormade Qi10 Max for a few months now, been reading all the MOI info and how these are the most forgiving clubs ever made etc.  And please excuse me for asking a dumb question, but why would people not play these types of clubs?  I realize thats a bit of a loaded question, but is the Max and 10k drivers losing that much ball speed that its not beneficial to switch?  Are the forgiveness gains exaggerated?

Again these are unanswerable questions without going to hit them and play different setups on your own.  However it seems like what is being reported about these clubs is a huge technological shift in driver equipment for amateur golfers?  Or perhaps I am just reading too much into this?

I hope we get some true MGS testing on these clubs(I am confident they are working on this as quickly as possible, they always are) and comparing them to the OEMs other models as well as last years similar models.  I would love to see how the LS models compare to the MAX models, especially for your average 10-15 HDC player.

Spy testing is underway even as we speak for the Qi10 in all varieties (I believe there are two testers per head model). 

As for why you wouldn't play them, I've tried the Ai Smoke, the Cobra Darkspeed and the Ping since they came out. All nice clubs (Ai Smoke performed the best for me), but were any of them worth that kind of money? For me the answer was no; not enough improvement over my current gamer to justify $600 or whatever..

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

5 hours ago, DeBartola_B said:

The 10K drivers typically have CoG toward the back of the head versus the LS models which are more weight forward.  Generally speaking, there will  be some loss of ball speed with the Max models and a little more spin.   From what I have  heard, forgiveness gains are not exaggerated especially if you hit more fairways; which means more rollout than the rough.   

MGS most wanted driver testing is completed and they have been writing articles, taking pictures, and compiling data.  I would expect the results in a few weeks.    Once released you should be able to compare average ball speeds between the different models.

With any new driver you need to hit the club yourself to see if you gain on your current clubs.   Comparisons for 10-15 handicappers will vary on how strong/weak driver is for each player.  There are always technological gains each year in new drivers but those gains may not be in an area that helps you.  For example if you miss heel side but they improved toe side performance you may see no benefit.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I hit the 10K compared next to my Paradym. Not apples- I have the Hzrdus Silver in the Paradym and I tried the RDX Red in the 10K. My numbers were near identical- slight dispersion improvement with the Ping, but not enough to switch. The major difference for me was launch angle- I was able to get the Paradym in the 10-13 window more consistently (With my 101mph SS I believe that is optimal)- with the Ping I struggled to keep the launch in that window. I think I would like to try the 10K in a different shaft, but for now I like the Paradym's launch numbers. The shot that is way right was with the Paradym- I aimed that way. The shots up middle were with the 10K. I finally got one above 10 degrees launch with the 10k. 

IMG_7613.jpeg

IMG_7615.jpeg

IMG_7614.jpeg

Edited by DukeStKing

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

The fitter told me my new 10k would be delivered on Monday according to FedEx’s tracker, but after checking in every single day this week, the delivery date got moved to today. 😭

I’m going to give her a big kiss when she finally comes today. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as they say.

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

I had a G425 Max.  Demo'ed the G430 Max 10K, Qi10, and Ai Smoke.  Gained an additional 25 yards of carry on the driver with the 10K, mostly dead straight.  Didn't look back and ordered it.  Already dreaming of my future scores in the 70's...until I realize my real problem still is in my putting.

Sounds like you are a good candidate for a LAB putter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

Sounds like you are a good candidate for a LAB putter! emoji6.png

Based on the posts in the forum, I was under the impression that everyone was a good candidate for a LAB putter

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Based on the posts in the forum, I was under the impression that everyone was a good candidate for a LAB putter

Amen Brother!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

2 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

Nope not everyone.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Definitely looking at this driver to replace my current club, how are people rating it? The reviews are watched/read are all very positive, especially if, like me, the strike pattern is not always centre face 😁

Hugoski

If you guys haven't been following the Maxfli Tour X with Align Technology forum testing, I got my new 10K in last Friday and did some Trackman testing this past Sunday. And was testing some different ball models as well. Screenshots below but you can view the full report here

I'm a big fan. I also went with about an inch longer shaft (I had my G425 driver cut down) and am generating more swing and ball speed. Just need to get a little more used to letting the club settle more at the top. Very impressed so far.

Screenshot2024-03-10at12_02_01PM.png.8481356b26d1efda4a194ea3305efedb.pngScreenshot2024-03-10at12_02_08PM.png.983eb46f27d180755c4a3d51b556b183.png

Edited by brogies
Adding link to forum test

Great round for me with the 10K today. Pretty straight ball flight, to the point that I need to stop aiming right expecting a bigger draw. Seeing 5-10yds more than my G425 Max consistently and so far similar strokes gained. I'll be interested to see if SG goes up as the courses dry up and the fairways start to give a bit more roll out.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:47 AM, DukeStKing said:

I hit the 10K compared next to my Paradym. Not apples- I have the Hzrdus Silver in the Paradym and I tried the RDX Red in the 10K. My numbers were near identical- slight dispersion improvement with the Ping, but not enough to switch. The major difference for me was launch angle- I was able to get the Paradym in the 10-13 window more consistently (With my 101mph SS I believe that is optimal)- with the Ping I struggled to keep the launch in that window. I think I would like to try the 10K in a different shaft, but for now I like the Paradym's launch numbers. The shot that is way right was with the Paradym- I aimed that way. The shots up middle were with the 10K. I finally got one above 10 degrees launch with the 10k. 

IMG_7613.jpeg

IMG_7615.jpeg

IMG_7614.jpeg

Hit the 10k with the Ping Alta shaft and had much better launch angle numbers. I was also consistently getting better ball speed numbers and it was spinning less than the Paradym. This may be my unicorn after all considering I have a negative attack angle- forgiving and low spin! 

IMG_7651.jpeg

IMG_7650.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip