Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forum Member Reviews: Callaway Whitebox Testing

On 2/23/2024 at 3:28 PM, Ryan Luke said:

Hi JRDuck!

For years now Titleist has run buy 3 get one free with free customization of name, logo, etc. along with choose your number between 0 to 99.  Makes each dozen about $40 bucks each with the freebie dozen so well worth it to get custom ProV1x balls for that price point in my opinion.   If Callaway did the same I would 100% buy the Chrome Tour/Chrome Tour X for 2024 and really comapre them to the few dozen ProV1x's I still have left over from last year.  Hopefully they will consider doing just that as I think the balls are comparable in many ways but the triple track alignment for me stands out really nicely to line up putts and off the tee too. 

Just got an promotional email from a course around MKE (Kettle Hills GC). They are running the buy 3 get 1 free promo on TaylorMade TP5X, Titleist (All high end models - including ProV1x left dash) , Callaway Chrome and Bridgestone. 

You have to use their online portal to purchase and then they will have the balls in house for pickup. No shipping unfortunately. If anyone is in the Milwaukee area, it's a pretty great promo for high end balls. 

If you're interested, PM me and I can forward along the email. 

image.png.4739a4e1e86771473380c4fbbb5634b2.png

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w - Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

49 minutes ago, JRDuck40 said:

Just got an promotional email from a course around MKE (Kettle Hills GC). They are running the buy 3 get 1 free promo on TaylorMade TP5X, Titleist (All high end models - including ProV1x left dash) , Callaway Chrome and Bridgestone. 

You have to use their online portal to purchase and then they will have the balls in house for pickup. No shipping unfortunately. If anyone is in the Milwaukee area, it's a pretty great promo for high end balls. 

If you're interested, PM me and I can forward along the email. 

image.png.4739a4e1e86771473380c4fbbb5634b2.png

I agree that's a great deal on several top balls!  I still haven't received anything on my end but I will post once I do presuming I get the email with the same Titleist deal I have in the past.   I would love to buy the Callaway Chrome Tour and Tour X balls with the B3G1 free deal myself! 😁

PXG Gen1 Tour 0311 Irons 4-PW

Ping G425 LST 9 Degree Driver

Ping G410 LST 14.5 Degree 3 Wood

Exotics EX9 18 Degree Hybrid

Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Degrees

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter

Titleist ProV1x Ball #14 

1 hour ago, Ryan Luke said:

I agree that's a great deal on several top balls!  I still haven't received anything on my end but I will post once I do presuming I get the email with the same Titleist deal I have in the past.   I would love to buy the Callaway Chrome Tour and Tour X balls with the B3G1 free deal myself! 😁

I shared this before, but this was at a local Dick's Sporting Goods last Friday. Not on shelves yet and don't show online, but 4 for 3 is coming to the Chrome Tours very soon too! So it's probably worth checking out your local stores or biding your time.

D2D8B526-414E-476A-B799-A4437B966892_1_105_c.jpeg.9b185da0a6456892609ee90cbcc60376.jpeg

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

47 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

I shared this before, but this was at a local Dick's Sporting Goods last Friday. Not on shelves yet and don't show online, but 4 for 3 is coming to the Chrome Tours very soon too! So it's probably worth checking out your local stores or biding your time.

D2D8B526-414E-476A-B799-A4437B966892_1_105_c.jpeg.9b185da0a6456892609ee90cbcc60376.jpeg

Thanks Indy! 👍

Titleist ProV1x Ball #14 

CALLAWAY WHITE BOX TESTING - OFFICIAL MGS FORUM REVIEW BY GOLFINNUT

First Impressions:

The balls were in a nondescript white box with unmarked white sleeve boxes inside.  "Guess what's inside?"  I was surprised to see two sleeves each ... Chrome Tour ( CT) and Chrome Tour X (CTX) balls.  I ended up putting an "X" at the top of each sleeve so I knew which ball was which.  

Aesthetics:

Bright white, with the red/blue triple track alignment markings.  The markings are very sharp & high quality.  I like the placement  of the number above the name.  Seemed to be like any other Callaway ball otherwise.  CT & CTX:  10/10

Off the tee:

Loved the sound & the trajectory of the CT.  Had a lower flight ... a more piercing trajectory than the X,   When hit into the wind, the CTX spun way too much for me & would end up off the map if I didn't hit it square on the face.  Neither ball had any loss of distance though.  They have all been carrying about the same & plugging or barely rolling out of the ball mark.  All of the courses I've played with these it's been really wet & soggy, so there was absolutely no roll.  CT was consistently the longer of the two, comparing to the Pro Vs and AVXs that I usually play.  The sound off the CTX was noticeably louder to me.  I like the more muted sound to the CT.  Muted, but not soft, if that makes sense.  Just a great feel & compression.  CT: 9/10  CTX:  7/10

CT.jpg.8a6382c5928f502cf40a81a7433172a8.jpg

Approach: 

The CT & CTX really excelled in this area. Very high trajectory & balls just stuck or rolled back (CTX)  The CTX was the most affected by the wind.  It seemed to balloon in the air & would come up short most of the time.  Great sound & compression felt by both balls off the irons, with the CT feeling overall the better of the two.  CT: 8/10  CTX:  7/10

approach.jpg.34676c283d74bfa5178f2f98c4f32519.jpg

Around the green:

Chips & pitches were easily controlled.  I could anticipate how much the ball would sit or roll out after a few practice sessions.  The stopping ability was better with the CTX.  Clearly more spin, that's for sure.  CT & CTX:  9/10

DART.jpg.03c5f697646efdb2069837681f7fb5d1.jpg

Putting:

Easy to hold the lines after a target was established with the Triple Track design.  I would cover over the middle line because I prefer darker colors for the track lines.  Don't ask why.  😉  The Triple Track really helps to see if you've hit the ball square, rolling end over end.  I think it's helped me overall in my putting stroke.  I got used to the feel fairly quickly, especially the CT.  (this feels so similar to the ProV1).  Dropping both balls down blindly , I really couldn't tell the difference on the feel or impact.   CT & CTX:  9/10

Like or Dislike:

If they can make a ball that conforms between the two, they would be golden!  I love the trajectory of the CT but hate it off the CTX.  It just spins way too much for me.  If I had more clubhead speed, it might be different.  I like the control I can get with the short irons & pitches & chips.  Once I got my yardages down, I could just fire at pins all day & not worry about it bouncing over.  It would just sit & stop on a dime.  

Improvement?:

As far as scoring went, I did make a few more putts than usual.  🤔  Dunno why?   Score: CT 8/10, CTX 6/10

Good, bad and in between:

The flight of the CT fits right in my minds eye (flight window) & goes a long way with very little side to side spin off the tee.  Responsiveness were all good, with the CTX taking the lead with the spin category, especially with the short clubs around the greens.  Durability of the balls were excellent, just as long as you don't hit the cart path.  

The only negative I came up with was just with the durability of each.  Not enough really to effect play much, but it's just a noticeable picky thing with me, especially when putting.  I'll take it out of play if it gets too bad. CT & CTX Score:  18/20

Play or Trade:

I found these to be a good alternative than the ProV1 - this version of Callaway balls is much better than models I have played in the past.  I could play them for sure, especially the CT.       Score:  19/20

Conclusions:

I liked the CT better of the two, based on the better distance, flight and the lack of side spin.  I felt I could control the CT better, and it gave me more confidence to swing under control with the that ball vs the CTX.  I always felt I was going to hit it off the map when I knew it was the CTX.

Final score:  Chrome Tour 91/100, Chrome Tour X 85/100

Edited by golfinnut

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

48 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

I love the trajectory of the CT but hate it off the CTX.  It just spins way too much for me.  If I had more clubhead speed, it might be different. 

... I have a playing pard that visits me in Phoenix 3 or 4 times a year and he is a long hitter with a high swing speed. He plays the Chrome Soft LS (now the CT) and bought 10 dozen from MG Golf. His 2nd bag that he keeps at my house was almost out of balls so last visit in December he picked up a dozen triple track Chrome Soft X on sale and absolutely hated them. Spins waaaaay too much for him too and he lost a good 15yds off the tee and about 1/2 a club with his irons. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have a playing pard that visits me in Phoenix 3 or 4 times a year and he is a long hitter with a high swing speed. He plays the Chrome Soft LS (now the CT) and bought 10 dozen from MG Golf. His 2nd bag that he keeps at my house was almost out of balls so last visit in December he picked up a dozen triple track Chrome Soft X on sale and absolutely hated them. Spins waaaaay too much for him too and he lost a good 15yds off the tee and about 1/2 a club with his irons. 

big difference, just in the ball, wow

committed to performance excellence

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

Wow that's crazy.  I figured it would be opposite.  🤔 what do I know?  🤣

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

33 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

big difference, just in the ball, wow

... We were both a little shocked. He does have a -1 AoA and carries the ball around 280 so he needs a low spin ball. I have played with him enough to know I can keep up with him with my best drives from a tee box or two in front of him but he is more often than not about 20yds in front of me. For 9 holes he was about even with me and with 2 drives short of mine. LOL, he couldn't have that! 🤪  Said he hit them well, they just climbed and then dropped straight down. I had a couple Prov1's in my bag and gave them to him and his distance returned to normal on the back 9. 

... Not to get side tracked but this is one of the reasons I think some Am's are making a big deal about potentially losing 4 yds with the Ball Roll Back. As I have said before, my driver specs are different than the control driver in MGS's Ball Test but it is at least a decent indicator. How many have been through a golf ball fitting or done ball to ball testing with the highest rated balls? Given my swing speed is roughly in the mid swing category the CS LS is 5.42 yds longer off the tee than the Maxfli Tours I play. 

Screenshot2024-02-28at9_37_12AM.png.8f435e7eea7d225f64df631d04270ef6.png

I'm hoping for more 9 hole (each) ball testing this saturday morning. If not, I'll try for some SIM time on Sunday. The weather is being weird around here. I won't know if it'll rain until I wake up Saturday. I was able to spend an hour testing at Pinehurst CC and putting some on Thistle Dhu. Will post some chip and ball damage videos in the next day or so. Last week was a wash since I was on call, and can't venture far from the house in case someone does something wrong on the computer and I need to try to fix it.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Chrome Tour indoor sim testing 

For this test, I'm pitting the Callaway against my current gamer ball again, Sirxon Z Start XV. This is taking place at Stix Golf in Germantown, WI. If you live in the greater MKE area, check them out! Great SIM bays and lots of them! https://stixgolfbar.com/ The Sim being used is Full Swing. 

IMG_4392.jpeg.f5a35663673f04843e91135e13475510.jpegIMG_4384.jpeg.9db4bad5792920f606e3e0693c944f60.jpeg

For the final test, I'm using my 3 favorite clubs, 52 deg Cleveland RTX Raw, Takomo 101T 7i and my Titleist TS3 18 deg. 

First up... Sirxon Z Star (Green) second round was Chrome Tour (Red). 

IMG_4389.jpeg.a066264411e50964b3a37c6e1577884b.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg.096e020a000b291eb5297b922484f65b.jpeg

The biggest thing I noticed in outdoor testing on the Chrome X was the height I was gaining and the spin vs my XV. With the Tour, my ball flight was slightly lower than my current ball. Also the spin rate was relatively the same between the ball. The one thing I did notice was feel. The Chrome was quite a bit softer coming off the face versus the XV. I do like a crisp hit versus a soft 'thud'. Also very true on putting... 

Next up was the 7 iron test. Again first up.. XV (Green), Chrome Tour (Red)

IMG_4390.jpeg.445aff04d417ac9e4c08533cba0b24b8.jpeg

IMG_4387.jpeg.469521121070ffb2c960459b5c5ee779.jpeg

Again, the deviation between the apex and spin rates are pretty much the same... Tour getting a little less height, which I am okay with. Also the spin rate was lower than the XV. One other note, the over distance on the Tour was on average, longer than the XV. And let's be honest, we all want to hit it farther. Don't kind yourself. Everyone want's that! 

Last but not least, the cherry on top, TS3 Hybrid. 

IMG_4391.jpeg.79e3574e4704b4cfcb00083ac5cca903.jpeg

IMG_4388.jpeg.d941281069ac8ddc23b17abd929e1df9.jpeg

Z Start was first, with an avg distance of 234.8. Tour came in at avg. 222.6 yards. This club I typically hit slightly lower and have quite a bit of rollout per the courses I play in my area, Washington County, Kettle Hills, Dretzka Park GC & Brown Deer Park GC. Especially at Wash Co, you NEED to keep the ball lower and let it run. True links style track. To be quite honest, after hitting the Tour VS the XV, I would most likely not move onto this ball. The Chrome X was better performing for me outdoors and I was not seeing any significant gains VS the XV on the Tour. 

That being said, I still gave it a fair shake for the evening. Our league round was at St Andrews - Old Course. Conditions are - static wind (Zero Wind), 1500 ft above sea level, firm fairways and 10 foot gimmies. IE hit the ball, putt the ball within 10 feet and it's a auto 1 putt. I did play the ball the entire 9. And I would have to say that it held it's own. Quite a few close shots and one or two bad ones... Case in point (I apologize in advance)

But overall, the one thing that was going well was putting. I REALLY do like the triple track markings on the ball. It makes alignment for putting SO much easier. 

So overall. I would have to say that I was quite happy with the results. 

IMG_4393.jpeg.ea34f55bea7b4b30daadb0248287481f.jpeg

This was beyond my best round of the year so far. I'm usually around -1 to maybe -3 per 9. 7 freaking under par was incredible! As DP would say... 

image.png.3b8acc9059a255fc8c6c6325a8fe4a7f.png

The good.... again greenside / wedge play / irons 

The Tour VS the X on putting / greenside, the Tour takes the W here IMO. It's not as spongy / soft as the X. I also very, very much appreciate the alignment on the ball. Wedges / iron shots and spin, it is closer to my Sirxon XV and doesn't really deviate all that much to height. The Chrome X was a rocket ship. It would just climb and climb whereas the Tour had a similar flight path that I'm used to. Spin, again similar to the XV, which I like. The X was a spin machine, which may be good for some guys, the Tour held when I needed it to do so and wasn't overly backing up like the Tour X did. Of course this on a sim, not outdoors, but I'm just going off of what I can. 

Feel / Looks / Spin Score - 18.5/20

The bad... 

There really wasn't much of this. The sound and feel off my hybrid, fw metal and driver was nowhere near the odd / mechanical feeling that I was getting off of the X. It was softer than my Sirxon XV and performed just as well. Overall, I was pretty happy with the Tour. 

Buy it or toss it? 

I hate to say this, and so does my wife, but I'm very much leaning toward buying. I do have 4doz of the Sirxon, in the basement currently. That being said, once that is depleted, I will be keeping Callaway in mind, especially the Chrome Tour. I really liked the feel, look and performance. Great ball flight, similar numbers to the Sirxon on spin rates and distance. They really stepped up their game with the new Chrome release. And to be 100% honest, I wasn't expecting much because of prior issues I personally had with the Chrome line. Well done Callaway, a very well done job indeed. 

Overall score 19/20

Final Tally

Chrome X v Sirxon Z Star XV 16.5/20

On Course Chrome X - 17.5 / 20

Chrome X Overall - 16.5 / 20

Tour Feel / Spin / Looks - 18.5 / 20

Overall Tour - 19 / 20

Final Score - 88 / 100

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

29 minutes ago, JRDuck40 said:

To be quite honest, after hitting the Tour VS the XV, I would most likely not move onto this ball. The Chrome X was better performing for me outdoors and I was not seeing any significant gains VS the XV on the Tour. 

... Great post, but I am a little confused. You refer to the "Tour" and the "Chrome X" what seems like interchangeably. Obviously very different balls especially concerning spin, so maybe you can clarify which Callaway ball you used for which tests? 

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Great post, but I am a little confused. You refer to the "Tour" and the "Chrome X" what seems like interchangeably. Obviously very different balls especially concerning spin, so maybe you can clarify which Callaway ball you used for which tests? 

Outdoor test = Chrome Tour X

Indoor Test = Chrome Tour

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

Going to post my review in the coming days.  

I really am enjoying these new callaway balls.  On the course ive seen some major improvements to my open face miss off the tee.  

Edited by TG8
Clip from paynes valley

WITB

On 2/26/2024 at 9:09 PM, Indy_Oz said:

Ball data averages for driver and 7-iron tests (sim only testing)

I thought I'd share the averages for the test group of balls, ahead of finishing writing my 'final review' (with the huge caveat that it's all indoor testing and I will follow up with outdoor course observations after the weather finally permits good course conditions to test these balls properly),

The results surprised me. Looks like I might be erring towards to wrong type of ball for my swing dynamics. I currently game TP5X most of the time, but this data suggests I should be aiming for the 'higher spin' balls like the new TP5 and the Chrome Tour X! Very impressive showing by both the Chrome Tour and Tour X with the driver. Disappointing Chrome Tour figures for the 7-iron. Maybe it'll be different on the course.

Driver and 7-iron averages sorted by carry distance (saving the wedge data for after another short session, as I had a shocker last couple of sessions with inconsistent strikes):

Shots: At least 100 shots for driver and 150 for 7-iron. Target was 10 per ball, but with 7-iron I repeated some of the 'lower spin' ball shots as a data set available online for the prior full test was incomplete, but updated to include it all a couple of days later. Odd, but there you go.

Color coding: Green rows are 'low spin' balls. Blue rows are 'higher spin' balls.

Driver averages (Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 9* set to 8*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X stock length):

image.png.fc7aeaca8a95e410a6dbf090564281e9.png

Note: Bottom two rows left in for completeness, but these two sets were hit first after warming up, so not really fair on these two balls. May redo those later this week if I have time.

7-iron averages (Taylormade P790, 2019, 30.5* loft, KBS C-Taper Tour Lite X-stiff shaft, stock L/L/L):

image.png.48646e7c4f63d04a4b8023617f6da934.png

7-iron side spin shows I wasn't exactly swinging great or consistently for these sessions. Another iron session might be a good idea at some point and replace more 'bad' shots.

Certainly food for thought for me...

Full final report with scores to follow later this week.

I'm curious about the driver data you saw a bit.  In particular your CHS went from about 110 to about 106 across the balls, which I'm wondering may explain the lowest spinner in the Bridgestone.  By your note it was when you just started hitting, so not fatigue but instead tightness?  That's a LOT of shots to hit all at once so I'm guessing the balls after about 40 swings are so were getting the "best" swings when you're loose, but not exhausted.  If you were to take your body feeling into consideration, was there a top 2 or 3 balls that just seemed to get you distance on good and bad swings?  It's more of a "feel" and subjective observation question I know. 

Mainly curious because I was stunned that the Chrome Tour performed NOTICEABLY better than my Pro V1x Left Dash.  

Jeff D.

WITB:

Stealth Plus 10.5 w/ X-Stiff Evenflow Riptide MX 70 TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3-wood w/ Steelfiber 85g X-Stiff (F5)

Taylormade P770 (2021) w/ Dynamic Gold 120 x100

Vokey SM7 wedges 54 and 58

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

3rd Round

Sorry for the lack of entries. A few “life” issues popped up this week with my 89 year old parents. Caring for your parents gets tough as they start having problems. I was able to play Monday and Tuesday this week in between doctor appointments for them. I used the Tour Chrome only on Monday and the Chrome X only on Tuesday. Same course, same tee box

Monday – Chrome Tour:

I like this ball more everytime I play it. Equal distance to what I was getting last year with ProV and others. Exceptional control. However it does not fix really terrible swings. I lost one today on a big push right. On the positive side, it was travelling at a high rate of speed when it went into the woods!

Like I said previously, my tee shots were ending up in the same area as I always do. I have played this course hundreds of times and know my tendencies. I hit 10 of 14 fairways with the one lost ball. I am finding it easy to control this ball off the tee.

Approach shots were easy to control. Distances with irons were similar to what I am used to. I did not have to club up or club down on iron shots to compensate. 9 greens hit. I don’t spin iron or wedge shots back. I usually have one hop and stop on full shots.

No surprises around the greens. Feel on chipping and putting is softer than the ProV but firmer than the Chrome Soft. I like it very much. Chips had the roll out I wanted without grabbing too much. Putting distance was easy to control. The ball felt great off the putter (Odyssey White Hot Versa Seven S). I had 5 one-putts, all under 15ft, and 2 3-putts, each from over 50ft. It doesn’t matter what ball I used, I’d 3 putt those 9 times out of 10. All in all a very average day on the greens

SUMMARY:

I love this ball. It is extremely easy to control and has a great feel to it. My driver swingspeed is now around 95mph and this ball fits it perfectly. Great control on full shots with the driver and irons. The ball reacts the way I am used to on putts and chips. I had an instant comfort level with this ball. I didn’t have any one “wow” area with this ball, but it did everything I needed very well

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

4th Round

I was going to combine Monday’s and Tuesday’s round but it seems easier to combine them. I played Tuesday using only the Chrome X. Same course, same tee box as I played Monday with the Tour

Tuesday – Chrome Tour X:

I like this ball but it definitely feels firmer than the Tour. Clickier off the clubface, but still have a lot of control. I think this will be a great ball in warmer weather of summer, very similar to how I feel about the ProV1x. I am still playing the original ball. 3 rounds and this still looks great.

On average , my tee shots were ending up in the same area as I always do. Like I said in my last write up, I have played this course hundreds of times and know my tendencies. I hit 10 of 14 fairways again without losing a ball. This ball for me is a little more unpredictable or volatile. I hit 2 drives that were significantly longer than my average (15-20 yds), but also hit a couple spinners than dropped well short of average. I spin this ball more that the Tour. These findings are very similar to the ProV1 and ProV1x for me.

I had no issues controlling my approach shots with irons. Distances again with irons were similar to what I am used to. I did not have to club up or club down on iron shots to compensate or have any ”hot“  shots.  8 greens hit. I had my usual one hop and stop on full shots.

No real surprises around the greens. Feel on chipping and putting is firmer than the Chrome Tour but not rock hard. My chips had more spin and grabbed quicker than the Tour. I don’t play that shot usually so I ended up leaving many chips short. Putting distance was easy to control. The ball felt firm off the putter (Odyssey White Hot Versa Seven S) and had a little more run out on average than the Tour. I had 4 one-putts, all under 10ft, and 1 3-putts, from about 25 feet that got away from me and ran by about 6-7 feet. Another average day on the greens. I usually average around 33 putts a round and I’ve been right on that with both balls

SUMMARY:

I like this ball but don’t love it. I feel this ball has a lot of upside for someone with a higher swingspeed. It could be a beast in the summer off the driver. Ballflight with the irons is higher with more spin than the Tour. I don’t feel that same comfort level with the X. I had a few “WOW” drives, but also a few that spun too much and fell from the sky. I did not have the same consistency as I did with the Tour. It is a very good ball, but probably not the best for my game.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

These updates are great to read. It’s interesting that a lot of tests are showing the Chrome Tour having less spin than the Chrome Tour X. I did not see this when I tested these balls. I saw the opposite. @Derek Eskam helped me verify this in multiple sim sessions. I’m wondering if the white box I received had mis-marked balls. Anyone else get the same spin data I got with the Chrome Tour having more spin than the Chrome Tour X?
IMG_4052.jpeg.e7a4e0532beee94668004a53269b0438.jpeg

I do like both these balls though; once I played them on the course the Chrome Tour really performed. Not so much in distance compared to the Chrome Tour X, but definitely playable. 
IMG_4117.gif.ca84d0fef69d0f0d3e7c369f51a39a20.gif

I was pleasantly surprised by it. When I started this test I was looking for a ball to replace my OnCores. I think I’ve found it. I’m high on the Chrome Tour X. 
IMG_4051.jpeg.5ffdb4b5c57aa5af6feec838791354ec.jpeg

Can’t wait to read more results! Happy Birdie Hunting!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

Here's a little mid-point review. Things are looking good so far. Can't wait to give them some more knocks.

First Impressions (500 Words) (10 out of 10)

I posted on my first impressions, but here is my score.

Aesthetics (8 out of 10)

I am unsure how to score this. I am putting it at a 8, but I am not sure how I feel about that right now. I don’t love how they chose to display the ball model, in conjunction with the triple track. I REALLY like the stock ball with the chev logo. I would rather they somehow integrate the ball model into the middle line of the triple track, or put it on the opposite side. The decision they made makes the ball seem a little hastily put together. 

Model.jpg.3f342f2db62d0ba5f611f9a2b36b986d.jpg

Second, I don’t love that the number color is the same on both the Tour and Tour x. It is really hard to tell them apart quickly for testing purposes. You have to really focus on the very tiny model print to see the x. If you were always playing the same model, which most do in practice, this is a non-issue. However, There is another qualm with the red they used on the number. It is a different red than the red in the triple track. It is very noticeable. The longer I spend with the balls, the more it bothers me. I wish they would pick one red hue and stick with it. 

Color.jpg.6330bcd2327924ead7d30297ae713a83.jpg

I am only deducting 2 points, at this stage, 1 for the mismatching reds and one for the model placement. Both numbers being red I don’t think is the biggest issue. Just noticeable in testing.

Otherwise, the cover feels and reacts like premium urethane. The sound and feel I have liked so far. The Tour x is a little firmer than the Tour, but not extremely so. They both fit in between the Maxfli Tour x and the Maxfli Tour to me. The Chrome Tour x is noticeably softer feeling and sounding than the Prov1x.

The Numbers (19 out of 20)

I have only done spin and dispersion testing with a PW and 7-iron this far. Here are the results:

PW-7i_Numbers.jpg.b2a5807c43662bb4bdfe03a4d2c5ed32.jpg

I am not sure why the spin rates are so low. They are much lower than when I have used a trackman and vs my Ernest launch monitor. I have noticed that the Uneekor is consistently lower than most. Not sure if that is just their overhead system, or if it’s because it’s off a mat, which can skew spin lower, but it at least gives a reference. I also was striking the ball like absolute garbage this day and swinging quite slow, for me, so it’s really tough to judge. It took quite a few shots to get enough decent ones to get a good feel on the numbers. I will be doing this test with my Ernest as well, later in the test, after I do a long iron, lob wedge, and Driver on the Uneekor. 

All that said, the Chrome Tour x has been a consistently high spinning ball. So far, I would say the regular Chrome Tour sits in a mid spin profile. It does seem to spin lower as the clubs get longer. I worry that could dip too low for me, but we will see. They both provide plenty of spin around the green, which I highlighted in a previous post. I think I could see myself going back to a Callaway ball if the performance continues.

On The Course (? out of 20)

I can’t rate on course performance yet. The weather in Utah hasn’t allowed for me to get them outside. After I finish spin testing, I will at least do some SIM course play.

The Good, the bad, the inbetween (19 out of 20)

The good: Very durable cover. The pics below for all 5 balls were after they were used from brand new. The Titleist and Maxflis only saw one sim session with warmup,  PW and 7iron, and already have some scuffs. The Callaways have been through multiple chipping sessions, and 2 sim sessions with wedges and irons. Each have the tiniest of little nicks. Totally playable, and I am planning on using the same 2 throughout the rest of my spin testing. Both balls are high performing, compared to other high-end competitors. The Tour x seems to be especially fast so far, as well.

IMG_1898.jpeg.f31ac701f39bc14bcc1be69879b94270.jpeg

The bad: Mostly the ball model placement and color choices for the number and triple track, but YMMV.

The in-between: The numbers on both models being red.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20)

So far, the Callaway Chrome Tour line is an extremely impressive update to the Callaway ball family. If you find the right spin rates and performance for your game, these should be in consideration for anyone’s bag.

Final Score (76 out of 80 so far)

Edited by MuniGolfer

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Hello All!

Just got an email illustrating Callaway Chrome Tour and Tour X buy 3 get 1 free with free personalization! 😍 Here is the link to the website that is making the offer for anyone looking to purchase these balls.  I definitely want to myself... my issue is I'm not sure which ball to buy the Chrome Tour or the Chrome Tour X as all my testing has been done is cold weather I am struggling to see enough difference in each ball to know which one is the best ball for me!🤪

I hope this helps some of us as in my opinion, it's the only way to purchase high end quality golf balls and get them around $40/dozen vs. the usual $55-$60/dozen AND I love the free personaliztion factor too so check out the link if you're interested! 

Edit:  I just bought this exact deal from the link I pasted below from golfballs.com and it was super easy to set up an account and fill out the customization too!  Should have my Chrome Tour X customized balls by next Friday 3/8! 😍 

(paid the extra $9.95 for 3 day shipping which I thought was very reasonable to get them a whole week sooner!) 

Thanks MGS for allowing me to participate in this... I just may have found a new long term ball over the ProV1x and I'm super excited to play the Chrome Tour X!  😃

https://www.golfballs.com/Callaway-Special-Offer-Buy-3-Get-1-Free.html?utm_campaign=gmag243callawaychromesoft3and1202402&utm_content=callaway3and1landing&t=partneremail_gmag243

image.png.1ebd22426a08e30ae406240442400ef9.png

Edited by Ryan Luke

Titleist ProV1x Ball #14 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Luke said:

Hello All!

Just got an email illustrating Callaway Chrome Tour and Tour X buy 3 get 1 free with free personalization! 😍 Here is the link to the website that is making the offer for anyone looking to purchase these balls.  I definitely want to myself... my issue is I'm not sure which ball to buy the Chrome Tour or the Chrome Tour X as all my testing has been done is cold weather I am struggling to see enough difference in each ball to know which one is the best ball for me!🤪

I hope this helps some of us as in my opinion, it's the only way to purchase high end quality golf balls and get them around $40/dozen vs. the usual $55-$60/dozen AND I love the free personaliztion factor too so check out the link if you're interested! 

https://www.golfballs.com/Callaway-Special-Offer-Buy-3-Get-1-Free.html?utm_campaign=gmag243callawaychromesoft3and1202402&utm_content=callaway3and1landing&t=partneremail_gmag243

image.png.1ebd22426a08e30ae406240442400ef9.png

I have emails from both Callaway and Taylormade with the same 4 for 3 personalized balls offer! I guess there's competition to try to gain ground on Titleist with the new tour balls.

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

Callaway White Box Review 

Ball Tested: Chrome Tour Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, ProV1x, 2022 TM Tour Response and New TM TP5

HDCP - 8, Swing Speed - 90ish, Strengths - Iron Play and Putting

The "Bottom Line" of my last post was to see if I wanted to return two dozen of ProV1x. I can say that I'm not going to do that. The difference that I saw today does not make it worth the hassle, and is just a great ball.

Simulator Test - Foresight Sports GC Quad Launch Monitor: I only tested full 7 iron shots today. 

The golf balls used were a Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, ProV1x, 2022 Taylomade Tour Response and a New Taylomade TP5. Again, what Im looking for is a ball speed of 110 - 115 mph, launch angle in the 16° - 19° range, the spin rate around 5500, decent angle of 45° - 50° and a peak hight around 85' - 90'. 

I asked the question last post if you should look at the data of the best shot or the average data of shots. For a golf ball, I think the data of the best shot is probably best.

The first ball that I hit was the ProV1x, and because it was the first ball, I hit the most amount of shots with it. This ball needed to redeem itself, and it did.20240301_095655.jpg.ffae301082d0c54bda99ea16c6084001.jpg

What stood out here to me is the total spin rate and peak height. The overall performance was very good in all areas.

Next up was the CTX.20240301_100307.jpg.2f54d19b6bd1a39cef09019d8f3be0af.jpg

The last ball hit impressed me with ball speed. The total spin was also decent. It's also a good performer across the board. 

The CT was next.20240301_102842.jpg.b0e6b4fe11dd8c93a60af89fc51ba902.jpg

Check out the carry distance with this ball! That was impressive as well as the ball speed. The total spin is lacking.

The next ball is a MGS ball lab standout, and it has my favorite alignment aid - the green stripe of the 2022 TM Tour Response.20240301_102223.jpg.d25caa83512e67371392620ef2a71619.jpg

This ball is long for me off the tee, and has reall good carry distance and total distance. However, the total spin is the lowest of all balls tested.

And finally, the new TM TP5. I received a flier from Golf Galaxy in the mail. I glanced at it, and it sat in my mail pile for quite a few days. I was about to toss it out when I saw that it was an offer for a free 4 ball trial pack, so....20240301_153233.jpg.82d073e11b3a474de8783b25fb58b924.jpg

And the numbers:20240301_101528.jpg.075e2c3daa4590d4e0dd802ac5d25090.jpg

It had me at "hello"! Look at the first ball right out of the gate - really good across the board. It also felt great off the club face. It's the first thing I noticed right away. This is also the more spin, less distance model as the TP5x is claiming to be a half club longer. 👀 ...Prediction: The testers are going to LOVE this ball!

By the way, Taylomade, if you're going to give away a 4 ball pack, why not make it 2 balls of each model. I did have a choice between models, but I would loved to have a combo option.

Bottom Line: I really like the performance of both Callaway premium offerings. I want to see in the summer months how the balls perform on approach shots. Specifically, will the Total Spin numbers be noticeable in actual play?

Next Up: My Final Take

Edited by "Mr. 72"
Typo

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

Callaway Chrome Tour & X Review 

Click here for my Unboxing Post!

Notes: I am a higher spinning player so I need that low spin ball off the tee. Upon receiving the Test Balls on 2/10/2024, I embarked on an extensive evaluation both in my simulator(GC3) and during several holes on the course. Here's a detailed breakdown of my experience and I hope you all enjoy: 

First Impressions: 10 out of 10

Feel, Touch, & Taste Testing: 

Got ya, I am not tasting them you sickos!

Upon initial handling, the Test Balls felt noticeably softer compared to my usual ProV1x-(left dash) and Chrome Soft X LS. This softness translated into a pleasant but firm feel during club face contact. Driver felt decently firm but almost that perfect firm you would want off a hard swung driver.  However, if you could guess as I went through higher lofted clubs I could tell it was definitely on the firm side which I do not mind at all. But even though they felt firm the prov1x- definitely felt firmer with all clubs. 

On The Course: CT: 20 out of 20  ||  CTX: 18 out of 20 

Course Testing: During the on-course test, the test Balls revealed intriguing performance characteristics: 

-Distance:

While the overall distance was slightly more with chrome tour than my Preferred gamer balls; they kept up pretty closely. Notably, the lower spin rate with the Callaway chrome tour seemed to affect straight-line shots, resulting in a minor increase in distance. The chrome tour X spun a bit more as expected resulting in less distance. But I could tell the chrome tour X spins a ton around the green! 

-Ball Flight: 

Both test balls exhibited a mid trajectory off the tee, which I appreciated, although you could barely see the chrome tour X launching slightly higher more times than not compared to the chrome tour.  Shots requiring lower trajectories, such as those under trees, were still achievable with both.

Aesthetics (Both: 9 out of 10) 

Since golf balls pretty much all look pretty similar except for the badging I can’t go into much detail here.. Deduction: Not a fan of triple track while putting, I prefer one line to look at and I know I may get some grief since the majority of people I talk to love the triple track. 

The Numbers: CT: 20 out of 20  ||  CTX: 18 out of 20 

Simulator Test Results:

I want to start off by saying I could game any of the 4 balls I have tested, I tried my best to discard any outlier shots in the comparison data. 

BallTest_Driver.png.2993ac69d6b939a57a9dcecdc869d77f.png

Driver: 

Callaway Rogue Max LS 9 Driver was used with Ventus TR Blue 6S (Avg SS 110)

The Test Balls did meet expectations off the tee, particularly due to low spin, great launch, and dispersion patterns. 

Chrome Tour X did spin lower than expected off the tee but had the 2nd highest spin deviation next to the prov1x-. Chrome Tour X also had the straightest ball flight dispersion. 

Chrome Tour was the big winner for me since it had the highest average ball speed and its best ball speed was 2mph quicker than the 2nd best(prov1x-). It also spun low consistently even on those slight misses. I struggle turning over the ball and for some reason I could turn this ball over better.. Could be just better swings.. 

ProV1X- is my main gamer and I have noticed in the simulator that it can be inconsistent on spin. After doing this test I can really see that I can hit some low spin bombs or high spin duds. Feel for this ball with the driver definitely pops off the face which I like. 

Chrome Soft X LS is an absolute animal off the tee WHEN IT WANTS TO BE! It launches higher and spins lower. I would not game this ball on the course personally just because you may see an absolute low spin shot and if that happens to be a toe strike it will fall out of the air like a dead bird! 

BallTest_6Iron.png.efb88ddace97ae8ecc469d3904a141be.png

Irons: 

*6 iron was used no tee (mizuno mp225)

Despite the driving tests, the iron test results were pretty similar with my irons. Ball speeds were neck and neck with the chrome tour slightly besting them all. Launch and spin was the highest with the Chrome Tour X. This was really the only big difference in iron testing. High spin also resulted in about 5 yards less carry. For all the other balls the launch and spin window was super close. I would say I still lean towards the chrome tour because it feels not as firm as the others and also it launches a degree higher than prov1x- and chrome soft x ls but still achieves the same carry distances! IMPRESSIVE. 

BallTest_Wedge.png.411f8d4cf7ee821a9b09b83dd491dea1.png

Wedges: 

*52* Edison 2.0 wedge was used

The Test showcased exceptional results with all, enabling precise control over approach shots. This resulted in impressive stopping power on the greens, surpassing performance expectations. Again all of these balls are great and could be my gamers. 

-Chrome Tour X just barely lacks speed and distance compared to the other 3 balls tested.

-Chrome Tour exceeds ball speeds and still spins high with the largest carry distance.

-ProV1X- is a low flight spinner which is exceptional on those short swings.

-Chrome Soft X LS again holds its own but the spin pattern was by far the most sporadic just like the driver. 

Putting: 

The softness of the Test Balls translated well onto the greens, offering excellent feel and speed control. Putting performance possibly improved, with minimal mishaps and enhanced confidence. 

Feel during putting each ball:

Chrome Tour: solid but soft

Chrome Tour X:  seems softest

Chrome Soft X LS: Clicky

ProV1X-:  Dud blow.. Slightly clicky

Overall Impressions:

The Test Balls exceeded my expectations and really are going to make me buy some new boxes of balls ASAP! Everything was phenomenal, the exceptional spin control with irons and wedges, and driver, coupled with a superior putting feel, contributed to an overall positive experience. 

Play it or Trade it?: CT: 19 out of 20  ||  CTX: 18 out of 20 

Likes and Dislikes:

I appreciated the spin control on driver and irons as well as the exceptional putting feel. I fully know I am the minority but I do not like looking at 3 stripes when putting, I prefer a single line. So that would be my only visual complaint. I did not like how spinny the chrome tour X can be but I definitely could game it over the chrome tour if my swing path was more in to out. 

-deduction notes for CT: could have a hair more spin on wedge shots(still impressive and enough for me though)

-deduction notes for CTX: lacks a little umphhh ball speed and distance compared to my gamers, also for my game I do not need the extra spin it produces.

The Good, the bad, the in-between: CT: 19 out of 20  ||  CTX: 18 out of 20 

Good: Everything works for me with the chrome tour, this includes with all clubs in the bag. During outside testing I could tell that in typical callaway fashion the balls handle wind better. 

Bad: Chrome Tour X works but just a tad too much spin and lack of speed and distance for my game. Triple track is not pleasing to my eyes. 

Between: Both balls have the best feel off the face in an average. Putter feel you can really tell the difference. 

Target Audience: 

The Test Balls cater to players seeking lower spin rates, particularly experienced individuals capable of adjusting their game to overcome driving challenges. Novice or less advanced players may find the spin characteristics challenging to manage effectively with the chrome tour x but the chrome tour would benefit the higher spin players very well. Players with great swing paths and very positive angle of attack could run into issues with the chrome tour as it can be super low spin. I find for that particular player they would really love the slightly higher spinning chrome tour X.  

In conclusion, the Test Balls offer a compelling option for players seeking enhanced spin control and putting feel, and driving performance. The chrome tour ball lineup in my opinion is suited for players trying to fine tune their spin and I love that Callaway made the tour and tour x very similar to fine tune a golfers game. 

Cya later Titleist ProV1X- ....  Chrome Tour will be my new gamer this season! 

Final Score:

CT: 97 out of 100  ||  CTX: 91 out of 100 

Edited by TG8
Additional information 2

WITB

Does anyone know what pros are playing the Chrome Tour lineup? 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

Alright, sorry I'm so late to the party. Took a trip earlier this month, got sick when I came back, and then the weather had been pretty crap for Hawaii standards. Anyways, I've finally started my testing.

Took a sleeve of each to the practice green today for some MUCH needed short game work. I haven't read any other member reviews yet, or any of the marketing, but I'm generally familiar with the Chrome Soft family so I have a bit of an idea what each ball is going to do. Haven't had a chance to practice putting with my Link since getting it, so thanks Callaway and MGS for the motivation.

I started chipping from a variety of lies: fluffy, tight, buried and a couple of different "scenarios" utilizing different cups on the green. Practiced being semi-short sided, having room to work with to let the ball roll, green running away from me, hitting shots with my 54, and 58* when called for. To preface, I'm no chef Woozy. I got down to a 7.5 when I was playing often, but I promise it wouldn't have been as hard as it was, if I could chip and putt.

IMG_5135.jpeg.9ca6d1332a60747d8dac37641ddea088.jpeg

It's nice that all of the balls we were sent were triple-track, it makes it really hard to tell them apart and keeps the "blind" test aspect going on each shot. I first practiced blindly not knowing which ball was which, paying attention only to the results when I would retrieve them. I thought this would be a better way to tell if the ball was "for" me if it just worked well while my brain was off. When I started paying attention, I found the x to spin a touch more, checking up quicker. Not that the non-x doesn't spin, but when you nip the x off a tight lie, it'll stop quick if that's what you're into. Personally, I prefer the x when chipping, and when my brain was "off" I was getting closer, more often, with the x.

Back to triple track, I'd never tried one previously and figured now would be a great time to do so. I know it has nothing to do with the actual test but I will say that it does seem to help me with aiming, more so than the regular single line does. I found that I tend to aim a bit right of where I intend to when not using it -- might have to test it during a few rounds to see if it helps on average. Looks kinda nice eh?

IMG_5138.jpeg.a817ebdf61ff1b17b235a55d4a1060a0.jpeg

Practiced from a variety of ranges and some lag putting until I was joined by an older uncle, so I went back to 10-footers. I feel a very very slight difference when putting, mostly when I was hitting lag putts. The non-x feels a little softer and ... dense? The x is a little clickier/hollow feeling.

Practicing from 10' trying to make 6/6 before I left for the day. Before the last attempt I like to break out of my setup and realign. I feel like it puts a little more pressure on me and it forces me to go through the process instead of being pre-setup and just trying to repeat the same stroke 6 times. You can't tell from the angle but it likely would've went in if it didn't bounce off of one of the other 5 balls in the cup 😉

I could've stayed and got a better video where I look like I regularly go 6/6 but that's not authentic and also it was frickin hot and I needed to get in the AC.

Edited by yungkory

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I've posted a bunch about how these balls performed on the SIM and now I was finally able to head south and play on grass at Davis Park (after being on the SIM all winter).  Shot an 80 in the wind on my first time out in 3 months.  Thought we were going to have a nice sunny 50 degree day, but the wind decided to show up for most the round.  I felt both balls performed well (like any other ball I normally play) in the wind.  First shot off the tee I kept it low and hit a nice shot down the middle of the fairway.  Stepped up to an 80 yd shot, put it up and thought I was right on, only to have the wind take it right and drop it short of the green.  

I played the Tour on the front nine and the TourX on the back nine.  Can't really say I noticed much difference (as a good shot went well and a bad shot...well).  But one thing we did notice is that they tended to get scuffed up.  I gave balls to the other three players and only my brother actually finished the round with his ball.  And you'll see in the pictures below how his ball looked at the end of the round (pretty beat up).

BrianBall1.jpg.20597cbbacc828756edd2090ef00f747.jpgBrianball.jpg.a5fc75f10c58b5c10c735eb443bea975.jpgBrianBall2.jpg.3a11d70196ae58d145ebb9a2ca312a30.jpg

Below is a picture of one of the other players after he hit a tree!

Dornball.jpg.6f19e5b2ee77e8ceeb512d87104ae274.jpg

As I said, the balls performed just as well as the normal balls (ProV1x and Sugar Pure) that I play.  On one hole, my brother had a great drive down the left side of the fairway, so I stepped up, talked some brother smack and put one 5 yards past his ball (albeit in the left rough).  From 100 yards out, he hits one about a foot from the pin.  I step up and hit one that looked like it actually either hit the pin or rolled right around it.  Below is the picture of where our balls ended up.

BrianandScottshots.jpg.39e3525a1da9519479c0e63bff7a3549.jpg

I do love the spin and how these balls stick the green.  For winter, the greens were actually in great shape and rolling quick.  My shots were hitting the green and stopping fairly quickly and even getting a little backspin.  The feel off the putter felt great with both balls, but would have to say I putted better with the TourX (I played the Tour on the front and the TourX on the back).  My balls held up better than the rest of them with only a few nicks/scratches at the end.   Maybe I just don't hit as many trees as my playing partners 🙂  

ScottTour.jpg.bdf0bb041f970e0342649a944a594ab5.jpgScottTour1.jpg.acc335afbaa58d9fc12eac0f6fd1a243.jpgScottTourX.jpg.21c3862a91660dc59139c58b3e0ee0eb.jpg

Overall I think Callaway has done a great job at making a ball to compete with the ProV1/ProV1x.  Now if they only could keep the price down a little.  Whereas Titleist already dominates the upper end of the market, if Callaway would market these at $5 or even $10 less than ProV1's they could take away some of the market share.  To convince golfers to switch from ProV1 they need to first, get them to try the ball, and second convince them that either it's better or less expensive.  Convincing golfers that anything is better than ProV1 is a hard sell.  Titleist has done a great job at marketing and makes a great ball.  But as ball prices just continue to climb, I believe more and more golfers will be looking for a quality ball for less money.  And the Chrome Tour and TourX are right in that wheelhouse. 

If I can get back down there in a week or two I'll have to bring my PRGR launch monitor with me to get some real stats on how the balls are flying on the course. 

Below are a couple videos to show you how windy it was.  Was happy to make the long putt in the second video for birdie!

Shot below to show you the great place we get to play golf.  Still lots of snow in the mountains (and at my house), but luckily it's a little warmer and hour south.

Scottsetupgolf.jpg.79f1c621278b78df4f8cbd14cea27d40.jpg

It's been a lot of fun testing these balls and if I can get some deals on them I'll buy a bunch for a charity tournament I put on up here at Birch Creek GC.  Thanks MyGolfSpy for the opportunity to test these balls and for all the great information you provide to help us in our quest for golf "perfection" (is that even possible)!

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

Played 9 holes today with each ball. Lost the chrome tour on hole 9. I’m confident these are good balls. Here’s the approach on the first with a wedge with the CTXIMG_2812.jpeg.cb678231f0bec00ef577c4346a9bf758.jpeg

Here’s the 8 iron shot of the CTX on the 4th hole. I admittedly didn’t take many pictures. Distance was why I’d expect with a ProV1(x) or a Maxfli. I’m a fan of these balls, except I struggled with putting. Not fun. They just clunked. 
IMG_2813.jpeg.4af0169d37eb9c7cfc1d4e259498b556.jpeg

testing in a Sim tomorrow and I should be able to make my final post. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png