Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Does anyone check the loft/lie angles of their clubs after 1-2 years of use and what is normal change?

JP Balajadia

I was fitted for me TaylorMade P7MC irons (4-PW) 2 years ago at Club Champion, followed by by Cleveland Zipcore wedges (50, 56, 60) about a year ago. At the time I purchased them, they told me to bring them back any time to have the lie/loft checked on the clubs so they can be bent back to the specs we set during my fittings. After 2-years with the irons and 1-year with the wedges I took them in for the first time. I was surprised to see that the lie/loft was off through the bag by 1-2 degrees on both loft and lie (bent more upright for lie; more open for loft). There was no charge for the 25 minutes it took to measure and adjust them all - Great job Club Champion!

I play about 100 rounds per year (benefit of living in temperate Northern California is having year round golf). I practice 1-2 times per week on a grass range and very seldomly hit off of mats - the first question my fitter asked me. My clubs are kept upright in a storage locker and not banged around that much on course - I use a push cart for 90% of my rounds.

1 to 2 degrees seems like a significant change in both loft and lie. The fitter said that the forged clubs are easier to bend than cast, so it wasn’t a huge deal. I just wanted to see if anyone here:

1) checks their lie/loft of clubs, and how often

2) if so, what is the typical change in your numbers

I typically don’t think about changing my irons until 7-10 years of use; wedges I change out more often due to groove wear - I may start checking the clubs annually after seeing these numbers - is there some rule of thumb: every XX rounds you should check?

Dr: TM Stealth Plus 10.5

3W: TM Stealth

3H: TM Sim

4I - PW: TM P7MC

50/56/60: Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select 1.5

I usually check mine every season or two. I would say it all depends on where and how often you play. Use mats a lot? check them more often. Also depends on the type of golfer, those steeper may want to check them a bit more frequently. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I've had my clubs for 6 years now and have never checked them. It never even occurred to me. Really appreciate this PSA. I'll be doing this soon. 

Carter the Silver Fox

PSX_20231214_192649.jpg.aebe9fac8a381499f3eba7dcb387a3bf.jpg Ping g400 - Driver, 3w, 7w, 4h

PSX_20231214_192616.png.8617e3838f8e076e5f8589adeda429f0.png Mizuno CLK 5H/MP-18 irons

PSX_20231214_192537.png.23ec9b7c1971db968afd3a07d3b37884.png Edel wedges and putter

Since I play in Florida with the heat and I play 120+ rounds and I hit off mats, I get mine checked twice a year - it is free at Club Champion since I bought my clubs there. 
I don't check my wedges because they wear out faster than they get out of shape 
I would say to check them no less than once a year 

Driver 1:  :taylormade-small: Stealth 12 degree - Ventus Red 5-S 

Driver 2: :taylormade-small: 300 Mini Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60G Stiff (tipped to 44.5inch)

3 Wood 2: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Fujikura Pro 65-S (higher ball flight)

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Ventus Black 6-S

9 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Ventus Red 5-R

Irons: :cobra-small: King Tour 2023 - Fujikura Pro 95 Stiff - 6-9 - Fitted 

Wedges: :titleist-small: SM9 - 45-10F, 48-10F, 54-12-D, 58-12D (Testing Callaway Jaws 58-12-W)

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S - Fitted 

Balls :odin: - X1

This has been on my to-do list for a while. My irons were second hand purchase last year and I've been increasingly wanting to to a 'fit my bag' session, and part of that is checking the loft and lie for my irons to see how close to stock they are. Thanks for the PSA, it's a good reminder.

The golf training/ sim place I'm a member of does club fittings so I am going to see how much they charge (hoping checking loft and lie will be free - as I'm a paying member - but maybe that's too much to ask for).

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :titleist-small:TSR2 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix ;  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

8 hours ago, JP Balajadia said:

I was fitted for me TaylorMade P7MC irons (4-PW) 2 years ago at Club Champion, followed by by Cleveland Zipcore wedges (50, 56, 60) about a year ago. At the time I purchased them, they told me to bring them back any time to have the lie/loft checked on the clubs so they can be bent back to the specs we set during my fittings. After 2-years with the irons and 1-year with the wedges I took them in for the first time. I was surprised to see that the lie/loft was off through the bag by 1-2 degrees on both loft and lie (bent more upright for lie; more open for loft). There was no charge for the 25 minutes it took to measure and adjust them all - Great job Club Champion!

I play about 100 rounds per year (benefit of living in temperate Northern California is having year round golf). I practice 1-2 times per week on a grass range and very seldomly hit off of mats - the first question my fitter asked me. My clubs are kept upright in a storage locker and not banged around that much on course - I use a push cart for 90% of my rounds.

1 to 2 degrees seems like a significant change in both loft and lie. The fitter said that the forged clubs are easier to bend than cast, so it wasn’t a huge deal. I just wanted to see if anyone here:

1) checks their lie/loft of clubs, and how often

2) if so, what is the typical change in your numbers

I typically don’t think about changing my irons until 7-10 years of use; wedges I change out more often due to groove wear - I may start checking the clubs annually after seeing these numbers - is there some rule of thumb: every XX rounds you should check?

As a professional clubfitter and clubmaker for more than 30 years, I know the importance of proper lie angles and loft progressions that best help the golfer cover distances with consistent distance gaps from club to club.  As such, I check my own clubs and adjust the lofts and lie angles several times a year.

For my customers, I do as Club Champion does, offering free loft and lie checks and adjustments (as necessary) on a yearly basis -- more often, if the golfer feels that something has gone seriously out of built specifications.  You'd be surprised at how few people ever take advantage of this follow-up service.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

It's great to have your lofts and lies checked before the start of the season or every other year, and trust me, the cost is worth it! Luckily, I only had to get a few clubs adjusted to my original specifications. Knowing that your clubs are set just the way you like them boosts your confidence and helps you fully commit to every shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Play18

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

I have historically had mine checked every two years at a minimum. I have a steep swing angle which might cause issues with loft angle, especially with amount of practice on mats, but have found adjustments of 1 - 2 degrees on a few clubs to be needed. Last year I was fitted at CC so I plan to take advantage of having them checked annually going forward.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

I just had mine checked this past November for the first time since I was fitted for them in April 2021. I had all of them adjusted back to spec and adjustments ranged from .5° to 2°. I might just start getting them checked every season at a minimum. 

Edited by ParFore74x

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I was concerned about this with my forged Mizuno irons and how often during the season I hit off of mats. So about a year-ish after I got my irons, I took them to have the lofts checked. None of them needed to be adjusted. I was actually pretty surprised. But I'll probably check them again within the next year. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

• 2 months later...

I am a true golf junkie , trading my clubs every month or two. Thus, I bought a loft and lie machine. It allows me to adjust my gap yardage and height of shot on demand. I also just like to tinker with my set. I usually play my irons plus 1" and 1 degree up on average and do all of the work myself.

SjW