Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Thoughts on buying one year old clubs?

Hacker60521

21 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

Hello! I’ve had this thought rattling around in my head for a while and I’d really appreciate the expertise of this group.

I’m fascinated that as soon as 2024 versions of clubs come out, the “mint” and “like new” clubs from last year are significantly reduced. For example, if you go to an online used club seller, a Taylormade Stealth 2 in “mint” condition is about $100 less than a new one from PGA Superstore. Two questions for the group.

1. What are your thoughts on buying one year old “mint” or “like new” clubs?

2. Would your thoughts change on buying used if it was a driver (including fairway and hybrids), irons, or putter?

Thanks in advance!

I bought a set of the 2021 Taylormade P790's in December '22.  They were used, but in great shape and I saved a bundle!  I've been fit before and know that the length (standard for a 6.0' male) and shaft I want, so when I found the shaft on these used clubs, I picked them up.  Then, I went to my local fitter and got fit for loft/lie adjustments done and I changed out my own grips.  Huge win for me - still playing them and love them!

When buying used irons or wedges, I'd definitely recommend taking them to a fitter and getting them fit or adjusted.  If you already know the correct shaft for you - then finding them online (eBay, 2ndSwing, GlobalGolf, etc) have plenty of options.  Biggest thing is make sure they weren't cut down.

Good luck!

-- Peejer

Edited by Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

I buy used a lot of the time, especially when its "like new" or "mint". Even when it comes to a driver, if I know what shaft I need I will go find the shaft online and have it installed in the club for less money than buying a whole new custom set up. You have to know your specs to do that, but I can feel what the club feels like and see the numbers with whatever shaft is in it and know what my number look like with my needed shaft. My bag probably has an original retail value of about 4k that I spent about 2200 in total to get. 

It's absolutely the best way to get "relatively new" equipment --- get the previous year's model (already marked down) and ALSO find it very slightly used (i'm talking drivers here).  But if it's heavily used, i wouldn't touch it -- these drivers are fragile, and if someone's been beating range balls with theirs for any significant amount, that face could crack at any moment.  

Fairway woods are another story; i've never had a fairway wood crack on me.  heavily used or not, the prior generation or so is easily an awesome deal to get.

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

1) If they are the correct setup for you I say go for it. 

2) I primarily buy used clubs.  Great way to save money and get nice equipment.  Remember,  the first time you hit a club it is used.   I have a local shop that has a great supply of used clubs and takes trade ins and have bought drivers, fairways, hybrids, irons, wedges, and putters.   I have also bought used from some of the various online stores.

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I would typically go to my clubs demo days and get fit for the current equipment. Armed with my specs I would put them in a draw and wait for the next model release. Then I would hunt all the discount golf store websites and pick up the item for half the original price. Still new in the wrapper.

I let someone else take the hit if I’m getting used. But I only purchased from reputable companies like Callaway Pre owned or something like that.

But make sure what you are getting fits you and your swing. I was fit in the past to standard lengths, lies and stiff flex. Those days are gone and now with a quality fitting I’m plus 1/2”, 1-1/2 degree flat and regular flex. So hunting for one year left over equipment got harder. Adding a shaft extension and adjusting the lie is always an option for me. I just hate spending thousands of dollars on equipment. Plus having five plus sets sitting around makes it even harder to justify the want because It’s definitely not a need.

Wise words of wisdom from @cnosil and @Tom the Golf Nut  Best case: You can save yourself considerable dollars on good equipment provided you know your specs or what works well for you. Worst case: If it doesn’t work, you usually can sell it and break even.  

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

22 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

Hello! I’ve had this thought rattling around in my head for a while and I’d really appreciate the expertise of this group.

I’m fascinated that as soon as 2024 versions of clubs come out, the “mint” and “like new” clubs from last year are significantly reduced. For example, if you go to an online used club seller, a Taylormade Stealth 2 in “mint” condition is about $100 less than a new one from PGA Superstore. Two questions for the group.

2. Would your thoughts change on buying used if it was a driver (including fairway and hybrids), irons, or putter?

Thanks in advance!

It can depend on the brand but here in NE Ohio a few local golf shops drop prices on left over new sets. When the LTDx line came out from Cobra the prices for their Radspeed irons dropped about due the manager discounts. However, I was able to find a set for $499. I’m not opposed to clubs with mint or like new. Even the term “very good” from places like global golf is pretty close to like new, and you can find discounts week to week from them. I picked up this Stealth 2 5 wood from them labeled very good. Depends on what you’re looking for. 

Resized_20240205_190504.jpeg

Resized_20240205_190517.jpeg

Resized_20240205_190530.jpeg

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

I have zero issues with buying "like new" clubs FROM REPUTABLE SELLERS.  I have been a big fan of www.callawaygolfpreowned.com and have bought "like new" wedges, putter, and multiple fairway woods from them.  They also list their clubs on eBay.  I just have never bought irons from them...yet.  Their "like new" has always been pristine.

I would recommend staying away from some stuff on eBay as there is A TON of counterfeiters out there.  I do not trust anyone on eBay selling driver shafts as it is super easy to buy a premium shaft only to find out later (when you replace the grip and see what was underneath the grip tape) that it was a repainted $10 shaft made in China.  Sure enough, I found a manufacturerer in China that counterfeitted shafts and they would have sold the counterfeits to me in bulk.

I bought GolfPride iron grips once only to find that they were fake.  As soon a a drop of solvent touched the Golf Pride logo, it ran. 

There are several YouTube videos showing how good counterfitters are making things look. I am not saying everything is counterfeit, but, buyer beware. 

WITB?

Vessel Player III golf bag

:callaway-logo-1: Callaway AI Smoke MAX driver with a Tour AD shaft

:callaway-logo-1: Callaway Paradym 3, 7 and 9 woods

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Pro irons with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

:titleist-small: Titleist Vokey SM9 wedges

:bettinardi-1: Bettinardi Queen B #15 putter

:Arccos:

This is the way.

Nothing wrong with buying previous years models, or used clubs in general. This game is expensive enough, save yourself hundreds of dollars by buying one year old equipment. New is new, a driver isn't going to expire sitting on the shelf.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I was watching James Robinson on YouTube yesterday who purchased a Taylormade M1. That club is old. He and his buddy hit their drives as far as they were hitting their new drivers. I looked up a 2nd hand M1 on 2nd Swing Golf used. There were many. Most between $189-289 depending on condition. Most were in average to below average condition. If you find a used club in the right condition that fits you and you like it, go for it.

Bassbeamer 

Lots of great comments in here. Used gear is the way I go as well to save money, I know what brands/shafts/flexes work for my swing based on past fittings and experience and that's what I'll look for.

You can almost never go wrong with Callaway Pre-Owned. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 minutes ago, Bassbeamer said:

I was watching James Robinson on YouTube yesterday who purchased a Taylormade M1. That club is old. He and his buddy hit their drives as far as they were hitting their new drivers. I looked up a 2nd hand M1 on 2nd Swing Golf used. There were many. Most between $189-289 depending on condition. Most were in average to below average condition. If you find a used club in the right condition that fits you and you like it, go for it.

Also at 2nd Swing sort by condition and price low to high. Depending on when the club or clubs were traded in and what they gave for the trade you can find the items cheaper and in the same condition or better than some of the clubs with higher price tags! 

Edited by Wib081

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

22 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

Thanks in advance!

As long as I can get the clubs in my fitting I have no problem buying older clubs. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

In the past I have purchased the previous years model because typically there isn't much technology change from year to year and the savings allows me to upgrade the shaft if needed.  Like another post stated, a lot of times there is still plastic on the head showing it was never hit because of being in a pro shop or sitting on a shelf.  Most of the time, money well spent on a upgraded shaft is more than you get from the head itself unless it has been a while since new/updated clubs.  I typically will change irons & wedges every 3 years and Driver/woods every 5.

In my opinion, the clubs that are worth the "new" price tags are the wedges.  I always purchase new because I practice a lot around the greens and from bunkers so the grooves are worn down enough to make a difference in that time.  They are still very playable, I just notice a difference in the ball flight and spin.  Now, it isn't a great amount but when I am playing in tournaments the difference in yardage and spin could be clearing a hazard and stopping or missing the green altogether.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver 9*

:callaway-small: Mavrik 3 Metal

:callaway-small: Mavrik 5 Metal

:mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal 5-Gap

:callaway-small: 54* Sand Wedge

:callaway-small: 60* Lob Wedge

:scotty-small: Scotty Phantom 5.5 Putter

Golfer BG

Outside of my Irons all my clubs were bought the year or two after. I needed a 3 wood so I looked up the previous years 3W reviews and ended up getting mine for like 185, it's even cheaper now. I don't think club technology changes so much that finding a club that is somewhat recent at a steal is just a smart move. 

Like a lot of people said make sure it's to your specs. Irons or wedges I'd at least go and do a lie and loft fitting after that fact. Woods drivers at a minimum get the right shaft for you desires ball flight and swing speed.

Ian Lydon

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9.5

3W: Cobra LTDx

3H: Callaway XR 16 Pro

Irons: Titleist T100 (2023) PW-6, Titleist T200 (2023) 5-4

Wedges: Sub 70 (52 and 58 Tester)

Putter: Ping Anser G2

I can answer for the club manufacturers...

ABSOLUTELY NOT! YOU HAVE TO BUY BRAND NEW!!! 🤣

I'm with the rest here - as long as they are your specs, in good shape and you hit them well, why not save some money for a set that is a year or two old? I have a buddy who is about a 4 hdcp and he actually connected with a guy on ebay that had a set of year old 790's to his exact specs. I think he paid $700 for them and loves them.

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Tour 65 Stiff Shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

image.png

I'd say it's a great way of saving some cash on some new to you clubs. As long as when you test them the length and fit work for you then it's a great idea.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Last fall, for the first time in 2 decades, the wife game me permission to buy "new" clubs through the whole bag.  My 50th birthday was coming up and it was time! First, I took part in a free Callaway fitting at my golf course.  They put me through my paces with the new Paradigms and Big Berthas.  When we were done, the guy gave me all of my specs for the heads and shafts, but then told me that if I wanted to save a lot of money, go to my local golf store and look at the previous year's Rogue ST models.  He said there would not be much of a difference. (Historically, drivers only gain about 1% distance per year)  I did, liked them a lot, and bought the Driver and 5W, 4H-5H, and 6I-AW.  I also purchased "new" but a few models old Cleveland wedges, and the previous year's Odyssey White Hot OG 7S.  Altogether, I was able to outfit an entirely new bag for around $2500 when it would have been closer $4000 for the current year's models.  It was money well spent.  I gained about 20 yards on the driver, about a club to club and a half throughout the rest of the bag, and dropped from a 10 handicap to a 6 in just two months.  

Driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, 6I - 9I, PW, AW:  Callaway Rogue ST Max

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Satin Low, 54* Black High, 50* Raw Mid

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot OG 7S 

Balls:  Pro-V1 from March - October

Supersoft from November - February

Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart circa 2004

Let's face it golf clubs are expensive and any savings you can derive are worth it! Some of my all-time favorite clubs were purchased on ebay years after their launch!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I have always bought a year old or used set. I can get a much better club for the money.   irons and putters don't just wear out after a few uses.  I have also bought used woods and so far have never had any negative issues with them.

Paul Mitcham

23 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

Thanks in advance!

awesome question! infact I just bought my 3 wood used the tsi2, but not to sound redundant like most people here it also comes down to wether it's a good fit for you or not. no need to buy new these days especially when gear from last year is still great. but always always get fitted. that's how I know exactly what I needed to get or at least which numbers I needed to see etc; launch, spin, smash, decent angle , ball speed etc. 

HOWEVER: if you want the new new bro treat yourself lol.. 

Jlo

I do this regularly. First, rarely is there a quantum leap in functionality of clubs from year to year, notwithstanding Manufacturer’s ads. Two, much like cars, when you take that newest best driver out of the store you’ve just lost $100+. Consequently, I’m a big fan of “certified pre owned” concept for golf clubs. In many cases you can get “shop worn” clubs that are still in the plastic. But as many have said, pre owned is only great if that club actually fits your game. 

I rarely buy current year new clubs.  With eBay, FB Marketplace, the Classified section of this forum, etc, it is relatively easy to find used clubs in mint or like new condition.  It is considerably less expensive to purchase used clubs versus the current year models.  The key is to know exactly what you want and then begin your search.  Like any online shopping, be wary, but using a service such as PayPal for your purchase adds protection against fraudulent sellers.  I recently purchased a Scotty Cameron putter in like new condition and saved $150 compared to the new retail price.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

My clubs are a mix of golfworks clubs I’ve built, and used clubs.I think it is insane to buy brand new clubs when 1-4 year old clubs are as good/better. Nothing has beaten out my Sim driver. It’s my second, my first broke. I got the first for $250, the second for $120. 
Callaway preowned and global golf are my go to places

Driver: Sim 9*, ventus blue 6R

3 wood: Srixon ZX

Hybrids: Srixon ZX 3H and 4H

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5-GW (5 iron with UST Recoil F3; 6-GW, Nippon 950h reg)

Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52* and 58*, 52* Nippon 950GH, & 58* TT90

Putter: Odyssey Versa 12

Ball: Srixon Zstar

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5

Even though I play a Taylormade driver , their claims from year to year is. “ another 10 yards” . Eventually, even an idiot can realize that we aren’t hitting our drivers 300 yard yet ( well most of us normal folk)! So now everyone (OEMs)has now bowed out of the distance arena and entered into the forgiveness fad . What I am getting at if we focused more on hitting better shots , putting , improving our short game and the basic fundamentals of the swing , you would probably be surprised at how little the new and improved toys have little effect on you!

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Absolutely into buying used clubs, bought my driver "used" and it still had the plastic on from CPO. Have even bought an "average" rate club from CPO and it was pretty good, couple skymarks but doesn't bother me.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I'd be OK with a year-old club.  My present set is more than a few years old and in bad need of replacement.  Everything in my set is custom-fitted so I'd have the data on hand to see how much of a difference there would be.  I can live with, say, 3 or 4 yards or 100-200 rpm if the year-old club would save me a reasonable amount of money (read more than $100).

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2