Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are Velocore shafts that good?

Just bought the Cobra Darkspeed and love the distance, but am thinking of taking a chance of swapping out the stock stiff shaft (lin-q) for a Velocore, but they are pricey. Anybody have good/bad experience or advice to share?

WITB:

DRIVER; COBRA Darkspeed 9.0 DEGREE STIFF Lin-q WHITE 65 GRAMS

3 WOOD; Callaway Paradym Smoke AI 15 DEGREE STIFF TENSAI AV blue 70 GRAMS

HYBRID: CALLAWAY 24 APEX UW 19 DEGREE STIFF MMT 70 GRAMS

IRONS; 4-GW MIZUNO PRO 223 STIFF AEROFLEX STEELFIBER i110 CW

MID WEDGE; MIZUNO T22 BLUE ION 54/08 D GRIND SHAFT DG WEDGE

LOB WEDGE; MIZUNO T22 DENIM COPPER 60/06 X GRIND SHAFT DG S300

PUTTER; EDEL EAS 1.0

11 minutes ago, Old Justice said:

Just bought the Cobra Darkspeed and love the distance, but am thinking of taking a chance of swapping out the stock stiff shaft (lin-q) for a Velocore, but they are pricey. Anybody have good/bad experience or advice to share?

Shafts are designed for players swings.  There are multiple versions the the Ventus shafts (Black, Blue, Red) which have different profiles to work for different golfer.   There are people that think they are great and people that don't think they are great for their swings.    To find out if it works for you would require you to actually try them. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Old Justice said:

There is a ton of tour validation so they have that going for them. That being said every swing is different. If you can attempt to swing one prior that would be the best thing to do before committing to the purchase. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have a Ventus TR Blue in my TSi3 and really like the feel and stability of the shaft. That being said, it is a large investment to make without swinging one first. As others have stated, I would definitely recommend finding somewhere that you could do a shaft fitting, or at the very least, compare the specific model you're looking at against the Lin-Q. That would give you an idea of whether or not there's an acute performance benefit on something like dispersion or helping to eliminate a certain miss, or if the feel is significantly better or what you are looking for and if that in turn is worth the price. Like @cnosil said, there are three different profiles within the Ventus line and all will perform and feel slightly different. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I have tried out the red, blue and black.  I like the blue for my swing and desired ball flight. 

I agree with everyone that it would prob be worth it to do a fitting even if at a big box store and try out different ones to see what works best for you. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I have a velocore. It’s a good shaft, but for around $100 I tried the Steadfast Jupiter 1. I’ve played it and love it. I have 4 now. https://steadfastgolf.com/products/shaft
Also a few of us (me included) are trying the Newton shaft. https://newtonshafts.com/ 
I'm trying them out now. 
IMG_4078.jpeg.5dae75ee397f2697bdaebba0024ecbd4.jpeg

I’m waiting on the 4 Dot shaft which will arrive tomorrow. I’ve tried the 5 and 6 dot. The 6 is very stiff. I’m liking the 5, have tried the 4 only in the sim. Newton wants me to try it on the course so they sent it back to me with a midsize grip. Below is our discussion on it. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

I recently upgraded to the Ventus Blue. During my fitting I was getting decent numbers with a stock option (Tensei White). The fitter asked if I wanted to try some upgrade shafts and figured why not. Initially tried the black but the ball flight was way too low so we tried the blue and my distance went up and dispersion was noticeably better. After playing it on the course for a few rounds I have no regrets. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

2 hours ago, Old Justice said:

As others have said, it's best to get fit when spending that much $$ on a shaft. I didn't.lol. But I got lucky. I'd done a fair bit of reading up and watching reviews to understand the different profiles and characteristics. I bought used from a local guy and got a good price. I figured if I didn't like it I would be able to sell for close to what I paid.

I have the Ventus TR Blue 6X velocore shaft in my driver and love it. I switched from a HZRDUS Black 6.5 x-stiff. My club head speed with driver is in the 106-112mph range. I tend to stick to 106-108mph on course, but have been working on getting a little faster to make 110mph+ a comfortable cruising driver speed. I have a fairly slow and smooth back swing. A couple of fitters have said I'm deceptively quick on CHS, but my swing tempo means I don't need the profile of the HZRDUS or Ventus Black necessarily. The profile of the Ventus blue (mid bend point vs high in black 6x and mid launch/low spin vs low/low in black) suits what I was looking for.

I bought the shaft last fall and have only played a couple of outdoor rounds with it. I have, however, practiced on sim a lot and did some swapping between new and old shafts to check it wasn't all placebo and in my head. I find I have better control of club face angle at impact and less club head twist in off-center strike. That's what it feels like anyway and I'm hitting straighter and more consistently.

I've done the free driver fittings at Golf Galaxy recently for Taylormade, Callaway and Cobra. Each time I tried a variety of stock and premium/ upgrade shafts with the new clubs and for the Callaway fitting I also tried x-stiff Ventus TR black and red (and different blue) with my current driver to see if there was a model that felt better and gave me better results. Turns out the Blue 6X is a great fit for me right now. Phew!

Congrats on the new Cobra. They're lovely looking clubs and I got on really well with the LS. Just wasn't enough of an improvement over my driver to warrant a change.

Good luck if you decide to test out some Ventus driver shafts!

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

6 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

As others have said, it's best to get fit when spending that much $$ on a shaft. I didn't.lol. But I got lucky. I'd done a fair bit of reading up and watching reviews to understand the different profiles and characteristics. I bought used from a local guy and got a good price. I figured if I didn't like it I would be able to sell for close to what I paid.

I have the Ventus TR Blue 6X velocore shaft in my driver and love it. I switched from a HZRDUS Black 6.5 x-stiff. My club head speed with driver is in the 106-112mph range. I tend to stick to 106-108mph on course, but have been working on getting a little faster to make 110mph+ a comfortable cruising driver speed. I have a fairly slow and smooth back swing. A couple of fitters have said I'm deceptively quick on CHS, but my swing tempo means I don't need the profile of the HZRDUS or Ventus Black necessarily. The profile of the Ventus blue (mid bend point vs high in black 6x and mid launch/low spin vs low/low in black) suits what I was looking for.

I bought the shaft last fall and have only played a couple of outdoor rounds with it. I have, however, practiced on sim a lot and did some swapping between new and old shafts to check it wasn't all placebo and in my head. I find I have better control of club face angle at impact and less club head twist in off-center strike. That's what it feels like anyway and I'm hitting straighter and more consistently.

I've done the free driver fittings at Golf Galaxy recently for Taylormade, Callaway and Cobra. Each time I tried a variety of stock and premium/ upgrade shafts with the new clubs and for the Callaway fitting I also tried x-stiff Ventus TR black and red (and different blue) with my current driver to see if there was a model that felt better and gave me better results. Turns out the Blue 6X is a great fit for me right now. Phew!

Congrats on the new Cobra. They're lovely looking clubs and I got on really well with the LS. Just wasn't enough of an improvement over my driver to warrant a change.

Good luck if you decide to test out some Ventus driver shafts!

Funny you mention the hzdrus black. That was my gamer shaft in my previous driver.  I think that’s why my fitter thought the Ventus black would have been a good fit.

I think the club head itself plays a part too. I did a demo day with Taylormade the day after my fitting with PXG and was fit into the standard Qi 10 with the TR Black 6S tipped an inch but went with the PXG with the Ventus Blue 6X. Just felt so much smoother. Both felt way better than the hzdrus though. 

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

1 hour ago, Erin B said:

I have a velocore. It’s a good shaft, but for around $100 I tried the Steadfast Jupiter 1. I’ve played it and love it. I have 4 now. https://steadfastgolf.com/products/shaft
Also a few of us (me included) are trying the Newton shaft. https://newtonshafts.com/ 
I'm trying them out now. 
IMG_4078.jpeg.5dae75ee397f2697bdaebba0024ecbd4.jpeg

I’m waiting on the 4 Dot shaft which will arrive tomorrow. I’ve tried the 5 and 6 dot. The 6 is very stiff. I’m liking the 5, have tried the 4 only in the sim. Newton wants me to try it on the course so they sent it back to me with a midsize grip. Below is our discussion on it. 

Purple.  Hmmmm😇😂😂😂

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

1 minute ago, billpierce said:

Purple.  Hmmmm😇😂😂😂

Yeah, it’s actually pretty cool and the color changes at different angles like iridescent.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

For me, going to the Velocore (and the $350CAD increase) vs the Tensei AV Blue Limited 6R for myQi10Max Driver just wasn't worth the price.  It was a bit better in speed and feel, but not enough to warrant the additional cost and spousal disapproval! That's not a reflection on the shaft, that's just the reality of my particular swing. The Tensei was just as solid and consistent for me.  The Velocore added an average of 2mph on club head speed and 3yds in distance vs the Tensei. Dispersion was similar, with a bit better fore/aft grouping consistency.  

As others have said, if you can swing one before purchasing, that would be ideal.  

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

Ventus blue (velocore) OG in my SIM2 3 wood. 

I’ve never played a fairway wood that has as tight a dispersion as this one. I am pro-velo. 

On Friday I have a Speeder NX Blue arriving for my TSi3. I went back and forth between Ventus and Speeder for this club and at the end of the day, I was more interested in the VTC variable torque core. I’ll be posting a review but also welcome any thoughts that @funkyjudge has on the NX line. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

There’s probably as many golfers who tried, played and moved on from ventus shafts that are still playing them.

There are no bad shafts, just bad fits for the golfer 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Ventus blue (velocore) OG in my SIM2 3 wood. 

I’ve never played a fairway wood that has as tight a dispersion as this one. I am pro-velo. 

On Friday I have a Speeder NX Blue arriving for my TSi3. I went back and forth between Ventus and Speeder for this club and at the end of the day, I was more interested in the VTC variable torque core. I’ll be posting a review but also welcome any thoughts that @funkyjudge has on the NX line. 

I have much less experience with the Speeder NX Blue (or the Speeder NX Green) than I do with the Ventus VeloCore and Ventus TR shafts. However, I have fitted a few golfers into the Speeder NX Blue. The profile of the NX Blue is remarkably close to the original Ventus Blue with VeloCore, but with slightly higher torque (yes, I know that the Speeder NX shafts have the proprietary “variable torque core” or VTC). I have hit the Speeder NX Blue in a 6S and I found it to have a slightly smoother or just a hair “livelier” feel than the original Ventus Blue, and the Speeder NX Blue launched the ball a bit higher.  The Speeder NX Blue also doesn’t feel quite as stiff in the butt section as any of the Ventus VeloCore shafts, either the first generation or the TR (I have not yet hit the new Ventus Plus shaft).

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

5 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I have much less experience with the Speeder NX Blue (or the Speeder NX Green) than I do with the Ventus VeloCore and Ventus TR shafts. However, I have fitted a few golfers into the Speeder NX Blue. The profile of the NX Blue is remarkably close to the original Ventus Blue with VeloCore, but with slightly higher torque (yes, I know that the Speeder NX shafts have the proprietary “variable torque core” or VTC). I have hit the Speeder NX Blue in a 6S and I found it to have a slightly smoother or just a hair “livelier” feel than the original Ventus Blue, and the Speeder NX Blue launched the ball a bit higher.  The Speeder NX Blue also doesn’t feel quite as stiff in the butt section as any of the Ventus VeloCore shafts, either the first generation or the TR (I have not yet hit the new Ventus Plus shaft).

This is really good info, thank you!

It also makes sense…while Fujikura won’t say the NX replaces the evolution it does make me wonder how similar they play…especially with the similar feel that you’ve described as smoother and livelier…something the Evolution is known for  

Thats enough on the NX  😊

Back to the Ventus!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

You should go to PXG and take their black ops challenge. They don't want their driver to be beat and will try out a lot of shafts to see if the black ops outperforms your Cobra. If it doesn't then you also have made yourself $100. The only downside would be if it outperforms the Cobra...

I had a fitting with PXG and tried out the stock offerings and other upgrade offerings. It was only when the fitter had me try a 7x Ventus Black that the club worked magic in my hands! I know it's not for everyone and like others have stated it's best to get fit for the right shaft.

Edited by LeftyScratchGolfer

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 5 7.5 Ventus Black X-Stiff

Woods: PXG 0311 Gen 5 4 wood Ventus Black X-Stiff, PXG 0311 Gen 5 3 hybrid Ventus Black X-Stiff

Irons: PXG Gen 5 0311 T 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5, 52, 56, 60 Sugar Daddy II Wedges Project X LZ 6.5

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 Max Accra White shaft

12 minutes ago, LeftyScratchGolfer said:

You should go to PXG and take their black ops challenge. They don't want their driver to be beat and will try out a lot of shafts to see if the black ops outperforms your Cobra. If it doesn't then you also have made yourself $100. The only downside would be if it outperforms the Cobra...

I had a fitting with PXG and tried out the stock offerings and other upgrade offerings. It was only when the fitter had me try a 7x Ventus Black that the club worked magic in my hands! I know it's not for everyone and like others have stated it's best to get fit for the right shaft.

This! I did it when they did the gen 6 for no other reason to hit the Gen 6 for free. Got to try all the upgrade shafts which was fun. Fitters know most people that do this aren't going to but a driver even though Gen 6 won like 93% of the time. 

On 2/29/2024 at 3:28 PM, BreakfastBall15 said:

This! I did it when they did the gen 6 for no other reason to hit the Gen 6 for free. Got to try all the upgrade shafts which was fun. Fitters know most people that do this aren't going to but a driver even though Gen 6 won like 93% of the time. 

Thanks for the info! That sounds like a great idea, and as England is pretty much under water at the moment (my course is heathland on the famed Surrey sand belt so considered ultra rain resistant - yet has been closed for the last three days😩), a visit to a PXG fitter sounds perfect. I only hope it doesn’t thrash the Darkspeed or my wife might kill me😂

WITB:

PUTTER; EDEL EAS 1.0

Thanks for the info! That sounds like a great idea, and as England is pretty much under water at the moment (my course is heathland on the famed Surrey sand belt so considered ultra rain resistant - yet has been closed for the last three days😩), a visit to a PXG fitter sounds perfect. I only hope it doesn’t thrash the Darkspeed or my wife might kill me😂

I hear ya on that. Every time I order anything golf related I mentally prepare myself for my wife to be mad at me. 

If that does happen, with the dark speed being so new you might be able to get near what you paid for it so there’s that. Good luck and let me know what you think!

1 hour ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

I hear ya on that. Every time I order anything golf related I mentally prepare myself for my wife to be mad at me. 

If that does happen, with the dark speed being so new you might be able to get near what you paid for it so there’s that. Good luck and let me know what you think!

Thanks Bud, will update when I give it a go when the ground in England resurfaces above the water. Blooming rain, you’d think we’d be used to it😩

WITB:

PUTTER; EDEL EAS 1.0