Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

wedge question

skihippy

Hey guys I am looking to change my set and have been looking at getting a titleist SM4 to replace a set PW. My question is it OK to get a 48/10 and have the loft adjusted to 46. I know it will is exact difference between loft and bounce, but the wedges they sell are 46/08 anyway. So is there any difference?

48 degree's are just a lot easier to find!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I've had 2 degree loft adjustments done before and haven't had problems. FYI, if you're dealing with an authorized dealer, they should be able to order you a 46/8 easily.

When you adjust the loft you adjust the bounce. So if you buy and 48/10 and have it bent to 46 you will have something pretty close to a 46/8 anyway - I'd ask that they grind it off a bit. By the way it goes the other way if you have it bent open - if you went to 49 you'd add bounce.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I really don't like closing my wedges. I'm ok with opening them, but I really don't do that much either. I am very particular about the bounce and the sole grinds of my wedges. I buy them to be the way I want them. Closing them down for me is the worst thing you can do to a wedge, it just begs me to stick that leading edge under the grass and into the turf.

My advice would be to buy specifically what you want even if you have to order it, wait, and pay a bit more before buying a new one and having it closed.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Hey guys I am looking to change my set and have been looking at getting a titleist SM4 to replace a set PW. My question is it OK to get a 48/10 and have the loft adjusted to 46. I know it will is exact difference between loft and bounce, but the wedges they sell are 46/08 anyway. So is there any difference?

48 degree's are just a lot easier to find!!!

Vokey makes a 46.08 wedge now in the SM4 it is listed on their website, you might have to special order it but it's available. http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/wedges/spin-milled-sm4.aspx

Just the FYI however if you were to get a 48.10 or 48.06 at the bottom of this document it has the bending allowances for different finishes --> http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/pdfs/US/2011/2011_Fall_SM4.pdf

Loft is +/- 1* on Black Nickle and Tour Chrome... The Oil can is +/- 2* in the SM4 model

If you do bend a iron or wedge strong it will reduce the bounce roughly by the same amount... So 48.10 in Oil Can bent to 46* will have roughly 08* of bounce, opposite would be true for making a club play weaker 46.06 into a 48* would turn into a 48.08 roughly

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Didn't I just say that?

I am with everyone in regards to not liking to close a wedge - I closed my 6 iron 2 degrees and my 7 1 for distance gap purposes but that's way different than a wedge.

I just was responding to the original post and wanted Skipphy to be aware that there are side effects to opening and closing wedges.

I view this sight as a crucial place for finding out about those side effects and a variety of other things that momma never told us about.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks guys, I just bit the bullet and ordered the 46.08 SM4 from Golfdiscount.com, the discount we get from this sight really helped out.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

cool

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived