Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

How Do You Use Your Wedges?

GolfSpy_KFT

Wedge play is one of the more fascinating aspects of golf to me. With the numerous types of shots you can make with different wedges, it allows for some creativity to shine through from player to player. 

As no two individuals are the same in terms of play style, I want to know how you utilize your wedges? Are there certain shots you'll only attempt with a specific club? Do you have a wedge that is a jack of all trades? Which one is your go to when you have to stick an approach close to save par?

Let's hear it, spies! What wedges do you carry and how do you use them?

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

Wedge play is one of the more fascinating aspects of golf to me. With the numerous types of shots you can make with different wedges, it allows for some creativity to shine through from player to player. 

As no two individuals are the same in terms of play style, I want to know how you utilize your wedges? Are there certain shots you'll only attempt with a specific club? Do you have a wedge that is a jack of all trades? Which one is your go to when you have to stick an approach close to save par?

Let's hear it, spies! What wedges do you carry and how do you use them?

SMB7 52, 56, 60 Degree Wedges.

Full Swings / 3/4 Swing / Half Swing:

52 Degree - 125 /115/85

56 Degree - 105/95/75

60 Degree - 90/80/65

65 and less is typically a feel with a 52 degree. Short-sided in rough or bunker 56 degree/60 degree.

"Like moss on a Mississippi tree stump" Michael Scott

pretty basic with wedge/short game.  I move ball position to control height and don’t manipulate the face very much.  
4 wedges:

• Set PW - used for full swings and partial wedge shots.
  • set GW - used fior full swings and partial wedge shots 
  • Vokey 54/12 - used for full shots, bunker, partial wedges.  Typically square faced and don’t open it up much.  
  • Vokey 60/8 - lives in the bag. 

while not wedges I used most of my clubs around the green chipping.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I currently don't use any of my wedges full swing unless digging out of the deep rough. Haven't practiced that part of my game with them. My personal favorite wedge is my 52° as it can do it all from half swing and down. I am very comfortable with the versatility in that wedge from the sand, rough, or fairways. My 56/60 I bring out when I need a quick & short chip or a good flop but that is much more rare than where I find use in my 52°. And my 48° honestly sees minimal use, haven't found a good spot in my game for it quite yet. 

Also, great topic! Love wedge talk 📐

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

PW is the 45 deg Ping I 500, set., from 100 yards.  (I am old).  Then a Mizu, the S18, 52 x 9.  From 80 yards in, my best club.  Another Mizu, a T7, 60 x 6, from 25 yards in, but only if I have to go over stuff.

My CHIPPER is where I am different.  I don't use a wedge near the fringe unless I have to.  I have a 60 year old Don Martin Up-n-In bronze chipper with 25 degree loft.  The sooner you get the ball on the ground, the less chance of a bad result, so 25 deg is easier to control than 58 or 60 deg around the green.  I give up a long shaft in my bag to make room for it.

Sand is another oldie, an original Hogan Sure Out, 56 x 12.  The sole is bigger than a 460 cc driver😁 and heavier than a EV pickup truck.   I am on my 2nd onet.  It might not be the most accurate, but it gets me out almost every time with the type of sand at my local, Oceanside (CA) Muni.

When the 52 deg Mizu wears down, I will try a fittiing for a 50 degree Indi Golf wedge, their home is 10 minutes away.  I want to close the 20 yard gap between my 45 PW and 52 Mizu.

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5; Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7; Sand: old 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, heavy sole, Apex shaft.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

Cobra King Tour set PW - used for full swings. 115-yard club

Cobra King Tour set GW - used for full swings and partial wedge shots and all chip shots. 100-yard club

Cobra Snake Bite 54* - used for full shots, longer bunker shots.  Square faced.  85-yard club

Cobra Snake Bite 60* - used for short sided pin placements from the bunker, good lie in the grass for 60 yards or less that the ball needs to sit where it lands. Like having to hit over a trap to a tight pin location. Square faced. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

T200 PW - used generally for full swings 118 to 129 yds 

Callaway 48 degree 10/S - Jaws Raw - Full, chip (30 to 40yds) & pitch shots. Full swings 100 to 118 yds

Vokey SM9 54/ 12D wedge - 85 to 100 yds - full, chip (from 20yds to 35 yd chipping) & sand shots

Vokey SM9 58/ 08M wedge - 55 to 85 yds - full, chip (max 20yd chips) & sand shots.  This club is used most often for sand shots.  For fluffy sand shots, I'll use the 54-degree.  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

9 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

I currently don't use any of my wedges full swing unless digging out of the deep rough. Haven't practiced that part of my game with them. My personal favorite wedge is my 52° as it can do it all from half swing and down. I am very comfortable with the versatility in that wedge from the sand, rough, or fairways. My 56/60 I bring out when I need a quick & short chip or a good flop but that is much more rare than where I find use in my 52°. And my 48° honestly sees minimal use, haven't found a good spot in my game for it quite yet. 

Also, great topic! Love wedge talk 📐

Similar boat. PW is the only one I use for full shots. Stock is about 130 but can use it anywhere from 140 to 120. Anything between that and 80 I’m kinda stuck. Don’t like doing full swings with any other wedges and something I need to work on. Prefer the 55 in the bunker and adding the green and the 60 for flop shots or when I need to get it up in the air fast

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I had a great save today with the Lob Wedge. When I got home from golf, I pitched my wallet into the tray by the door and missed. It bounced behind the TV. I grabbed my 60° and scooped it right out of there without moving furniture. Does that count? 

Edited by RoverRick

:callaway-small: Paradym 12° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:taylormade-small: SIM TI 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on Graphite Design AD DI 7S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Mostly, it is wind dependent. There are only 3-4 clubs in my bag I hit max effort, driver, 3w and hybrids. And usually just the driver on certain holes. So when I say full, I do not mean maximum speed.

Let’s say I’m 125 yards from the flag. I am much more likely to go under a tree with a bump and run 6 iron than try to hit a pitching wedge 125. 

Club-Full-3/4-1/2

7-155-140-130

8-140-124-115

9-128-115-95

P-113-100-85

G-100-85-70

S-88-75-60

L-less than 60

These are feels or just baseline numbers. If I have a 93 yard shot, I am most likely to grab the gap wedge and think “that’s 85, that’s 100, so about here.” 

I can add a few yards by moving it back and trapping it, or subtract a few yards by moving it forward and “cutting the balls legs off”. 

While I do this with the 54° & 60° most often, I use “trail side feels” to determine how far to hit the ball. Ankle, shin, knee, thigh, belt, ribs, shoulder, ear high.

Let’s say I have 60 yards. I know a waist high 54° goes 60 yards, but a rib high 60° does also. How aggressive do I want to swing? 

Unfortunately, I have spent the last 6 weeks working on my full swing (vastly improved) and my short game has suffered. But I’m able to devote more time now to it. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 12° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:taylormade-small: SIM TI 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on Graphite Design AD DI 7S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

This is my use of wedges

PW/43d (set)... Full shots 125 Yards

AW/48d (set)... Full shots 110-115 yds.  & Partial no wrist break shots 50-75 yds.

52d/Cleveland RTX 4...Full shots 100 yards/ partial swing 100-75 yards.....  No wrist break  shots 50-25 yards ( and under depending on conditions, carry desired, roll out etc.)

56d/Cleveland  CG 14 ....Bunker play...  No wrist break shots 25 yards and less (depending on conditions (over bunker, onto downhill etc.)

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Anything higher lofted than 50° doesn’t get a full swing.

I don’t have a go to wedge, I use what the shot calls for, whether it’s distance, pin location, lie or even green conditions.

i keep most shots pretty basic.

height is controlled by speed especially on chips and shorter pitches. Ball position usually stays the same. More speed keeps the ball lower, trajectory comes up as speed goes down which also requires a change in length of swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Participated in the INDI wedge test last year, was fitted with comparable wedges to what I was already using in the Cleveland CBX line: 50* GW, 54* SW, and 58* LW.   Rule of thumb,  the 54* is the go to wedge around the green.  50* is the longer shots into the green wedge or if I need a low spinny, quick stopper.  The 58* is purely short sided up and downs.  The 54* is the primary sand wedge as well.  As the distances covered overlap,  I have a general rule - if its over 90 but short of 110- 3/4 GW will get me there, if its 80-100 and I have a big landing zone I will typically go with the SW and look for the middle of the green, if its less than 80 - it becomes pretty much an adjusted SW (I practice 30 - 50 yd shots so that when I am facing such, I envision the same shot as played out in my drills).  BTW - I still pull the Clevelands out from time to time to stay somewhat familiar with them. 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I carry four wedges and practice / use them all. @GolfSpy_KFT I highly recommend Dave Pelz “Short Game Bible”.  It really helped me organize my thoughts around short game play and strategy

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

22 hours ago, DeanJellyBean said:

SMB7 52, 56, 60 Degree Wedges.

Full Swings / 3/4 Swing / Half Swing:

52 Degree - 125 /115/85

56 Degree - 105/95/75

60 Degree - 90/80/65

65 and less is typically a feel with a 52 degree. Short-sided in rough or bunker 56 degree/60 degree.

Good take, this is crazy accurate for me as well, eerie considering the nearly unlimited number of options, combinations and possible distances.

Cheers.

Cheers.

I use 46,50,54 and 58 degree Taylormade SM3 wedges with standard bounce for all. I use all of them for all shots depending on what makes sense to me at the moment (what bounce do I want for the lie, what height do I want to hit it with how much roll-out). While I hit bunker shots with all of these (and even a 9-iron on larger distances), mostly use the 54 and 58  there. For  flop shots I mostly use the 58 degree.

I try and avoid making swings as full as I will with my irons (with the occasional exception)

Edited by DanieldR

WITB:

• Driver: Taylormade M5, Tensei Blue Stiff 75 grams
  • 3 wood: Taylormade M4 tour, Tensei Blue Stiff 65 grams
  • 3 iron: Taylormade P790, Hzrdus Black 6.5 85 grams
  • 4 - 9 iron: Taylormade p770, KBS tour 120
  • 46, 50, 54, 58: Taylormade SM3, Dynamic Gold s200
  • Putter: Scotty Circa 62

HCP: 0

Course: Royal Hague

I have six degree increments from 9-iron [42º] to wedges [48, 54, 60º], but I don't use the clock method anymore.

I use "the Force" to club myself for a shot as the results tend to be pretty similar either way.