Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

AutoFlex Dream7 Driver Shafts - 2024 Forum Member Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main threads in the links below!

@chisag - Main Post 

@KC Golf - Main Post 

@BallsLeon - Main Post 

@Kenny B -  Main Post 

@ZMendle10 - Main Post 

@Jean D - Main Post 

@nvizble1 - Main Post 

@Golfspy_CG2 - Main Post

2 hours ago, KC Golf said:

Thank you.  We Canucks love our long weekends… even though it was snowing this morning at the cottage. 3 straight days of snow.  Crazy stuff here.  Fortunately no accumulation on the deck.

We do indeed, but crazy warm temps here in Ontario… 4 straight days of 28C+ weather , but great weather for Victoria Day long weekend!

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

2 hours ago, Jean D said:

We do indeed, but crazy warm temps here in Ontario… 4 straight days of 28C+ weather , but great weather for Victoria Day long weekend!

... 28C+?!? How is an American (how arrogant is it we call ourselves Americans 🤪) supposed to understand what that means? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

Been a bit since my last update but outside of testing its been busy week so here we go with the past few daily updates all in one post.

Friday 05/17: Farmstead Golf and Country Club

Played in a charity scramble and unfortunately just couldn't find the middle of the clubface. Club face control felt like it was a bit all over the place and inconsistent so it was very hard to adjust and account for a consistent miss. It wasn't all bad though as some of the misses were in play. The speed was also up and was averaging probably around 117ish but strikes seem to be more towards the heel. I did measure ball and club head but forgot to record it before using the PRGR again and now unsure which data is from when.

Saturday 05/18: Shaft Testing at Golf Cave

I wanted to do some shaft testing at this point especially since I felt that the playing length of the Dream 7 could potentially be causing some strike inconsistencies. The shafts the Dream 7 is up against is the Graphite Design UB 7X playing at 45 3/8in and a HZRDUS Smoke Blue TX playing at 45 3/4in. The point of this session is more to pay attention to impact location than which shaft is best suited for me to move forward. Another thing to pay attention to is how does the shaft length of the other two shafts feel compare to the length of the Dream 7 at 46 1/8in. 

Here are the impact maps from that session and my hunch on inconsistency of impact location was spot on.

RDX Blue 60 TX

image.png.03f333aeb0579ec489f9dca9bd21a56a.png

UB 7X

image.png.fe13daa740ec38042359648de3c1aa3e.png

Autoflex Dream 7

image.png.269cb546e5cfa5d8042edff13f55f947.png

The RDX Blue proving why it was my previous gamer and had a spot in the bag but the UB put in a strong showing as well with a consistent low spinning and controlled fade. The dispersion was also very tight for the UB7X while the Dream 7 unfortunately had the worst dispersion of the 3. All shafts were given 2 rounds of shots with 10 straight shots in round 1 and 5 shots in round 2. Since I was changing lengths of drivers as well as 3 very different shafts all together I allowed for a warmup period with each shaft as well before starting the round. Once I felt adjusted I went into hitting shots. 

image.png.55108014fe402353f4ca25e0a5733b27.png

Sunday 05/19:

Was only able to sneak off to trackman for an hour today and basically just compared the UB7X and Dream 7 one more time to see if what I was experiencing on Saturday was consistent which it was. Sadly I couldn't send the Trackman report to get the numbers for this session. Later in the day though I made the executive decision to go a half inch shorter in length to 45 and 5/8 in on the Dream 7 to try and gain more control. This is a length that I am familiar with and has worked for me in the past so I was comfortable moving to this length having given the longer length a very fair opportunity. I swing weighted it out to about D1.5ish at the new length with the included golf pride grip since it was the same grip weight as the CPX.

Once the swingweight was confirmed to be within the acceptable range I then cut off the grip and regripped it with my preferred grip the Pure DTX Midsize. image.png.44d7f315f803db26716c7409d50c124c.pngimage.png.c2789c153ad2ec89c534565c456aaf01.png

The reason for doing this was to truly give the Dream 7 it's best opportunity to make it into the bag as it had some work cut out for it despite the increased club head speed it was overall not much further than what I was previously using. 

Driver:   TSR3 8°, set to B1, Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 6TX 

3 Wood: SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid:  CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 9X

2 Utility:  ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°:  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60°  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  Mezz1 Max

Ball:  Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

Currently Testing

Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

Unofficial TSR3 Review

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... 28C+?!? How is an American (how arrogant is it we call ourselves Americans 🤪) supposed to understand what that means? 

Simple, just think metric!  Divide by 10 instead of by 12 and it all sorts itself out.  OR... do the following (just as simple, really):   

CtoFcalculation.JPG.5d42974dd399c77ef86f89dc3aadc4ed.JPG

🙂 

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

4C and pouring rain.  Will get out later this week.  Hopefully when it’s warmer!

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x (MGS Tester ‘24) / GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

3 hours ago, chisag said:

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=28C+in+F

🙂

it’s probably an artifact of history rather than something arrogant. But I admit it is weird when you think of it a certain way. 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Posted (edited)

The new-to-me Qi10 LS head has arrived... but Canada Post forgot to notify me.  Have to wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) to go get it. Looking forward to putting it on the AF SF405x shaft and taking it for a spin on the simulator (calling for rain the rest of the week 😞 ) and seeing how things go!

In related news: I've picked up some "dot kits" for the MLM2 Pro launch monitor and have prepped some 2024 TM TP5x balls so I can get spin numbers when I try out the new head with my preferred ball.  For those that don't know- the MLM2 Pro requires a specific dot pattern on the ball to track back and side spin... and only Callaway makes a "factory-fresh" dotted ball- which I am not a fan of at all- feels like I'm hitting a marshmallow !

@ZMendle10 Really glad to hear that the new shorter length is working for you on the Autoflex!  I'm still at 45.75" (116.2cm), and will be trying to choke down on the grip on my tests tomorrow to see if I am getting more of that "zing" on my shots and more accurate center face hits.  Updates tomorrow after work.

Edited by Jean D

9 minutes ago, Jean D said:

The new-to-me Qi10 LS head has arrived... but Canada Post forgot to notify me.  Have to wait until tomorrow (Wednesday) to go get it. Looking forward to putting it on the AF SF405x shaft and taking it for a spin on the simulator (calling for rain the rest of the week 😞 ) and seeing how things go!

In related news: I've picked up some "dot kits" for the MLM2 Pro launch monitor and have prepped some 2024 TM TP5x balls so I can get spin numbers when I try out the new head with my preferred ball.  For those that don't know- the MLM2 Pro requires a specific dot pattern on the ball to track back and side spin... and only Callaway makes a "factory-fresh" dotted ball- which I am not a fan of at all- feels like I'm hitting a marshmallow !

@ZMendle10 Really glad to hear that the new shorter length is working for you on the Autoflex!  I'm still at 45.75" (116.2cm), and will be trying to choke down on the grip on my tests tomorrow to see if I am getting more of that "zing" on my shots and more accurate center face hits.  Updates tomorrow after work.

Rapsodo will soon be offering ProV1 and ProV1X with the dot pattern. So something to look forward to 😁

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Dang @chisag!  Those are good results and great scoring!  The AF is a contender for sure. 

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... Well my Autoflex keeps on Trucking' and What A Long Strange Trip It's Been. My friend cancelled yesterday so I spent the front 9 playing a practice round hitting multiple drives and felt like I was really getting the hang for the feel of my Dream 7. The feel is just so different and I think I was making subconscious adjustments and I just didn't fully trust it. The practice front 9 really helped so I decided to play a one man 2 ball scramble on the back. The shaft was really coming into it's own and I finally hit a longest drive on a given hole by about 5 yards. Now we were getting somewhere and I shot a 30 with one eagle and 4 birdies playing two shots in my one man scramble. Side note: Autoflex wasn't used on the par 3's where I didn't birdie either hole. 🤪

... Today the AF picked up where it left off yesterday and I had 2 more drives that were the longest on those holes, about 5 yds on one of them and 15 on the other. Gaining confidence I went after those drives with a little more seed and the AF responded well. The second was 310 with a side wind that was actually hurting a touch. 😱  I usually hit on the flat and bounce onto the downslope and the ball can roll all the way to the bottom. This time I carried the flat hitting on the downslope and propelling the forward and we didn't see it because it was just off the fairway in a spot a good 25 yds past the bottom of the hill and on the up slope! I also had two eagle putts thank to big drives from the AF leaving me a 22* hybrid and a 4 iron to the green. Then drive the 265yd 17th over water and uphill for my 6th birdie. 

...  As an added bonus my playing pard turned 82 last week and he shot an 81 so one stroke under his age while I was 4 strokes under my age. It was a really good day all around. 

521scorecard.jpg.bc47304014d397a8ee0dad9d13ce81b1.jpg

Heck of a round!  

What would you say the biggest challenge of switching over to the autoflex has been?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Hell of a round @chisag! 🔥 You mentioned you were making subconscious adjustments, have you thrown that out the window and you're just trusting your normal swing?

Have a couple rounds scheduled for Sunday/Monday of Memorial Day weekend, hoping the weather plays nice. 😬

image.png.00d5f1c48591e9c95cb73dcd80d4c88e.png

Heading back to the sim tonight to get some more practice in. Noticing less deflection since trimming the shaft down to 45.5". Haven't collected numbers since trimming it so curious to see where club speeds are.

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (45")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Heck of a round!  

What would you say the biggest challenge of switching over to the autoflex has been?

.... As a lifelong shaft Ho, I have pretty good feel for a shafts attributes. I can feel the entire shaft bending with my Kai'Li that is mid flex, mid kick, mid torque and mid spin. I can also feel the very tight Ventus Red with an ultra stiff butt and a stiff tip with a low kick. Both very different but I can feel the kick through impact. When I worked with the VP of fitting during my Callaway demo, he kept me for an hour because I was like a machine as far as swing speed with a consistent 95 over and over again. He asked me to ramp it up a little and my swing speed drops as I went at it harder and not faster. He wanted to experiment with different shafts that on paper didn't fit me but he says golfers surprise him so we went through a ton of shafts I normally wouldn't hit. He would only let me swing a shaft that didn't fit me twice and said I start changing my swing just a little to get my desired trajectory. The point being I have a good feel for shafts and what they are doing when I swing them. 

... I just have no feel for the Dream 7. I can't really tell where it is flexing and that took some real getting used to. I can't adjust to what I don't feel. But once I gave in and just trusted the Korean Hidden Technology (I know that sounds like The Hammer POW! 🤪) and just swung the AF freely, it started to come around. I am hoping to have a description of the feel by the time I write my final review, but I just may not be able to put it into words. 

Edited by chisag

My Qi10 LS head has arrived!!! Going to 32C (38C with humidex) this afternoon… so I will be hitting on the sim not out at the range.  Will post data from that this evening. Bonus: I will be able to get proper spin numbers using the 2024 TM TP5x and dots from rapsodoballdots.com for the MLM2 Pro.  I have also started looking at either a GC3 or equivalent for the sim for the indoor winter season so that I can putt on GSPro!

@chisag That is a heck of a round! And congratulations to your playing partner on his fantastic score!!

8 minutes ago, BallsLeon said:

Hell of a round @chisag! 🔥 You mentioned you were making subconscious adjustments, have you thrown that out the window and you're just trusting your normal swing?

... I just wrote two paragraphs to say what you summed up in one sentence. So yea, that is pretty much exactly what I have done. 

1 minute ago, Jean D said:

[...]
I have also started looking at either a GC3 or equivalent for the sim for the indoor winter season so that I can putt on GSPro!

[...]

giphy.gif

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (45")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

1 hour ago, chisag said:

.... As a lifelong shaft Ho, I have pretty good feel for a shafts attributes. I can feel the entire shaft bending with my Kai'Li that is mid flex, mid kick, mid torque and mid spin. I can also feel the very tight Ventus Red with an ultra stiff butt and a stiff tip with a low kick. Both very different but I can feel the kid through impact. When I worked with the VP of fitting during my Callaway demo, he kept me for an hour because I was like a machine as far as swing speed with a consistent 95 over and over again. He asked me to ramp it up a little and my swing speed drops as I went at it harder and not faster. He wanted to experiment with different shafts that on paper didn't fit me but he says gofers surpass him so we went through a ton of shafts I normally wouldn't hit. He would only let me swing a shaft that didn't fit me twice and said I start changing my swing just a little to get my desired trajectory. The point being I have a good feel for shafts and what they are doing when I swing them. 

... I just have no feel for the Dream 7. I can't really tell where it is flexing and that took some real getting used to. I can't adjust to what I don't feel. But once I gave in and just trusted the Korean Hidden Technology (I know that sounds like The Hammer POW! 🤪) and just swung the AF freely, it started to come around. I am hoping to have a description of the feel by the time I write my final review, but I just may not be able to put it into words. 

Thanks!  It makes sense. I know you have mentioned having a smooth transition swing and that probably helps with this type of shaft. 

Do any of the testers have a "rougher" more aggressive transition?

Raining all day with a high of 7C, not a great day.  Would hit a sim but they are booked up.  Will try heading out tomorrow, but have a Sim time just in case since the weather looks bleak tomorrow too.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x (MGS Tester ‘24) / GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

2 hours ago, chisag said:

.... As a lifelong shaft Ho, I have pretty good feel for a shafts attributes. I can feel the entire shaft bending with my Kai'Li that is mid flex, mid kick, mid torque and mid spin. I can also feel the very tight Ventus Red with an ultra stiff butt and a stiff tip with a low kick. Both very different but I can feel the kid through impact. When I worked with the VP of fitting during my Callaway demo, he kept me for an hour because I was like a machine as far as swing speed with a consistent 95 over and over again. He asked me to ramp it up a little and my swing speed drops as I went at it harder and not faster. He wanted to experiment with different shafts that on paper didn't fit me but he says gofers surpass him so we went through a ton of shafts I normally wouldn't hit. He would only let me swing a shaft that didn't fit me twice and said I start changing my swing just a little to get my desired trajectory. The point being I have a good feel for shafts and what they are doing when I swing them. 

That’s a nice summary of your driver shaft experience with the Dream 7.  I agree that to say the AF is a just a whippy tip doesn’t give it the credit it deserves.  I find my experience with it on the course has been great so far.  The ball speed gains I am getting have been great, but it’s also going straighter as well.

55 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

That’s a nice summary of your driver shaft experience with the Dream 7.  I agree that to say the AF is a just a whippy tip doesn’t give it the credit it deserves.  I find my experience with it on the course has been great so far.  The ball speed gains I am getting have been great, but it’s also going straighter as well.

... One of the interesting things about the Dream 7 is if you are making subconscious adjustments, it's pretty difficult to make conscious adjustments in response. By definition "existing in the mind but not immediately available to consciousness : affecting thought, feeling, and behavior without entering awareness. subconscious motives. a subconscious reflex." so it isn't something even available to the conscious. But after 5 rounds and a practice session, I was able to over ride my subconscious and just started trusting my AF with my normal swing. 

17 hours ago, chisag said:

... Well my Autoflex keeps on Trucking' and What A Long Strange Trip It's Been. My friend cancelled yesterday so I spent the front 9 playing a practice round hitting multiple drives and felt like I was really getting the hang for the feel of my Dream 7. The feel is just so different and I think I was making subconscious adjustments and I just didn't fully trust it. The practice front 9 really helped so I decided to play a one man 2 ball scramble on the back. The shaft was really coming into it's own and I finally hit a longest drive on a given hole by about 5 yards. Now we were getting somewhere and I shot a 30 with one eagle and 4 birdies playing two shots in my one man scramble. Side note: Autoflex wasn't used on the par 3's where I didn't birdie either hole. 🤪

... Today the AF picked up where it left off yesterday and I had 2 more drives that were the longest on those holes, about 5 yds on one of them and 15 on the other. Gaining confidence I went after those drives with a little more seed and the AF responded well. The second was 310 with a side wind that was actually hurting a touch. 😱  I usually hit on the flat and bounce onto the downslope and the ball can roll all the way to the bottom. This time I carried the flat hitting on the downslope and propelling the forward and we didn't see it because it was just off the fairway in a spot a good 25 yds past the bottom of the hill and on the up slope! I also had two eagle putts thank to big drives from the AF leaving me a 22* hybrid and a 4 iron to the green. Then drive the 265yd 17th over water and uphill for my 6th birdie. 

...  As an added bonus my playing pard turned 82 last week and he shot an 81 so one stroke under his age while I was 4 strokes under my age. It was a really good day all around. 

521scorecard.jpg.bc47304014d397a8ee0dad9d13ce81b1.jpg

Damn good rounds! I will need to arrange for 3 @chisags for my next scramble tournament!

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Thanks!  It makes sense. I know you have mentioned having a smooth transition swing and that probably helps with this type of shaft. 

Do any of the testers have a "rougher" more aggressive transition?

That would be me. All day... ugh. I rush my transition, even while I consciously pause at the top.  My results are not as clean as most of the other testers.

My AF experience has not been as easy and smooth as @chisag's and the other testers has been.  I am struggling mightily to hit straight and every mph or yard gained has been earned with a LOT of drives on the range, on the sim and on the course.  As of this afternoon, I have 836 drives on the AF and my other shafts.  70%/15%/15% distribution (AF/Tensei/C6), and while some days are brilliant, other days are dismal.  For myself, the shaft has not "magically" given me extra anything. I absolutely see the potential that exists with this shaft, but I am currently not able to grab onto it and enjoy the ride.  I did say in my intro that I make average Joe's look good and I meant it! 

JD

Edited by Jean D

22 hours ago, Jean D said:

I would say we have rekindled the honeymoon phase and now that I am at a more comfortable playing length I feel like I can start to build up the confidence a bit. Still no data to support my feels but maybe later tonight if not tomorrow morning I will be back at it. 

Driver:   TSR3 8°, set to B1, Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 6TX 

3 Wood: SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid:  CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 9X

2 Utility:  ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°:  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60°  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  Mezz1 Max

Ball:  Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

Currently Testing

Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

Unofficial TSR3 Review

2 minutes ago, Jean D said:

That would be me. All day... ugh. I rush my transition, even while I consciously pause at the top.  My results are not as clean as most of the other testers.

My AF experience has not been as easy and smooth as @chisag's and the other testers has been.  I am struggling mightily to hit straight and every mph or yard gained has been earned with a LOT of drives on the range, on the sim and on the course.  As of this afternoon, I have 836 drives on the AF and my other shafts.  70%/15%/15% distribution (AF/Tensei/C6), and while some days are brilliant, other days are dismal.  For myself, the shaft has not "magically" given me extra anything. I absolutely see the potential that exists with this shaft, but I am currently not able to grab onto it and enjoy the ride.  I did say in my intro that I make average Joe's look good and I meant it! 

JD

That's my biggest fear with this shaft. 

4 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

That's my biggest fear with this shaft. 

In an earlier post, I shared the average gains that I made with the shaft after 500 drives ( I think…).  It will reward you with increased ball and club speed, longer carry and total distance but I have found it also increases spin and if you mess up the swing, it will punish you for it- more so than on my C6 and Tensei shafts.

I just hit 30 drives with the Qi10 LS head at 9degrees, and the spin numbers were more to my liking, but I still cannot break the mystical 105mph club head or the 150mph ball speed barrier and 245yds is still my best carry. and 264yds is still my best total distance. Still have a few weeks of testing before we post our final reports, will be heading out for a driving lesson or 3 + many more balls at the range , on the sim and on the course….Hopefully, everything will sync up and my overall numbers will reflect the potential of this shaft.

9 minutes ago, Jean D said:

... There is a reason when MGS has the opportunity, they select low/mid/high index players to test and review equipment, providing experiences anyone can identify with. To be fair, your experience should not be similar to mine, but should be relevant to others in the 10-20 index range. Add that I have been doing reviews for so many years and can adjust very quickly to new equipment. With shafts I can usually tell in no more than 10 swings if it has potential for my game. So for me at least far from an easy and smooth experience and if I only had 10 swings on the range, I would have handed it back and never given it another thought. The Autoflex took at least 5 rounds, a practice 9 and a one person 2 ball scramble before I felt comfortable swinging it.

... So hang in there and know good or bad, your experience with the Dream 7 will help other 10-20 index MGS members decide whether or not they should demo one. (Hint: they should) I think someone like @bens197 can learn something from my experience but imagine after swinging a Ventus Velocore Black with excellent results, he too would need at last 5 rounds to find out if the AF had potential for him. But as a relatively young man, he doesn't need more distance like I do at age 71 and after several swings I think he would just laugh and hand it back to the fitter. I think we all know the AF Dream 7 is a niche product and not for everyone, but those in the market and the target player just might find something special for their game. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Jean D said:

245yds is still my best carry. and 264yds is still my best total distance.

... I can suggest one simple change that can increase that longest drive with the Autoflex by 30 yards or more!!!  Come to Phoenix and hit yours on the hard, fast fairways with 100* temps and with a 245 yd carry, if you can hit a downslope you will be hitting 300yd drives. 😎

Edited by chisag

1 hour ago, chisag said:

So hang in there and know good or bad, your experience with the Dream 7 will help other 10-20 index MGS members decide whether or not they should demo one. (Hint: they should) I think someone like @bens197 can learn something from my experience but imagine after swinging a Ventus Velocore Black with excellent results, he too would need at last 5 rounds to find out if the AF had potential for him. But as a relatively young man, he doesn't need more distance like I do at age 71 and after several swings I think he would just laugh and hand it back to the fitter. I think we all know the AF Dream 7 is a niche product and not for everyone, but those in the market and the target player just might find something special for their game. 

This is where patience truly pays off. It also makes me wonder if someone may deprive themselves of the best option simply because of 5-10 mediocre swings. 

I’ll ask this to all testers here…

What type / caliber of golfer do you believe this is marketed towards?  It’s unique in so many ways and while many of us shop based upon our own personal bias, is this a shaft you could convince yourself to fall in love with if you knew it may take some time to adjust it to your swing?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

This is where patience truly pays off. It also makes me wonder if someone may deprive themselves of the best option simply because of 5-10 mediocre swings. 

I’ll ask this to all testers here…

What type / caliber of golfer do you believe this is marketed towards?  It’s unique in so many ways and while many of us shop based upon our own personal bias, is this a shaft you could convince yourself to fall in love with if you knew it may take some time to adjust it to your swing?

I'll wait for my final review to fully answer, but I’ll say this:  it was not love at first swing or even 500th swing for me.  There were maybe 40-50 swings that made me go “HOLY HECK THIS IS AWESOME”….out of my 625 drives on the AF shaft (out of 800+ total drives so far).