New wedges - what grind(s)?

Hi all,

I'm replacing my wedges this season, but I'm lost in the jungle of different grinds. I currently play SM7 54.10.S (bent to 53) and 58.10.S. With new wedges I will most likely get 52/56/60. I have decided to go all-inn on Dan Grieve's 3-releases ("short game - philosophy") which means that I will mostly chip and pitch with a square clubface and "use the bounce". My understanding is that I should go with mid to high bounce on the 52 and 56 but low bounce on the 60.

I normally play on medium to soft turf in quite soft bunkers. 

The 56 will probably be my go-to club in the sand if that matters (I do not consider myself a great bunker player, but I do not struggle to get the ball out).

Any advice regarding what grind to choose?

Working to improve 😅

It is an issue - I play wedges with v soles so I’ve not concerned myself with the whole grind thing. However I’m strongly considering a new Ping to replace my 60.

Just one piece of advice for you though - if you bent your 54 you also changed the bounce - if I remember rightly making it stronger decreased the bounce and if one were to weaken the lift it increases the bounce - but I could be wrong. 

When I used to game non v soles I followed the rule of something neutral on my gap wedge for bounce - more bounce on Sand wedge and low bounce on my 60. 

Ideally you’d go get fit to figure out the best grinds/bounces for you. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

1 hour ago, Hovland said:

This is the recommendation I get from the Vokey Wedge Selector Tool... 

Since you entered what you intend to do with the clubs, this is just as good of an opinion as anyone can give you.   

2 hours ago, Hovland said:

My understanding is that I should go with mid to high bounce on the 52 and 56 but low bounce on the 60.

Having higher bounces in a couple of wedges and low in one is general advice that is given.  If you look at Dan Grieve’s latest video his bounces are 9, 10, 7.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Hovland said:

This is the recommendation I get from the Vokey Wedge Selector Tool...

image.png.c3ddd089a6e86cfae277298638174941.png 

Using the wedge selector in combination with both an indoor (GC Hawk Simulator) and outdoor (with Trackman) fittings.  Now, that said, I did not go with Vokeys this time and instead went with the corresponding Taylormade MG4 wedges.  Mine ended up being the 48.09, 52.09, 56.12, and 60.07 grinds.  The 60.07 is sort of a "V" sole low bounce, so I can act like a 9 degree if needed or like a 4 degree almost if needed.  I'm still learning to use them all after being in Vokeys for 6+ years going back to some worn-out eBay SM6s I had before the eBay purchased Wedgeworks SM8s I replaced with the SM9s for which I was fitted in 2022.  I've been experimenting with some tungsten tape (like lead, but heavier and non-toxic), and I think I've just about got these to where I want them for gapping and flight.  I was out in Phoenix for work the last 10-12 days, and of course, it's rained pretty much non-stop in Dallas since October (at least it seems that way), so my range time has been VERY limited since I got these other than what I could work in around training and a conference out in Arizona.  I'm ripping the cover off balls right now with the MG4s on anything that is even close to a full swing, and the 60 degree's 11,000 RPM with a ProV1 or Maxfli Tour is kind of sick to see in person on the course when you get pro-like back spin...unless it comes back off the green like my ball did twice last week in AZ (once was w/ the 48 degree wedge, which was crazy to see).

Edited by ctg44