Would you give up distance for accuracy?

I don't think its about sacrificing distance for accuracy. I think it's about playing to the course. It isn't a hard and fast rule for any shot. My drives are typically around the 260-270 mark. I have a natural draw to my ball, with an occasional hook. If I tee the ball down, I lose about 20 yards, but I hit a low fade but it's consistent and straight because I come down on the ball. 

When I look at a hole, I typically try to play to an approach that gives me a guarantee of hitting the green, or at least a good chance. Anything 7 iron or less is a good shot to be on the green, 5 and 4 iron would give me a chance but I'd have less chance of making par. Whilst my wedge gives me a greater chance, I have to weigh up the risks of being too wayward off the drive and a bogie, so do I go for birdie and risk a bogie or do I go for par? I also look at the fairway width. Big wide fairways with very little in the way of hazards have more of a chance of hitting driver. Do bunkers come into play if I hit a full drive? 

So if I am playing a 350 yard par 4, is there a real benefit to going full driver or even fairway finder? Most of the time, I'd rather be a full club away, so in the case of a 350 yard par 4, I'm okay with a 5 iron off the tee, which guarantees me a fairway spot, particularly if a bit of water is in play, and then a 9 iron into the green depending on the wind. It also gives me more options in terms of position on the fairway. With driver I'm happy to be on the fairway, with iron I can pick a location on the fairway for a better line into the green and be confident I'm at least close to that location.

So here is an example of where I would use a fairway finder. If I hit iron or a 3W, it's going to be marginally too short to get around the tree on the left and depending on the pin placement, that could be a problem. The 3W would be close to my fairway finder, but it also brings the risk of a draw back in play It doesn't look like it here, but the branches stick out quite far into the fairway meaning its too long to get a wedge over. Other issue here is out of bounds on the left, but not on the right so the risk of using a fairway finder is low if I fade too much. I start it on the right edge of the tree sticking out and fades to the right side of the fairway. Nice position to hit into the green. Good shot at pin chasing from that position. 

13.png.3ccaa105660e6b6a158280f93ec08d30.png

Here is where I am more inclined to use an iron. Both the fairway finder and driver could be waterbound if I send them right. It's a big carry to go over the water. The green is drivable for me, but it's a big carry, basically my perfect shot, maybe 1/20. There is out of bounds to the left so it's not worth the risk of a hook? The fairway finder, while not bad here could fade a little too much into the water so it brings the water in play. From an iron perspective, I could hit an iron at the middle of the fairway, if it draws it's still inside the fairway, if it fades, it's a tough line to the hole, but it's a long green from that side so hitting a 9 iron into this elevated green won't be an issue as I have a fair amount of green to play with. Even if I hit it badly, I still have an iron into the green.

13a.png.778bc1db927000936352a49a8f96a0a5.png

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

9 hours ago, Preeway said:

I’m going to go get fitted for a new shaft to see if that helps my dispersion before I succumb to shorter hits off the tee. 

Hmmmmm that might be the next thing to do. Put the shaft I am using now into the club heaad 6 years and two surgeries ago.

That said I drove the ball really well today. Lost one ball because I hit it through the fairway and into a pond. The pond was 262 yards away. 

Other than that I had a fine day. A 77 on a par 73 course with two birdies. No chance for skins though, they were both canceled by the time we walked off the green. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

30 yards?!?!?

images.jpg.e4e8bad92402a7d9d53af20f3a1aab58.jpg

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:maxfli: Tour X

My home course is heavily wooded.  If you are off the fairway very much you are probably not going to advance the ball.  In addition, many of our holes have positional issues.  A long drive that is on the "wrong" side can easily result is being blocked out.  All that said, taking the proper club for the conditions is the right move. 

I am not a long hitter, a 250+ yard drive has me jumpy-up-and-down excited, provided it is in play.  I play with folks who out drive me constantly, but when we walk off the green I am nearly always the one with the lowest score.  I find it really funny when people brag constantly about their booming drives and constantly shoot way over par.  The long drives are not the key.  The key is having the short game to deal with the poor accuracy.  Most people don't have that and would be better served with a shorter drive that resulted in a better lie.  

As has been said, most people don't practice.  Without practice, hitting long (especially on my home course) gets you very little advantage.  I do play with folks who are long and accurate...scary Neanderthals.  

I was taught a lesson about this decades ago.  A very skinny very old man asked if his wife could play along with me.  I said sure.  She was a dried up excuse for a human.  That dried up old woman never hit the ball over 150yds.  However, she never missed.  I out drove her over 100yds nearly every hole...into the bunker, trees, OB, etc., sometimes even the fairway.  She beat me and beat me for 9 holes.  She pared or birdied every hole.  It was a pathetic exercise in testosterone on my part.  She was the #1 senior female in Georgia at the time.  Lesson learned.

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

I consistently hit 85%+ of fairways but could use distance, so, no. Shot 78 yesterday, hit 12/14 fairways but only 7 GIR because driving distance leaves me with a longer club into the green.  If it wasn’t for my putting I would be shooting >85. 

On 5/29/2024 at 7:28 AM, cnosil said:

Simple answer no.    

FW hit is basically a meaningless number.   the closer you are to the hole the better chance you can get it in the hole in fewer strokes.   Driver dispersion patterns are wide and while hitting fairways is ideal, just give me a shot that I can advance toward the green.   

Fully agree - I need all the distance I can get, even when playing for position (hard dog legs, over water, etc).  Tighter dispersion is key, but missed fairways (just remember one foot off is still a missed fairway) is overrated especially when the rough is short…the courses I play this means more of a fluffed lie rather than a buried one…

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Not a long hitter, never have been. Average 210-220 most of the time, with driver. When I need to, I do try to get a 240, but doesn't always happen. As I get older(67), distance does not appeal to me as much as it used to. Being more accurate, on the fairway, is my mantra as of late. I am a high capper, so accuracy is a premium for me. When I do hit fairways with any consistency, score definetely goes down. My swing is not consistent at this time, so driver can be a big liability for me during a round, to where I just need to leave it in the bag. Accuracy with approach shots can also be problematic for me, adding to the scorecard. I have done lessons, swing evals, video training, and it just does not translate to the course, and at this late stage, I just play to get out of the house with friends. I still try to make the game better for me with a tweek here and there, but most are temporary, so I just make the best if it. I just don't play enough to be consistent over the season, so when I do play, not losing a ball is a goal during a round, and trying to keep it it on my fairway, and not the next one over...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

Well I guess I would want to know WHY I was getting less accuracy. Was I fit with the wrong shaft or loft?? Hitting fairways does build my confidence and it’s tough to practice recovery shots. I can make up 15 or 20 yards with my second shot and short game. 

Texas golfer always looking to execute the next shot. 2 Aces!

On 5/28/2024 at 8:56 PM, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Right now, I have fairly consistent accuracy but I believe that I am not progressing in my game due to lack of distance. A factor I would have to consider if I traded accuracy for more distance would be playing the lie differently if not on the fairway. It's kind of a double edged sword at this time for me.

Change tee boxes, no need to 'tip it out' and play from 7000 yards. Personally I think most amateurs should play from about 6000 yards, At that distance it's still a very good test (more than most think in fact) and we aren't trying to compete at professional levels.

On 5/28/2024 at 7:32 PM, EnderinAZ said:

So would you do it? Give up 30 yards in driver distance to go from hitting six fairways a round to hitting 12 or more? 

It is more, much more difficult to gain distance than accuracy.

Accuracy is a minor cure than trying to gain another 30 yards.

73 years old, 17 handicap, fit profile 205 driving. Accuracy is more important. GIR has always been my weakness. 1.9 to 2.0 putts per round. Playing really well short game lowers score not GIR. Playing graphite shafts, forgiving irons, gave up about 1/2 club. User error is primary problem.

Ed Bailey-Mershon

It is a very interesting topic.  As we get older, we start losing distance...  but at the same time we are improving our accuracy.  I am 65 years old with 4 handicap and I hit my driver approximately 230 yards.  If I play from the back tees, most of the time I struggle with distances on long par 4.  The point is that I would give up accuracy to get an extra 50 yards in order to get back the 280 yards from my young age.

Accuracy, in my opinion, is far more important than a few more yards.  I don’t hit long off the tee anymore (210-220) but often beat folks who can hit 30 to 50 yds. longer who have trouble staying in the fairway.  

The course you play makes a huge difference.  Tall rough, trees, water, and bunkers eliminate most of the advantages of longer, less accurate drivers.  In fact, I think they cause golfers to score more doubles and triples, which negatively impacts other parts of their game as they fall behind and start to push trying to catch up.  

Now, if I could hit long and find the fairway…

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter

For me I would trade the distance to get more accuracy. My opinion is it depends on the course you are playing. If, it has tight fairways with trees on both sides then yes I need accuracy since if you miss most likely you are punching out and then you need to stick your wedge and 1 putt. If the course is more open then no I would pound it down there as far as I could. I play both types of courses. I shoot worse on the tighter course since I miss to many fairways. It all comes down to course management which to be honest there are days I'm terrible at it as are many others I'm sure. 

I adjusted my game to intentionally sacrifice distance for control, especially because my home course will destroy you once you get off the fairway.  It helps that my distance sacrifice still results in 250 yard drives.  If I'm playing at an easier course, which allows for more dispersion, then I will certainly go for it.  Suffice it to say that it will always depend on the course, which gets us down to playing golf is more than just hitting a ball.  Course management (and mental management) are significant factors as well.

Callaway GBB Epic, Callaway Razr X Black 3W, Callaway X14 Pro, Cleveland CG15, Odyssey White Hot #5

I was looking at new irons and found one brand that gained me 10-15 yards on my 7i . But I don't want those extra yards as I'm happy with my gaping .  I would like to play a bit more with my driver and tinker that as I know I have more to give without swinging out of my shoes.  I demoed some newer drivers and gained 30-40 yards and was hitting it straighter.      But end of day accuracy over distance .  Just club up if you need too  and if it's 250 yards out.... odds are it'll be 2 shots anyways 

I can 3 putt from anywhere 

At 71 I need all the distance I can get. However if your playing a short tight course that demands accuracy distance would not be as important. Young kids hit the ball miles past me and there is a big difference hitting a wedge versus a 6 iron. But for my age I need distance or some holes can’t be reached in regulation.

Taylor made P770, Ping G425 driver and 3w, and Calaway Heavenwood, Hybrid,Vokey wedges, Scotty Newport putter. 

Put me in the accuracy camp as well.  My scores almost always depend on my accuracy off the tee box.  Drive well = score well.  Occasionally I have an "on fire" putting day where I can overcome some misses off the box, but generally everything else stays consistent overall.  That said I also agree with others that the course you're playing makes a huge difference as well.

I'm a shorter knocker so distance off the tee for me is more important. Accuracy definitely still matters, however I'd still take 260 off the tee and in the rough vs 225-230 out and in the fairway. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

I put a 3 wood shaft in a Ping 410 head two weeks ago and have only missed 4 fairways since. My distance has stayed in the 235 to 245 carry range and I'm 67 years old. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     GX-7 14°
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER      L.A.B Link1 33"
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

I am not a big hitter off the tee, at the same time I am already 50-60% FIR so I don't see this as an issue.  I wouldn't give up more distance for more accuracy than that, I usually keep it in play anyway.  There are studies that indicate the number one predicator of lower scores is longer drive, so I would even accept a bit less accuracy for distance if it lowered my overall score, which is likely the case.  

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

The age old question - leads me to say it depends. When I am golfing with the guys, sometimes the distance is worth it...but if I am playing course management going straight for score? Definitely going with accuracy. 

I average 240 with my 3 hybrid, and hit a consistent 270 with my driver...so there are a number of times where I default to my hybrid because I guarantee accuracy over the 30 yard distance.

What's in the bag? 

DRIVER - Taylormade SIM2 Max, Extra Stiff Shaft

3 WOOD - Cobra Fly Z

HYBRIDS - Cobra F7 - 3 and 4

IRONS - Cobra F7 - 5-PW

WEDGE's - Cobra PUR - 52 and 56 degree  

PUTTER - Scotty Cameron - Super Select Newport 2

I’d give up 5-10 yards but not more. 
I’d like to gain yardage but lose accuracy so I stay where I am. 
Mid to late 60’s and still hit it 260-270 when I pop it. But I can stay accurate so that helps. Try to play from 6200-6400yds on courses so some par 5’s are 3 shots but I rely on my wedges then. 

Steve Martak

I already do.  I only hit it about 245 but I keep it in play 95% of the time.  Personally I love it.  I know guys that hit it 285-300 plus but are all over the place.

Titleist TSR2 driver

Titleist TSR2 3 wood

Taylormade Sim2 7 wood

Titleist T300/T200 combo irons 

Vokey SM8 52F/56S/60M wedges

scotty cameron Newport 2 putter

I am already pretty accurate off the tee (10-12 fairways hit each round), but am usually the first one of my foursome hitting their second shot. I would take more distance and then work on my accuracy, with the hope that my second shots are more eight and nine irons rather than four and five hybrids.

Prof Harry