Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Sub 70 vs Takomo

Kbains5

I’m a high handicapper who’s still learning the game, but I feel my swing is coming to a consistent repeatable point. I’m thinking I should spring for a mb cb combo from either sub 70 or takomo given how affordable they are. 

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on which to get, if it’s a worthwhile option to continue learning on mbs to learn shaping etc., or should I get a different model altogether? I already play a spinny ball in the current Kirkland balls, but I wonder if that means I should be playing a club with less spin like a takomo 201 instead. Or maybe some other budget brand. Thoughts? 

FYI I game Dynacraft copperhead CU irons, and I don’t even know the lofts because I bought them from a garage sale. 

KBains 

25 minutes ago, Kbains5 said:

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on which to get, if it’s a worthwhile option to continue learning on mbs to learn shaping etc., or should I get a different model altogether? I already play a spinny ball in the current Kirkland balls, but I wonder if that means I should be playing a club with less spin like a takomo 201 instead. Or maybe some other budget brand. Thoughts? 

People on the forum love both Sub70 and Takomo.   Which actual models would really depend on your swing and what you hit well and provide good performance numbers.  Can't tell that unless you have launch monitor data or someone watches you hit ball.   

There are people that play MBs to try and learn how to shape the ball and/or hit the ball better.   This will really depend on hard you practice and work on your swing.   Do I think shot shaping is important?   The answer to that is no;  you can play a stock ball flight and play scratch or better golf.     

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’m a big fan of Sub 70. Quality clubs and service. I would give them a call and they will do a good job setting you up in the proper irons and shaft. . They do have some fitting centers they work with. They could tell you if they have one close to you. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

You might also look into Maltby irons from Golfworks. Amazing clubs at the best price you will find anywhere. There is a Maltby thread here on the forum where you can read up on them. 

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

23 hours ago, cnosil said:

Do I think shot shaping is important?   The answer to that is no;  you can play a stock ball flight and play scratch or better golf.     

Agreed. In the last month I've had 3 of the best rounds I've ever played (one +3 and two +6s playing 9 holes each) using the same clubs and shot shape I've had for years. The only real things that changed were:

1) forcing myself to put in more practice time (thank you Volvik testing obligations); 

2) putting a LOT of time into my 75 yards and in game, mostly my putting and bump and runs with my 48 degree; and 

3) working on my core stability to help my ball striking. 

OP, if you want to get new irons because you've got the golf bug and are getting better, awesome! I did the same thing a few years ago with my CBXs. If you want to keep learning how to shape your shot, do it! But are either absolutely essential for your development? Nah.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I fully agree that shot shaping isn't nearly as important for us Am's as it is for a professional. The most important thing for us Am's is to have a stock shot and to be really good with that.

If you want to learn to shot shape, great. But don't let that take away from really perfecting your stock shot. You don't need to go to CB/MB irons to learn to shot shape. PD irons can shot shape, while also giving you a ton more forgiveness. GI irons can technically shot shape, although maybe just not as much of a shape.

So many think that the only way to improve your iron play is to play blades (CB/MB) to force you to strike better. That will just frustrate and potentially cause improper swing adjustments we don't want.

If you want to upgrade irons as your game has improved, we all can agree that's a good thing. Go get fit. Tell the fitter what you want to do. They can help find the irons that can help you, both from a forgiveness and workability perspective as you continue to improve. Just going CB/MB because of something you want to learn will just end up being a waste of money.

I used to play Takomo, Sub70, New Level, and PXG DTC irons. So I have a bit of experience with the main ones (just missing Haywood experience). I recommend Sub70 over all other DTC's due to my experiences, especially after dealing with customer support for 4 of the various primary DTC's. Plus, Sub70 offers far more options from both an iron perspective, but also from a shaft and grip perspective.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

On 8/13/2024 at 2:32 PM, Kbains5 said:

I’m a high handicapper who’s still learning the game, but I feel my swing is coming to a consistent repeatable point. I’m thinking I should spring for a mb cb combo from either sub 70 or takomo given how affordable they are. 

FYI I game Dynacraft copperhead CU irons, and I don’t even know the lofts because I bought them from a garage sale. 

Sub 70s are a great option. Unlike Takomo, they are in the US so shipping time is way less, so if you have issues with something you won't have to wait and pay higher shipping costs. @Shrek74 mentioned more options as well with Sub 70s, I'm also thinking them for my next set because of this. I do like my New Levels though. As far as mixed set, I'd still go with a PD club if I were you. MBs are nice when you are a consistent ball striker, but any miss is going to be much worse than with PD clubs. Just my 2 cents.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

I'll advocate for Sub70. I don't have any experience with the others so I can't give an opinion on them. 

When I was in the market for new clubs, I ran the gambit with the big OEM's. After due diligence of hitting clubs I had decided on  Titleist T200. I was just trying to figure what shaft. Then I read this forum about Sub70. Looked them up, used their demo club option and now I really had decision. I had Sub7- 699 pro irons and went to a local CC that sold Titleist and compared them side by side using trackman numbers as well being able to see the difference on the range. I decided on Sub70 699 pro irons over the T200's , Why? Price, they were almost identical in every aspect, feel, loft, distance, spin, the only difference was cost. I saved over $500 which at the time was the cost of new driver and up graded shaft. 

Noting against any of the big name or DTC builders, these just fit for me and what I wanted. 

One other thing you can look into from Sub 70 is they have fitting carts with experienced fitters. You can find them on the Sub70 website. 

Good Luck in your search

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Get a quality fitting if you haven’t already, then let the manufacturer tell you which club and shaft combo they have in house that gets you where you need to be. Sub 70 will order-in shafts for you if you wish as well. The great part (in my experience) with both DTM mfgs I’ve bought clubs from (Sub 70 and Maltby) is that you can speak directly to them and they’re more than happy to talk your ear off about what they offer and how that matches what the fitting suggests you need!

In the age of on-line, digital purchasing…try analog! Make a phone call. 

Edited by RyanGi

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

• 2 weeks later...

I've only dealt with Sub 70, and finally ordered some wedges from them this weekend. Other than the customer service I love that they have the demo program. I was able to take a 6 and 9 iron of the 699 Pros out onto the course and use them, not just hitting them off a mat. Their online fitting questionnaire gave results close to what I was fitted with (lie angle, staff stiffness, and club length), but a fitting will give you specific shafts. The 699 Pro V2s are their current Players distance irons, but you could also demo the 659 CBs, TCs, or MBs for under $100 after you return them. Most other DTCs just tell you to buy a single club to try it out, which could get expensive.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic MAX LS
Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Rescue 
4-GW: :taylormade-small: Burner Plus
SW: :macgregor-small: MS8 
LW:  Slazenger Wrath 60
Putter: ? It was a gift with no brand on it
Bag: :Ogio: Fuse 2024 Neon Sport