TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Review

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question... but...: Do any of you know if you can buy the Rocketbladez irons as a 'heads only' set? If so, can you point me in the direction of who might sell them. Thanks heaps

Brad

Fraid you can't. None of the big OEM sell individual components, sorry.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fraid you can't. None of the big OEM sell individual components, sorry.

With one exception (unless TM shuts it down). Certain shops are Adams dealers that get head's only from them. Typically you still can't buy just the heads from them, but they'll build you up the Adams club with whatever shaft/grip/etc combo you want. Victory Custom golf for example (Ken's a good guy too. Great to deal with)

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• 2 weeks later...

Okay here's a question for our testers - the longest iron that I have in my bag currently is a 6 iron - is it really that easy to hit these long irons -

I have a serious offer on the table for my mizunos - one that would allow me to purchase what I wanted in the Rocketbldz and have some significant cash left over after the fact - I'm entertaining the notion of selling, buying and saving.

If I were to do that I can get a 5 through AW through global golf with my specs at what I would consider a good price - the question is - do I go 5 or just 6? I had some success with the Mizuno 5 - actually some pretty good success with it.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

• SPY VIP

Played yesterday. Fighting my swing changes big time.

I tee'd off with a 4 once and 5 twice, also hit one 5 from the fairway. Never a question of how straight any of those shots were going to be and they climb fast and just went. I'm gonna say it that the long irons are stupid easy to hit and they just go.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

Okay here's a question for our testers - the longest iron that I have in my bag currently is a 6 iron - is it really that easy to hit these long irons -

I have a serious offer on the table for my mizunos - one that would allow me to purchase what I wanted in the Rocketbldz and have some significant cash left over after the fact - I'm entertaining the notion of selling, buying and saving.

If I were to do that I can get a 5 through AW through global golf with my specs at what I would consider a good price - the question is - do I go 5 or just 6? I had some success with the Mizuno 5 - actually some pretty good success with it.

Put it this way, I never bagged a 4i until this set. The 5i is stupid easy to hit. I'm still working on getting better with the 4.

Thanks guys - I've got to tell you that all three of you have set a huge bar for anyone who tests in the future.

I got to hit 8 iron, 9 iron, Wedge and 6 iron the other day - I couldn't believe how far I hit the 8 iron when I went to lay up with it on a par 5 - I was trying to lay up to the 100 and hit it to 85 - a club and a half past where I would normally have hit my 8. I hit the 6 iron from where I should have hit a 5 maybe even a 4 into a fierce wind and hit it on the front fringe. Every shot I hit went as you've described - dead straight, high, the wedge that I hit was from a hanging lie, 127 down wind, firm green, took one hop and spun dead pin high 15 feet left - right where it started off that side hill lie.

I'm dying to hit the AW - I saw it when I went for my fitting but only hit it a time or two - my friend didn't get the AW so I didn't get to try one.

EVNRoll ER 5

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

It was about 37.4°F yesterday and there was a strong cool breeze. I was getting about 180-185 out of that 5 iron in those conditions.

Does that count the roll on the frozen turf? :)

EVNRoll ER 5

So if you open the face a bit, sounds like it won't cut much, but do you get a higher trajectory? Thinking along the lines of taking 5-10 yds off a 5i. Honestly was not even considering these until I went back and read the reviews.

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

So if you open the face a bit, sounds like it won't cut much, but do you get a higher trajectory? Thinking along the lines of taking 5-10 yds off a 5i. Honestly was not even considering these until I went back and read the reviews.

Yes. It will still fade, but mine only go about 3-5yds right. The other day I hit a 120yd "flop" with the 9i that went so high it was almost out of sight (not really, but you get the point).

The biggest problem I see is if I bag these, I'll need a new 3 hybrid as the 4 iron is probably close to my 7w, and my 4 wood would be in danger too. Not that shiny new toys are a 'problem'

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Hey RevKEV,

Not a tester but I was bought these for XMAS.

I only played 6-PW in my miura's. When I made the switch I had a significant gap between my 5 hybrid and my miura 6 irons so to close the gap I went 7-PW 1 degree strong. This worked great for me. Doing this allowed me to add a club on either end of my bag too. I added, for now, a 61 degree wedge but am tinkering with a 2 hybrid (possible the Adam LS) for added options of the tee for the longer courses.

so my answer to your questions is yes these things even when mishit go straight and as longer as you don't lay sod over the ball travel within 5 yards of full distance on mishits. so on short par fours if you tee off and mishit the ball it's straight and not like you are hitting 2 extra clubs in the green unless of course its a shanker.

I would go 6-AW 1 degree strong and you can tinker with your current wedges (strong or weak to fill gaps) and possibly have room for another club.

Just my opinion. I am still getting used to the yardages but they are coming together fairly well. main thing is swing issues so I have that working for me:)

GOOD LUCK

Thanks again guys - no big deal on the gap on the wedges as I still hadn't resolved the wedge gap issue with my Mizunos - I was just resolving the gap between my longest iron used and first hybrid. I hadn't even started the GW - next wedge thing.

Right now it looks good on paper:

Rocketbladz AW 50

SCOR 55,60

Those who have SCORs know they are wicked long - I'm as long with the SCOR 55 as I am with the 53 I've had in and out of the bag and I'm as long with the SCOR 60 as I was with my old 58. Full shots from the fairway have never been an issue for me with those clubs and I'm working hard with them to familiarize myself with them around the greens.

Two weeks and they get to go for real on the course in a somewhat competitive situation.

EVNRoll ER 5

Don't forget the gaps on your wedges get messed up too!

True that. That is probably going to be an issue regardless of the direction I go. I currently have a 46* PW with the MX-900's, and play a 52*/56*/60* set. My full swing PW is around 125-130, and full swing gap is 105, so that needed to fixed. If the RBZ gap was in the 115 range, the 52/56 combo would slot in nice, albeit at the expense of the finesse shots the lob gave me.

Excited as I am to bag some new irons, I need to get some rounds under my belt before embarking on the upgrade, after a 2 year layoff I'm a different person than I was, 30 lbs lighter, and stronger, and hopefully more consistent.

Looking forward to having a fun time solving the riddle.

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

True that. That is probably going to be an issue regardless of the direction I go. I currently have a 46* PW with the MX-900's, and play a 52*/56*/60* set. My full swing PW is around 125-130, and full swing gap is 105, so that needed to fixed. If the RBZ gap was in the 115 range, the 52/56 combo would slot in nice, albeit at the expense of the finesse shots the lob gave me.

Excited as I am to bag some new irons, I need to get some rounds under my belt before embarking on the upgrade, after a 2 year layoff I'm a different person than I was, 30 lbs lighter, and stronger, and hopefully more consistent.

Looking forward to having a fun time solving the riddle.

With the RBladez, I pulled the 3I in favor of another wedge.

If this helps......

Setup before RocketBladez

Driver

3W

18* Hybrid

3-PW

52*

56*

Putter

Setup with Rocketbladez

Driver

3W