Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Help me choose a suitable shaft for my SuperTri

Hi this is my first post and would like some help or advice thanks.

I have after 2 years of searching finally found a driver i like TM supertri.I play off a 12 at the moment but play recovery golf all day and i mean all day! from big block pushes.I have been through many many drivers in the last 2 years the super tri feel heavier and i seem to be able to feel where the head is easier i am hitting it straighter but shorter with high spin.Trouble is the launch angle seems a little too high.My thoughts are to get a heavier shaft (currently a stock 60 gram motore stiff) i thought 70 gram might help lower trajectory and be even more help with feeling where the club head is.I have a SS of 95-100 with a slow tempo reg/stiff to stiff is my correct fit for flex.

So my question is "what is a decent brand shaft etc i should get for this club and do you think going heavier shaft weight is the right move for control and to slightly lower my trajectory?"

To all you gurus and club tinkering people thankyou in advance.

• SPY VIP

I've found that the stock motore launches a bit high for me as well (true of most stock shafts). Off the rack shaft offerings seem to be geared more for the player who needs help getting the ball in the air, not lowering ball flight. I'm not sure you necessary need a heavier shaft, but it's certainly worth investigating. Based on my own experience with similar issues, the shafts that spring to mind are:

• UST ProForce V2 - It's cheap. Some say boardy (which I wouldn't disagree with), but I've grown to appreciate, if not love it.
  • Diamana Whiteboard - Great shaft, keeps my launch angle and spin rates in check, but $$$ (actually $$$$$).
  • Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - Another inexpensive shaft that performs well for me.
  • Oban Devotion - No first hand experience, but at $150 or so, it's in the middle of the price range, and people seem to love it.
  • Project X Graphite - Another I have no hands on experience with, but reviews are also favorable.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I have after 2 years of searching finally found a driver i like TM supertri.I play off a 12 at the moment but play recovery golf all day and i mean all day! from big block pushes.I have been through many many drivers in the last 2 years the super tri feel heavier and i seem to be able to feel where the head is easier i am hitting it straighter but shorter with high spin.Trouble is the launch angle seems a little too high.My thoughts are to get a heavier shaft (currently a stock 60 gram motore stiff) i thought 70 gram might help lower trajectory and be even more help with feeling where the club head is.I have a SS of 95-100 with a slow tempo reg/stiff to stiff is my correct fit for flex.

So my question is "what is a decent brand shaft etc i should get for this club and do you think going heavier shaft weight is the right move for control and to slightly lower my trajectory?"

Do you have some Launch Monitor #'s for me to look at??? that would help alot...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Do you have some Launch Monitor #'s for me to look at??? that would help alot...

jr field operative thanks for your input i do like the look of the oban shafts in particular the oban revenge 7.

Nicsherman sorry i have not been on a launch moniter with it i do understand that would help you help me better.

I live in Perth Australia it doesnt rain much and there is always a breeze the ground is hard so i need to lower the flight and spin a little to get more roll out.I like the look of the oban revenge7 stiff shaft (72gram) will this lower the flight trajectory? and what will the heavier shaft do to distance etc.

again thanks for your input

jr field operative thanks for your input i do like the look of the oban shafts in particular the oban revenge 7.

Nicsherman sorry i have not been on a launch moniter with it i do understand that would help you help me better.

I live in Perth Australia it doesnt rain much and there is always a breeze the ground is hard so i need to lower the flight and spin a little to get more roll out.I like the look of the oban revenge7 stiff shaft (72gram) will this lower the flight trajectory? and what will the heavier shaft do to distance etc.

again thanks for your input

no experience with the Oban shafts... But I have access to the Ping nFlight software that can compare shafts. I will do some research on Sat, and get back to you.... Cool??

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

no experience with the Oban shafts... But I have access to the Ping nFlight software that can compare shafts. I will do some research on Sat, and get back to you.... Cool??

That would be really great i appreciate you going to that much trouble to help me thanks.

P.S when i do choose a suitable shaft how do i get the end attachment for the r9 put on? can a golf shop supply and fit it? or would i have to send it to Taylormade?

That would be really great i appreciate you going to that much trouble to help me thanks.

P.S when i do choose a suitable shaft how do i get the end attachment for the r9 put on? can a golf shop supply and fit it? or would i have to send it to Taylormade?

Any good clubmaker should be able to use the tip of the existing shaft you have now

I have a revolving WITB policy.

The Oban Devotion seems like it would be a good fit for what you are looking to get out of the club. They do tend to play a bit soft to flex from my experience with them. I have the Devotion 8 in my 3 wood, it provides nice penetrating flight with a lower spin flight for good roll. I did tip it one half inch more than recommended for 3 wood installation.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I did a little checking with the Ping nFlight. It looks like the Graphite Design YSQ fits the bill. Flys lower than Devotion, and keeps the spin off. You might also try the VS Proto 75. Very similar properties to YSQ. Hope this helps.

I did a little checking with the Ping nFlight. It looks like the Graphite Design YSQ fits the bill. Flys lower than Devotion, and keeps the spin off. You might also try the VS Proto 75. Very similar properties to YSQ. Hope this helps.

Thanks to all who have had input and even more to you nicsherman for going to the extra trouble of using the ping nflight.I have had a vs proto shaft before and found it a little a fraction on the too stiff side as my tempo is not the fastest around.After muching surfing on the web it came down to the YSQ which i liked very much and the Oban revenge 7 i put and order in yesterday for the 72 gram Oban in the end with the r9 sleave fitted and spined to nuetral upright with a golf pride grip.All of that plus shipping came to $325 U.S from an outfit called Victory custom golf they were the only people i could find who sold that shaft so i hope they are a good company!

I will give an update once i get the shaft hopefully it wont be up for sale on this site in the near future lol.

Thanks

Thanks to all who have had input and even more to you nicsherman for going to the extra trouble of using the ping nflight.I have had a vs proto shaft before and found it a little a fraction on the too stiff side as my tempo is not the fastest around.After muching surfing on the web it came down to the YSQ which i liked very much and the Oban revenge 7 i put and order in yesterday for the 72 gram Oban in the end with the r9 sleave fitted and spined to nuetral upright with a golf pride grip.All of that plus shipping came to $325 U.S from an outfit called Victory custom golf they were the only people i could find who sold that shaft so i hope they are a good company!

I will give an update once i get the shaft hopefully it wont be up for sale on this site in the near future lol.

Thanks

I would love to get a full report on how the shaft works when you get it.... Good Luck..

Check back in a couple of weeks and i will let you know how i got on.

Absolutely. Hope the weather there is better than the weather here.

You are not wrong about Victory Golf they sent me a Aldila DVS shaft for free in with my new Oban shaft ok the DVS was secondhand but a freebie is a freebie so i was impressed right from the start.I didnt think much of the colour scheme of the revenge but it looks much better in real life compared to how it looks on their website.Victory golf has done a great job of the assembly putting the r9 sleeve on looks vey clean as well as a golfpride multi compound grip with the shaft spined to nuetral upright.I will be having a hit tomorrow with it i should get a good read on trajectory and dispersion etc but distance might be a little difficult as it is a championship course that i havent played before.I hope i have got this right or close to right as i now have an $880 driver and that is a lot of golf balls not to hit out of bounds to pay it off lol.

• 4 months later...

Well i sold the shaft after using it for about a month i got lots of comments on how good it looked but performance was poor i lost 20 yards with the oban and everyone else including a couple of pros couldnt get get any distance out of it.It did lower ball flight though!

Anyway just another item i had to dispose of through Ebay i wont be buying anymore Oban products thanks everyone for your input.

Whatever you get, and $325 is a lot to pay!, do not go to this guy to get it fitted http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/2128-worst-club-build-ive-ever-seen/page__pid__31600#entry31600

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

From my experience, price isn't that big of a factor when looking at shafts. If you need a very specific weight/torque combo, you may be looking at $$$$ (say, an 83g/2.8* model- the only one like that is the MR Diamana Whiteboard), but if it's an "average" weight/torque, your options open up. For instance, I've gamed an Aldila NVS, GD YS-6 and ProLaunch Platinum in my drivers. I have since switched to a True Ace Blue Crush that I bought brand new for $17. I still put it out 270 yards, with the same draw as the Platinum (they're both ~75g and I feel the BC is similar in performance to the Platinum). Of course, you can buy whatever you wish/are comfortable with; but price, contrary to popular belief, isn't a determinate for performance.

Everyone has their "it" shaft. But pricepoint does NOT determine playability (or quality). What works for me might not work for you, and what works for you might not work for the next guy. That's why it's so important to get fit for your shaft- there's no sense in spending $60 blindly to find the shaft feels too boardy (low torque) just as it makes no sense to spend $300 on a shaft that's too noodly(high torque). That example works in reverse, as well. Seeing a fitter will eliminate a lot of the guesswork (and fruitless searching), allowing for an efficient means of homing in on your "it" shaft.

As an extra bit of advice: while your working on the shaft, look at your grip, as well. Too many people take it for granted. I did for the longest time. Awhile back I went from the "standard" method (just 2-way tape under the grip) to a "standard" size for my right hand and 3 extra wraps under my left hand (BTW, I'm a lefty). This prevents me from regripping in the middle of my swing, which also had a positive effect on my accuracy. Just some food for thought.

• 8 months later...

From my experience, price isn't that big of a factor when looking at shafts. If you need a very specific weight/torque combo, you may be looking at $$$$ (say, an 83g/2.8* model- the only one like that is the MR Diamana Whiteboard), but if it's an "average" weight/torque, your options open up. For instance, I've gamed an Aldila NVS, GD YS-6 and ProLaunch Platinum in my drivers. I have since switched to a True Ace Blue Crush that I bought brand new for $17. I still put it out 270 yards, with the same draw as the Platinum (they're both ~75g and I feel the BC is similar in performance to the Platinum). Of course, you can buy whatever you wish/are comfortable with; but price, contrary to popular belief, isn't a determinate for performance.

Everyone has their "it" shaft. But pricepoint does NOT determine playability (or quality). What works for me might not work for you, and what works for you might not work for the next guy. That's why it's so important to get fit for your shaft- there's no sense in spending $60 blindly to find the shaft feels too boardy (low torque) just as it makes no sense to spend $300 on a shaft that's too noodly(high torque). That example works in reverse, as well. Seeing a fitter will eliminate a lot of the guesswork (and fruitless searching), allowing for an efficient means of homing in on your "it" shaft.

As an extra bit of advice: while your working on the shaft, look at your grip, as well. Too many people take it for granted. I did for the longest time. Awhile back I went from the "standard" method (just 2-way tape under the grip) to a "standard" size for my right hand and 3 extra wraps under my left hand (BTW, I'm a lefty). This prevents me from regripping in the middle of my swing, which also had a positive effect on my accuracy. Just some food for thought.

I am also a lefty and was intrigued by your comment regarding tape under the left hand on the grip, would you care to elaborate on that? I have no idea what that does, or can do, to ball flight.

Archived