Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Getting rid of tennis/golfer's elbow tendonitis

ABeck1

My own stubborn-ness (playing through despite acute elbow pain) left me with elbow tendonitis for like 2 1/2 months.  Just thought I'd share how the three key things I did to get rid of it, since I know it's a problem.  

1.  Give it some rest and when you're ready, stretch everyday.  The secret is to do forearm stretches, shoulder stretches, AND wrist stretches.. there's a few at www.mobilitywod.com  

2.  If you want to speed healing and eliminate inflammation, supplement with joint health nutrients and cissus.  I used Elbow Revive simply because it's not expensive, it is effective, and has everything you need in it (www.elbowrevive.com).  You could also buy each ingredient separate, but it'd be a pain in the ass.  

3.  Do eccentric exercises like reverse wrist curls (just google for others).  These help strengthen the muscles and tendons so that the injury doesn't return.  

After doing all of these three thing religiously for like 6 weeks, I'm feeling like I'm back to where I was before the injury.  Hope that helps.  Stay healthy, dudes. 

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward some are strong at the broken places."

- Hemingway

I used a pressure cuff the last six months and have had two cortisone shots in my elbow. Unfortunately mine is not just golfer's elbow and at some point I will have to have it repaired. Hoping some rest over the winter will do the trick.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Thanks sadly my elbows are the only things that don't hurt.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Strengthening those forearm muscles will in turn strengthen your tendons and allow them to handle the stress being put on them and coupled with stretching to help maintain tissue flexibility/ integrity.

eccentrics in this case means the lowering phase (where you palm moves from neutral or parralel to the floor and moves toward the bottom of your forearm) which allows the muscle to work without stressing the tendon as heavily.

All of that is well and good but golfers elbow or medial epicondylitis, when it hurts inside of the forearm/ elbow, can be caused easily by hitting a lot fat shots or where you flick the right hand at the ball, or just overuse. If you have weak or tight forearm musculature all that stress goes to the tendon.

Tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis, when it hurts on the outside of your elbow/forearm, can be caused by flicking the left wrist, steep angle and high velocity, or just from overuse. Same thing as medial epicondylitis, weak and/or tight musculature Leads to a lot of stress on tendons.

Sorry to thread jack but couldn't resist dropping some more info on this.

I know some people think any form of weight training will bulk them up, but that is not entirely true, and depending on your age and actual training regime that may not even occur. Hope this shows how strenth training and flexibility can work in your golf favor.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I used a pressure cuff the last six months and have had two cortisone shots in my elbow. Unfortunately mine is not just golfer's elbow and at some point I will have to have it repaired. Hoping some rest over the winter will do the trick.

Did you get any info on this? tendonitis vs tendinosis. Because if it's tendinosis that is harder to treat because it is a condition where the composition of the tendon changes at the cellular level.

Where tendonitis is acute and responds to anti inflammatories, tendinosis is a chronic condition and requires a different treatment to encourage collagen repair.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I have a small tear in my UCL that at some point will need to be cleaned up. Not sure I will ever get to the level of having Tommy John surgery now that I stopped playing ball several years back. The main issue right now is tendinitis which just needs some rest that I decided not to do until golf season was over.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

My elbows have been in constant assortments of stiff, locked up or downright unbendable over the last 5 years. Hockey has caused me to have them overextend and develop issues. I've found ice treatments are great, I use a regular elbow support you get at a sporting goods store sometimes and time is the best help. 

From experience, ice helps healing and cuts down the reaggravation period by at least a few days. If the elbow starts feeling stiff one ice treatment and a night in the support helps a lot.If it gets serious I tend to take a week off and ice up every day or so. If that doesn't help I've found cold laser at a chiropractors office really did some great work cutting down inflammation. Not sure if it was placebo or if it worked really well, but that solved the worse case I've ever had.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 5 years later...

Rest and treatments will lessen the symptoms of stressed injury.  It'll be a reoccurring issue, If you don't quit the activity which caused the symptoms in the first place.

Strengthening the forearm muscles is one way of preventing the pain from coming back often but, no medicine nor therapy will be rid of the pain forever.  Unless, we could unplug the body parts and exchange for a new one.  I would also advise not to over work your body parts in hope to get back the youthful performance or eliminate the aches and pains.  I don't believe we're at a stage which we could offer a better solution than conserve and ration.   

Facing the mortality, accept it and ration out whatever you have left. 

I can't comment on anything medical, but from another angle, try oversized grips and graphite shafts. They have helped my elbow and shoulder pain go away

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

On 12/5/2015 at 9:16 AM, ABeck1 said:

My own stubborn-ness (playing through despite acute elbow pain) left me with elbow tendonitis for like 2 1/2 months.  Just thought I'd share how the three key things I did to get rid of it, since I know it's a problem.  

1.  Give it some rest and when you're ready, stretch everyday.  The secret is to do forearm stretches, shoulder stretches, AND wrist stretches.. there's a few at www.mobilitywod.com  

2.  If you want to speed healing and eliminate inflammation, supplement with joint health nutrients and cissus.  I used Elbow Revive simply because it's not expensive, it is effective, and has everything you need in it (www.elbowrevive.com).  You could also buy each ingredient separate, but it'd be a pain in the ass.  

3.  Do eccentric exercises like reverse wrist curls (just google for others).  These help strengthen the muscles and tendons so that the injury doesn't return.  

After doing all of these three thing religiously for like 6 weeks, I'm feeling like I'm back to where I was before the injury.  Hope that helps.  Stay healthy, dudes. 

I have found these to be pure gold.

and this is the one I ended up with and have been wearing for two years now.

I tried the rest and DIY physio treatments but they were short lived.  I have also just switched to composite iron shafts but have no play time with them as of yet.  But, by all accounts, they will help too.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)