Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Day 244 (17 Sep 24) -  Worked on setup and controlled swings (think punchy 3/4 swings) focused on keeping tempo as smooth as possible (of course this was in a very soggy backyard)….

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

In searching for the keys to finding more clubhead speed/distance, I keep running into the weight shift as a major factor. When I was taking lessons last year, I actually brought that up to the instructor but he kinda brushed past/ignored that. I don't know if that's because I was already doing things properly or he didn't want to bother with it. Because of that, I'm seriously toying with buying one of those pressure plate training aids that are supposed to ingrain the proper weight shift (Rypboard, Pressure Plate from Whygolf, etc.). Anybody have any experience with these or suggestions?

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

I had a fun and interesting practice.  I started off with some block practice focusing on):

• Shaft lean
  • tightening my dispersion (just need reps)
  • face angle at contact

Then I went over to some more Random practice.

By the way, I love having the personal virtual reality simulator (and I have a few pics to show from my simulator ;).

Shaft Lean.
I recently read an article by Adam Young (https://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=Pycwqn&m=hhbqgrhdNfD1dxY&b=asNF7CmFGkp7XOPpegSSaw) where he was talking about shaft lean and how that can help to make you a more consistent ball striker and to be a more consistent player.  That got my bells ringing because I'm looking to be more predictable with my clubs.  

It was a bit rocky (see the image below and the dispersion is - OK, but not great) and got better as the practice went on (see the 8i only screen shot... much tighter dispersion).

Dispersion.
That's pretty self explanatory.  The tighter the better. And I'm just needing reps.

Face angle:
On the "The Sweet Spot" podcast, (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-sweet-spot-golf-podcast/id1552917994?i=1000669648663) they were talking about face angle at contact and how professionals can tell a 1 degree difference.  the podcast was great, and talked about how to make small adjustments on the range or the course to help correct the 'miss' of the day.  For example, if you're drawing the ball a little too much, adjusting the face angle 1 degree more open should alleviate that.  And vise versa, if you're fading the ball too much, close down the face angle a little.  What I learned during this part of the exercise was that my eye wasn't quite seeing the line and I was drawing the ball some (a rare miss for me).  So, I left the face open just a smidge... and was perfectly online.

Then, over to Random practice so I could work on my short game (the 50-150 range random shots) and then a few at 175.  During my block practice, I was doing pretty well with the 175, but then fell short when I went to the random practice.  But, that's what practice is all for.

Anyway, that was today's practice.  

thanks for reading.

IMG_7107.PNG

IMG_7108.PNG

IMG_7110.PNG

MountainManJeff

I’m on a mission to consistently shoot in the 70’s. 
WITB

Nothing fancy. 
An off-the-shelf bag-in-a-box set of Top Flight clubs from Dicks 

:odyssey-small: Odyssey Rosie EXO mallet outter

I use a pretty cheap TourTrek push cart

i have a Bushnell ion2 Golf watch

:titleist-small: I use Titleist Prov1 golf balls (I also like the :callaway-small: Callaway chrome soft triple track)

home golf simulator is a $50 net, a Garmin Approach R10, and a Motivo golf mat. 

Light rain yesterday meant I was the only person on the front 9 after work. I took this opportunity to do some on course short some work. 

I dropped a ball at the 150, 130, and 100 mark at each hole and worked on my approaches and chipping if I missed the green.

It was good to actually practice on the course without holding anyone up. 10/10 would recommend 

My Bag: Driver: TaylorMade 9 deg. Stealth 2+. 3 Wood: TaylorMade Stealth 2+, 3 Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM 2 Max, 6 Iron: TaylorMade SIM 2 max, 5-P: TaylorMade P770 2024, 48: TaylorMade MG4, 52, 56: TaylorMade MG3, Putter: O-Works Marxman

13 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

In searching for the keys to finding more clubhead speed/distance, I keep running into the weight shift as a major factor. When I was taking lessons last year, I actually brought that up to the instructor but he kinda brushed past/ignored that. I don't know if that's because I was already doing things properly or he didn't want to bother with it. Because of that, I'm seriously toying with buying one of those pressure plate training aids that are supposed to ingrain the proper weight shift (Rypboard, Pressure Plate from Whygolf, etc.). Anybody have any experience with these or suggestions?

I know several companies make shift board style training aids. 

Whygolf

Orange Whip 

Downshift 

PGM

RYpBoard

I would look on amazon, ebay, marketplace,  etc for the lowest price option. They are all similar.

You can also make your own with 2 tennis balls, cut in half, and Glued to the bottom of a skateboard deck or even 3/4" plywood. Or use a piece of.wood screwed to the middle. Tons of videos on it on YT

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

13 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I know several companies make shift board style training aids. 

Whygolf

Orange Whip 

Downshift 

PGM

RYpBoard

I would look on amazon, ebay, marketplace,  etc for the lowest price option. They are all similar.

You can also make your own with 2 tennis balls, cut in half, and Glued to the bottom of a skateboard deck or even 3/4" plywood. Or use a piece of.wood screwed to the middle. Tons of videos on it on YT

Took your suggestion and looked on eBay and found one at a decently discounted price. Could have been even better 24 hours earlier; I was in Charlotte, where the seller is located. I could have picked it up from him and saved the shipping. I got the Whygolf, by the way.

I don't have the equipment needed to build my own. By the time I got all that, it woulda been cheaper to buy it on eBay.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

Day 245 (18 Sep 24) - Picked back up with 7i in the backyard- hitting 1/2 shots focused again on setup and tempo. 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I had a couple putting sessions today, early morning coffee & putting and late evening in the last 1/2 hr of daylight.  The last few weeks I am working on getting a solid setup routine ingrained.  You'd think that should be easy but I found from round to round I would do something different in pre-shot routine or set up.  I am trying to increase my consistency and figure the less random my routine, the better. 

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Range session, small bucket. I was missing right alot today (not slicing) after playing a par 3 course.  Got on the range and not one single right sided shot.  Go figure!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

was hitting on the trackman last night. trying to dial into something consistent for the next couple of weeks before I try to break things down again. 

Currently inside to out with my driver with my miss being a big hook. face really closed down. Then you put any irons in my hand and I'm over the top with an open club face and I can't seem to get it squared. 

Very annoying. 

Applying for a Visa to live in Tempo Town

13 minutes ago, Gangles914 said:

was hitting on the trackman last night. trying to dial into something consistent for the next couple of weeks before I try to break things down again. 

Currently inside to out with my driver with my miss being a big hook. face really closed down. Then you put any irons in my hand and I'm over the top with an open club face and I can't seem to get it squared. 

Very annoying. 

tough combination for sure... 

committed to performance excellence

42 minutes ago, Gangles914 said:

I will say though, if that swing path can be consistent for my irons it produces a very buttery fade that I wouldn't mind playing. 

I agree 100%.. love playing a fade, the old saying "you can talk to a fade but you can't talk to a hook"

committed to performance excellence

Last month I have been doing slow swings with foam balls with lead arm only and with both hands on the club with a towel or something small in my lead arm pit. Working on keeping my arm against my chest in backswing and getting my sternum centered over my trail foot in the backswing. Posted some dewiz results of some full swings in the forum thread. This are coming along and am enjoying the changes I am seeing.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Doing what I can. Been swamped. 10 putts multiple times throughout the day on the perfect practice. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: bjohnson@northamericangolftour.com

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

On 9/17/2024 at 11:38 AM, MrJG300 said:

Worked on launch angles with my irons and hybrids. Played a best shot Sunday and found a lot of iron shots that were the right club choice, but produced a lower ball flight and would just run past the hole. Found something that worked, with opening the club face before the takeaway, but now to see if that will actually lead to a consistent result.

Welcome to the forums @MrJG300. Best of luck as you pursue your game. Definitely keep us in the loop.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

14 minutes ago, Dweed said:

Welcome to the forums @MrJG300. Best of luck as you pursue your game. Definitely keep us in the loop.

Thanks for the welcome @Dweed. I'll definitely keep you all up to date. Started playing 3 years ago and have already seen massive improvements.

Will play anywhere, anytime, with anyone

'Practice' today was more working on shoulders with crossover symmetry pre and post 'workout' drills and then some swing strength and speed work with Mach 3 Speedbomber (strength/ conditioning at top of back swing and transition and then follow through, swing rhythm) and jetstick (speed work and swing plane). I also did some banded rotation work and worked on mobility with a bit of yoga.

After the swing work with the Mach 3 stuff, I grabbed the driver to 'grease the groove' and work on swing feels. More of the same planned as a finisher for tomorrow morning's workout, followed later in the day by...

Short range session planned for tomorrow to work on driver routine, setup and swing feels. Main reason for going there, however, is to get a solid chipping green and putting session in. After work, I have some sim time booked to nail down a good dataset of shot stats for my irons (ahead of the P770 arrival, whenever they come through).

9 hours ago, Gangles914 said:

Very annoying. 

Strange. I've been the fighting the opposite! Ha ha.

I always used to have a fade with every club and a slice as my miss. Now it's fade with driver & 3W, draw with 7W and irons. Swing changes last year and I'm finally finding a good controllable middle ground. Well, until it all goes down the pan again...

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Day 246 (19 Sep 24) - Worked with the 9i in the backyard - similar to yesterday, more of a full swing using hard foam balls…good session on working on shot setup and hitting target points.  

Few weeks ago I began a golf club with 6 8th graders who have never played before. We hit the course for the first time today and played three holes. It was good practice for me to remember all the fundamentals I somehow forget when I'm focused on my own round.

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X