Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tour Experience Golf (TXG) on YouTube

@matt416 ...... before he was famous; funny how those Canadians stick together, eh!?!  ;)

https://youtu.be/LzpUefMkX6I?t=5m43s

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's actually been discussed

Just remember: if you do this, and people do watch it all day, you're going to unemploy a number of prospective customers

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Can't wait for the fairway wood video for average swing speed.  My 3 wood is great off the tee but sucks off of the ground.  Curious to see how much loft it might take to get a more versatile club in my bag without giving up too much off the tee.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Just remember: if you do this, and people do watch it all day, you're going to unemploy a number of prospective customers

I might have once (or twice, or...) checked to see new forum posts during work hours.  I am too afraid to open the forums at all now.  This thread and TXG are dangerous.

Has this been nominated for TOTY yet or do we have to wait until the end of the year to see the honorable mentions as well?

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

That's actually been discussed :lol: :lol:

Can I like this 1,000 times

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On the subject you mention....... "controlled environments will allow the exploration of thing like workability of blades vs GI".... I disagree.

My observation is that about 25 years ago companies such as PIng began using computer assisted design (CAD) systems to design iron club heads, and the result was an approximate 20% increase in the size (heel-to-toe and sole-to-top line) of the club head. While the larger club heads may have achieved the higher moment of inertia (MOI), which CAD systems target, the reality is that larger club heads are more challenging to square at impact than traditional (relatively small) iron head designs. This is especially true for shots played from grassy, sloped, or other less than ideal lies.

Karsten Solheim had beginners to Tour players all swinging and loving his deep cavity back perimeter weighted irons. Models like the Karsten 1-4 and his legendary Ping Eye 2 offered both the benefits of perimeter weighting and a reasonable club head size that was easy to square at impact.

The Tommy Armour 845 is another forgiving cavity back model of that era (pre CAD), which was suitable for any skill level, from beginner to Tour pro.

For the past 20 years or so all companies have used machine robots and CAD systems, controlled environments, to design their irons. The result is that now only mid size or larger heads are produced, sold. Today's "blade" from Titleist MB or Mizuno 18 has a 20% larger head size than traditional blades. Today's cavity back irons (such as Titleist AP 1, 2, or 3) has 20% to 30% larger head size than the iconic Ping Eye 2 or Tommy Armour 845 cavity backs.

I think that if industry people such as equipment designers, club fitters, and video makers leave the "controlled environments" of CAD software, level lie synthetic turf mats, machine robot swingers, simulators etc... and actually get on the golf courses to factor in real lies, their work with irons and wedges will improve.

loved this well said post. I sincerely believe if a average golfer were to practice with blades they would become so much better at ball striking and using their hands.

One challenge for the classic "range player" is that that after 2 or 3 swings he finds a groove with that particular club and begins striking consistently good shots.

But playing a golf course is quite different from the range. A player may swing a 7-iron on the first hole and not play that club again until the 14th hole. Or he may swing a hybrid from the fairway on the 5th hole, from the bunker on the 10th hole, off of the 12th hole long par tee box etc...

For video reviews and, or, fittings, of a hybrid for example, I think it is more relevant to make a swing or two from a lie in the rough, or a downhill fairway lie with water left and OB right. These are the types of shots a player faces when playing golf.

In contrast, I don't see how swinging the same club several times in a row, indoors using a simulator, from a synthetic turf level lie, is relevant to actually playing a golf course.

my top two posts I read on here by far.

I think what I'm saying is if we consider the feel of the shaft important then why don't people consider the feel of the shot off the club head more important? Like I do? I get it if you've never pured a blade but once you've had that most awesome feeling how could you ever go back to such a dead fish in every other club?

I think what I'm saying is if we consider the feel of the shaft important then why don't people consider the feel of the shot off the club head more important? Like I do? I get it if you've never pured a blade but once you've had that most awesome feeling how could you ever go back to such a dead fish in every other club?

Because the feel of all shaft can alter how a person swings.

Because not everyone strikes the ball in the middle or close to the middle of the club face. There are a few other threads about blades vs cavity back irons. Please don't turn this thread into a debate about that.

Because the feel of all shaft can alter how a person swings.

Because not everyone strikes the ball in the middle or close to the middle of the club face. There are a few other threads about blades vs cavity back irons. Please don't turn this thread into a debate about that.

Exactly and most amateurs don't want to or don't have the time to practice so larger heads that offer more forgiveness is what they go for. I'm in the boat that the current design of irons aren't negatively affecting performance on the course.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Finally got to watch the putter fitting video, absolutely awesome. Ian trashing on centre-shafted putters made me cringe though! Although the more I think about it, the more what he said makes sense, with how much it rotates. Probably why I don't have a consistent miss, I just miss all over the place. It has to be the putter! Great call guys, thanks!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Loved that you guys touched on angle of attack at the end. Such a comprehensive video!

Thanks! One of our better ones I think. Was good timing, my coach was working on partial wedge shots with me in my last lesson – getting a system for 40, 60, 80 yard shots – that I was able to implement for this video to get that average speed we wanted to show.

Not very relevant to the thread, but I love me some ole grey isms. Skinny dog on a fat steak, bass on a fat junebug

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Not very relevant to the thread, but I love me some ole grey isms. Skinny dog on a fat steak, bass on a fat junebug

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Personally, I liked the attempted imitation of him in the Cleveland Testing thread, but can't remember who it was....

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Personally, I liked the attempted imitation of him in the Cleveland Testing thread, but can't remember who it was....

You can't copy a true original

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Thanks! One of our better ones I think. Was good timing, my coach was working on partial wedge shots with me in my last lesson – getting a system for 40, 60, 80 yard shots – that I was able to implement for this video to get that average speed we wanted to show.

I agree that this was one of your best videos.  There must be hundreds of golfers who can't hit a 3 wood off the deck that are blaming their swings.  This video saved me from trying to find a better 3 wood or a swing tip that could improve launch.  Now my search is to find a fairway wood with somewhere between 17-19 degrees of loft and then play with shaft length.  Nowhere have I seen a recommendation on fairway wood selection based on swing speed.  

For more clarification what do you think the minimum 3 wood (~15 degrees) swing speed is required to hit it off the deck?  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I agree that this was one of your best videos.  There must be hundreds of golfers who can't hit a 3 wood off the deck that are blaming their swings.  This video saved me from trying to find a better 3 wood or a swing tip that could improve launch.  Now my search is to find a fairway wood with somewhere between 17-19 degrees of loft and then play with shaft length.  Nowhere have I seen a recommendation on fairway wood selection based on swing speed.  

For more clarification what do you think the minimum 3 wood (~15 degrees) swing speed is required to hit it off the deck?  

Probably need to be at least 90mph or so with the 3 wood to start to make it viable off the deck – although I'm kind of just shooting in the dark with that based on our testing. The swing characteristics are a big factor, so a steeper player, someone that delivers too much dynamic loft, etc. may still benefit from a 15º (or lower) even if they are modest in swing speed. But generally speaking, a 4/5 wood is worth testing for just about anyone that struggles with a 3 wood. The added loft is so beneficial to the launch conditions and consistency – and even if someone is generating a bit too much spin with the higher loft, there's head designs like the Rogue SZ fairway to can help keep that in check.

Probably need to be at least 90mph or so with the 3 wood to start to make it viable off the deck – although I'm kind of just shooting in the dark with that based on our testing. The swing characteristics are a big factor, so a steeper player, someone that delivers too much dynamic loft, etc. may still benefit from a 15º (or lower) even if they are modest in swing speed. But generally speaking, a 4/5 wood is worth testing for just about anyone that struggles with a 3 wood. The added loft is so beneficial to the launch conditions and consistency – and even if someone is generating a bit too much spin with the higher loft, there's head designs like the Rogue SZ fairway to can help keep that in check.

So much this. I can't remember the last time I hit my 15 degree off the deck, further or better than my 18. Yet it is still in the bag

Well that is until Monday, when Ian probably tells me it'll be more effective as a walking stick.

Well that is until Monday, when Ian probably tells me it'll be more effective as a walking stick.

Sounds like you may already feel this way after the video.

While I don't hit it often, I do like my 3 wood. During my testing of 3 woods on a GCQuad, I am getting clubhead speeds right around 100 so I am guessing I am in the range of making it potentially worthwhile.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sounds like you may already feel this way after the video.

While I don't hit it often, I do like my 3 wood. During my testing of 3 woods on a GCQuad, I am getting clubhead speeds right around 100 so I am guessing I am in the range of making it potentially worthwhile.

So yes, i stand by my robot comment on Twitter!!

So yes, i stand by my robot comment on Twitter!!

Robot is about consistency and I will give that title to TXGs robot named Matt. My swing can be really bad at times.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For once I watched a TXG video and didn't feel the need to buy something at the end of it! I use my 3HL (16.5) off the deck mostly but off the tee every once in a while. I'm glad that somebody thinks it's a good option!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

So much this. I can't remember the last time I hit my 15 degree off the deck, further or better than my 18. Yet it is still in the bag

Mine end up as Tomato stakes!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

This was a great video and was good confirmation that I wasn't crazy switching out my 14.5 3 wood for a 16 4 wood. Loving the results so far and getting more distance from the fairway on average.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Archived