TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts ×

Dog friendly golf courses - UK

Josh_Golf_1.jpg

I'm one of those dog owners who never likes to leave my little pup sat at home when I don't need to and golf is an absolutely perfect excursion for him, a good long walk done in lots of short bursts (more perfect for him than some bigger dogs).

Dogs on a golf course may be a little bit of a controversial subject and many clubs won't allow them, but for those of us who do like to have the option I thought it would be worth having a directory of venues where you can take you little, furry friend.

My little guy is called Josh, he'll even walk alongside my bag without a lead attached and I've played plenty of hook-up games with people who have enjoyed his company, without a single negative comment on his being there.

So long as people are happy for this topic to exist, we'll try to keep a top level directory in this post as courses are added and it would be good if people who choose to contribute could give a review of the course either here or in a separate thread that can be linked to.

Please let me know of any courses where dogs are welcome and their location.

I'll start with a couple now and add reviews in the next few days, then edit this post as the topic hopefully takes off.

Dog friendly courses - UK

Birmingham

Boldmere

Cambridgeshire

Cambridge Meridian, Toft

Devonshire

Tavistock, Tavistock

Hertfordshire

Ash Valley

Suffolk

Aldeburgh

Scotland

Dunbar, Dunbar

Gleneagles, Perth & Kinross

St Andrews, Fife

The Glen, North Berwick

Josh_Golf_2.jpg

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

I'd like to take my two golfing they'd probably chase all the geese off of the course if I let them. But for me I'd have a hard time keeping my two bigger dogs under control for 4 hours without letting them go off leash to run.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What??

I can only imagine how terrible of an idea this would be here.

We can't even get people to fix pitch marks, not spit sunflower seeds everywhere... now we want people to pick up dog crap? Hahahaha.

I mean it's cool, if I liked my dog. But I'd be a bit mad if my ball landed in a pile of Great Dane droppings.

I love my puppy but would never consider taking her to the course. On the course I don't want to hear dogs barking or running around, not to mention it can be challenging enough to putt around goose poop on greens.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I do think the dog itself is a huge part of the equation, of course. You can see my dog in the pictures, you could forget he was there really.

That said, I know someone who takes a German Shepherd who is brilliant around the course. Obviously you do have to be a responsible dog owner...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

I love the idea, but my beagle would follow her nose and pull my ClicGear away with her. With the right dog, it'd be perfect.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - TaylorMade Qi10 - Mitsubishi Diamana 60g (S)
3 Wood  - Callaway OG Big Bertha - RCH 90 (Firm)
5 Wood - Cobra Speed LD (L)
Driving Iron - New Level NLU-01
5i - PW - Wilson Staff D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - Cleveland CBX
58* - Cleveland CBX Full Face 2
Putter - Ping Craz-e
Bag - Sun Mountain 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  Titleist AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I do think the dog itself is a huge part of the equation, of course. You can see my dog in the pictures, you could forget he was there really.

That said, I know someone who takes a German Shepherd who is brilliant around the course. Obviously you do have to be a responsible dog owner...

Agree, but those words are hard to get put together.

Responsible and Dog Owner.

Not saying it wouldn't be fun to have mans best friend out there at all. I'm looking to get a new dog that I'd love to take everywhere with me, but worried that other people won't be able to control their 200 pound monster dogs.

the St Andrews courses are all dog friendly, as is Gleneagles

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Not exactly on topic but I have brought my dog to the course on many occasions however never golfing. When I work a long shift he is in the proshop with me hanging out and have only had great feedback

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I had the pleasure of playing Tavistock in the UK last year, and dogs on the course were the norm. It was a pleasure to see that, and there were absolutely no instances where the dogs were a bother.

I wish golfers in the US would loosen the their tight whiteys a bit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

The only dogs I've seen on any courses here in the US belong to the Super or someone on the maintenance crew, and most commonly are geese chaser-offers.

Did take one of my dogs on the course once but that was after-hours when it was empty, and I wasn't playing golf .. was there to "close" so I gave him some running around time.

With the right dog and the right dog owner it could be a lot of fun .. especially if the dog could find and mark wayward balls! .. but I think I'm gonna have to agree with the others who've said it just would not at all work here........

Oh, and Jon Brittan - your Josh is a very cute little guy!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The only dogs I've seen on any courses here in the US belong to the Super or someone on the maintenance crew, and most commonly are geese chaser-offers.

Did take one of my dogs on the course once but that was after-hours when it was empty, and I wasn't playing golf .. was there to "close" so I gave him some running around time.

With the right dog and the right dog owner it could be a lot of fun .. especially if the dog could find and mark wayward balls! .. but I think I'm gonna have to agree with the others who've said it just would not at all work here........

Oh, and Jon Brittan - your Josh is a very cute little guy!!!

My puppy would go find and bring you a ball back even if you don't want her to lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just got back home from a week in Scotland, and I feel like most of the courses we played were friendly to dogs, as long as they were kept on leads.  For certain the Glen in North Berwick, and Dunbar allowed dogs.  North Berwick GC does not allow golfers to bring their dogs, per their website, but people cross the course to access the beach with their dogs regularly.  

Interesting, while googling I found this site, which lists the dog policy of many golf clubs

https://finegolf.co.uk/golf-courses/western-gailes/

From my travels to the UK and Ireland, I've found that there are many more facilities open to dogs than I see in the US.  I've also found that the dogs I see on golf courses, in pubs, and in other public places are uniformly well-trained and well0-mannered.  Not meaning to over-generalize, but I simply haven't had that same experience in the US.  While there are many well-trained dogs here, there seem to be a higher percentage of dogs that would present real problems on a golf course or in a pub.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 3 years later...

Bringing dogs on the course is one of the oldest traditions of the sports.  The very finest courses in the world - Wentworth, St. Andrews, Muirfield, Sunningdale, Turnberry, Loch Lommond - all welcome dogs on the course.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:23 AM, Shankster said:

What??

I can only imagine how terrible of an idea this would be here.

We can't even get people to fix pitch marks, not spit sunflower seeds everywhere... now we want people to pick up dog crap? Hahahaha.

I mean it's cool, if I liked my dog. But I'd be a bit mad if my ball landed in a pile of Great Dane droppings.

Bringing dogs on the course is one of the oldest traditions of the sports.  The very finest courses in the world - Wentworth, St. Andrews, Muirfield, Sunningdale, Turnberry, Loch Lommond - all welcome dogs on the course.

This is awesome!!! I’d love to take my dog with me for a round.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'd love to bring my dog to the course, but she'd catch scent of something, take off, and I'd spend my time looking for her instead of playing.

If she were a well-behaved dog like we only see on TV and in movies, I'd definitely do it.

She calms me down and I'd play better--until she took off.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball